CHAPTER 4: After School

Flavor of Love

 

 

            Early in the morning in the residence of the triplets came an unexpected invitation. The three of them are at their living room talking to a man with formal attire.

 

Man: Tomorrow night will be the birthday party of your uncle Yuno so we invite you to come but not only that as a gift to them we need one representative from your family to give them a ballroom dance since your father is the only brother of Sir Yuno and also since they own a dancing school your grandma think that it’ll be nice to present a nice dance to them. So who will be the one?

 

Lee: I’m a singer not a dancer.

Jun: Sorry I’m a cook.

Ryu: I don’t have any talent.

         But can I ask a question. We know that she’s the favorite student of grandma is there any chance that she’ll be there?

Man: Who sir?

Ryu: You know the last year’s champion.  

Man: Who is she?

Ryu: The girl! The beautiful ballerina, the one with a sweet smile and…

Lee: He means Jessica.

Man: Oh! Yes. She’s going to perform. Sorry sir for not knowing I’m just new.

Ryu: If that’s so I’ll be the one who’s going to represent our family.

Lee and Jun: What?! (They said in unison)

Man: Thank you sir I know your grandma will be happy. (Then he left)

Lee: What are you thinking?

Jun: Are you sure about this?

Ryu: No… (With a sad face)

         But! I need to do this I need to show her what she loss.

Jun: Are you sure that’s all?

Ryu: Yes what else?

Lee: So where are you going to look for a mentor huh?

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Ryu: That’s what happened that’s why I’m here to ask for your help. (He begged)

Ji Eun: Why me? And what made you so sure that I can dance ballroom?

Ryu: Huh! I asked your admirers I don’t think they will lie they know a lot of things about you.

Ji Eun: Now, that’s creepy.

Ryu: Well, only some of them (he shrugged) and I asked your friend Mina. Com’on please help me. I helped you before with your cat.

Ji Eun: I know but I only know basic ballroom. Why don’t you just hired or ask some of your girls or I’m sure girls in this school will not be able to resist your charms, use it.

Ryu: I don’t want to use my charms for that and besides you’re the only girl friend that I know that could work with me professionally.

Ji Eun: No I’m too busy for dance lessons.

Ryu: You only go to work MWF. I told you your admirers are good.

Ji Eun: I have other things to do. (Walked away)

Ryu: Hey! You told me before that I can ask you if I need anything. Huh? Huh?

Ji Eun: (It made Ji Eun stopped and face him again) Okay, after school.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sae: Wait up! Jun! (She called)

Jun: (He stopped to face her) Hey…

Sae: I’m sorry about yesterday. I shouldn’t have shouted you.

Jun: It’s also my fault don’t worry.

         I have to go now.

Sae: Wait. Is it o-okay i-if (she blush) if I could treat you an ice cream after school?

Jun: (Smile) Cool! That’ll be nice. It’s been a while since I ate an ice cream.

 

            Like a child Jun has the shallowest and childish personality in the triplets. He could easily forgive and forgets whenever someone did something bad to him.

 

 

After School (School Gate)

 

            Jun waited in front of the school gate when someone called his name. He turned into that direction and saw a person wearing a hat and sunglasses, he walked towards that person and wondering who that is then he realized its Sae.

 

Jun: Are you hiding to someone?

Sae: No, it’s because of the hot weather you know. (They started walking)

        Ahh… Jun is it okay if you’ll keep a distance about 1 foot from me?

 

Jun: Kay… (Though confuse Jun moved away a bit from her.)

Sae: Because of this blushing stuff I have to wear these things! I just don’t understand why I blush when he’s smiling or his skin touches mine? That is so stupid! Argh! I won’t be able to communicate with him properly because of this. Well, I know someday I’ll get use with those things and in his cuteness and will not wear these. (She said in her mind)

Jun: Hey, hey Sae!

Sae: What?

Jun: Looks like you’re in a deep thought. Left or right?

Sae: Eh, we’re actually here.

 

            They entered in an ice cream restaurant and you can really see the excitement in the face of Jun like it’s his first time to see an ice cream. Sae ordered the specialty of that restaurant and when it finally came Jun’s eyes were like sparkling.

 

Jun: Wow, it taste good.

Sae: It’s their specialty. I remember when I was young my father always bring me here.

Jun: You mean he don’t bring you here anymore?

Sae: He’s too busy in his office.

Jun: I understand you. Our father is also busy with our shipping business.

 

She looked at him and in her surprise she did not blush so she took off her cap and sunglasses and looked at him while eating ice cream.

 

Sae: Yes!!

 

            Jun turned his head to her and their eyes met and she blushed again so she quickly put back the sunglasses.

 

Sae: I’m not yet fully immune but I’m getting there. (With determine eyes)

 

 

                                                            Ji Eun’s House

                                   

 

Ji Eun: Wait me here.

Ryu: Outside? Are you kidding me?

Ji Eun: Of course, I don’t even know you enough. (She said in a not mean way)

Ryu: Ah, I saved your life isn’t that enough proof that I’m harmless? You even called me Hero.

Ji Eun: It’s Mina who gave that name and you don’t have to point that out.

 

            So Ji Eun allowed him to enter in her house. Her house is neither big nor small but the way it was designed is nice it’s a mix of a traditional and modern house. Ryu walks in looking at the family pictures that is displayed. They looked happy; it was a picture when Ji Eun graduated in her middle school.

 

Ryu: Only child neh?

Ji Eun: Yes. (She said as she gives a tea and cookies to Ryu) Sorry this is the only food that I have.

Ryu: No problem. (He said as he took it)  So are they busy?

Ji Eun: No. They’re gone…

Ryu: …???

Ji Eun: They’re dead

Ryu: Oh, sorry

Ji Eun: Don’t worry it’s been three years.

      I’ll just change my clothes. (She went on her room and Ryu sat on the sofa)

Ryu: I guess we share a common thing. My mom died giving birth to the three of us.

Ji Eun: Sorry too. (She came out wearing a lousy top and jeans)

Ryu: Okay! Let’s start! (Clapping)

Ji Eun: First you have to learn the steps first. 1-2-3 (Counting while showing him the three simple steps)

            Then they went on and on and Ryu followed the first few steps of Sway without a partner. So far so good for him however when they started to do it with partner he started to make mistakes that made his temper shorten.

Ji Eun: Ouch! (Complaining her left foot) You need to slow down…

Ryu: Let’s do it again!

Ji Eun: Can we just sit and rest for a while?

Ryu: No, I need to know those simple steps now! So stand up!

Ji Eun: Hey, why are you angry? Relax, you’ll get it don’t worry.

      Now breathe in…Breathe out…

 

She demonstrated it so Ryu followed her to relax his body and mind for a while then he sat beside her.

 

Ji Eun: I just don’t understand why you volunteer yourself though you know you can’t dance. You should have just let your other relatives do it.

Ryu: Neh, out of all my uncles he’s my favorite that’s why I’m doing this.

Ji Eun: He’s your only uncle.

Ryu: Huh, he’s not my only uncle though he’s the only brother of my father and he’s the only uncle that I knew. I have more other uncles out there! (He explained defensively)

Ji Eun: (Chuckled) Tell me are you doing this for someone eh?

Ryu: Of course not, what made you say that?

Ji Eun: Nothing but I have a feeling.

Ryu: Whatever. (Annoyed)

Ji Eun: Com’on tell me who is it? Maybe I can help.

Ryu: Ah! Enough with the teasing and let’s continue our practice!

Ji Eun: Yes Sir…

 

            So she teaches him again and as they go on his mistakes continue to lessen though sometimes Ji Eun just endure the pain whenever he steps on her feet so that he’ll not feel disappointed with his self.

 

Ji Eun: Good but remember eye contact and smiling is important in dancing okay? Don’t look down. And don’t forget the bow in the beginning and in the end. From the top.

 

            They started by bowing with one another then Ryu put his right hand on her hands and the other one is on her waist while Ji Eun put her other hand in his shoulder.

Ji Eun: Now look at me then smile. (She smile widely showing her teeth)

      Com’on you need to smile and look at me.

 

            He made a fake smile that’s like a dog smile then he looked into her eyes that are also smiling. He gulped because he got distracted by her cute eye smile.

 

Ryu: Stop smiling. (He muttered)

Ji Eun: Smiling is part of this dance so we need to smile.

Ryu: What if I don’t want to huh?

Ji Eun: (Sigh)…Okay do whatever you want.

            To change the topic Ryu walks out to go to her kitchen to drink a glass of water.

 

Ryu: What kind of eyes is that? It’s like it has its own heart and emotions.

Ji Eun: Hey are you done?

Ryu: Let’s continue this tomorrow. Com’on have dinner in our house, I’m sure Jun prepared another delicious food.

Ji Eun: Huh? No, thanks I’m fine.

Ryu: How could you say that? You just told me a while ago that you don’t have a food here. Now let’s go. (He grabbed her hand until they reached outside her house)

 

 

                                                            Triplet’s House

           

            Everyone is quiet as soon as Ryu and Ji Eun came in. Lee and Jun look at both of them shock and at the same time suspicious because this is his first time to bring a friend that is a girl since he broke up with his first love.

 

Ryu: Stop that kind of staring! She’s our classmate, my friend and my dance teacher.

Lee: We’re not even saying anything.

Jun: Come in Ji Eun join us I prepared a nice dinner. (So she sat and joined with them.)

Lee: So what did Ryu told you to make you say yes in teaching him? Because you know if I were you I won’t be that kind to him. (He teased)

Ji Eun: Well I agreed so he’ll stop on begging me.

Ryu: I did not beg you. You said yes because you promised to help me.

Ji Eun: Yes you did beg! But he’s also right I made a promise to help him. Unfortunately.

Ryu: See? (He said sarcastically with his evil-smile)

Jun: Speaking of that dance. Is she also going to be your partner?

Ryu: I…don’t know.

 

            Ji Eun looked at him surprised that’s why after the dinner they both went out to talk about it as if they were some kind of a couple having a conversation while the other two peeked in the windows to watch them.

 

Ji Eun: What do you mean you don’t know? (She asked clueless)

Ryu: I don’t know because I haven’t asked you yet! That’s all.

Ji Eun: So you mean you’re planning to ask me. Sorry Ryu but I can’t.

Ryu: Why? You know how to dance actually you’re good.

Ji Eun: Because my last dance is with my father back when I was at my middle school so that’s a long time ago.

Ryu: That’s all? Well, I’ll make a deal with you. You will be my date tomorrow night and I’ll take care of Mimi.

Ji Eun: For real?

Ryu: Yeah, for real.

Ji Eun: You’re the one who will feed her and provide all she needs?

Ryu: Tsk..Yeah..

Ji Eun: With your money?

Ryu: Just say yes!

Ji Eun: Sure? Pinky swear?

Ryu: Yes, pinky swear. (Then they made a pinky swear)

Ji Eun: (Smiling) Okay deal!