Chapter 7

What if Love
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

Seungwan felt a hand cupping her cheeks, Sooyoung’s beautiful face greeted her as soon as she looks up.

 

“Wannie”

 

Seungwan hates the power Sooyoung and that nickname holds on her.

 

One word.

 

All it took was one word for the raging thoughts and endless questions to vanish into thin air, that soft hands cupping her cheeks are also a big help.

 

“I know you have so many questions and believe me I want to answer all of them…” the sincerity in Sooyoung’s voice is too hard to ignore. Seungwan is getting weak in the knees because of those stares but she needs to keep herself upright. “But I’m not ready yet. Are you willing to wait for me?”

 

Is she willing to wait?

 

 

 

A phone is blaring at the nightstand, but the owner made no efforts in turning the alarm off.

 

Seungwan had been awake hours before her set alarm. No dream to keep her awake because this time it's real. That was what happened the night before. She drapes her arm over her forehead and stares blankly at the white ceiling, without answers how will she be able to forget all those questions?

 

Her phone blared again but this time it's not her alarm but a phone call.

 

“Hello?”

 

“I was trying to call you last night. Are you okay?”

 

Seungwan sighs, she knew it was unlikely of her to leave Seulgi’s messages unanswered because she always makes sure to get back to her best friend before the day ends. Sooyoung took up too much of her thoughts that it exhausted her, causing her to fall asleep leaving her phone unchecked and her messages unread.

 

“I’m fine” Seungwan sat up, her back leaning against the headboard.

 

“You don’t sound fine, though” Seulgi’s worried voice echoed in her ear.

 

Seungwan sighs again, she hates it when Seulgi is too keen at noticing the subtle changes in her, be it her actions or her voice. But then again, they’ve been best friends since they were in diapers. They know each other like the back of their hands. They’re like an open book to each other.

 

But Seungwan isn't sure if she should throw her concern at Seulgi so early in the morning. So, she stayed silent for a moment, contemplating.

 

“Do you want me to tell Tae-unnie you won’t be going to practice today?”

 

Seulgi’s question snapped Seungwan out from her trance.

 

That's right, it's a Saturday. They’re supposed to come to school for their practice but after last night –her mind still flooded with unanswered questions –she doesn't know if she can act around Sooyoung or be anywhere near the girl. But she’s Romeo, she needs to be there.

 

“No” Seungwan answers. Her tone is uncertain. “We have less than a week before the actual play. We can’t slack off now”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

No. She's not sure, but she’s one of the lead roles. She needs to be mature and put her feelings aside, for the play.

 

“I am. I’ll see you later Seul”

 

They said their goodbyes, and promising to meet up at school, before ending the call.

 

Seungwan’s hand tangled with her messy locks. They left everything in a messy state last night, well, Sooyoung left her in a messy state last night and now they have to face each other in a few hours. How will Seungwan handle it? and can she handle it?

 

 

 

♦♦♦

 

 

 

Seungwan is in deep thought the whole trip to school. She keeps thinking what her actions or her words would be as soon as she sees Sooyoung, rehearsing her hellos repeatedly like a broken record. She sighs, giving up since none of her tone sounds genuine.

 

“I thought you were getting better, but I guess you’re spiraling?”

 

Seungwan would have smiled or even snicker at Yerim’s lame attempt to be funny but she’s not in the mood. “I woke up on the wrong side of the bed” she kind of felt bad since she didn’t show any emotions to acknowledge the youngest.

 

Yerim settles with silence. She’s not insensitive, she knows when to stop pestering her unnies especially if she can see them going through something. Which made her think… “Unnie did something happen with Sooyoung-unnie?”

 

Seungwan looks at Yerim sadly.

 

That look confirmed it. Like Seulgi, Yerim doesn't pry. She just wraps her arms around Seungwan’s shoulders, wiping her hands comfortingly against the older’s shoulder as they walk towards their school.

 

“Seungwan!”

 

Seungwan smiles, trying her best to look like she doesn't have something in her mind. She bows to Taeyeon who called her then to Tiffany. “Something wrong, ssaem?” she noticed the frown on Tiffany’s beautiful face as soon as she arrived.

 

“Sooyoung and Joohyun wouldn't be able to attend practice today”

 

Well that’s a frowning matter, but Seungwan can’t hide the fact that that made her breathe easily. She must deal with her emotions –and probably her questions –first before she faces Sooyoung.

 

The practice went on but Seungwan was uncharacteristically off. She keeps messing up, she doesn't stutter but she keeps forgetting her lines and she keeps spacing out.

 

Tiffany had to call her out constantly but since she’s an understanding teacher, she never lashed out on Seungwan. She just resorted to ending the practice early and letting them take the rest of the day off to recharge.

 

“Ssaem”

 

Tiffany hums in response, too occupied in fixing her things.

 

“I’m sorry”

 

T

Please log in to read the full chapter