BTS: The Story of Hongki

Glad I Met You :)

 

(Author's POV)

 

It was a tough life for Hongki when he was younger. Now that he thought of it, it wasn't just tough, it was more of a nightmare for him, he hated that life. After meeting his own sister at the airport earlier... he recalled everything of the past, fist clenched tightly, tears were streaming down his eyes. He hated that life, the life Ae Hongki lived.

 

Ae Hongki. The day he came down to this earth, was the happiest day of Mrs Ae. Her first baby, a son with such pretty looks. 

 

"Uwaaaaaa~" The baby cried.

 

Mrs Ae looked at the baby with a smile on a face, so wide it was as if all her sorrows were taken away. 

 

"Ae... Hongki." She whispered.

 

Her husband nodded, and smiled as well, showing that he agreed that his wife had chosen an excellent name for their first son.

 

But that day- for the baby Hongki who didn't know anything yet- marked the day where everything went wrong for the Ae family. It wasn't that he brought bad luck, in fact, he brought much happiness to the family, it was because... he arrived this world at the wrong time.

 

 

Hongki was 3. He was excellent at singing, and often sang for his parents, bringing them much delight. But at that time, his uncle was also facing some financial problems, and had to borrow money from his father. But that was according to his uncle at least... they later found out he used it for gambling instead. Although he was only three, he was an intelligent boy, and obeyed his parents as well.

 

He grew older, and learnt things really quickly, so he was sent to a nursery at the age of five. He made a few close friends, and was a very happy boy. He's always paying attention in class, and the teachers favour him. Whenever something was wrong, he will tell it all to his mother, because his father was always out working.

 

But when he turned 7, a new family member was about to enter the family. His mother was pregnant, and had to take a lot rest. But what they all never knew, was that Mrs Ae had fibriod tumor. It was when she went for pregnancy checkups, only then they found out... that something was wrong. One life had to be sacrificed, for the other to live.

 

One day, Hongki's parents were discussing about this, and little 7 year old Hongki overheard their conversation.

 

"So, would you go for surgery?" Mr Ae asked.

 

He was concerned, but he also respected his wife's decision.

 

"But that would mean Eunhee being sacrificed." She replied, looking down at her quite bloated stomach.

 

"Eunhee? You gave.. her.. a name?" 

 

Mrs Ae nodded and smiled.

 

"So that means you're not going to do surgery?" He asked again, a little worried.

 

"If they can manage to save both of us, I will, but if it results in one of us having to be sacrificed, I would let Eunhee live. You will take care of both of them, will you?"

 

"Of course." Mr Ae bit his lip.  "I hope you're doing the right thing, dear."

 

She looked up. 

 

"Thank you for always respecting my decisions, yeobo. I really appreciate it. But I really think Eunhee will be as amazing and intelligent as her brother, Hongki. Talented even. I see her having a bright future."

 

"But yeobo... what about Hongki? You have to think about his feelings too."

 

"I'm sure he'll understand my decision. He's a good boy."

 

Halfway throught the converstation... Hongki had ran back to his room to cry. Did his mother just say she'll let that 'thing' in her tummy survive instead of herself? He didn't understand at all. Why was omma willing to sacrifice her own life for some 'thing' who she hasn't even seen? And to think that was his sister..

 

If she didn't exist.. omma would have gone for surgery with a peaceful heart and come back fully recovered. But now, because of this.. Eunhee.. omma was going to leave me. He thought.

 

....

 

Hongki has turned 12. His sister, Eunhee is five, and just like Hongki, she is cute, intelligent, talented. Despite having some similarities, Hongki disliked her. Since her birth, and also omma's death, Hongki has never spoken to her, unless wanting her to take something or run an errand. She wasn't that bad.. Hongki thought, when she helped him run ALL his errands very delightfully. That helped Hongki a lot, but he still couldn't forget that she.. was also the reason for omma's death.

 

Since the death of Hongki's omma, his studies have become worse, and he failed several subjects. He couldn't pay attention in class, had no mood to do his homework, and always got involved in fights at school. He was always bullied by the other, bigger kids, who mocked him or laughed at his hairstyle. Sometimes, they would call Hongki names, or sometimes say that his parents didn't taught him well, causing Hongki to flare and start punching them with his fists.

 

The school called his father and told him about how his studies were deteriorating, and how he never completes his homework, and also the way he talks to other students and get involves in fights. Hongki got scolded pretty badly after all of this happening, and because he always had bruises or a swollen eye whenever he came back home. He would be grounded for a week, not allowed to go outside and was forced to do the housework, or study in his room... which he ends up sleeping. Eunhee would sometimes help him do the housework when he sleeps, but then that also made Hongki mad. Especially when she cleans his room.

 

"I told you not to touch my things." Hongki said as he picked up his books which he left open.

 

"I just wanted to help-"

 

"Without my permission. Being the nice guy again? When appa finds out he's going to blame me for asking you to do my work when I never asked!"

 

"But I won't let appa know-"

 

"Just because you're my sister, that doesn't mean you can simply touch my stuff. I am still older than you, and you should respect me."

 

"Sorry, oppa-"

 

"Get out."

 

....

 

Thirteen years old, Hongki managed to study high school. Eunhee was only six. It was because of that's why we're not close... Eunhee thought. Appa didn't really explain to her why she had no mother, because she was too young to understand. He didn't want Eunhee to think that she was a murderer, and started blaming herself for omma's death. Especially when Hongki hated her so much now.

 

"Oppa.. could you teach me this? I don't understand." Eunhee knocked on her brother's door and talked to him from outside.

 

"Figure it out yourself, I'm busy."

 

"But oppa, I've been working on it for an hour.. I don't know how to do it."

 

Hongki shouted in annoyance and opened the door.

 

"What?"

 

"Just-"

 

Hongki grabbed her book and threw it somewhere on the floor.

 

"You know what? There's something I really want to tell you. You think, that you're a good little kid, because dad never scolds you, but you've done one thing that has hurt me for the rest of my life. Your birth, marked the day my nightmare began. Do you even know why you don't have a mother?"

 

Eunhee looked at her brother with tears in her eyes, slowing shaking her head.

 

"Has appa ever told you..." Hongki had to calm himself down. "...when omma died?"

 

Eunhee shook her head again.

 

"Well, she died, when you were born."

 

"My... birthday?"

 

"Yes. Because she wanted to save your life, she had to risk her's... and you, are the reason why she died."

 

Eunhee gulped. She felt guilty though she was only six.

 

"In other words, you, are a murderer."

 

....

 

"Hongki-ah! Did you fight with other students again?" Hongki's father called when he came back from work.

 

Hongki just turned 14, and he was being a better student at school, in his studies at least. But he often fought with other students too. But it was for a different thing now. He made a very close friend called Jonghoon, and they were always together, other people started calling him gay. Hongki ignored it at first, but they brought it to an extent where Hongki could no longer hold it in.

 

Things between Hongki and his father became worse. Hongki was always upset at his father for always being nice to Eunhee, praising her for being smart, good girl; while he always got scolded for causing trouble at school, and never helping around the house. But his father was pressured too- a single father who needs to work and take care of two children, and his wife no longer there to bring a smile to his face, he just wasn't in good shape.

 

....

 

"It's because of YOU! Because of you omma died. She wanted to save your life, and now she left me and appa. It's all your fault!"

 

Hongki threw a book at Eunhee, causing her to cry.

 

"AE HONG KI! You will not do that sister! She's your only sister!" Hongki got scolded by his appa.

 

"So what? She killed omma! Not directly, but still! It's because of her omma died!"

 

"How many times have we talked about this Hongki? You musn't put the blame on your sister! No one wanted it to happen!"

 

"You don't love mum do you, appa? Why are you protecting her?" He pointed at me. "If omma went for abortion and went for that surgery, she wouldn't have died! And she-" He pointed at me again. "-won't even be here, burdening us! I don't want her as my sister!" Hongki bellowed.

 

Appa slapped Hongki. Eunhee, watched them and continued crying.

 

"I'm sick of all of you. Only omma would understand. But now she's GONE!" Hongki glared at Eunhee.

 

Hongki ran to his room and came down a few minutes later with a packed luggage. It was pretty obvious he had already planned to leave the house.

 

"Hongki. If you step out of this house, you're not coming back." His appa warned, with the real intention of wanting him to come back.

 

But it didn't work on Hongki. He had already made his decision to leave that family.

 

"Oppa." Eunhee pleaded.

 

"I'm not your oppa." He said coldly, and left the house.

 

"HONG KI YOU COME BACK HERE!" Appa bellowed.

 

He went and never returned.

 

....

 

Sixteen-year old Hongki stayed with Jonghoon for two years after his left the house. Jonghoon who had talent in playing the keyboard and the guitar persuaded him to go for audition with him. Hongki agreed, hoping that it would change his life, and he was glad he had chance to show his talent to the world. He could show those who once looked down on him, that he wasn't an idiot, and will become much more famous than all of them.

 

You guys just watch me.

 

 

....

 

That day was the day that Hongki's life changed completely. He lived happily, till this day...

 

He was no longer Ae Hongki. He was Lee Hongki.