Chapter 22

What if Love
Please log in to read the full chapter

Yerim stares blankly at Nayeon who is sitting at the edge of her hospital bed. “I’m sorry… what?” she wasn’t able to comprehend what Nayeon said, because everything stopped at ‘I’m leaving’

 

Tears welling up at the corner of Nayeon’s eyes as she reaches and hold Yerim’s hand that’s lying idly on her lap. “My parents decide that it’s too risky for me to still stay here after what happened. They’re sending me to Japan for the mean time”

 

“You’re leaving…” it was a statement more than a question, Yerim is still processing everything which she knows will take some time because her head –and her heart –is currently hurting.

 

Nayeon nods. “I need to keep my distance from you” she lifts her hand to caress Yerim’s cheek. “You got hurt because of me. I can’t live with that”

 

Numb. that’s what Yerim is feeling right now. Is the girl she risked her life to save, really leaving her?

 

“Please understand that I’m only doing this for you, Yerim-ah”

 

Yerim nods and it surprised Naeyeon. was she expecting Yerim to put up a fight like the way she did when Nayeon told her that she can’t keep relying on Yerim? Nayeon doesn’t know what to feel, should she feel relieved or disappointed?

 

“I need to rest now”

 

Nayeon nods. She watched as Yerim lay back on the hospital bed. Even with bandages and gauze on her head and cheeks, Yerim is still beautiful. Nayeon didn’t know when it started –maybe somewhere between bulldozing Yerim head on and Yerim holding her close that night after the panic attack ­–but she knows she had fallen in love with this angel.

 

Yerim might be little devil to some but for Nayeon she’s an angel from above given to her to protect her.

 

Nayeon continues to stare, etching Yerim’s features to her brain so that she will never forget this angel who risked her life just to save her. Her savior, her love, her Yerim.

 

When Nayeon walked out of Yerim’s hospital room that day, she never walked back in. even the day when Yerim was discharged, Nayeon or even her shadow never showed up. Yerim was aware of the questioning look Seungwan and Seulgi were giving her but she made no effort on satiating their questions.

 

 

 

“So, she left?” Seulgi carefully ask.

 

Yerim nodded her head.

 

Mat sprawled on the grass as they sit facing the Han River. Joohyun and Sooyoung left a couple of minutes ago to buy some snacks and to leave the three some alone time. Yerim invited them to have a picnic, she finally decided to tell her unnies what happened with Nayeon and why was she not there when she was discharged. She figured she needed to tell them, not to satiate their curiosity but to probably ease herself of this heavy feeling –and to stop them from worrying about her.

 

“I don’t get why she had to leave” Seungwan spoke. “Isn’t he in prison already?”

 

“The minimum sentence is five years, less if he shows good conduct” [a/n: I don’t know if this is true. I’m just making this up] Yerim sighs. “I don’t know what to do. I miss her everyday, but I can’t bring myself to reach out to her”

 

Seulgi opens , ready to say something but Seungwan beats her to it.

 

“Maybe it’s because you shouldn’t reach out to her”

 

Yerim stares blankly ahead, thinking about what her Seungwan-unnie said while Seulgi stares at Seungwan with her brows furrowed.

 

Seulgi shakes her head. She clearly disagrees with Seungwan. “Shouldn’t they at least talk it out? See and try to make this work?”

 

Seungwan chuckles bitterly, ugly emotions creeping its way up to the surface. Yes, she had moved on and yes, she’s perfectly happy with Sooyoung but then again, she can never shake off the impact it left on her. “Trust me, Yerim-ah. You don’t want to be constantly waiting for someone only to get your heart torn to pieces when they decided to stop talking to you”

 

Seulgi bit her lower lip. She perfectly understands where the bitterness is coming from, she was there. She saw Seungwan broken to pieces, she saw the light draining out from their bundle of sunshine. Day by day Seungwan’s light dulls and it hurts seeing her best friend like that.

 

But Seulgi knows they can’t live in constant fear, and she doesn’t want Yerim beating herself up with all the what ifs. Seulgi knows she shouldn’t judge a book by its cover but Nayeon is a good girl, she’s sure of it. For crying out loud, the girl decided to move away and keep her distance just so Yerim wouldn’t have to risk her life again, she’s willing to hurt herself –and sadly, also Yerim –just to keep their maknae safe.

 

“Not everyone is like her, Seungwan”

 

“But everyone gets bored” Seungwan grits her teeth. “What if Nayeon realizes that the distance is no longer worth it? Then what? What will happen to Yerim?”

 

Seulgi fell silent.

 

Yerim is still in dazed while Seungwan and Seulig were eyeing each other, no one dares to back down. It was Seulgi who softens first, she doesn’t want to have an arguement with her best friend because she knows Seungwan is only looking out for their youngest, same as her.

 

“I just…” Seungwan sighs. “I don’t want Yerim to feel the things I felt. I don’t want her to go through hell and constantly be on the edge of waiting in vain”

 

“And I don’t want Yerim to forever think about the what ifs” Seulgi sighs.

 

Yerim shakes her head. She never liked it when her unnies fight –friendly or serious –and it hurts more knowing that she’s the reason for this argument.

 

“But that’s not both of your choice to make” Seulgi and Seungwan looks at Joohyun who is giving them a stern look.

 

“You both are her unnies” Sooyoung shakes her head, disappointingly. “Both of you can suggest but should not insist. Whether Yerim will contact Nayeon or not is up to her. The best we can do is be there for her and support her decision”

 

Seulgi and Seungwan looks away, ashamed.

 

“I get that you both are worried for her” Joohyun looks at Yerim who is in deep thought. “But when it comes to the matter of the heart. You can’t decide for Yerim, she needs to decide for herself”

 

Yerim look at Joohyun, almost pleading. “What do I do then, Joohyun-unnie?”

 

Joohyun smiles affectionately while petting Yerim’s head. “Y

Please log in to read the full chapter