CHAPTER 2

Fireworks

Days passed by and everyday is just as normal as it is. Krystal however started complaining that his father also joined in looking for the lost daughter of Brown Companies, because theyre conpany's major stockholder is Mr. Gong so they have to help, annoying Krystal cause his fathers mouth is all about 'finding her'. School is fine, i love how im doing, were doing our thesis on Romeo and Juliet's tragedy. Im not really into their lovestory but more on how they fought for it, isnt that the main reason why everyone loved them ? Besides of Romeo being dreamy and all?
When i got home, appa told me that omma went somewhere and tomorrow is a weekend so we'll go out and bond together. So i asked if there was a special occassion, appa said that we need to just cherish the moments together, he said it jokingly but jokes are half meant right? Again appa is acting weird.
"Am i dying without me knowing ?" I joked appa but appa's eyes grew big 
"Thats not a good joke seungyeon ah" his tone is serious and clipped.
"Sorry" i looked down.
"Are you hungry? Omma and i prepared barley dried fish, youre favorite"
"Waaaaaah really ?!?!? " my smile went back again "i guess im really dying then huh"
"Cut that out." Appa said but not as serious as before, i smiled.
Appa and i ate already, he said omma might come home late so we just ate.
Omma came home late just as i was preparing to go to bed.
"Omma did you eat already?" I asked after brushing my teeth
"Oh? Yes seungyeonnie" she said as she went for a glass of water
"Where did you go?"
"Just at a friends" her answer felt like a dead end.
"Oh? Well, in going to sleep. Goodnight omma." I kissed her forehead and she hugged me tight.
I woke up because i can hear appa and ommas voices through my room. When i went out they were shocked to see me. Appa was fixing out packed lunch and omma was washing apples. They told me to sleep more but i told them i'll help so we can go out early, we finished everything around 8 am and headed out. Appa drove us to the park and we brought Nana and Pposong, we let them loose, we ate appa's food and took a lot of pictures, we also fished at the lake in the park. Appa caught a fish, but as he was about to put it in the box, it got loose and wiggled on the ground. Omma was shouting at appa to catch the fish, nana and pposong was barking at it and i was just laughing the whole time. Everything was just so fun. Just before the sunset we headed to the amusement park, we left nana and pposong in a daycare before heading to the amusement park. I pleaded omma and appa to ride the rollercoaster, omma was gripping appas arms hard and appa was ommas hand with his thumb and my heart was just melting, they are a match made in heaven-- no matter how they fight they still stick together. Before ending the day, we rode the ferries wheel, somewhere i felt scared but then when we reached the top i saw the city lights and i was awed, the starry sky seems like reflecting the city lights, so beautiful. Then i noticed appa and omma looking at me. I looked at them.
"Is there something on my face ?" I asked
"No.. Haha, just you are so beautiful our daughter." Appa said then looked at omma. From my seat and the lights shining on us i can see ommas eyes glinting as if there were tears.
"Omma? Are you crying?" I asked worried.
"Huh? Oh hahaha yes, its just that im happy seungyeon ah"
"Eeeeeey, why are you crying?" I held ommas hand and it. I looked at appa and he too was on the verge of crying. Seeing them made me break into tears then all three of us was crying in the ferris wheel. Before we can reach the end of the ride i dried my tears and held myself together.
"What is going on? There must be something. Omma. Appa. Tell me" i asked bravely, curious why they are acting like this. Omma looked at appa and appa just kept on looking at his hands.
"Appa, im 23 years old. I can handle it." Very worried and my imagination makes me think that one of them is dying and the thought makes me cringe.
"Seungyeon ah, you know we love you right ?"
"Yes." My hands are trembling and im fighting my tears.
"Well... When i was still working at a restaurant in suwon, your mother was having trouble in conceiving a child." I can hear ommas sobs "she wasnt able to bear any child"
Appa looked at me, searching for a reaction. I cant give any due to everything blurring out.
"When one day, your omma met a lady outside the restaurant im working for. The lady was carrying a baby with a silver butterfly necklace around its neck." My eyes shoot up to appa an i touched the necklace around my neck. Appas voice was shaking.
"The lady was very sick and tired as if hiding from someone, she asked omma to keep the baby, to raise it well and with love, to name it Seungyeon."
I cant fight the tears anymore, it just ran on my face, everything starting to blur. Still looking at appa, my mind went chaos. My life. My family. Myself. I am not their child, then whose ? My surname is not Yoo, then what ? Then who am i ? Appa was still waiting for me to say something
"Seungyeon ah, please say something"
In this ferris wheel, in this night. Who wouldve thought things would go this way?
"Seungyeon ah" my eyes looked at appas and his expression is heart wrenching. NO this is not their fault, they shouldnt feel guilty. I gathered myself, wiped my tears.
"Please dont look like that appa, i cant take it." Appa looked shocked and ommas sobs stopped. I held both of their hands.
"Please dont feel guilty. Youve raised me well. You loved me and gave me more than i can ask for." Fighting my tears again
"Seungyeon ah..." This time appa broke into tears. I held both of his hands while omma was his back
"Appa, even if im not your own, i am still your daughter. I will always be." Appa looked at me and i manage a smile.
"My beautiful daughter" he managed a smile. Omma somehow smiled too and our ride reached its end. We got out and when we did we hugged for a long time. Even if i am not their daughter, i am so lucky to have been in the care of this two wonderful people. Appa kissed my forehead while omma is inseperable from me. We decided to sit on the bench and wait for the fireworks display and talk.
"Appa" the atmosphere is lighter and we can talk casually
"Yes seungyeon ah" appa looking sincere
"The lady, my mother. Did you know her name?" Appa looked at omma
"Yes"
"Whats her name ? Is she still alive" im curious
"Unfortunately she died moments after omma found her. We buried her and had ceremony for her." I was half expecting for that answer but somewhere in my heart i hoped she was alive, so i can meet her.
Appa was looking at me and i assured him with a smile
"Then can we visit her tomb ?" I asked and appa smiled
"We do, every year." Whaaat?
"Huh?" I was recalling the tombs we visit every year. Grandma, grandpa, aunt minyoung, uncle jaerim
"Aunt minyoung. We visit her every year. Shes your mom"
----blank---- my head is blank.....
"Oh" aunt minyoung, i thought she was a sister of omma, yet she was my mom.
"Are you ok seungyeon ah ?" Omma asked and i looked at her, she looked very worried and i dont want them to worry, theyve been through a lot.
"Oh yes, just-- just a little shaken" the night is cold and everything is somehow starting to connect in my head, slowly sinking in but not yet fully. In the speakers of the amusement park, an announcement came that in 10 minutes the fireworks will start.
"Appa, how about my father ? Do tou know him?" Appas expression changed
"Yes" appas expression hardened and he became serious
"Well? Is he still alive?"
"Yes" appa being mono syllabic is scary. As if he doesnt want to talk about it but he has no choice
"Whats his name ?" Appa looked at me straight in the eye
"Gong Haneul" ---silence----
Gong ha-neul it echoed in my head. Why does that sound familiar??? Gong haneul, kept on replay in my head.... Then my mind took me back to the memory at the convenience store.
(Mr. Gong haneul, president of Brown Companies announces the search for his lost daughter) mg eyes grew big at the sudden thought, my heart beating fast. Brown Companies. Gong family. Lost daughter. Me. 
Everything is scrambling in my mind! NO WAY! The girl whose life will be under the spotlight-- that will be me! My tears are dry, my eyes grew big and looking at appa he is serious. I stood up. They stood up too, ommas face was worried. I cant think straight. I massaged my temples and closed my eyes.
*bang bang bang* loud booming sounds, i turned around and saw the fireworks.. The sky full of stars accompanied by the colorful lights of fireworks, how wonderful the scene is yet my mind is a mess.
"Excuse me" i heard someone say but i didnt turn around, i was emptying my mind through the fireworks.
"Seungyeon ah. " i heard appas voice and i turned around, just as i did a pair of brown eyes locked with mine and everything went slow motion. The wind was blowing, the leaves on the tree dancing so slowly, the lights of the fireworks reflecting on the guy whose eyes are brown and stares at mine making me forget every thought i just had.
"Seungyeon ah" i heard appas voice and i broke the stare, looking at appa he looked curious.
"Yes appa"
"He is Mr. Lee Jonghyun, head of security of Mr. Gong" appa gestured at the guy, thats when i got a full view on him. He was wearing a suit, which fit him perfectly and he had an earpiece.
"Nice to meet you Seungyeon ssi, im Lee Jonghyun" he held out his hand and it took me 5 seconds to reach for it and shake it. When our skin touched i felt electricuted. When did i felt that again? I automatically backed up and both of us looked surprised.
The fireworks was still going on, Lee Jonghyun ssi is staring at me, why does his stare feel familiar? And why is my heart beating fast ?