CHAPTER 15: Confessions

Flavor of Love

 

            The light went on and off for a second then it went on again making the place bright again. Under the light post are two persons looking at each other intensely.

 

Sae: I…I think…

Jun: Haha! You…you don’t have to answer it. We’re friends right? That’s what important.

Sae: Y-yeah you’re right. We’re very close friend.

Jun: It’s already late we should go home now.

Sae: Don’t worry about me I’ll take the taxi.

Jun: Are you sure?

Sae: Yeah.

 

            So they parted ways, Sae took the taxi while Jun walk took a bus to his way home.

 

Jun: Why did I ask her that?

          I should have let her speak. But what if she doesn’t feel the same way as mine? Argh! Why am I so coward when it comes to this kind of feeling? (He pouted his lips and hit his own head as he regret of interrupting Sae a while ago)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ryu: Where have you been?

 

            He said to Lee who just arrived and threw himself at their sofa.

 

Lee: I talked to Nami. (He answered tiredly)

Ryu: You mean you went to see your friends?

Lee: No. just Nami, she saw me at school so we talked.

Ryu: About what?

Lee: About the band…about some things…

Ryu: Things like…Rino?

Lee: …

Ryu: Since we came back here you always avoid this topic and you didn’t visit his grave yet. Lee, you need to face this.

 

            However instead of answering Ryu he ask where Jun is and just after he ask Jun came in who also has a gloomy face and like Lee he sat in their sofa tiredly.

 

Ryu: Yah! What is happening to both of you?! Why both of you have scowl faces? Huh?! (He said as he stood up scolding at his brothers)

          Don’t tell me he rejected your work again?

Jun: (He shook his head) No. He actually said that he wants to meet me someday at the competition.

Ryu: Then what’s with that face?

Jun: I think I love Sae.

Ryu and Lee: Eh? (They look at him and said it in unison)

Jun: Yeah, you… heard me right. I was about to confess when I stopped her.

Ryu: Haay… really? That’s okay. You still have next time.

Lee: What are you saying? You should tell her what your feelings for her, don’t listen to him.

Ryu: He needs some time. Don’t rush on to things, but Lee has a point. I think you should tell her what you feel.

Jun: (Confuse) Huh? I don’t understand.

Ryu: What I’m saying is you should know what her interests then you should ask her out on a date.

Jun: I don’t think it’ll be easy, and especially I don’t know if I’ll be able to do it.

Lee: Just ask her friends what she likes or try to remember things that you know that she likes.

Ryu: You can do it, don’t be coward. (Then he looked at Lee who quickly looked away)

 

~The next day~

 

 

            All day in school Jun didn’t think of anything but on what Sae interests are. He barely listens in his class and during lunch break it’s as if he’s not even there. And after their school he suddenly disappeared, it left Sae thinking of what is happening to him not knowing it’s all about her. While on the other side of the story Lee is still not in his usual self though he smile, laugh and tell stories to his friends but sometimes he just go silent and then will think deeply in one corner. That’s why Ryu decided to ask for help.

 

Mina: Why? What happened to him?

Ryu: You just need to accompany him. I already called grandma to help so you don’t have to do anything but to be there for him.

Mina: What happened?

Ryu: Remember Rino?

Mina: The guy who committed suicide?
Ryu: (Nod) Correct, we all know he’s very close to us but he’s closer to Lee and he thinks that he’s responsible of what happened to him because we left. He actually live in our house for months after Lee discovered him, he trained him to be their guitarist and just a month he was able to play it very well. He is…such a good and talented kid.

Mina: He doesn’t have a family?

Ryu: We actually don’t know much about him, he doesn’t talk much but he always has this bright smile with him like he’s crazy. That kid he’s really mysterious but to us he’s also our brother. (He took a deep)

 Mina: Didn’t you hear the news after his death? Some said that he left a note.

Ryu: Then where is it? That could help Lee…or maybe not…

 

            After a while a car arrived in front of their school gate and then Ryu heard his grandma called from the car window.

 

Grandma: Hey! Ryu!

 

            He looked at her with a smile and brought Mina with him.

 

Grandma: Who is this girl? Huh?! Where’s Ji Eun? I like to see her!

Ryu: Grandma not now. She is Sae friend of Lee.

Grandma: (She looked at her from head to toe then she smiled cheekily) Aah, you must be the girl he’s talking about over the phone. Good.

                  Get in. Ryu call your brother and tell him I’m here.

 

            They get in to the car and Ryu gave a call to Lee when he answered it Grandma quickly took the phone and scolded him to go down and meet her at the front gate. Like a scared grandson in just a minute he was able to reach them when he get in to the car.

 

Ryu: Oops, time for me to go. (He quickly left and the car started to move)

Lee: What is this all about grandma?

Grandma: We’re going to your friend.

Lee: … (He then figured out that friend she’s referring to but he still ask) W-who?

Mina: Rino.

Lee: But grandma, this is not…

Grandma: Not what?! When are you planning to go? When you’re already dead? Are you not gonna visit me when I’m already dead?

Lee: Grandma that’s not it. (Complained)

Grandma: Listen Lee… (She looked at her grandson in a serious way) When your Mom died it’s really hard for us to move on. We even want to revive her after the doctor said that she’s already gone, we can’t accept that she’s dead. Your father blamed the doctors but in the end we just have to give her up. Most of the time humans are selfish we often take the blame for ourselves but the truth is we’re still on denial and can’t accept what is happening. You have to face it Lee this is reality.

 

            After hearing her grandmother, tears roll down from his eyes as he looked outside the window, Mina looked at him with sympathy and like before she hold his hand to show her support. When they finally arrived to the cemetery, Lee bravely get out of the car and still holding the hand of Mina. Every step he takes towards the grave of Rino he remember his smile, laugh, complaint, tears and everything that he about him. He took a deep breath as he look at his grave, he held the hand of Mina tightly and his tears continue to fall down from his eyes.

 

Lee: Rino! Why did you do it huh? You told me you’re going to wait for us. Why did you left without telling us?! That’s why you gave me your guitar? I have a lot of instruments in the house I don’t need yours. I told you that we’re family I’m your brother, how come you did not tell me your problems?

          Do you even hear me? You…silly boy, how are you there? Sorry if I only came now because…it’s hard to accept this…to lose another family. (He looked away wiping all his tears) I hope you’re in good place… Goodbye, Rino.

 

            He bowed down for a while then he put down the flowers that his grandma brought. Lee said his last goodbye to Rino and as they turned around they saw Nami standing behind them. She’s bringing some flowers too and looked happy to see Lee but her smile slowly vanish when she saw Lee and Mina holding hands. But it’s not only Nami who’s there but also the whole Five members except for the new on.  

Drummer: Hey, Lee? Is this your girlfriend? She really looks familiar, right?

Nami: We’re happy to see you here.

Pianist: What? We’re happy? Why did you come here? Are you feeling guilty?

Lee: For…all what I did I am really sorry.

Pianist: (Laugh) what’s the point? (He took the collar of Lee)

Drummer: Hey, stop, just leave him.

Pianist: I hope you’re leaving fine, after what you did to us especially to him! (He spit into Lee shoes to show how disgusting he is)

 

            Lee did not say anything and just turned around to walk away.

 

Pianist: Go! That’s what you’re good at! Running!

 

            After he said that the next thing happened made them all shock even Lee. Mina who’s just quiet listening to him lose her temper and went back to give the pianist a slap.

 

Pianist: What the…?

Mina: I thought all of you are his friends, but how could you say that to him? You know he has nothing to do of what happened to your friend and you all know that he really did not want to leave the band! You just want to blame it in one person of what happened because it’s easier for you to accept that! I thought you’re a family in the band I never knew that you will do this to your brother. Shame on you!

Pianist: Who are you to say that huh?! (He was about to slap her when Lee catches his hand)

Lee: And who are you to hurt her? (He looked at him with furious eyes)

          I already said I’m sorry well it’s already your problem if you’ll not accept that. (Then he threw his hand)

           

            They turned their back on them then they walked away. Not far from them Grandma is watching and after seeing what happened she smiled to herself and took a sigh.

 

Driver: Madam? What made you smile?

Grandma: It’s that…the triplets have been through a lot but I did not know that they are this tough; they are much stronger than I thought. I’m proud of them.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            Sae received a text from Jun to go to the nearest swimming pool complex. She replied to him why but he just answered that she really has to come now. Curious, she quickly put on new clothes and went there. The whole place is dark and only scented candles are the ones who lighten the place. She doesn’t understand what is happening but she suddenly felt nervous as she followed the way of the candles. When Sae finally reach the pool she saw a lot of roses at the pool but they are not just a simple roses because there are letters.

 

Sae: I…L…Y…? (She swallowed when she finally realizes what that means)

         Jun?! Where are you?

 

            Then after a while Jun walk in towards her looking really nervous that he can even feel his heart pumping really fast in his chest. As soon as he reach her place he quickly turned around and handed shyly a box of food and a pillow with a picture of her favorite cartoon character (Marvin the marshal).

 

Jun: T-That is the food you ate when I caught you at the cooking club room. I h-hope you like it. While the pillow… since I’m the one who always leaning on you when you got tired you can just use it and have a- a rest.

Sae: (Blushing) what is this all about?

Jun: This is what I really feel about you. I am really happy to have you as my friend because you’re always there for me and you really understand me, but now I feel more than just a friend because… (He faced her) I love you.

 

            After confessing about what he feels he quickly ran away leaving Sae there but after all what he just said she ran after him and called him before he reached the exit.

 

Sae: Yah! You will just leave me? Remember you invited me here!

 

            Jun stopped after hearing her voice and he faced her.

 

Sae: You’re so unfair, after you talk about your feelings you will just walk away? You didn’t even let me talk.

Jun: I’m sorry, I just want to give you time.

Sae: Time? So you mean…I…will wait…again? (She smiled as her heart started to beat very fast) Jun, I already loved you from the very start and… more each passing day.

Jun: (Smile widely) Am I dreaming now? Or I really heard you right that you loved me too? (He said as he walks towards her)

Sae: You heard me right, you’re not dreaming! (Smiling)

 

            Then she pinched his cheek to prove that he’s not really dreaming as he just looked at her smiling with tears flowing from his eyes because of happiness.

 

            Jun can’t describe what he feels but all he knows is that he is extremely happy after hearing those words to Sae; and for both of them it’s even more than winning a competition. He then offered his hand to her and Sae just gladly gives hers.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            Ryu is on his way back to their house after his busy day. He put his arms in his head as he looked up in the dark sky.

 

Ryu: (Sigh) this is so a busy day, after Lee then helping Jun. Good thing I’m no more dating. Ah, I miss my girls.

 

            When he looked back straight he jumped from his place because he was surprise to see Ji Eun waiting in front of their house. But then he smile to his self since it’s been a while they had a conversation.  He called her as he runs towards her and he saw her smiled back at him, however his smiles quickly lighten when he saw Lui just standing on her side.

 

Ryu: What brought you here? (He said to Lui)

Lui: Ji Eun, Are we on a right place?

Ji Eun: (Nod) Ryu, he wants to see Mimi.

Ryu: Ah, no problem, I’m sure she will be happy to see you Ji Eun but why do you have to bring him with you?

Ji Eun: Because he’s actually the first one who found Mimi. He is the friend that I’m telling you.

Ryu: … Okay. Come in.

 

            So he opened the door and let them in then he went to look for Mimi and he found her in Lee’s room.

 

Ryu: (Whisper) Mimi, don’t be good to the new guy okay? I will not give you your meal if you just let him touch you. (He went out with Mimi in his arms and gave it to Ji Eun).

 

Ryu: I’m afraid she doesn’t know you. She might bite or scratch you in the face. (Sarcastically)

Lui: Well, let’s see.

 

            With full of confidence he took Mimi from Ji Eun and surprisingly Mimi didn’t react and it’s like she really missed Lui.

 

Lui: What are you saying? (He said sarcastically back to Ryu)

Ji Eun: Wow! She does still remember you. Neh Mimi? (Patting the head of Mimi)

Lui: Thank you for taking care of her but from now on I will take care of her.

Ryu: You can’t do that I willingly accepted to take care of her! She’s mine.

Lui: I found her first so she’s mine.

Ryu: Don’t you remember that you left her, and I took care of her while you are gone means that I have all the rights to have her.

Lui: But I’m back now, that’s why I can have her back.

Ryu: Huh, really? When were you when she needs you?

Lui: I did not leave her for good I just left for a while. Besides I already knew her before you came in to our lives!

Ryu: Actually I already met her, way before you met her.

Ji Eun: Yah! Stop, stop! You’re fighting because of Mimi? (They both stopped and look away) Just make a schedule so that both of you could have a quality time with her. (She said as she took Mimi from Lui)

Lui: No need I’ll just go with you when you want to visit Mimi.

Ji Eun: Okay, is that fine with you?

Ryu: Whatever.

 

            Mimi jump out from her arms and went to the kitchen so Ji Eun prepared a meal for Mimi.

 

Lui: Remember this, you may always spend your time with her but she will never be yours.

Ryu: Huh, as if she’s yours.