CHAPTER 10: Aftermath

Flavor of Love

 

 

            Today is the event that all of the students are waiting for, the sports festival! Everyone is prepared they are all wearing their respective uniforms of their teams. Though not all players are already there the games are already started.

 

            In the house of Ji Eun, because she woke up late she’s in a hurry dressing up but before she left she checked her wound first. As she remembered she got it when she was about to help Ryu and to make her stop the guy used the knife. Good thing the slice is not that deep that’s why she was able to manage it. She used gauze to cover it and before she left she took a medicine because of a low grade fever.

 

            Ji Eun’s on her halfway to the school when she saw Lui’s car parked in front of her and saw him inside. He stepped out from his car and went at the back of his car then after a while Ji Eun saw balloons flying with a banner saying “I’m Sorry”.

 

Lui: I shouldn’t have said that. You’re right and I’m wrong. Can you forgive me?

Ji Eun: (Shook her head with a smile) Come here.

Lui: (So he walked closer to her) so what is my punishment?

 

            She pinched his cheeks really hard that it turned into red then she laugh at him.

 

Lui: So am I forgiven?

Ji Eun: You should know that I already forgave you even before you asked for it.

Lui: Why are you so kind neh? Com’on I’ll take you to school. (Smiling)

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            The first game is the swimming competition where Sae is. Mina, Lui and Ji Eun are with the triplets and they are bringing a banner with Sae’s name written on it.

 

Jun: Go Sae!

           

            Jun was the first one to cheer for her that’s why all five of them look at him in unison and so he felt awkward.

 

Jun: What? W-we need to cheer…

Mina: Yeah he’s right! Go Sae!!

Ji Eun: Sae!!!

Lee: What was that huh? I smell something fishy. (He whispered to Jun)

Jun: What do y-you mean?

Lee: (Laugh) you should figure it out for yourself first before I’ll tell you what is it.

 

            The host called all the participants to the pool, there were three contestants and all of them were on their swimming outfit. After the gun shot the swimmers dive in to the pool and started to swim. The first one to finish all three laps will be the winner, Sae is leading the game on the first lap but in her third lap the 2nd year student was able to reach her.

 

Sae: She’s fast…

 

            The 2nd year student was about to win when Sae heard the cheer of her friends that’s why she gave her best and was able to reach her opponent and in the end she won the game. However she doesn’t have the time to rest for so long because she still needs to go to her next game which is the long jump. But before she went to her next game Jun approach her and gave a drink which he made.

 

Jun: I made this for you; I read in the internet that this is good for athletes like you. Don’t worry I put some flavoring so that it won’t taste bad.

Sae: Thanks a lot. (She smiled to him and then she left to prepare)

Lee: Good job Jun. (He teased as he put his arm around his shoulder)

Jun: What’s your problem? Are you stalking me? You should stick with your girl.

Lee: Don’t be piss. I’m here to help. You’re starting to become a man. I’m happy for you.

Jun: Stop it; I don’t even know what you’re saying. (He left)

Lee: Hey, Ryu why so serious neh?

Ryu: And why so happy? (Like Jun he left his brother)

 

            The second game of Sae was about to start so she quickly put on her new outfit for the long jump. Just like in her first game all of her friends are there to cheer for her. But before she showed up she first drink the energy drink that Jun gave to her.

 

Sae: Not bad…Now, I’m ready.

 

            The field is half full and when Sae came out their section and her friends cheered for her. Just like before she have three opponents, Sae is the last one to jump and even if her opponents are also good with all her energy she ran very fast and jumped like a kangaroo! The audience was amazed of what she did that they all stood up when she finally landed her feet in the ground. They all gave her a round of applause and so Sae wins another game. Good thing her next game which is Tae-Kwando will be held after lunch.  So they took their lunch break first and only Ryu is not interested and so Lee and Jun approach Ji Eun to ask her if she knows anything.

 

Lee: Ji Eun, do you know what happened to him? About all his bruises and wound?

Ji Eun: Huh? N-no. I don’t know anything.

Jun: He’s been acting weird since last night.

Lee: We asked him what happened but he’s not telling anything.

Ji Eun: … Ah, maybe he’s in the bad mood. Hm, excuse me I have to go.

 

            She walked out however on her way to cafeteria Ji Eun was blocked by Ryu and so they went out where they could be alone.

 

Ryu: About yesterday, please don’t tell it to anyone.

Ji Eun: Even to your brothers? They are worried about you.

Ryu: I don’t want them to get involve. I have to fix my own problems.

Ji Eun: But don’t you think they are too dangerous for you to handle it by yourself? Ryu, they wanted to kill you.

Ryu: I know but I’m sure he wouldn’t do it. I know them.

Ji Eun: Are you one of them?

Ryu: No. But I was involved in a motorcycle drag racing however his brother named Torou and I caught in an accident which wrecked my motorcycle. Fortunately no one was badly hurt but Torou asked for a rematch however on the day of our rematch it’s also the day when we left this country.

Ji Eun: And so they got angry and hit you last night?

Ryu: They got angry, but I already talked to Torou and we already agreed that we will have our rematch this coming weekend. But my problem is my motorcycle that’s why I wanted to win so that I’ll be able to fix my motor.

Ji Eun: Now, I know why you badly wanted to win the game.

      So how’s your wound?

Ryu: Nah! They hit like a baby and look at me I’m still handsome neh? And if Lee is musical genius and Jun is a cooking champion. Ryu is a street fighter expert, huh!

Ji Eun: Aish. There he goes again.

      Are you going to the game of Sae?

Ryu: Yeah, aren’t you?

Ji Eun: I think I have to rest for a while so I’ll have enough strength later.

Ryu: Yeah that’s right.

            Is that okay? (Referring to her wound)

Ji Eun: It’s nothing…

Ryu: Well, I should go now. (He left)

 

            Ji Eun touched her forehead and felt that she have a slight fever again so she took the last medicine that she have and took a rest.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            The last game of Sae is Tae-kwando and she already got enough rest to fight again. She only has one opponent since only the two of them signed for that category. There are three rounds for the game, in the first round the opponent have a lot of points and she was able to knock down Sae so the first round goes to her opponent. The second round was like a tie but the opponent still has a lot of points than Sae but on the third round with determination Sae was able to knock him down and gets a lot of points however it’s still not enough for her to win that game.

 

Lui: Nice game. (He gave her thumbs up)

Mina: It’s not bad. You gave all your best.

Jun: And besides you’re already tired.

Sae: Thank you guys.

Lee: You’re actually good.

Sae: Where’s Sae?

Ryu: Ah she’s resting for our game later. That is why don’t forget to support us okay?

 

[Field]

 

            The last event of that day is the track and field the whole place is full of students and people cheering for their bets. There are 3 pairs who are going to compete for that game and one of which are Ryu and Ji Eun however Ji Eun is not yet there which made Ryu and her friends nervous.

 

Mina: You think she’s hiding or she ran away?

Lui: No, she’s not like that.

Sae: You think she’s okay?

Lui: I don’t know. I’ll check on her.

 

            As he stood up Ji Eun then appeared in the field.

 

Ryu: Where have you been? Are you okay? You’re sweating.

Ji Eun: I’m okay. I warmed up.

Ryu: Good. Be ready, don’t worry I’m not going to let go of your hand.

Ji Eun: (nod)

 

            After a while the teacher called the students to go on their starting place. Then a gun shot was fired and the contestants made their run. They should finish the three laps to be a winner. The 1st year students were very aggressive that they are on the first place, the second one is the 2nd year and the third one is Ryu and Ji Eun. The first lap is finish and the line-up is still the same but it change after a while.

 

Ryu: Now is the time Ji Eun we were able to warm up ourselves.

Ji Eun: Okay!

 

            Ryu and Ji Eun were able to surpass the second year students and only an inch away to the 1st year students. The crowd went crazy cheering for their bets because of what happened. Until on the 2nd lap the 3rd year students were able to beat the 1st year students but they are still on their back that’s why the fight is really close.

 

Ryu: See? I told you, you can do it. (He said smiling to her.)

 

            On their third lap and also their last the crowd became louder. The 3rd year students are winning behind them are the 1st year students and next are the 2nd year students.

 

Ji Eun: Almost there. (Whispered)

      You can do this Ji Eun…

      Please, not yet…

 

            Ji Eun kept running with her best but her vision is beginning to blur and after a while she suddenly felt a spasm on her feet that made her slow down but that didn’t stop her to run. Until Ji Eun felt the weakness throughout her body that made her almost fell on the ground. Good thing Ryu was there to catch her with his arms. She saw Ryu saying something to her but she can’t clearly hear it until there’s only blackness and silence around her.

 

           

 

[School Clinic]

 

Doctor: For what I assessed it’s because of her wound. When did she have this and how? Does anyone of you know?

 

            No one answered.

 

Doctor: She has tetanus. Though the wound is not that deep her wound got infected. I already injected an antipyretic drug and an antibiotic but she still needs to stay in the hospital. Don’t worry I already called the ambulance.

Lui: Will she be okay?
Doctor: Yes she will. (Then he left)

Sae: Do you know anything?

Lui: No. (However he started thinking of what happened last night and a spot of blood he saw at his car)

Mina: She looks really pale. Oh, Ji Eun. You shouldn’t have joined the track and field.

Jun: The doctor already told us that she’s going to be okay.

Lee: Yeah, so don’t worry.

 

            Outside the school clinic is Ryu who still can’t believe of what happened. It’s not because they didn’t win the game but of what he heard and had happened. Then someone came out from the school clinic and it’s Lui. He stood opposite to where Ryu is and also leaned on the wall.

 

Lui: The doctor said that she’s going to be okay. But for what I remember she maybe got that wound yesterday in the fight.

 

            They gave each other a ferocious looks and there’s a moment of silence between them. Then Ryu composed himself and was about to go when Lui said another thing to him.

 

Lui: Stay away from her.

 

            With no more words Ryu just left.