CHAPTER 14: Chances

Flavor of Love

 

 

            Today is a typical day at school which is kind of boring to students; Ji Eun was able to come in exact time when Mrs. Chin came in. Lee and Jun were in deep thought thinking about what happened to them yesterday. Sae is thinking of how she could help Jun while Ryu who sat at the back of Ji Eun is just observing his brothers. In the middle of their discussion one of the faculty member knock on the door and talked to Mrs. Chin, after a while Mrs. Chin called Sae to go to the Principal’s office and so everyone was wondering why she was summoned to the Principal’s office.

 

            When Sae opened the door she saw another person beside the principal, when that person faced her Sae felt anger rather than surprise or shock.

 

Sae: Dad, what is he doing here?

Akari: Is that how you say thank you to the person who brought back your phone? (He handed her phone)

Sae: I’ve been looking for this, you stole it?!

Akari: Huh, why don’t you just say thank you? (He complained)

Sae: Why would I say that?

Principal: Sae! (Giving her a look) Excuse us for a while.

           

            He said to Akari and so they went out from the Principal’s office.

 

Principal: Did I raise you like that? You should thank that person.

Sae: Dad, he’s the person that I’m telling you yesterday, the one who said bad things to Jun.

Principal: Well, he’s not bad at all he went here to bring your phone back.

Sae: …

         Okay, I’ll thank him, but don’t expect me to be good to him.

Principal: Hm, another thing before you came in he’s asking me if I could allow you to go out with him.

Sae: What?! No. So that’s the reason why he brought back my phone?

Principal: I don’t know. But you see I don’t think he’s a bad person.

Sae: Well dad, he’s not what you think he is.

 

            After that small conversation with her Dad they went in and though hesitant Sae thanked Akari for bringing her phone back.

 

Principal: By the way Akari, I do not allow my daughter to go out with you.

Akari: Did she tell you this? Because a while ago you just said its okay with you.

 

            Sae gave her father a look because he didn’t tell her that he already approved of what he’s asking and so to escape from it she quickly went out of the room but Akari ran after her.

 

Akari: Wait, Sae! (So she faced him)

Sae: What do you want?

Akari: You. I’m interested to you.

Sae: What is this? You’re a e now or you want to play with people’s lives? Go and find someone else.

 

            She turned her back and was about to walk away but the next words that Akari said to her made her stop.

 

Akari: I’ll give your friend a second chance. I’m sure you want to help your friend. Just one date with me.

Sae: I know that he can do it without your help.

Akari: (Laugh) Are you insane? I’m the only one who could give him that second chance.

            I’ll wait you in my car and if you didn’t appear in 2 minutes let’s just forget of what I proposed to you.

Sae: …

 

            Akari left her and went to his car and as soon as he went inside his blue BMW car he started his time. He looked at the school gate and there’s only seconds left but still there’s no sign of Sae. He started his engine then he looked at the school once again but it’s still the same so he pressed the gas but then he saw Sae standing in front of his car so he quickly stepped on the break. Sae gets in his car without saying any word while Akari smirked as he looked at her.

 

Akari: Good choice.

Sae: I’m doing this for Jun.

Akari: You know I don’t find any interesting to that guy but why do you like him?

Sae: (Blushing) No. H-he’s just my friend.

          And don’t say he’s not interesting, you don’t know him! I don’t understand why you are so rude to him! Are you jealous of him?

Akari: (Laugh) why would I be jealous with that kid? He’s not that good at all.

Sae: Didn’t you parents teach you a good moral conduct!? You’re so bad…

 

            Akari didn’t answer her right away and Sae felt something different towards his change of reaction.

 

Akari: Yeah they didn’t teach me. (He muttered)

Sae: …

         S-sorry…I shouldn’t have brought up your personal life.

 

            Akari stopped the car and looked at her then he burst out laughing.

 

Sae: Why are you laughing? Did I say something? (Annoyed of his actions)

Akari: You’re sorry of my parents? That’s ridiculous. They’re totally fine with their families.

Sae: What do you mean? (She curiously asked him)

 

            Akari looked in front and think before he answered her question like it’s really hard for him to talk about his parents.

 

Akari: …Both of them have their own family before I came into their lives…That…That is why I’m just a mistake. (He looked up trying to hold on to his tears) Well at least they didn’t think of aborting me right?

Sae: Do you still see them?
Akari: (Deep sigh) No, the last time I saw them face to face was when I was 16 when they asked me to live on my own; well, they also told me that they will provide all my needs and give me allowance as long as I will keep this secret. It’s really hard to know where someone belongs. (He said as he wiped the tear rolled down in his face)

Sae: Then…then why are you telling me this now?

Akari: I didn’t tell you this to get your sympathy or anything. (He said sincerely looking into her eyes) I just know that I can trust you; you’re the first person to know this, so I hope you’ll keep it.

Sae: … What do you mean? What will I not tell? I don’t remember anything.

 

            She smiled at him and Akari smiled back as he understands what she just said.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            After their class ended Sae’s friends were still wondering where did she gone. She only left a text message with Mina and Ji Eun which says: I went out with a friend. They are also intrigue who that friend is especially Jun.

 

Jun: Whose friend is she saying?

Ji Eun: I don’t know. (Shrugged)

Mina: Maybe a friend from the orphanage.

Jun: Does she have any close friends in orphanage?

Lui: We have a lot of friends there. I’m sure she’s fine so let’s not think things. (He said looking straight at Jun)

            Ji Eun, come on I’ll take you home. (So they left)

Ryu: What is his problem? Why is he always like that?

Mina: I’m sure it’s because of you. (She whispered to herself)

Ryu: What?

Mina: Nothing. (Smiling)

          Hey, Lee why are you so quiet?

Lee: Ah, I think I just have to go now. (Then he rushed outside the school)

Ryu: (Sigh) He’s been acting so strange since last night. Tell me what happened? You’re the last person he’s with.

Mina: I can’t talk about it, just ask him. (She said as she walked away)

 

            So there’s only Ryu and Jun left and it’s like Jun is not there because he’s thinking of Sae and the friend that she’s saying.

 

Ryu: Yah! What are you still doing here?

Jun: Huh? (Confuse)

Ryu: You should go home now and prepare your dish! You have to forget about your jealousy for a while okay? You need to focus. Focus. Focus.

Jun: No! I…I’m not jealous at all! Wh-why are you thinking like that?

Ryu: Aish. As if I don’t know those kinds of feelings. Jun, I know what is happening since the day you met Sae.

Jun: Stop that! I…You should not talk about that here in school.

Ryu: Fine. But you should go now and do your dish!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

            Lee quickly started his car that as if he saw a ghost or something. He was about to press the gas when the ghost that he’s hiding from was just right in front of him.  She’s a girl with a short hair that has some red color in it, she has a rocker outfit and piercing in her ears but with that appearance she still looks attractive. She looked at him with teary eyes.

 

Lee: Nami (He said under his breath).

 

            Nami walked in and get in his car and still looking at him with blunt face and teary eyes.

 

Nami: I knew it was you. (She said with tears flowing from her eyes) Why are you running away? I know you saw me a while ago. And yesterday at the concert it is you right?

Lee: … (He looked away)

Nami: Lee! Why are you acting like this?

Lee: (He then looked back at her) It’s because I feel guilty! Whatever will I say it will not change anything. Let’s just forget all about it.

Nami: What happened to the brave leader that we knew?

Lee: People change, besides I’m really happy of where the band now.

Nami: You don’t seem happy. You…you could go back if you want. I’m sure they will accept you.

Lee: …It’s just that it’s not the same thing as before. Your band is getting successful now especially that I’m gone. Nami you’re a good person don’t waste your time with a person like me.

Nami: You have to stop blaming yourself it’s not your fault. He did it to his self.

Lee: I know, but I felt responsible for it and If only I stayed he may not did it!

 

            Lee said with tears as he remembered when Nami called him to tell him that the youngest member of their band committed suicide.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~Triplet’s House~

 

Ryu: Is it done? I wanna taste it. (He looked at Jun’s mixing)

Jun: Not yet.

Ryu: Aish. I’m so hungry.

Jun: Do you have any idea what is happening to Lee? Do you think it’s about Rino?

Ryu: (Shrug) Maybe. Since we came here he always avoid that topic. I’m sure he’s still hurt of what happened.

Jun: I heard that Five is back here. I don’t know if he visited them.

Ryu: I don’t think so we know how he feels about it even though he’s brave…

Jun: He’s still scared of his past.

Ryu: Well, I miss Rino too. But I’m sure Lee is more affected of what happened until now.

Jun: Yeah he’s such a cheerful kid, what exactly happened to him?

Ryu: Yah! We can’t change what happened so just concentrate there!

Jun: Actually it’s done.

          I have to call Sae! (He said excitedly)

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            Since Akari gave Sae the authority to choose where they will go Sae decided to go to the amusement park because she haven’t been there for a while even though Akari disagreed he has no choice. The reason why he doesn’t want to go there is because a lot of people might notice him and it will be chaos for both of them but since he has no choice he just use a mask to disguise. They both enjoyed riding in different rides then after doing five rides Sae want to go to eat so they bought some foods and eat it in the bench.

 

Akari: Hmm, this is good not bad. (He took a bite while pushing up a bit of his mask to be able to eat).

Sae: Stop commenting in every food we eat just eat it.

Akari: You cannot take that away from me. Like this one it taste bad the chef should learn how to cook it.

Sae: Huh, it’s just a noodle.

Akari: But still this is a food that people eat. It should always gives pleasure to people.

Sae: …(She did not say anything and just look at him)

Akari: What?

Sae: You said a while it’s hard to find where you really are belong, I guess you already find where you belong. You are meant to do great dishes to make people smile. (Smiling)

Akari: (Smiling) Yeah, I guess you are right…

 

            Their conversation was cut when Sae received a phone call.

 

Sae: Jun? Why?

Jun: I finally finish it. Hm, am I disturbing something? I know you’re with your friend but could you help me go to Akari after?

Sae: (looked at Akari) Sure. No problem.

Jun: Ah, Th-thanks. I’ll wait you here. Take care. (They hanged up)

Sae: He finally finished it. Are you ready?

Akari: Yeah. Where are we going to meet him?

Sae: Actually, I don’t want him to know about this. I’ll go home and change and you just have to wait in your condo. And please act like before.

Akari: Of course.

 

            They ride in his car and Akari decided to give her a ride back to her house.

 

Akari: You know why I’m interested to you? It’s because I find a connection to you not a relationship type more like…like a family.

           Sorry for treating you and your friend in a rude way.

Sae: Maybe Dad is right he’s not a bad person. What if we’re really connected does that mean I finally found someone who is related to me? Yah! What am I thinking there’s no way we’re related. (She said in her head)

Akari: We’re here.

            Nice to meet you. (He extend his hand to shake hands and bow to her)

Sae: I’m happy to meet you too. (Smiling as she shook hands with him)

Akari: Your friend is really lucky to have you.

Sae: Don’t worry you’re my secret friend now.

Akari: Aish! What kind of a friend is that? (Chuckles)

           

            At the side of Sae’s house they did not notice Jun standing there and watching them. His heart pound so fast as he looked at them, he wanted to shout at them but he left frozen in his place with his eyes fixed to them.  The door of the car open and he quickly hid his self and after making sure that they are gone Jun went out from where he is hiding and walks away.

 

Jun: This is strange. I’ve never felt so angry before. (He clenched his hand as he remember what he saw) Since when they become friends?

 

            He walks and walks until he finally stopped in one place. That is in front of the building where Akari’s unit located. He’s about to enter when he heard Sae called.

 

Sae: (Panting) so you will go there without me neh?

Jun: I can go there without you. (He said seriously contrary to his voice over the phone who is really excited)

Sae: W-what happened? (Confuse of his action towards her)

 

            Jun did not answer and just went in and kept quiet until they reach his unit. Sae pressed the doorbell and so Akari opened it.

 

Akari: Hi. So what brought you here? (He acted like he doesn’t know)

Jun: As if she hasn’t told you yet. If you only knew how I wanted to punch your face right now. Tsk.

 

            Sae looked at Akari then to Jun because he’s not answering and just looking at Akari fiercely.

 

Sae: Jun, are you okay?

Akari: Yah! What’s your problem?

Jun: You! You! You!!!

          (He made a smile) Ah nothing. I just want to ask a second chance.

Akari: Why? Why should I give you that?

Jun: Because I deserve it. (He said still looking at him fiercely)

Akari: Okay. Come in. Wait, only him. (He said to Sae)

 

            Jun came in to his unit and sit right away in his sofa. He took out his lunch box and presented his dish to Akari. Akari looked at him and wonder why he’s acting differently then he took a spoonful of his dish. Like before he slowly chewed it then swallowed it.

 

Akari: Why did you choose a dessert this time?
Jun: This is only the third time that I prepared a dessert that’s why I want to challenge myself.

Akari: I’m going to be honest with you…its good.

Jun: (He quickly forgets about his anger towards him) really? It’s good? (with wide eyes)

Akari: (Nod) The sweetness is fine while there’s a mix of sour in it. Good job. I would like to meet you in a competition someday.

Jun: I will do my best.

 

            They both stood up and Jun was about to go when Akari called him.

 

Akari: What do you think about the girl outside?

Jun: (He then faced him with fierce eyes again) Why are you asking this? Since when did you know her?

Akari: That doesn’t matter. You didn’t answer my question.

Jun: She’s a very very close friend of mine.

Akari: Well, if you’re not interested to her…I am.

 

            Jun did not answer and just left. Outside the room Sae was waiting for him and she worriedly ask about the result of the new dish he presented but like before he did not answer her. They took the elevator and the atmosphere is still serious and quiet and this is the first time that Sae sees Jun as a man and not like a boy. When they get to the ground floor it’s only then he spoke to her.

 

Jun: Follow me.

 

            They walk outside the building and went under the tree, the same tree where Sae saw Jun. The sky is already dark; the light post at the side of the tree was the only thing that brightens that place. Jun looked at her and shyly handed a lunch box to her.

 

Jun: I saved this for you. It’s actually much special than I presented to Akari.

Sae: (She took it and quickly tasted it) Wow! It’s really delicious. This is the best!

Jun: What do you think of Akari?

Sae: He’s a good person.

Jun: You think he is?

 

            She quickly taken it back to make it not obvious that she’s now friends with him.

 

Sae: Ah, but… he is also rude most of the time! Hehehe… W-why did you suddenly ask this?

Jun: Nothing…

         Actually there’s a reason! I saw you with him a while ago…I was waiting in your house.

Sae: You were there? What did you see?

Jun: That he is the friend that you’re talking about. You knew him?
Sae: S-something like that but we’re friends like we are.

Jun: Then…what do you think of me?

Sae: W-what? (Blushing) Why are you asking this?!

Jun:…It’s because…it’s because I want to know what do you think of me! Is that bad?

Sae: No, but why do you want to know?

Jun: I want to know if you feel the same way as mine.

 

            He said looking straight in her wide eyes because of he just said.