CHAPTER 25: Sacrifices

Flavor of Love

 

            Another day has come and just like before Ryu woke up early to fetch Ji Eun, this time she didn’t say anything and just ride in his motor. It’s like she got used to it. In class Ryu showed Ji Eun his notebook with a fun drawing that moves as she flipped the pages just to keep her awake and away from being punish again. It’s a simple drawing of a stick man buying a bouquet of flowers going through different obstacles just to give it to a girl who shyly accepted it. In the end of the paper a note was written for Ji Eun saying “Rooftop after class”.  While During their lunch break Lee and Mina revealed to their friends about what happened to them but they aren’t even surprise knowing the news because they already witness how close Mina and Lee is. However they also pointed out that they just don’t want to label what kind of relationship they have right now because for them th most important thing is as long as they love and happy with each other.

 

           

Ryu: That’s good. You know someday I’ll introduce to you the girl that I love!  

Lee: Wait, you mean you’re courting someone now?

Ryu: Of course! But she’s still a secret.

 

            Ryu quickly glance at Ji Eun and she gave him a look like saying Are you crazy? 

 

Jun: Is she here in school?

Ryu: Ah…Maybe. Haha! Don’t worry you’ll know her soon!

Lee: Are you sure this is serious?

Ryu: Of course, and it’s not Jessica.

 

            And so after their class Ryu quickly went excitedly upstairs bringing a box with him. When he got there Ji Eun is not there yet so he waited for her. On the other hand she was on her way upstairs when Lui called her.

 

Lui: Ji-Eun! Wait up!

Ji Eun: What is it?

Lui: Are you going somewhere?

Ji Eun: Ahm, y-yes. Why?

Lui: I knew it. To Ryu again.

Ji Eun: Why?

Lui: Ah, Mom is sick and she asked me to buy a soup for her I don’t know much about it so can you help me?

Ji Eun: B-but…

Lui: Ji Eun, this is important. You also promise to them that you’re going to visit them right? You know how she loves you so much.

Ji Eun: O-okay. I’ll just call…

 

            Lui didn’t let her call on Ryu, he took her phone and put it on his pocket.

 

Ji Eun: Why did you do that? I need to call on someone.

Lui: Then you’re going to leave again? Just for today don’t get distracted.

 

            Lui’s mother is also like a mother to her. Mrs. Han is very kind and warm hearted, she even once cooked for her in her birthday. That’s why Ji Eun also felt bad because the last time she went to their house she’s really not in herself and also left early.

 

            Ji Eun took Lui in a restaurant which she knows has the best soup she ever tasted. He bought two orders of the soup then they went to their house. Mrs. Han was resting on the room, looking pale and weak but still she let out a smile as soon as she saw Ji Eun there.

 

Ji Eun: How are you Mrs. Han? We brought some soup for you.

Mrs. Han: I’m happy that you visit. Thank you.

                 The doctor said that I’ll be okay.

Ji Eun: I’m really sorry for just visiting now.

Mrs. Han: Don’t worry, I know that you’re very busy. I understand that.   

Ji Eun: Do you need anything?

Mrs. Han: Nothing. I’m already happy seeing you here.

                  Well, I’ll take a rest now.

 

            Mrs. Han closed her eyes and took a rest, so Ji Eun quietly goes out of the room and noticed that it’s already 6:30 in the evening and she’s already late from her work!

 

Ji Eun: No way! I’m totally late from work.

Lui: You want me to give you a ride?

 

            Ji Eun agreed and so Lui used his car and dropped her at the Rainbow café. She got there on time and thanked Lui for his help then he left. Ji Eun went to the dressing room and while putting on her apron suddenly something pop up in her mind.

 

~At the rooftop after class~

 

Ji Eun: Hero.

 

            She quickly searched for her phone but cannot find it until she realizes that Lui took it from her. Without thinking it twice she immediately asked for permission to go. Because she stated that it’s an emergency and also because they don’t have a lot of customers Lia let her go.

Though her money is not enough to pay the taxi Ji Eun called a taxi to go there and just begged the taxi driver to let her leave. Bless her, because the driver was good enough to just accept the money that she only have. Ji Eun looked for a way to get into the school since it’s already close. When she got inside the school she rushed on and go to the roof top, while running into the stairs she thought of herself if he’s still there or could be he already left, no one would wait for a person that long but she shook her head trying to clean her thoughts and said to herself that she just need to check it out. When the door of the roof top finally opens no one was there however she still looked around to check then Ji Eun saw Ryu in one corner sitting, resting his head in his knees. She anxiously went over him and shook him but he didn’t even move a bit. So she shook him again a bit stronger this time then suddenly Ryu lift up his head with a very furious eyes looking at her.

 

Ryu: Ji Eun-yah! Did you know how long I’ve been waiting here?! I’ve never waited for a girl this long! 

Ji Eun: I-Im…really sorry. 

Ryu: I’ve been calling you a thousand times! Why are you not answering?

Ji Eun: My phone is not with me. I’m so sorry.

 

            Ryu took a deep breath and looked away from her then he glance back to Ji Eun whose head is bowed down looking really sorry for what she did.

 

Ryu: Are…you okay? You don’t know how worry I am.

Ji Eun: You shouldn’t have stayed here that long.

Ryu: Aish! It’s because I know that you’re coming. I can feel it.

Ji Eun: I am really sorry.

Ryu: Okay, okay just help me get up.

 

            Ji Eun helped him then he gave her the box that he’s been carrying.

 

Ryu: Open it.

Ji Eun: (She opened it) A watch.

Ryu: Look on to the picture inside.

 

            So she looked on to the design of the watch and when she finally realized who it she burst into laugh is. It was Ryu wearing the mask that she gave to him.

 

Ryu: You’re not supposed to do that after what you did to me.

Ji Eun: (Controlling her laugh) B-but I can’t help it. Your face! (Laughing again)

Ryu: Aish. Well, let me explain. You have my picture and I have your picture here. It’s like a couple watch, wear it.

 

            He showed to her the watch that he’s wearing with the picture of her also with the mask.

 

Ji Eun: Hero, even if this is really funny… (Chuckles)

            I can’t accept this.

Ryu: What? Why?

Ji Eun: I don’t like to accept this kind of things I think these are too…too worthy to give.

Ryu: You’re worthy to have it, besides if you always bring a watch with you, you will not be late again.

Ji Eun: I still can’t. I’m already use to it anyway.

Ryu: Why are you being so hard headed neh? Just take it. It’s a gift from me.

Ji Eun: I said I can’t. (Giving it back)

Ryu: Then take it as your punishment for being super late today.

Ji Eun: Punish me on a painful way not giving me a gift.

Ryu: Well, taking that gift will feel you guilty.

Ji Eun: …

Ryu: What? I’m correct, right?

 

            And so Ji Eun received her very first punishment gift, she wore it and Ryu was really happy to see it. He even took a picture of their hands wearing the watch. Ryu then walked her home however while on their way suddenly he felt a bit strange that someone’s following them. So he kept on looking at the back but there’s nothing in there and so they just kept on walking he somehow felt relief when Ji Eun get home safely. On his way home he still have the same feeling that’s why he even bravely yell out to the person in the dark to show his face however no one’s showed up or even answered him.



 

            The next three days Ryu continue to pursue Ji Eun’s heart by fetching her every morning, he also gives her chocolates, and since most of the time Lui walk her home after work, Ryu just wait for her outside her house hiding and he always bring with him a flower and a dinner that they share. The only thing that changes about him is that after school he always goes straight to another class which he kept secret to Ji Eun. One day since they have no home work and also it’s her off to work Ji Eun got a bit curious and suspicious what is he up to so she followed him quietly. She has an advantage because even though he’s riding on his motor he’s just moving slowly however because of her clumsiness she bumped into a lady who’s really in bad mood and she almost got slapped, good thing Ryu looked back wondering what is it and in his surprise he saw Ji Eun there. He quickly blocked the Ji Eun so he receives the slap.

 

Lady: Oh, s-sorry. Are you okay?

Ryu: I’m fine. (Using his evil-seductive smile) Would you mind if I’ll just take care of her?

Lady: No. But can you just give me your number?

Ryu: I’m sorry but I’m already in love with this girl.

 

            Then he received another slap before the lady walked out but Ryu didn’t mind it and just face Ji Eun suspiciously.

 

Ryu: And why are you following me?

Ji Eun: Why? I’m not. Does it hurt?

Ryu: So you’re also interested to me neh? (Smiling)

Ji Eun: No! I’m just curious that’s all.

Ryu: You’re always curious about things. Go home now; you have no work today right? Take a rest.

Ji Eun: Tsk…Okay. Okay.

 

            Then Ryu received a call from grandma asking him to go to her house together with his brothers and stated that it’s an emergency. Ryu excused himself and took off while Ji Eun took a bus and sat on the last available sit. She sat beside a guy who has a messy clothing and smells like alcohol but she don’t have a choice because her feet is aching after following Ryu. After a while the guy kept on moving his body towards her space, she thought that he wanted to take her place which she didn’t like because she paid for that sit so she sat firm so he won’t be able to take over her place. However suddenly the guy put his hand on her leg and was looking at her maliciously.

 

Ji Eun: You !

 

            She yelled out on him and hit him in the face but the guy didn’t like what she did so he hit her back. The passengers quickly hold him and knocked him down on the floor then one of the passengers gave him a pepper spray in his eyes then he handcuffed him.

 

Man: Are you okay kid? (He asked Ji Eun)

Ji Eun: I’m fine.

 

            The bus stop and the man took the -guy with him then he also asks Ji Eun to go with them. Knowing that he’s a police Ji Eun go with them in the police station where she complained and explained what happened. After filing a complaint to the -guy he was detained in the jail. Meanwhile Ji Eun look on to the guy who saved her from head to toe, He looks like in his early 40’s and for his age he’s still good looking and fit. With a natural tanned skin and a charismatic smile. The guy notices that she’s looking at him so he went over her.

 

Ji Eun: Thank you for saving me. You’re a very good detective.

Man: (Chuckles) No. I’m not a detective, I’m just a passenger. I only bring those things with me for emergency purposes. By the way how’s your?

 

            Pointing at the side of her lips, Ji Eun touched it and reacted to pain.

 

Man: Come on you need ice. 

 

            They went on the nearest convenience store, he brought some ice pack for her and she put it on to the affected part.

 

Ji Eun: I don’t know what with me today, I almost get in trouble a while ago.

Man: You mean with the lady? I was passing by and so what happened.

Ji Eun: Yes.

            Mister, I can see that you really are a very good person.

Man: Well…I’m happy to hear that but…my family doesn’t think that way. But I can’t blame them; they…all have the reason.

Ji Eun: Why? Did you do something terrible?

 

            The man was hesitant to tell her what’s in his heart. But when he looked at her he saw to her his children so he opened up to her.

 

Man: I killed my wife.

 

            Ji Eun was speechless for a bit not expecting that answer from the man who saved her. However she is much surprise rather than fearing him after what she heard.

 

Ji Eun: I can see you’re a change person, that’s why you’re not on jail right now. (Trying to cheer him up)

Man: It’s not what you think it is.

Ji Eun: Then…what do you mean that you killed your wife?

Man: It’s… (He took a deep breath) a matter of life and death.  She was having a critical labor and…and the doctor told me that I have…I have to choose. 

 

            He looked away as he wiped away his tears.

 

Man: I don’t know what to do…but for me I really wanted to save her. I really love her with all my heart and I can’t afford to lose her. However when I was…about to save her life she…she grabbed my arm and told me not to save her…and so…so that’s what I did. (Tears fall down from his eyes) But I don’t regret of choosing them it’s just that it’s really painful.

Ji Eun: I’m…sorry.

Man: That’s why I can’t face my children because of what happened I killed their mother, they don’t know about this.

Ji Eun: I’m sure they’ll understand, you should tell them.

Man: What if they don’t? I can’t afford to lose them too.

Ji Eun: What do you think of your relationship with them now? Is it fine with you?

Man: No, but I can still talk to them and watch them from a distance but if they found out that I killed their mother I’m sure they’re going to hate me forever.

Ji Eun: You save the life of your child I don’t think they will hate you for that.

            I think it’s much difficult knocking down the guy a while ago than telling your children what really happened.

Man: I…don’t know if I could do that.

Ji Eun: My father tells me how he loves me almost every day. One day I asked him why he keeps on doing that then he said that because we don’t know what’s going to happen tomorrow that’s why we need to always show how we love a person. Little did I know that they’re going to leave me that early. But…even though they died I still…know that they really love me.

Man: Both…of them?

Ji Eun: Yes. (She sniffs and wiped her tears away)

            But what I’m trying to say is you should tell them while you have all the time.

Man: I appreciate your concern but I can’t do that now. But I promise that next month that I go back here I’ll definitely tell them.

Ji Eun: Just call them.

Man: I want to tell them in person.

Ji Eun: Are you going somewhere far?

Man: Yeah, something like that. I have a flight and…(he looked at his watch) I only have three hours left.

Ji Eun: Oh, you better go and prepare now.

Man: Thank you again. I can say as a father that your parents are proud of you.

Ji Eun: (Smiling) Thank you for saving me and sharing your problems with a stranger. But you know honestly I think I saw you before.

Man: Really? Well, nice to meet you.

Ji Eun: Okay, God Bless to you and your family. Also don’t forget to pray I’m sure He will be able to help.

Man: Sure. I’ll take your advice.

 

            They bowed down to each other then the Man left first while Ji Eun took the bus and now she’s more careful of whose going to be beside her so she sat beside an old woman. On her way home she can’t forget of the story of the man but what bothers her more is that she’s so sure that she already saw him before, she just can’t remember where. What she did is to remember his story again that could probably give her a clue of when and where she saw him then suddenly she almost jumped from her place when she thought about something that might lead her in the right answer.

            

Ji Eun: (With wide eyes) Could it be?  

 

-------------------

whew, 10 subscribers! So happy! Please keep on reading and supporting my story! Please subscribe and leave a comment! :D Thank you and God Bless!