CHAPTER 6: Letting Go

Flavor of Love

 

           

            His hand bleed hard but it seems like he doesn’t feel the pain. Ryu was about to hit the mirror again when he heard something in one of the cubicle.

 

Ryu: Who’s in there?! (He asked angrily)

 

            No one answered so he went to the cubicle where he heard it and punched the door with the same hand. So the person inside was force to come out and in his surprise that person is someone he knows.

 

Ryu: What are you doing here?

Ji Eun: I peed. (She honestly answered) I didn’t mean to listen.

 

He left with no more words but Ji Eun went after him while walking difficulty because of her wounded foot. She followed him until the outside of the restaurant.

 

Ji Eun: Yah! Could you please stop? (She said while walking tiredly after him)

Ryu: Leave me alone. (Still walking)

Ji Eun: I can’t. As your date you should take me home.

 

            Ryu stopped and faced her so that made her also stop.

Ryu: Go there and tell that to my brothers! Is it hard to understand that I want to be alone? (He said angrily)

 

            He turned back but Ji Eun catches his wrist so he stopped.

 

Ji Eun: I can’t. I’m here as a friend.

Ryu: … Whatever… (Then he took back his hand and start walking again)

 

            So she continues to follow him until she felt really tired of going after him. After a while Ryu notice that he’s finally alone then he saw a bus stop and sat there for a while. But then he saw her again still walking difficulty towards him. When she finally reaches the bus stop Ji Eun handed the green apple milk juice that she just bought.

 

Ji Eun: Accept it, it’s your favorite. (Sat beside him)

 

            Arrogantly he accepted and drinks it.

 

Ji Eun: You know…

Ryu: Hey, if you want to be a friend to me right now just shut up.

 

            So she shut and while waiting she saw his bleeding hand so she took it. He’s taking it back but Ji Eun insisted so he just let her and with the use of her handkerchief she covered it so to at least lessen the bleeding.

Ryu: (Looked at it) where did you get this?

Ji Eun: Mmmm..(Pointing at because he told her to shut up)

Ryu: Aish, okay you can talk for a while.

Ji Eun: Ah, At the vintage machine. (Pertaining about the drink)

Ryu: What I mean is this handkerchief because this is mine. I know because it’s from my mom.

Ji Eun: You mean you’re that gentleman who helped me almost two years ago?

Ryu: Aaah…You’re that clumsy girl who tripped in front of me. I told you I’ve seen you before now you awe me an apology.

Ji Eun: I’m not going to apologize because you could have said it in a nice way and not dragging me in one corner and was like kissing me.

Ryu: Huh, you think you’re that attractive for me to do that?

Ji Eun: Well, there must be a reason why you remember the clumsy girl who tripped in front of you almost two years ago.

Ryu: That is because…

 

            He was cut when a familiar black car parked in front of them. When the windows went down it is his grandma who’s inside.

 

Mrs. Lin: Ride in.

Ryu: I’m sorry grandma but I’ll stay here.

Mrs. Lin: I said go inside don’t make my bodyguards do that for you!

 

            With no choice Ryu went inside the car.

 

Mrs. Lin: Hey you too! (To Ji Eun) You want to be dragged?

 

            Ji Eun quickly rides in afraid of Ryu’s grandma who looks mad.

 

Mrs. Lin: You think I did not know what you did to the mirror? You have to stay in my place for a while.

Ryu: But…

Mrs. Lin: Zip your mouth! And you too, you’re going to stay in my house.

Ji Eun: But I need to go to work tomorrow Ma’am.

Mrs. Lin: Huh, you also think that I did not know you pretended to be my grandson’s girlfriend.

Ji Eun: But it’s…

Mrs. Lin: No more buts and zip your mouth too!

 

 

                                                            Grandma’s House

 

 

Mrs. Lin: Go there Ryu the doctor is waiting for you and you follow me.

 

            So Ji Eun followed her in their big living room. The house is not like a castle or something like that but it’s big if seven people are going to live there.

 

Ji Eun: I’m sorry Madam for what we did.

Mrs. Lin: (Smile cheekily) Call me grandma… (Chuckled) I tricked you huh, I’m not really angry.

Ji Eun: (Made a smile) Huh? O-okay?

Mrs. Lin: But I did want you to be here, well to be with Ryu. Because I know it’s been really hard for him since they broke up. They knew each other since childhood, they grew up together and it was in their first year in high school when Ryu confessed his love for Jessica and after a month they got together however after about five or six months Jessica broke up with him.

Ji Eun: Because he loves her so so much?

Mrs. Lin: (Smile) Wow surprisingly you know a lot huh?

Ji Eun: Just heard it. (Confuse of grandma’s actions)

Mrs. Lin: And since then Ryu tried to change for her and asks her another chance and it was in his second year high school when we found out that her parents arranged a wedding for her.

Ji Eun: Oh, is that the reason why the triplets left their school?

Mrs. Lin: No…that is another issue in their family.

Ji Eun: Sorry.

Mrs. Lin: The next thing I heard is that my grandson started to date different woman to forget about his first love.

Ji Eun: Ah, I just want to ask why you asked me to stay here.

Mrs. Lin: I saw you a while ago being so firm after he shouted in your face to leave him and I heard you said that you’re there as a friend for him.

Ji Eun: You were there?

Mrs. Lin: (Chuckled) I know I’m good.

                 But I’m just doing this to my grandson he really need a friend like you right now. You know him when he’s angry he does reckless things. So please grant my wish, don’t worry about your work tomorrow I’ll handle it.

Ji Eun: (Deep sigh) Looks like I don’t have a choice.

Mrs. Lin: (Smile) Oh thank you.

                 Please assist her to the guest room and wash her wound. (To the helper)

 

            Then the helper led Ji Eun on one of the guest room of the house

 

Mrs. Lin: Finally I found the right one for my grandson. Hahaha!

                Hey Ryu!

Ryu: What? (Annoyed) The doctor said its good now.

Mrs. Lin: I don’t care about your hand. Your friend’s foot is wounded because of you. Put some medicine on it!

Ryu: K…(muttered)

 

            So Ryu entered on one of the guest room and saw Ji Eun sitting on the bed.

 

Ryu: Stay where you are. (He sat down on the floor and took Ji Eun’s foot.)

Ji Eun: You don’t have to do this.

Ryu: Of course I don’t want to do this. It’s grandma who told me to. (Then he started to put the medicine in her wounded big toe)

Ji Eun: So…how are you?

Ryu: My hand is fine.

Ji Eun: What I mean is your heart.

Ryu: Like I told you before if you want to be friend then shut up.

Ji Eun: No I have to say this though I know I’m not really good in doing this stuff. (She firmly said)

      You should know that love hurts and especially love don’t lasts. All in this world has beginning and has an end.

Ryu: Looks like you’ve experienced so much about love.

Ji Eun: No. I just know how love works but I haven’t fallen in love.

Ryu: Then good for you. (He said after putting a band aid in her wound)

Ji Eun: It’s because I don’t believe in it. (She muttered)

Ryu: Huh? You? What about your love for your parents, friends, Mimi and your food takoyaki? Don’t you call it love?

Ji Eun: Not in those things what I mean is about two strangers loving each other.

Ryu: Really?

Ji Eun: Do I look like I’m joking?

Ryu: That is ridiculous. So what made you not believe in love?

Ji Eun: (She paused for a while) Hey, this is not about me it’s about you.

       As I was saying it’s only up to you on how to handle it. I don’t know what you feel and I’m not in your situation but if I were you to prove to her that I am really change and love her though it’s hard I am going to let her go.  

 

            There’s a moment of silence between them as Ji Eun waited for a minute to respond but the only thing he said is…

 

Ryu: Whatever.

 

            He stood up then left her. As he opened the door he saw his grandma acting like she’s just passing by.

 

Ryu: Are you listening in our conversation?

Grandma: Me? Of course not. I’m just having my walking exercise here.

Ryu: I’ll just go out.

Grandma: It’s already late. Where are you going?

Ryu: I’m just gonna clear my mind. (Then he left and grandma went inside Ji Eun’s room)

Grandma: (Smiling) Oh my Ji Eun. You are really good! Ryu did not made a mistake of choosing you as his friend.

Ji Eun: What do you mean? He left me the same way he came in.

Grandma: He’s just like that pretending that he don’t care but the truth is when he said that he’s going to clear his mind he’s going to make the right decision.

Ji Eun: But what made you so sure that he does finally gonna move on.

Grandma: That’s what you called the grandma instinct. Trust me I know. Now you have to rest, good night.