CHAPTER 13: Challenges

Flavor of Love

 

 

           

            This is Ji Eun’s first day of work after her hospitalization and so her co-workers prepared something for her. As soon as she opened the door of the café all the people there clapped and then Jae and Tomo gave her a small cake as if it’s her birthday.

 

Tomo: I know we already had a celebration at the hospital but we want to welcome you back.

Jae: Finally, you are here again. There will be no boring time for me!

Ji Eun: (Laugh) Thank you guys. Thank you Ma’am Lia.

Lia: We really missed you. (She gives her a hug)

        So…Let’s start now! (Smiling)

 

            So they prepared themselves and while Ji Eun is changing her clothes she received a call from Mina who is really panicking.

 

Mina: Hey Ji Eun, I need your help.

Ji Eun: What happened?

Mina: Remember the tickets? I just found out that a while ago that the Band Five will open the concert! What should I do? (She said panicking)

Ji Eun: What? That’s his former band right?

Mina: Yeah! I already gave him his tickets and he’s all excited.

Ji Eun: Make some excuses, tell him you can’t come or just change your plan.

Mina: You think that would work? He knew that I really wanted to go to that concert.

Ji Eun: Well, you don’t have another choice. (Lia called her)

        I’m sorry I have to work now. Good luck! (Then she hangs up)

Tomo: Talking to your knight? (He teases because of what they last saw at the hospital)

Ji Eun: It’s not him.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

            Mina went to the park where she will meet Lee. When she got to the park Lee was already there. Still nervous she walked towards him with small steps.

 

Lee: Hey are you okay?

Mina: Ah, A-actually no.

Lee: You’re just excited! I already felt that before.

Mina: No. I-I have stomach ache. (She acted like she really has)

Lee: Butterflies in the stomach. Why don’t we eat first, besides its still early to go there?

Mina: Huh? Y-yeah, of course.

 

            They went on to the nearest restaurant and eat there.

 

Lee: By the way this morning…

Mina: What about this morning? Did you see something?

Lee: No? Actually, yes.

Mina: W-what? What is it?

Lee: About…About my brother, he prepared a food for guy. Do you think that’s weird?

Mina: That’s it?

Lee: Yeah? Why?

Mina: N-nothing! I don’t think it’s weird at all. Sae told me that they’re going to a famous chef.

Lee: How come he didn’t even tell that to us?

Mina: (Shrugged her shoulders)

          Ahm, excuse me, I need to go to rest room.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            Both of them looked up at the tall building where Chef Akari’s condo unit is located.

 

Sae: Woah, he must be really rich.

Jun: Yeah. Come on. I’m sure he’s waiting for us.

 

            They entered the building and when they finally found his room which is at the 9th floor Jun excitedly pressed the doorbell. When the door opens Jun suddenly felt an electric current to his spine and it made him nervous. Akari is tall and has a tanned skin, his hair is tied up and it looks like it’s up to his shoulder level. He is not that handsome but very attractive and has a strong charisma.

 

Akari: Who are you?

Jun: Ahm…(he is so nervous that he wasn’t able to talk)

Sae: Ah, he’s the one who won the cooking contest. Didn’t they call you? He is Jun.

Akari: Ah, you’re that guy. Come in.

 

            Still star struck Jun came in slowly in his condo unit which is quite big. Akari sit down in his couch so they also sat in opposite of him.

 

Akari: So…What now? (He asked in a boring way)

 

            Sae elbowed Jun so that he will say something.

 

Jun: Ah, y-yeah. Can I have your autograph? A-and can we take a picture together?

Akari: Yes

 

            Jun sat beside him and Sae took a picture of them together then Akari signed on Jun’s cookbook.

 

Akari: Okay, that’s it?

Jun: Ah, o-one more thing. I made a dish, is it okay if you’ll taste and give a comment?

Akari: Yeah.

Jun: (He handed it to Akari) Here. (Smiling)

 

            Akari took a bit of the dish and tasted it, he slowly chew it and after he swallowed it he composed his self and gave his comment.

Akari: I need to be honest. It’s not good.

Jun: (His smile fades away) A-are you sure. That’s my winning dish.

Akari: Well, you’re lucky enough that I didn’t want to be a judge.

            I think you can go now.

 

            Jun stood up and clenches his hands, he looked at him but then he realized that all he can do is to accept what he heard.

 

Jun: Okay. (He said sadly)

Akari: Hey wait, one more thing bring this with you. (He pointed at the dish). I don’t want it.

 

            He quickly took it and ran away and leaving Sae there.

 

Sae: Why are you so rude? You only took a small part of his dish, how would you be able to taste it?!

Akari: Are you questioning my ability? Huh, you better go now.

 

            Angrily, she left his unit and looked for Jun outside however she can’t find him anywhere.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            After a minute Mina went out from the rest room and saw Lee watching the television while waiting for her, and in her surprise when she looked up to the television she saw that the news is about the concert. Mina quickly run to their table and distracted Lee.

 

Mina: Hi! Ah, can we go now?

Lee: Right now? What about your food?

Mina: Ah, I…Let’s go somewhere okay? Come on. (She grabbed his arm and led him outside the restaurant)

Lee: What’s wrong with you? (Concern of what she is acting)

Mina: (Took a deep breath) Me? Nothing. I’m fine. But I think we should not go to the concert.

Lee: Why? You told me that they are your favorite band now and besides this is their last stop before they head to other countries.

Mina: Ah, eh, hm…I-I feel sick that’s why.

Lee: Are you sure you don’t want to go?

Mina: Yeah, I don’t so can we go home now?

Lee: Okay.

 

            He called for a taxi and went on to Mina’s house. However while they’re on the road the news about the concert was reported on the radio again. Mina quickly make move and tried to stop it but the driver scolded her. Mina scolded back the driver and turned off the radio but the driver stopped the taxi and told Mina to stop or else he will call the police, so she stopped and told Lee to take another taxi but since Lee is suspicious of her actions he asked the driver to turn on the radio and he listen to the news about the concert.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            Sae looked for Jun around the ground floor of the building but cannot find him so she went outside and at the side of the building where there’s a small garden she saw him sitting under a tree.

 

Sae: There you are.

Jun: ….

          I don’t deserve to win, that’s what he meant.

Sae: Don’t listen to him. You’re good.

Jun: But he’s an expert he knows a lot than me.

Sae:  I know, I’m not a chef or an expert but I tell you you’re really good.

Jun: (deep sigh) I need to go home now. There’s no point to be here.

 

            He stood up and walked away but then Sae blocked his way and shook him.

 

Sae: So you’re gonna give up? Just like that?! Win or lose you should not give up!

Jun: W-wait. Stop. (So she stopped shaking him)

          Who told you that I’m gonna give up? That’s not in our vocabulary.

Sae: But you look so depress. Then what do you mean?

Jun: Of course I’m sad, but that doesn’t mean that I’ll give up. I’ll try another dish and ask him another chance to taste it.

Sae: You think he will give you another chance?

Jun: I don’t know but like you said I should not give up. That’s why I have to go and prepare it now.

Sae: Aaah, okay.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~In the taxi~

 

            After hearing the news Lee decided to go to the concert so they changed their destination.

 

Lee: You don’t have to do that.

Mina: But…

Lee: I-I’m okay with it and that was years ago there’s no reason to run away from it. And you really wanted to go r-right?

Mina: …

Lee: Okay, we’re here.

 

            Outside the dome they can hear the people screaming which means that the concert is already started. They went inside and took their sits which is at the third row in front. The song filled the stadium which is a pop song from a band, and that band is the former band of Lee that is named five because it is composed of five members. The people sung with the band since their songs are also becoming popular.

 

            Lee took a deep sigh as he looked at the new lead vocalist which is his former place from the band then he moved his eyes to the other members. He then remembers his days with them with all their hardships, happiness, trials and their first gig. He even imagined himself singing and playing the guitar in the stage performing their songs with them that night; however when the song ended his small dream quickly faded away. He looked at Mina who is just looking at the stage but then he realized that she didn’t took her hands with him like giving her support with him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            When Jun got home Ryu was there lying comfortably at their sofa but he notice the sad face of Jun so he asked him.

 

Ryu: Hey, what’s with that face?

Jun: … (He sat beside his brother)

         It’s about the food that I made.

Ryu: What about it?

Jun: Akari told me that it’s not good.

Ryu: What? Is he taking drugs?

          Come on let’s show him what he deserves! He can’t do this to you. That dish is delicious! (He stood up grabbed the arm of Jun)

Jun: Stop. Not now.

Ryu: What do you mean?

Jun: I’ll make another dish and ask him to taste it again.

Ryu: Aish. What made you so sure that he will taste it again? You should go there now and stuck the food in his mouth so he’ll realize that he was wrong.

Jun: You know that I’m not like you. I can do it, trust me.

Ryu: (Sigh) if that’s what you want, but if you need any help you can ask your brother, okay?

Jun: (Nod) Thanks.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            After the 2 hour concert all the people went outside the dome and talked about how awesome the concert was. One of them is Mina who kept on talking about how she got excited when she saw her favorite band and how nice their voices was while singing their songs live while Lee is just quiet listening to her and when they were about to get into the taxi a familiar voice called Lee. He is sure of whom it is. It’s Nami the bass guitarist who is a Five member and also the closest to him. Then after a while he heard the other members calling Nami. Good thing there are no a lot of people in the streets to recognize them. Mina was about to look back when Lee took her hand and stopped her.

 

Lee: Don’t look back. (Whisper)

Nami: Hey, Lee! I know it’s you!

Drummer: Nami, it’s not him. We need to go now.

Nami: Lee. Please, you don’t have to go.

Pianist: Stop that Nami! It’s not him and even if it’s him he really should have to go because he betrayed us.

Nami: No he didn’t. Why don’t you guys understand that?!

            Lee…(She called again but he already took the taxi)

 

 

 

~In front of Mina’s house~

 

 

Lee: Okay, you really did enjoy the concert neh?

Mina: (Nod) Yeah. Thank you for coming with me, even if…

Lee: You should go now. Good night.

Mina: G-good night.

           

            She walked away but Lee run after her and hugged her from the back. He took a deep sigh with tears in his eyes.

 

Lee: I’m so confuse right now. I feel happy that you’re here and concern with me but at the same time I feel so guilty of what I did to them. I should have stayed here. I left them in our most crucial time.

Mina: Lee. (She said as she hold his arm that is wrapped around her)

 

PS: Please comment and subscribe! Thank You and God Bless!