CHAPTER 27: By Chance

Flavor of Love

 

           

Ji Eun: What? Why are you looking to us like that? 

Sae: What does Ryu mean that you look good together?  

Ji Eun: Haha! You know he likes to joke! Right, Ryu? (Giving him a look)

Ryu: Huh?

Lee: Ryu, tell us the truth. Are you two dating or already a couple?

Ryu: (Only shrugged)

Ji Eun: Tell them that we’re not!

Ryu: You heard her we’re not.

Mina: Then how did you know their father?  

Ji Eun: Eh? Ah…Ah…Because they showed us the picture of their parents before.

Jun: We didn’t do that.

Mina: Maybe you mean he showed you the picture before.

Ji Eun: No. N-No.

Sae: Aish. You’re really terrible in lying Ji Eun.

Lee: So the two of you are really a couple. (He concluded)

Ji Eun: No! I told you we’re not. (Still defending herself) Ryu, say something.

Ryu: Okay, listen! 

         We’re not a couple…yet. I love her but she doesn’t love me…yet. That’s what it is and that’s the truth!  

 



 

~Next day~

 

            Ryu fetch Ji Eun again this morning but this time he parked his motor at the side of their school making Ji Eun mad.

 

Ji Eun: Hero, what are you thinking huh? Yesterday you broke your promise and now?

Ryu: It’s because you’re not good in lying. Besides sooner or later they will also find out about us. (Referring to the students)    

Ji Eun: Well, from now on don’t fetch me.

             It’s not only because of you but also to me. What will people say if they found out that I let a womanizer like you court me? I have to preserve my image.

Ryu: Aish, really?

Ji Eun: Isn’t you’re the one who taught me that I shouldn’t let others looked down on me?

Ryu: … (Smiling)

Ji Eun: And what’s with that smile huh?

Ryu: So you really thought of what I said neh? I’m so happy. (He said still smiling)

Ji Eun: I already told you that before in the library. You’re really not listening.

Ryu: Well, this time just ignore them because what’s important is that we know the truth that I’m a womanizer no more but if someone hurts you or said something bad to you that’s the time to defend yourself.

Ji Eun: (Sigh) how did I end up with this?    

           

            She said as she watched Ryu leave first.

 



 

[Lunch Break]

 

            Even if they are all eating but their attention is on Ryu and Ji Eun except for Lui who is quiet eating and just ignoring what’s around him. Ji Eun noticed their eyes on them so she asked them.

 

Ji Eun: Why?

Lee: Hm, so…when did it all started?

Ryu: Yah! Didn’t we make it clear that we will not talk about that here in school?

Mina: It’s really interesting you know, especially that we all know Ji Eun doesn’t date.

Sae: Why did you let him Ji Eun, huh?

Ji Eun: Because we have a deal.

Mina: What deal?

Ji Eun: I can’t tell you.

Sae: Ji Eun, everyone knows what kind of a man he is.

Jun: But I can see that Ryu is serious about her.

Ryu: Yes, Jun is right. I’m really serious about her.

Sae: Lui what can you say?

Lui: Ji Eun chose this, so let her… and in the end she will learn her lesson.

 

            Ji Eun was all confuse thinking if letting Ryu is a good decision for her and also for him, so she stood up and excused herself. Lui and Ryu stood up as she stood up both wanting to talk to her but Ji Eun said that she wanted to be alone so they both sat down. She walked still thinking if she has to stop it or not but she already made a deal and for her if she agreed on something she will definitely do it. She stopped in their locker area where it’s really quiet and there she sat on the floor. As she looked up suddenly something caught up her attention. There were three girls standing in front of her with their arms crossed in their chest. They are all seniors like her and Ji Eun remembered them because they are bullies in schools and they also used to bully her when she just got entered in school. It’s only because Lui warned them that’s why they stopped. Just like in the movies the girl who’s in the middle is their leader and the other two are her best friends aka sidekicks. The leader slammed her hands in their lockers while bending forward looking straight at Ji Eun.

 

Leader: Ji Eun right?

Ji Eun: (Nod) W-why?

Leader: We need money.

Ji Eun: Why me? I-I don’t even have a m-money, you know I’m just a wo-working student. (She said nervously)

Leader: Aish! Just give me your money!

 

            She said hitting the locker like a gangster, well, their actually a gangster. Ji Eun stood up bravely and repeated that she don’t have money then she walked away but before she even got far the sidekicks blocked her way cover with a handkerchief and took her in the storage room outside the school. There, they took off the handkerchief as well as her wallet that only have 3000 left.

 

Leader: A pretty girl like you only has this money?

Ji Eun: Yes, and…I worked hard to earn that so please…give it back… I need that money.

 

            She said as she tried to take it back but the two sidekicks are holding her arms tight.

 

Ji Eun: If y-you will not give it back I’ll t-tell this to Lui! (She tried to threaten them)

Leader: Well, where’s your evidence that we took your money?

Ji Eun: Why are you doing this? If you need money then you have to earn it by working hard.

Leader: Do we look like we want to work?

 

            The leader hit her head pissed off of what Ji Eun said.

 

Leader: You asked us why we are doing this, right? Soon, you’ll know the answer. Come on girls.

 

            So the two let go of her and walked away together with their leader.   

 

Ji Eun: Why is this happening to me?

             Huh, but good thing I don’t keep all of my money in my wallet. 

 

             She smirked looking at her right shoe.

 



 

[After School]

 

            After their class Lui asks Ji Eun if they can talk and so they went outside the school with the use of his car, he drives it to the park and they sat on a park bench. Ji Eun agreed since she also wanted to tell him about what happened to her a while ago.

 

Ji Eun: Lui, a while ago…

Lui: Yes about a while ago, I really do mean what I said.

Ji Eun: … I…I know. (Though she didn’t expect to hear that from him)

Lui: But it’s not too late, he’ll just hurt you in the end. You can avoid him or I can help if you want.

Ji Eun: But he’ll not be able to hurt me if I really don’t have feelings for him. What I don’t want is to hurt him because he’s my friend.

Lui: So it’s about him again, didn’t I tell you to think of yourself first? If the people would know about this, what will they say to you?

Ji Eun: I don’t know. I made a deal and I can’t just break it. For me it’s like a promise.

Lui: Ok…if that’s what you want. (Lui stood up)

Ji Eun: I don’t know if it’s wrong or not but I want your understanding the most because you are my best friend.            

            Please don’t be angry.

Lui: I’m not angry. Why should I be angry? You’re old enough to decide what’s best for yourself! So go ahead! I don’t care! 

Ji Eun: If you’re not angry then why are you shouting? (She stood up looking in his eyes) 

Lui: It’s because I can feel that I’m slowly losing you! That’s what hurts me more!

Ji Eun: Lui…No one could ever change what we have. You will always be my best friend, nothing and no one could break or replace that.

 

            Lui looked at her intensely and by just hearing what she just said he feels like his heart is going to explode.

 

Lui: You really don’t understand, do you? 

Ji Eun: W-What is it? (Clueless) 

Lui: Forget it…

Ji Eun: Say it, you’re making me worry.

Lui: I can’t!

       You’re not the best friend that I know anymore! And you know what? I don’t have a friend who’s that desperate! I’m ashamed of you!        

 

            Ji Eun wanted to defend herself just like what Lui said to her a while ago but hearing those words coming from him made her speechless, it was like her own mouth swallowed her tongue. She was on denial trying to process what she just heard.

 

Ji Eun: W-what…did y-you just…said?

Lui: You heard me Ji Eun.

 

            Ji Eun can’t take it anymore so she just looked away as soon as she heard it then she wiped away her tears that are on her eyes. While Lui turned his back from her and leave her there. From his car he glances back at Ji Eun who is walking away slowly from the park. He clenched his hands in the stirring wheel then angrily he started the engine and drove off.

 

            Their next day in school looks the same but since the argument they never talked and even ignored each other during their class and even during lunch. Their friends also noticed that so they tried to fix things between them. However they both told them that they’re not yet ready to talk to each other and will keep their mouth shut of what happened between them. Even though Ryu feel threatened towards Lui seeing Ji Eun like this make him also sad. He tried to ask her about it but Ji Eun didn’t tell him anything, so he just let her. It also burdens her more when the people in school started to know about her and Ryu and false stories started to circulate.

 

            Still devastated of what happened he stopped his car and went to an old friend’s house. His friend was like expecting him already as he prepared a tea in their living room for him because Lui just came by to his house last night. Lui sat down still troubled of what happened.  His friend is also good looking with a stylish brown hair and a good skin.

 

Shin: How’s it?  

Lui: I almost told her about what I truly feel about her.

Shin: Isn’t that good? I already told you to tell her already right?

Lui: But then…I hurt her, I told her that she’s too desperate and I’m ashamed of her.

Shin: Aish! Why did you tell that?

Lui: Because I was really mad of what happened, besides its better that way than to tell her what I truly feel.

Shin: So it’s okay for you to hurt her?

          Tell me again why you don’t want her to know about why feel?

Lui: I already told you that.

Shin: Then tell me again.

Lui: It’s because if she finds out about it she’ll feel awkward around me then she’ll avoid me. I don’t care about that but what I care is that if she did that she’ll lose me, her friend, her brother, her only family. I don’t want to see her in that situation again.

Shin: Do you really care about her or you care MORE of yourself.

Lui: What? If that so, then I should have told her before the truth and pursue her.

Shin: That is because you’re afraid that she will not treat you the way you wanted her to be.

Lui: That’s not true. You’re complicating things.

Shin: Lui, can’t you see? Anger, jealousy, selfishness all of these things are slowly up the love that you’re feeling for her. You said it yourself you were able to hurt your best friend and your first love.

 

            Shin said it impatiently of what Lui is acting. While Lui is just staring at his tea cup listening to him.

 

Lui: then what do you want me to do? Tell her and then lose her?!

Shin: If you can’t tell her what you feel about her then let her go. Don’t be possessive. You can be a friend to her without being so overprotective.

Lui: I…don’t know if I can let…her go…

Shin: Lui, she doesn’t belong to you. It’s hard but you should do it.

 

            Shin patted Lui’s shoulder as he said it.

           

 Shin: You must go now. Isn’t it today is your fight? I’m sure she’ll be there.

 

            Lui and Shin gave each other a friendly hug then Lui drove off to go to his chess fight.

--------------

Thank you for reading! Hope you'll subscribe and leave a comment! God Bless!