Cold on the phone / Close to you

Where to now?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Track 17. ISSUES by Julia Michaels | ♩ 

 

Rara excused herself, to take a bath, but really, she made her way to the balcony to get out. 

 

If she went through the front door, Kibum would start to wonder if the bathroom was outside their house. She took her coat, wrapped a scarf around her neck, and put on her boots. Upon unlocking the sliding door, she felt a strong gust of chilly air hit her face. She immediately slipped out and shut the door. She leaped to the rooftop to check the situation, and from her observation, the snow was deep, but not deep enough that it’ll scale up to her knees. She’d have to jump from roof to roof to save time and she’d also have to leap in a very feeble manner, that would only cause enough suspicion that it was a cat that hit the roof. The pros and cons of being superhuman—free to use your abilities so long as you’re the only one who’s there to see it. When Rara was sure of her tactics, she leaped off from their roof then onto their neighbor’s. 

After 10 minutes of jumping from roof to roof, Rara reached a part of the city that was not experiencing that much of a snowstorm. She swiftly landed on an empty alley and emerged from the darkness. She entered the first convenience store that she spotted.  

She took a basket and started putting in ingredients for pasta, along with a carton of milk and cookies. Among other things she put in were skin-friendly soap, no-tears shampoo, bubblegum flavored toothpaste, and a colorful toothbrush for kids. She thought about the Other Baekhyun, and how he must have wanted something. Staring at her home screen, she contemplated whether to ask him or not. Because no doubt, he’d just come up with stupid replies. In the end, she searched for his caller ID, because it was much more annoying if he had actually wanted something and he’d blame Rara for not asking him about it. They’ve already had enough arguments to last a century. 

 

“Hello?” 

“Hey, did you, um, want something?” Rara asked as politely as possible—but it didn’t matter, because he was gonna jab her every chance he got. “I’m about to pay.” 

“Pfft.” The Other Baekhyun snorted. “I don’t need sympathy just because I lost to a lame game of rock-paper-scissors with you.” 

So instead of his usual teasing, my compassion towards him is being mistaken as pity over his defeat? Am I ever gonna get on his good—well, decent, rather—side? If there’s such a thing…?! Unable to foresee his sudden flare, Rara said, “What the hell are you talking about? I was just asking if you wanted me to buy you something at this convenience store or somewhere else! Jeez, it’s not a consolation prize!” She retorted angrily. “It’s called being considerate, .” 

“Okay.” He replied bluntly. “Be the amiable wife that you are and buy me apples.” 

Something about the way he said it struck Rara. She remained silent after his request, or order rather, making the Other Baekhyun chuckle amusedly, and not like he was watching a comedy show, but like he was watching a torture fest. “You really pick ‘em up fast.” He sniggered. “See you later, babe.” And then the other line went silent. 

 

Rara went to the fruits section and took a plastic container housing six red apples. She had realized something. It was apparent that physically, the Other Baekhyun was Baekhyun apart from the hair and eye color. If she were to look on the outside, it could be easily said that she knows who she's up against. But just now, even with the so-little information she’s learned about the Other Baekhyun, from the devil himself—that he’s the alter ego, the bad in the good, the polar opposite with only superficial memories—Rara still hasn’t made up her mind or hasn’t figured out what or who’s she’s dealing with. The only thing she could do was let his words remain as allegations because she didn’t know whether he told her the whole truth, or if he was plain lying. 

 

“Rara? Hey, Rara!”

Rara turned around to see who was calling her, and to her surprise, it was Shinae. Unable to contain her excitement, she almost leaped towards Rara’s direction.

Shinae must’ve just gotten inside since there was still snow on her clothes. Rara instinctively gently swatted the flakes off her hair and shoulders. She also touched Shinae’s necklace to melt off the ice that enveloped her necklace. “Just got here, huh? Cute necklace.” Rara asked with a smile.

“Yes, I just got it yesterday and by the way, I’m with—”

“Shinae, there you are, I’ve been—Rara!” Rara was stunned, yet again, upon seeing her older brother. “Fancy seeing you here.” 

“I could say the same to you.” Rara raised an eyebrow, flashing Chanyeol a half-smile. “Both of you.” 

“Yeah, actually, I found Shinae standing in the cold, waiting for a cab to the research institute.” He said.

“I was on my way to Ye Olde. Hyerin told me that the books I ordered last week arrived in the morning, and I planned to go there in the afternoon, during my break time, but the blizzard got to me.” Shinae explained. “Would have loved to have zoomed through the city with our superhuman speed but the snow’s gotten ankle deep and with the mortals dragging their feet, they would’ve noticed if I sped all the way back to the research institute.” She added. “But thank God for your brother, who happened to pass by and offered me a ride.” Shinae said gratefully.

“And we stopped by here because I’m having a movie marathon with the twins and I’m gonna buy a whole bunch of snacks.” Chanyeol said. “Don’t worry, no alcohol or unhealthy food.” 

Rara snickered at Chanyeol’s remark. “Okay, or your head’s on the chopping board.” 

“So, what about you?” Shinae asked. “Wait, you’re alone? You’re not with Baekhyun?” 

“It’s just me.” Rara said in a monotone. It occurred to her that Shinae hadn’t seen Baekhyun and that she didn’t know the truth, because she lied to her weeks ago. It was a fine, fine thing that the universe had allowed her to win that flimsy game of rock-paper-scissors against the Other Baekhyun. If he had been the one that bumped into Shinae and Chanyeol, who knows what could happen. “Actually, we got stuck in the house.”

“Oh yeah, you said you guys were gonna be there, checking on the construction.” Shinae recalled the update Rara had talked about in their group chat. “He’s home alo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter