The Countdown

Ever Dream (It's Back... Again... For good)

Phew,” Him Chan covered his nose. “You smell like hell.”

Geez thanks,” Dae Hyun huffed as he headed to the room for clothes. Him Chan pulled out his clothes from his pile, tossing them on the chair closest to him where the silver haired boy would see them. He smirked when he walked back into the room. Noticing his clothes he looked to the black haired man who was sitting with a smug look.

Why do you have my clothes?” he asked. Looking at the area around the elder he cocked his head to the side. “Why do you have everyone’s clothes?”

We’re mending them,” he answered holding up a pair of Jong Up's pants with a patch partially in place.

Who exactly is ‘we’?” Dae Hyun asked.

Oh, Young Jae went to make us a snack,” Him Chan answered. “I think he’s taking some up to the maknaes right now.”

What are they doing?”

I gave them the remainder of whatever worksheets I had left for them,” he said as he continued patching up the pants. “Now please take a shower and put your clothes in the laundry room, you’re making me nauseous. If Young Jae comes down I’m sure he’ll be the one to actually puke.”

And I thought you were the sensitive one,” he mumbled heading to the bathroom. Him Chan glared daggers in to his back before finishing up the patch.

Ugh, you smell worse,” Him Chan grumbled out in disgust when his mate wrapped his arms around him.

Oh, sorry I forgot,” Yong Guk pulled back laughing. “I might have to wait for Dae Hyun though.”

There is a shower in our room,” Him Chan reminded him, “but be careful with Young Jae, he’s a little more sensitive than I am with smells.”

Really?” Yong Guk asked in surprise.

It just might be because he’s pregnant,” he said getting some clothes for his mate. “Oh and when you’re done Young Jae and I have a theory we’d like to share with you guys.”

Oh, and what’s that about?”

You’ll find out soon enough, but for now please shower,” Him Chan begged. The elder laughed ruffling his mate’s short black-hair before heading up the stairs.

 

Better?” Dae Hyun asked entering the kitchen after depositing his dirty clothes in the clothe hamper.

Jun Hong took a quick sniff, “did you use shaving cream?”

Dae Hyun, you do not need to shave,” Him Chan laughed.

I grabbed the wrong bottle okay,” he defended.

Sure you did,” Him Chan smirked. Jun Hong pouted, “did you already find someone of interest out here?”

No,” Dae Hyun almost screamed.

Dae Hyun, are you not even going to consider me?” Jun Hong decided to tease his silver haired hyung. Him Chan fell into a fit of laughter.

Dae Hyun scoffed, “Why would I even do that?”

Jun Hong gave an exaggerated gasp, “you don’t love me? After all I’ve done for you?”

You didn’t do crap for me!”

Oh, Dae Hyunie hyung, you break my heart. All the sharp pieces are going to make me bleed to death.”

Oh please don’t, you’ll be doing me a favor.”

AH! Him Chan do you hear him?!” the pink haired maknae pointed to the offending boy. “He’s being far too cruel and heartless.”

I do,” Him Chan smirked, “an evil person indeed. What are we going to do with you Jung Dae Hyun?”

Aish, you’re just as bad as he is,” Dae Hyun growled.

What’s going on in here?” Yong Guk asked laughing with Young Jae trailing behind him; the two had heard the conversation clearly.

Hyung,” the pink haired maknae pretended to cry, “Dae Hyun doesn’t love me!”

Yong Guk burst into laughter and Young Jae covered his smile with a hand.

The blonde asked, “Where is Jong Up?”

He and Seo Gu are looking for a map,” Him Chan answered.

Yong Guk calmed down, “what does he need a map for?”

To help us check our theory,” Young Jae chimed taking a seat next Jun Hong.

What theory?” Dae Hyun asked. Him Chan, Young Jae, and Jun Hong just smiled. The silver haired boy looked to the purple haired man whom just shrugged.

I guess we are just going to have to wait to hear what you all have come up with?” Yong Guk asked with a half-smile.

The three nodded. Him Chan pointed to the blonde, “actually Young Jae was the one who pointed out a few things to me so we wanted to check out exactly how everything is going to work out.”

Pointed what out?” Dae Hyun folded his arms, his head falling slightly to a side. “And how is what going to go?”

We’ll explain when Seo Gu and Jong Up find a map.” Him Chan assured.

Shouldn’t we wait for Jee Hye?” Young Jae asked.

The black haired male sighed, “we probably should, since she would be affected by this too. Oh well it looks like you two may have to wait a bit longer.”

Aish,” Dae Hyun sighed heading to the living room.

Yong Guk shrugged, “she should be home soon.”

 

Alright, I understand what your trying to do but how are you going to be exactly sure about how long it’s going to take them to find us?” Dae Hyun asked.

That’s why we’re only assuming everything for now,” Him Chan tried to explain. “The first place they would check is home, right?”

Everyone nodded. Him Chan continued, “Well we would be limited on transportation since we don’t have our passports or anything else to be identify ourselves by. A train would probably be our best bet, but they only run through major cities. The closet one would be over two weeks and a half away, by foot. Anybody lost yet?”

So we’d have to travel to a major city to take a train to get close to home?” Dae Hyun asked. Yong Guk nodded with his mate, “And since we would avoid being seen by anyone we would just have followed the line of residential area because that would be where we have most cover.”

Yong Guk traced out a path, “Right here is where the forest line would be the thickest. Residential areas tend to like having the sun blocked during the evening.”

It would be safer to get off at the next major city and walk to the next one,” Young Jae spoke softly.

Why?” Jun Hong asked.

Yong Guk answered, “because we would bypass each other. Meaning even if they caught up with us, they would most likely take the train straight to the major city closet to our hometown. We wouldn’t even have made it, so they would have to figure out if we took another route or if we were really planning to go to our parents.”

When figuring that out they would leave a team behind,” Young Jae spoke up again. “So if we did take another route they would be ready while another team searched for the next possibility.”

Seo Gu sighed, “how long would it take to get to your parents’ home?”

I think it took us over two weeks,” Him Chan thought, “but that was because we took our time getting to the Facility.”

It would probably take about three days if you take a train with minimal stops,” Yong Guk estimated.

So how long would that be all together?” Jun Hong asked.

Well since the company has reliable transportation, it’d only take them half a day to a full day to get to the train…” Him Chan began thinking. “It’d only take them about four days to get close, but it takes a full day to get around the mountains to get to our hometown.”

Don’t forget to estimate their search around the surrounding area,” Jee Hye reminded.

Maybe a week to get there and two days before they figure out that we had a different plan,” Yong Guk sighed. “They probably would have a map locating all the small towns by now.”

So they could already be very close?” Jong Up asked slightly worried.

Young Jae shook his head, “They have procedures to go through before they can begin to form a search party.”

Getting all the paper work together takes almost three day sometimes a full week. And that takes two weeks just for the board to get to it and another week to hear anything from them.” Him Chan chewed the inside of his right cheek, “If they get it considered very urgent then it could take the board less time to get to it and they might answer a lot sooner.”

This is getting very confusing,” Jong Up admitted.

Try going through the entire process.” Him Chan glared at the table, “doing all that paper work and waiting makes it feel three times as long.”

So then let’s assume,” Jun Hong listed everything, “they took they took a three days to get the paperwork together, a week to get it to the board, and four days to hear back…. How long does it take to get a search party together?”

Yong Guk laughed, “They have several teams on hand, so just figure it takes them two days to prepare and inform them.”

Jun Hong nodded continuing, “okay so two days for the team, a week to get there, two days to think of a new strategy… there’s something I’m forgetting.”

How long would it take for them to figure out to come in this direction?” Dae Hyun asked.

It might take them a week to stumble onto a village,” Seo Gu offered.

But if they followed our trail though the forest it would take them three days,” Yong Guk sighed. “If they find out we took a different path, then they’ll go off what they find at the perimeter.”

Young Jae’s shirt,” Him Chan sighed. “But since we cut through several towns we might confuse them a bit.”

That would only buy us a day or two,” Dae Hyun scratched his neck. “It’d probably take them a month to get through the forest since they are going to have to search for any signs of our trail. Yong Guk made sure to travel where we would make any noticeable prints. We were careful not to run through any bushes or trees. Well except Young Jae, because of nausea but he ran off the trail so they could be thrown off by that.”

I’m lost,” Jun Hong admitted. “How long would that take altogether?”

Just say maybe twenty-five days,” Yong Guk told him.

But he said a month,” Jong Up interjected.

Young Jae sighed, “We stay in some place for longer than just the night; he didn’t take that into account.”

And they would be working fast on the trail,” Yong Guk sighed, “they’ll probably use dogs to pick up our scents.”

Jun Hong continued to calculate everything, “so it that would only be close to… two months!”

Wouldn’t that mean they are already very close?” Young Jae asked in a shaky voice.

Seo Gu asked, “What would they need in order to get permission to search?”

They would need the maknaes’ parents’ approval and Young Jae’s father would give them the approval right away.” Him Chan thought for a moment.

I don’t think my parents would approve so easily,” Jun Hong thought. “They think I’m old enough to decide what is best for myself.”

Same here,” Jong Up nodded.

Yes, but your parents would begin to worry about you after a while,” Jee Hye added.

She’s right,” Him Chan agreed. “It would probably take a week for your parents to give them the permission they need.”

They would have to call our parents,” Yong Guk said in thought. “It might take a while to get a hold of them because they’re hardly home but they worry easily so maybe two or three days to get them to cave.”

My head is hurting from all this,” Jong Up rested his head on the table.

Don’t try too hard,” Dae Hyun joked.

You said it snows here?” Him Chan asked the older couple.

Yes,” they nodded. Seo Gu thought for a moment, “It will probably snow in three weeks, the latest is next month.”

Which is three weeks away,” Him Chan said softly to himself. “There’s a possibility that they could be here before snow comes.”

We could hide you all,” Jee Hye tried.

They tend to search everything thoroughly,” Him Chan shook his head.

Not if they don’t know the area,” Yong Guk thought. “Most Team Members were born or taken to the Facility at a young age.”

Or a big town,” Dae Hyun thought out loud. “Upper Mid-Class is the lowest rank of cities that people come from.”

And how did Dae Hyun get accepted?” Jun Hong giggled.

He is from the same city as us,” Him Chan smiled. “He weaseled his way there.”

Getting back to point,” Yong Guk laughed. “We can’t have a serious conversation can we?”

No, but I’m glad we don’t,” Him Chan pouted, “this is very depressing and nerve wrecking as is.”

Jun Hong sighed, “so if they do come before winter then what would we do?”

Don’t they have other towns to check before reaching here?” Young Jae asked. “And since Team Members are trained inside the Facility, they wouldn’t have much stamina to travel through some of the places we went through. And since right here the road was very hard they might have taken a different route to avoid going through the rocky area, they’d have to back track.”

Yong Guk nodded seeing the blonde’s point. His eyes scanning the map for the closet town the Team Members would go to. He pointed to a small village tuning to Seo Gu, “Is there an easy road for them to get from there to here?”

Seo Gu took the time to remember everything he could about the road. He sighed tracing a thin line, “There’s a narrow road that cuts through here.”

Actually,” Jee Hye smiled softly, “There was an accident there a day before you returned. I was worried you had taken that road. Some boulders fell free from the mountain side.”

Seo Gu smiled, “So then the only other way would be the road going around the mountain. That takes two days but it gets really slippery, no one travels during winter.”

So it might take them a little longer to find us,” Him Chan tried to figure how long it would take them to reach to Seo Gu’s village.

Even if they do get that far, they’re stuck out there for the winter,” Yong Guk smiled.

How long does snow usually last?” Young Jae, whom was unfamiliar with the different seasons, asked. “Does it last all winter of just part?”

Winter up here lasts for almost three and a half months,” Seo Gu sighed. “But sometimes it can last close to five.”

,” Yong Guk almost growled out. Him Chan immediately understood, “Young Jae’s baby. I would be too heavy to travel comfortable, my baby might need to be taken out at that time.”

Young Jae nodded, “It will be harder to travel with our babies.”

We could hide out in that rocky area,” Jong Up suggested.

Jun Hong sighed, “we had trouble getting tough it ourselves, it’ll be impossible for them. They could slip and the babies could get hurt.”

What about the barn?” Jee Hye asked her mate. Seo Gu shrugged.

Dae Hyun cocked his head to a side, “What about the barn?”

It has a basement but we don’t use it,” Seo Gu answered. The hay covers the doors right now so I don’t even know where it is.”

It’s completely sound proof,” Jee Hye smiled. “My grandmother had it built that way so my father could practice playing his violin without disturbing them. It should have a phone down there.”

It needs to be cleaned out,” Seo Gu reminded her, “it hasn’t been used in years.”

It could work,” Him Chan said softly to his mate.

Yong Guk nodded, “We could work on that during the winter. If Dae Hyun gets the job at the Bakery then we’ll work it and when he gets off he can help.”

Work the Farm by day and the basement by night?” Him Chan asked.

Yong Guk nodded, cutting his mate’s protest, “you and Young Jae are pregnant and I don’t want either of you near there. Maknaes you two are going to focus on your studies and making sure you keep them away from there, got it?”

Got it,” the maknaes smiled.

So does this mean that we have a plan in place?” Young Jae asked.

Everyone talked amongst themselves, seeing if anyone had any objections. Yong Guk smiled, “I guess we do.”