Switching Positions

Where to now?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Track 9. HABITS OF MY HEART by Jaymes Young | ♩ 

 

“Can we talk?”

 

The Other Baekhyun propped himself comfortably on the couch in the living room, after they settled inside the mansion. Despite the fact that the twins were left in the hands of their grandparents, Rara didn’t like bothering her mom and dad with a task that’s supposed to be entrusted to her and Baekhyun. And as if she wasn’t that eager to part with the twins, she had to spend the rest of her time with a different version of her husband. 

For someone who’s been married for over a century, she thought by now she’s seen every single ragged edge on her partner, but with the appearance of this entity in her life, Rara thought otherwise. 

 

“What do you want to talk about?” He asked casually.

 

Rara stood on one leg and crossed her arms, looking at him intently. “I wanna propose a deal.” As soon as the word ‘deal’ slipped out of , the Other Baekhyun smiled at her with amusement. “And what would that deal be about?”

“I’d do you a favor every single time you help me out.” Rara offered. She tried her best to mask the hesitance in her voice because God knows how risky it is to have negotiations with the devil. “It doesn’t even have to be about getting Baekhyun back in one piece. You just—” She breathed in deeply. “—I just need you to be good.” 

 

The Other Baekhyun stared at her like she was a meal, contemplating whether or not he should devour her; he slowly ran his index finger against his lower lip, watching her ominously. Outside, Rara was stone-cold and unbothered, but on the inside, the alarms went off everywhere. Run. Get away from him. He’s dangerous. But the fastest way to get to Baekhyun was through him, well, through another side of him, so she had no choice but to it up, or she’ll end up running in circles.

 

“I see that you’re a little bit desperate to put me back where I belong.” The Other Baekhyun grinned at her. “I will commend you for that. I’m not sure if you’re worthy of knowing the solution to your problem, though.” 

“Let me prove it to you, then.” Rara countered with might. “Give me a chance.” 

In a blink of an eye, the Other Baekhyun towered over her, caressing her face. “My, what strong grit you have, Rara.” He whispered, leaning close to her. “So bloody enticing.” 

“We haven’t come to an agreement yet.” Rara reminded, narrowing her eyes at him.

“And an agreement, we shall have.” The Other Baekhyun said, retreating his hand, stepping back a bit further from her. “A favor for every aid. Deal.”  Relief flooded Rara’s entire being. Well, thank God. “A chance to redeem Baekhyun as a whole...sure, why not?” The Other Baekhyun grinned at her with entertainment. “It’ll be a lot of fun, watching you, testing you...seeing you rack your brains trying to reach him.” 

“I’m not an experiment, you know.” 

He laughed. “Oh love, as much as I want to play for the sole reason of coaxing reactions out of you, that’s not what I’m aiming for here.”

“So, what’re you gonna do?” She asked in a mocking tone. “Aggravate me until my patience’s end?”

“I won’t tell you.” The Other Baekhyun simpered. “I won’t tell you anything at all.” 

“What am I supposed to do then?”

“You won’t have to do anything.” The Other Baekhyun tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, her cheek, and tilted her chin. “You just—” He moved closer to her until his mouth was beside her ear. “I just need you to be good.” 

 

Well, I’ll be damned. Rara thought. I just ran one lap on this oval. We have come a full circle. She looked at him intently, as he beamed at her like he didn’t just make her eat her own words. 

 

“Wish me luck.” Rara sighed deeply. 

“Nah, I wouldn’t wish that.” The Other Baekhyun smirked at her. “Not even on my mate.” He snickered.

 

I think I’m gonna be sick. 


 

And luckily, she wasn’t.

But unfortunately, another person was.

 

Well, technically, that was a lie. 

 

November 26, Friday morning.

 

For the past three days, the Other Baekhyun didn’t want to work. Not because he was overworked, or not feeling well...he just didn’t feel like it. And because Rara worked in the night, she’d drop by at Park & Co. in the morning and take whatever files the Other Baekhyun can work on from home. ‘Do demons—or whatever he is—even get sick?’ Chanyeol would ask. They didn't know what to identify him as because as it turns out, Hyerin, whom Chanyeol consulted, also didn't know anything about the matter. ‘You tell me, Yeol.’ She’d reply tiredly. Her father would ask the same question, except he’d say werewolf (instead of ‘demon—or whatever he is’) because their father wasn't made aware of the whole situation, and Rara’d say she’s not sure but since she’s a doctor, she’d keep a close eye on him for a week.

 

So much for asking him to be good. 

 

To be fair, he did work on whatever she brought home. But Rara was a doctor, not his secretary, or his maid; she was supposed to be his mate, his wife. This was a great injustice not only to her profession but to her dignity as his partner as well. If he doesn’t go to work the next day, then he’ll have been absent for five days, which only leaves one more room before the weekend sets in, and Rara decided she wasn’t going to let that happen. So in the morning, she drove to his office, took his workload off the hands of his secretary Jintae and went straight home. 

 

Her heels clicked against the marble floors of the mansion as she marched, briefcase in hand, up to the master’s bedroom. As her hand closed in the doorknob, she opened it ferociously and strode to the study table, turned around, and crossed her arms. 

 

‘Do godawful beings like you go to sleep?’ Rara casually asked the other day. 

The Other Baekhyun simply grinned at her, used to her calling him just about every single atrocious insult in the book, but never his name. ‘Of course. It’s essential. That’s how the devil works. Sleeping on your good deeds.’

 

“You’re always so grumpy in the morning.” He looked at her intently, wrapped around the comforter like a burrito. “You don’t need sleep, you’ve had your coffee. What’s making you angry so early, love?” 

And to pair with that cheesy nickname, he flashed her that annoying smile that ticked her off so much. How is it possible that this is the same mouth that she would sometimes not want to leave her body? 

“Wow, isn’t it ironic how the very reason why I’m furious is also asking why I’m furious?” Rara hissed. “You gotta go to work, Satan. I’m not the pizza delivery guy. If you keep doing this, it'll be my dad who’ll bring these papers to you.” 

“Ooh, I’m terrified.” The Other Baekhyun sarcastically. 

Rara’s eye

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter