CHAPTER 9: Reasons

Flavor of Love

 

 

Lee: Hey, hey! (He greeted Mina happily) Hello.

Mina: Hi.

Lee: So how are you doing?

Mina: Well thanks to the book that Sae and Ji Eun gave to me. It’s about how to move on from a break up.

Lee: Well, I also have something that could help you.

Mina: (Curious) Really? What is it?

Lee: Secret. After school, I’ll take you there.

Mina: Cool.

 

 

            1 day before the sports festival everyone is in school preparing. Of course that includes Sae, Ji Eun and Ryu. But the busiest is Sae since she joined in 3 sports. In the morning she first has her practice for the long jump then swimming and in the afternoon would be the Tae-Kwando. However even if she’s busy she still have time to talk with Jun every time he visits her just to make her taste of whatever he cook.

 

[At the pool side]

 

Sae: So what do we have? (Sae rarely blush whenever he’s beside her)

Jun: Actually I have nothing but I…wanna invite you.

 

            Sae was surprise so before he even say anything more she quickly answered back because of having a thought that he’s going to ask her for a date.

 

Sae: I can’t. I have a lot of things to do.

Jun: Oh, is that so…but I really want you to go there.

Sae: Sorry but I’m busy, you see I still need to practice and I’m already tired.

Jun: It’ll only be for 2 hours. Please?

Sae: I am really sorry.

Jun: It’s okay. Just pray for me. It’ll not be easy to fight for a former champion.

Sae: Huh?

Jun: You know the former champion in cooking competition here.

 

            That’s when Sae realize that he’s not going to ask her out but to invite her to watch his battle in the cooking champion.

 

Sae: Tsk.

Jun: Hm?

Sae: Nothing. So what time will it start?

Jun: 6:30. If you can or still have time please do come…

Sae: Yeah, I’ll try.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            In the field Ji Eun and Ryu continue to practice while Lui is also there sitting in the grass watching them sometimes he goes and left them but also goes back after a while. Ryu already gets irritated towards him however they only feel the same way with each other. Lui even prepared a lunch for Ji Eun and himself because he knows that Ji Eun doesn’t have that much food because she’s saving her money for her daily expenses.

 

Lui: You don’t have to pay for your tuition if you’ll just accept the offer of the principal. Don’t worry I already talk to him about your condition.

Ji Eun: How many times will I tell you this?

Lui: I know but you always say no. You’ll say…

           (Imitating her voice and action) “’I can’t accept that scholarship especially that I’m not really that good in academics and sports.”’

            But…you’re a very hardworking person, so you deserve to be a scholar of this school.

Ji Eun: Thanks, but my answer would still be no. There are so many students out there who are much deserving than me. Besides my parents saved some money for my education, I think that’s enough.

Lui: Are you really really really sure???

Ji Eun: Aha. (Nodding) Oh, before I forget I have something for you.

Lui: (Smile) Really? Should I close my eyes?

Ji Eun: (Excited) Yes!

 

            So Lui close his eyes and Ji Eun took his hands and put her gift in his hands and when he opened his eyes he saw a handmade bracelet.

 

Ji Eun: I made that! It’s our friendship bracelet. Don’t you ever lose it because they say that we’re going to fight if that happens.

Lui: Of course I will never lose it. (He said as he wore it)

Ryu: Hey! Lunch is over.

 

 

[After school]

Lee: So are you ready? (He asked as he opens the door of his car)

Mina: Yes, just make sure this is not a prank.

Lee: Let’s see. But I assure you, you’ll enjoy it.

 

            He started his car then went off and after less than an hour when they’re finally close with his destination Lee asked Mina to cover her eyes with the use of the handkerchief which he handed to her. Then after a while Mina felt that he already parked his car. Ryu opened the door for her and he helped her get out of the car and walk. They walked for about more than 10 steps until Lee made her stop. She can feel something touching her feet but it’s not something creepy so when finally asked her to take off the handkerchief she first saw so many balloons on the grass. When she looked around they are at the hill which is special to her, she’s at the center of so many balloons and under the tree she saw a blanket with so many foods. It’s actually her favorite foods

 

Lee: So do you like it?

Mina: Of course! Who wouldn’t love this?

Lee: You probably don’t remember this place but this is the first time we saw each other. My band and I was resting on that tree when you appeared and ask for our autograph.

Mina: (Smiled as she remembered those days)

Lee: They often asked me this question and you already did ask me this. Why am I doing all these things for you? I have two answers. First is because this is my way of saying sorry for you, and make me pay for what I’ve done. Second…Second…is because…(He took a deep sigh) I love you. Yes, I know I’m stupid I’m saying this after I rejected you 2 years ago. But believe me or not I already love you that time but I’m not yet ready to give up my career. You don’t have to say anything yet because I know you’re not yet ready to love again but I can wait until you’re ready again I just want to let this out that’s why I said this to you. But please don’t…avoid me…L-like what I did to you but if y-you want to its okay for me you have all the rights.

Mina: …You should have said that after we eat, com’on let’s eat now. I’m hungry. (Smile)

Lee: (Smile)

 

            And so they eat all the food being more comfortable with each other after that they lied down and watch the sky.

 

Mina: About what you said a while ago. Though I’ve been waiting for you to say that to me 2 years ago, you’re right I’m not yet ready to fall in love again. And don’t worry I’m not going to avoid you because I know how it feels like.

Lee: (Gulp)

Mina: But I also believe that we will have our right time and when that time comes we will both be ready.

Lee: You’re right but remember this; from now on I’ll always be ready.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            The competition takes place in a studio-like kitchen where the audiences are sitting in front watching every moves of the chefs.

 

Emcee: Hello everyone! Today we’re going to witness a very good fight between the former champion and a rising star chef! So let’s welcome them! First is the former champion Mr. Yang! And the rising star chef, Mr. Jun!

 

            As Jun walks in he felt so nervous just like with his former fights he always get nervous that he can’t control his hands in trembling. He looked around to look for Sae if she’s there so as to at least make his nervousness lessen because he knows there’s someone supporting him. However she’s not around but he has lot of supporters which are his fan girls.

 

Emcee: Okay, so are you guys ready?! In 3-2-1!!! Start!!

 

            Jun and Lee went on their position and started to prepare their foods.

 

Emcee: Wow! We can now see all their ingredients! I wonder what food they will prepare. Let me just remind you that the winner of this cooking competition will get a cooking showcase and will be able to meet the famous Chef  Akari  who just got 2nd place for the world’s cooking competition! So you guys should do your best!

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            After their practice Lui was waiting for Ji Eun in the school gate to drop her in her work. However when they’re about to go someone called on the cell phone of Lui. After he hangs up he told her that he needs to stay to wait for his sister.

 

Lui: I am really sorry Ji Eun but Sae called me and said it is an emergency.

Ji Eun: It’s okay.

 

            She went out of his car and started walking as Lui watch her back. Ryu saw her walking so he ran over her.            

 

Ryu: Yo! Where’s your best friend? Isn’t he going to take you to work? I guess he ditch you.

Ji Eun: Sae called and asks him to wait for her.

Ryu: I don’t understand. Sae and Lui are siblings are they twins?

Ji Eun: Nope. They both came in an orphan but their parents treated them like their own son and daughter.

Ryu: Hmmm…okay.

Ji Eun: So where are you going? You have a date again?

Ryu: I already told you right? My focus is the game and I realized that I’ve dated enough so I’ll stop for a while.

Ji Eun: (Laugh) what a reason. You really think that girls are really over you neh?

Ryu: Aren’t they? (Smile)

Ji Eun: Don’t do that smile to me it won’t work with me.

Ryu: I know that’s why I’m open with you eh.

 

            Then he put his hand at her head making her irritated and him laugh at her. While walking Ryu suddenly felt that someone is following them.

 

Ryu: Ji Eun, don’t look back but I think someone’s following us. (He whispered)

Ji Eun: Huh? W-what should we do? (She whispered worriedly)

Ryu: Can you still run? I’ll hold your hand, don’t worry. (Whisper)

Ji Eun: Okay.

 

            So Ryu hold the hand of Ji Eun and they ran very fast however it’s not only one who’s going after them. In their surprise someone with a bat appeared in front of them blocking their way and so they turned around and was about to run when another two appeared also bringing bats, and they cornered them in a dark place where only one light post lighten the area.

 

Ryu: Who are you?! What do you want?

Rem: My name is Rem! You might not remember me but I surely know you know my brother very well. His name is Torou.

Ryu: Of course I know him. Did he send you here? We already agreed that we will have a rematch! So what do you want?!

Rem: (Laugh) A rematch?  So you mean you will not pay anything after you ran away.

Ryu: I did not ran away and plus you don’t have anything to do with this.

Rem: Yes I do! I’ll make you pay! Good thing you’re girlfriend is here. This will be more interesting.

Ryu: She has nothing to do with this. If you want a fight then you’ll have it!

 

            He moved very fast that Rem didn’t notice that Ryu is already in his front. Ryu punches him in the face then he took his bat and hit the other two. Then he kicked Rem and hit his body with the bat. One of his side-kicks hit on Ryu but he was able to avoid it and gave it back to him however when he’s about to punch on the other side-kick Rem called his attention.

 

Rem: Yah! Are you going to stop or I’ll just hit this girl? (With a knife on the neck of Ji Eun)

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            It’s already 7:30 when Sae came out running towards his brother’s car. She quickly rides in and told him the direction where they are going.

 

Sae: (Panting) Sorry for keeping you waiting.

Lui: It’s okay but you’re really in wrong timing. I was about to bring Ji Eun in her work.

Sae: Huh, as if it’s your first time to take her there.

Lui: No, but I saw Ryu took my place.

Sae: Jealous much?

Lui: …

            So why are you going there?

Sae: My friend is there. You know one of the triplets, the chef.

Lui: I see. You’re friends with him now. Looks like your wish is already been granted.

Sae: I never wished to be friends with him.

Lui: Oh I forgot you want him as a…

Sae: Shut up!

Lui: Oh com’on I know you admire him. You don’t have to hide it from me. At least now you two are becoming closer. So how do you feel towards him?

Sae: …Actually I don’t know. Besides it looks like he’s treating me like I’m his sister. How about you? How did you finally conclude that you really love Ji Eun not just a friend?

 

            In his surprise he pressed the break real hard.

 

Sae: You don’t have to hide it from me, right?

Lui: (Deep sigh) Eh, I don’t know I just felt it.

Sae: But how?

Lui: I can’t explain. It’s something intense. It’s like you feel tense and at the same time happy when she/he is around or when you see him/her.

            We’re here…Go now I’m sure you don’t want to keep your little chef waiting and I still have to check on Ji Eun.

 

            Sae quickly ran inside and when she got to the event she saw Jun presenting his food in the judges. So she walked in the front row to have a better view. Then she remembered what her brother just said that you’ll feel happy and tense whenever he’s around or see him. She was thinking about it when Jun noticed her there and smiled at her, she felt a sudden tense in her whole body and it’s like her question was already answered.

            There were 3 judges there and after tasting all the foods that both contestants had prepared. They finally got on the final decision which they sealed in a paper and they gave it to the emcee.

 

Emcee: Oh! I have the results! (He opened it) Looks like we don’t have a unanimous decision here! But surely we have a winner! And he is…none other than…Mr.! Jun!!!

 

            It was Sae who first clapped and stood up after announcing the results because the audiences are also feels nervous of what the result is. But after Sae clapped they also stood up and clapped with her.

 

Emcee: Congratulations Jun! You’ll have a cooking showcase and here’s your access to the hotel of Mr. Jae!

Jun: Thank you…Thank you…

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            Ryu looked at him fiercely that made Rem scared in his place.

           

Ryu: I told you she has nothing to do with this so let go of her.

Rem: Give back my bat and kneel down.

 

            Without any more choice Ryu threw the bat and kneeled down. Rem quickly took the bat and let one of his side-kicks to take care of Ji Eun.

 

Rem: You see I wouldn’t have to do that to your girlfriend if you’re much obedient. But since I’m kind don’t worry I’m not going to touch your beloved girlfriend though I admit she looks… (He looked at Ji Eun) delicious…

Ryu: (He looked at him fiercely) don’t you dare…

Rem: Stop that look!

 

            With anger he hit Ryu with the bat making Ji Eun looked away.

 

Rem: I hate that look of yours! And I hate you!! You have to pay for what you’ve done!

 

            Rem and his side-kick continue to hit on him until he’s already lying on the ground. However when they stopped to rest for a while Ryu was still managed to kneel.

 

Ryu: Is that all what you’ve got? You are nothing compare to your brother.

Rem: Aaaaah!!! (He was about to hit him in the head when Ji Eun scream)

Ji Eun: Stop! Stop!! Please!!! Isn’t that enough?

Rem: Stay away from this girly!

Ji Eun: Do you want money?! I’ll just pay you then leave him alone!

Rem: (Laugh) this is not about money, this is about revenge. Do you know that word? But if you want after we put him into sleep we will get your money but for now shut up!!

 

            Rem was about to hit him again when his side-kick screams in pain when he turned around he saw Ji Eun biting his hand really hard. Ryu quickly took the opportunity and punched the face of Rem then he kicked the other side-kick. While Ji Eun with the use of the bat that’s on the floor she hit the guy that she just bitten making him fell down on the floor. Rem stood up and hit Ryu in the back making him kneel down but he quickly stood up and made a punch on Rem’s stomach. Then Ryu continue to fight the other side-kick who is much better than Rem. Ji Eun wanted to help Ryu however the other side-kick made something that made her fell on the ground. But someone she’s not expecting came in and kicked that guy and helped Ryu in fighting after a while all three of them where all in the ground with pain.

Ryu: Never come back again! Or else I will not think twice to fight you again till death!

 

            They stood up and walk away in pain. However the guy who helped them gave Ryu a punch in the face.

 

Lui: How dare you put her life in danger?!

Ji Eun: Lui, it’s not his fault.

Ryu: You think I want this to happen?!

Lui: Yes, you don’t but it happened and this is all because of your fault!

            Com’on Ji Eun we have to go now.

Ji Eun: What about Ryu we can’t leave him here.

Ryu: I’m fine. You should rest now.

Ji Eun: Are you sure? What if they’ll come back?

Ryu: I can take care of myself. (Then he left)

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    

Jun: Thank you for coming. I saved this for you. (Handed a lunch box)

Sae: Eh, you should have saved this to your brothers.

Jun: You’re the one who came not them so just accept it.

Sae: Okay, besides I love foods. Thank you. Oh by the way I also have something for you. (Then she handed a flower origami)

Jun: Wow! Did you make this?

Sae: Yah, because I know you’re going to win this competition.

Jun: You’re awesome! Thanks! I’ll keep this. But you know I’m really excited to meet Akari. He’s a great chef!

Sae: Sounds familiar. Is he kind of a celebrity chef?

Jun: No, he got the 2nd place at the last world’s cooking competition and you know what he’s only 23 years old.

Sae: So when will you meet this guy?

Jun: I don’t know yet but when it happened can you come with me?

Sae: Sure! I want to meet this guy. But also don’t forget to watch me tomorrow okay?

Jun: Don’t worry I won’t be absent or even late.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            Lui stopped his car in front of Ji Eun’s house. Ji Eun can feel that Lui is still angry that’s why ever since they left he didn’t say a word to her. So she just said her goodnight to her and left but Lui also stepped out in his car to talk to her.

 

Lui: You should stop seeing him.

Ji Eun: We are both tired let’s just have rest and not talk about this now.

Lui: No! He just put your life in danger and you want me to act like it didn’t happen?! I know he don’t want that to happen! But he knows those guys and when you’re with him you’re also putting your life in danger!

Ji Eun: So you just want me to avoid him? If you’re in his place you want me to avoid you too? I’m his friend and a friend will not leave their friend especially when they have problems!

Lui: Why can’t you understand?! I’m just trying to protect you.

Ji Eun: If that’s the way on how you want to protect me you should stop now.

Lui: So you’re puRyug me away for this guy?

Ji Eun: Of course not. You’re my best friend I will never do that…

Lui: Actually you already did…

 

            Lui walk away and took off, Ji Eun ran after him but he’s already gone and as she walk back to her house she felt a sharp pain on her knee and when she looked down she saw the lower part of her knee bleeding.