CHAPTER 31

Fireworks

The books have taught me one thing, that the protagonists will always face a slump in their life, there will always be trouble that will make the reader go crazy of what will happen next, but in the end it will always be happy ever after. Not all endings though are happy, some live on but some die, and i'd like to believe that the end of my story will be happy ever after--but seeing him standing before me-- how come MY HAPPY EVER AFTER HURTS SO MUCH ?
-----------
"Seungyeon ah" Krystal's voice was hard, not what i expected from her.

"Hey, I'm at the back of the kitchen, we've delivered the sandwiches already, can you sneak out?" My voice a little happier than usual, I'm happy that i don't need to attend the ball, I'm safe out here.

"Uhh-- ok--- uhhmm just wait ok? " she was stuttering, not like her.

"Are you ok ??" I asked.

"Yes... Just taken aback. I'll be out in a moment. I just have to talk to someone kay?"

"Sure. Im just out here." Then she hung up. Hmmmm, the ball is grander than before, I'm curious why they threw a ball. Its winter already, the outside of the kitchen is a small garden and they also put lights on it which is so beautiful. Ugh, its cold. I sat on the swing and looked at the night sky, there are no stars tonight, somehow made me feel a little bit sad.

"Hey." Mark called me, i stood up and hugged him. "Its cold here, why didn't you stay at the kitchen?" He said. He is a really good person.

"Just, they're busy inside, i don't want to block them in their way." We both sat on the swing. "Wheres Krystal?" I asked looking at him and he froze, is it too cold for him?

"Uhhhm, she just had to go do something, you know her haha." He said but i felt a little nervousness in his laugh, i raised my eyebrow. He looked at me. He smiled so i did too. Minutes later, we saw Krystal and she was looking angry, Mark immediately stood up and seeing Krystal without a jacket Mark took off his coat and put it on Krystal, suddenly a memory popped in my head making my heart feel pain like someone stabbing it again and again.

"You should've got a coat before you went out." Mark said in a scolding tone but very calm and firm voice. Krystal just whispered sorry and immediately hugged me. I was a bit shocked. She must be so cold to hug me so tight.

"Are you too cold haha? I cant breathe with your bear hug." I said as she wasn't letting me go. Then i let her hug me just a few more before she let go. When she did let go, Mark told us that he'll get the coats and we could go to a cafe then he went back inside.

"Aren't you two supposed to stay?" I asked while we were seating on the swing. "By the way you're beautiful." I said and she smiled but i believe that theres something bugging her by the way her smile immediately disappeared.

"Thank you." She said

"Tell me." She looked at me, her eyes big.

"What?" She said.

"Tell me, i know something is bothering you. Tell me." She then looked away. My eyes stayed on her. She sighed.

"Its just that--- i hate the universe right now." She said with a vey irritated voice

"Wae ? What happened ?" I asked then she looked at me, her eyes gives me a hurt look.

"Seungyeonnie, you are a very good person... You should know that."

"Thank you, but why are you talking like that?"

"Seungyeonnie, we've treated each other like sisters and these past few weeks, you've been hurt so much that it also made me hurt to see you so low." She said and my eyes started to form tears. She is so serious that i am starting to get confused to where this is going.

"Why are you making me cry ? Where are you going with this ?" 

"I miss the Yoo Seungyeon, if i could just bring you the life Yoo Seungyeon had i would give anything. I just don't want to see you crumble apart anymore."

"Now im really confused. What are you saying? If i didn't become Gong Seungyeon i wouldn't have found out the real me and i wouldn't have Dad and Jungyeon. And why would i crumble apart? Dad is out next week, you said that, it will be a happy week." She looked down and before i can ask why she was being like that Mark came out, holding two coats, together with Minhyuk. We stood up, Krystal took off Mark's coat and got the coat Mark was giving her, Mark also put on his coat and i smiled at Minhyuk, he bowed to me.

"Lets go?" Mark asked and just as were heading inside, i saw him and i froze. Our eyes lost in each others.

He is not him, my mind kept telling me again and again but my heart was telling different. He was in a suit perfectly made for him, his hair was put up and made, he looks the same but the feeling is different. Without knowing myself, tears ran down my face.

I'm seeing everything in slow motion, Krystal stood in front of me blocking him from me and Mark calming Krystal down, Minhyuk looking back and forth. But his eyes stayed on mine and so did mine. Why? Why is he here ? My mind snapped back to whats happening, i grabbed Krystal's hand and she stopped shouting at him and she looked at me and so did Mark.

"Stop." I said to her without looking away from him.

"Seungyeon ah--" Krystal started but before she can continue i cut her off.

"Leave us. Please." I looked at Krystal as i said please she was hesitating but Mark grabbed her in the shoulders and told her that they should go. Just before they can go, Krystal stopped in front of him and said something.

"If she crumbles more than before, i wont ever forgive you." She said and his eyes looked hurt, my tears has stopped. I felt a sudden feeling of i have to be strong. They left, only me and him.

He took a step closer and my body moved on its own taking a step back. He stopped when i moved back and looked at me in the eyes, questions filled my mind
Why is he here?
Who is the man in front of me?
Why am i feeling scared?
Do i hate him? ---- no, i love him... Even if it hurts this much.

"Seungyeon ah." My knees felt weak, his voice, its like i haven't heard his voice for years. Tears ran down again on my face. Before he can walk closer to me, someone came out.

"Mr. Lee, Your father, President nim is looking for you." My head pumped, my heart beat faster and my eyes grew big.

"I'll be there later. Give me a few minutes." He said coldly to the assistant and i looked at him as the assistant bowed and took off. He looked at me with hurt eyes, he walked closer to me and stopped in front of me with just a step apart. I could smell his vanilla scent, how i miss his presence that no matter how hurt i am, i felt a little bit of happiness as i can feel him in front of him. There is this tension that i cant describe between us, tension that makes me want to touch him, to hug him, to kiss him, to feel him. I close my eyes, fighting the urge, it wouldn't help us both. But he just made it harder when he touched me as he wiped my tears and my body just reacted to him, leaning towards his touch and i squeezed my eyes shut as he brought me to his chest and hugged me. The moment his arms was around me, every reason i had disappeared and i just wrapped my arms around him. Took in his scent, felt his warm body on me, felt him.

"Im sorry." He said. "I am so sorry." He kept on saying and hearing him say it just makes me cry so much harder.

He is the son of Mr. Lee, son of the man who made our family like this, son of the man who made me drop down to my lowest, son of the villain in my story. I should hate him, i have every right to hate him....

But why can't i ???

Its because i love him...

I broke off the hug, he wasn't letting go but i said please and he froze. I took a two steps back. Took a deep breathe.

"Oppa---" i dont think i can do this, but i have to. To save myself. "Oppa--- how ? How can you --- la-- lie to me ?" I said looking at the ground.

"Im sorry Seungyeon, i didnt mean to lie to you. Everything was just --- i had a reason." He said with a trembling voice.

"But--- but you did lie..."

"I know-- i know and i am so sorry Seungyeon ah." He said and closed the space i made, he touched my arms and i cringed as if his touch hurted, he let go immediately.

"Tell me-- i have to know. The reason." I said while my eyes are closed, i dont think i can look at his eyes at this situation.

"I -- my father... He hasn't looked on me and called me son for 26 years Seungyeon ah-- until a few days ago... Im just a son from a mistress Seungyeon ah, he hasn't looked on me for 26 years, i wanted him to look on me as his son that I'm willing to do anything..." He said with a hurt voice.

"Willing to do anything--- even if it means to lie to me, to hurt me, to break my heart. You wanted him to look on you so bad that you were willing to give up your heart?" I looked up to him and he closed his eyes.

"I am so sorry." He said.

"Are you happy?" He opened his eyes and looked at me. "Are you happy he looks on you now? That he treats you as his son now?" I asked and he didn't say anything and i took that as a yes. I nodded. "I guess you are happy, well thats good." I said.

"Seungyeon ah--" he said and i looked at him.

"Oppa-- i love you so much you know that." He tried to speak but before he can i continued. "Im happy for you, you got what you want, and if what it took to get your happiness was this mess then its fine."

"Seungyeon-- what ?" He said an i looked at him.

"This mess is just a mess, its gonna be cleaned someday, right now its just scattered, but it will be fine someday and you are happy. So everything will be fine."

"Where are you going with this?" He said

"But--- but the people around us have been hurt and -- and me too." I closed my eyes fighting my tears "i have to -- i have to save myself." 

To take him? Or to run??? There are people who need me, Jungyeon, Dad, Omma and Appa. He hugged me again and i took the moment with everything i can.

"Please let me run this time --- let me be the one to say sorry for not being able to keep my promise."

"No--- please no." He pleaded.

"I have to... I have to oppa, for everyone, for your happiness."

"No-- im sorry... please, maybe we can work something out."

"Let me go."

"No" he said and hugged me tighter. I took a breathe, and broke the hug. As i looked at him, he looked hurt.

"I love you--- but i have to break my promise. Im letting you go. You hear that ? Im letting you go, so dont think of me anymore, just focus on your family? Okay? Your happiness."

"But you are my happiness." He said and i smiled.

"Then try to be happy without me, you're happy with your father right ? Then be happy."

"What about yours ? Your happiness Seungyeon ah" i looked at him and his eyes were on me.

"I'll have to look at my happiness from far away." I tried to smile but i failed. He held my arms and looked down and closed his eyes.

"I love you." I said and kissed his forehead. Then took off his hands from me and walked away.

Crying, i questioned myself.
Is this it?

--------------------------------
I know you want them to be together already, but as Jonghyun said, trials make love grow... I'll have to write chapters with 'timely rainfall' if you get what i mean :)