CHAPTER 8: Best Friend

Flavor of Love

 

            Everybody in school were busy but not because of their exams but for the upcoming Sports Festival 2 days from now. A few of them were Sae, Ryu and Ji Eun.  Sae is part of the swimming, long jump, and Tae-Kwando competition while Ryu and Ji Eun are partners for the track and field. As for Ji Eun she became part of the sports festival because of having so many late while Ryu represent his self to join.

 

[On their way to their lockers]

 

Ji Eun: Mina how are you? I heard what happened.

Mina: Well, doing good. Though it’s hard I can do it besides he’s not worth my time.

Sae: That’s right! He’s not really worth it. Just tell me and I’m gonna hit that guy.

Mina: Thanks Sae. How about you Ji Eun?

Ji Eun: (Quickly gave Mina a look) W-what?

Sae: What do you mean? And yes she’s right; I’ve been contacting you last night.

Ji Eun: Oh. I was sick and went on a hospital for a checkup and I stayed in my house the whole day.

Sae: You’re lying I can see it in your eyes.

Ji Eun: Of course not! Tell her Mina.

Mina: Yeah, sorry Sae I didn’t have the time to tell you.

 

            Sae look on both of them and luckily they were able to convince her.

 

Sae: By the way did you already surrender Mimi in a pet shop? I haven’t seen her these days.

Ji Eun: (Gulped) Hm, no…I found someone who is willing to take care of her.

Sae: Really? That’s good. But don’t you think it’ll be better to take it again?

Ji Eun: Good thing it was not really a lie. Huh, why

Sae: Because…I miss her! Hahaha!

Ji Eun: Are you hiding something?

 

            However when they got to their lockers Ji Eun’s attention was switched to her locker. It was vandalized of different curses on her and looks like it came from the same group who did it to her before. Though it was happened before Ji Eun still don’t get it why they are doing this to her. She knows that they are group of girls because of their handwriting and they always use a dark red colored lipstick in vandalizing her locker. Ji Eun took a tissue and wiped it.

 

Mina: How could they do this to you? I bet they are jealous because you have so many admirers

Sae: If we found out who did this surely they’ll be dead especially that he’s here.

Ji Eun: Who?

Sae: Nothing…nothing…

Mina: What she means is your hero.

Ji Eun: Speaking of him. Did you know that he’s going to be my partner for the track and field?

Mina and Sae: EH??!!

Ji Eun: (Nod) Yeah.

 

 

 

            Ryu was walking at the hallway happily then bunch of girls came waving towards his direction so he waved back with his smile when suddenly the girls just passed him by. So he looked back and saw a guy who is tall, with a stylish brown hair and is wearing glasses. The girls went over that guy and giving him so many presents, a bit disappointed Ryu just left them. While walking a guy walk with him, though he looks familiar Ryu can’t remember when and where he last saw him.

 

Ryu: Hey, what do you want?

Jin: My name is Jin. I’m your classmate last 2 years ago. Don’t you remember?

Ryu: …

Jin: You even borrowed my book and never returned it.

Ryu: So is that you want to say? If you need the book I’ll find it and bring it back to you.

Jin: No. What I want to say is that… Looks like your time is over especially now that he’s here.

Ryu: Who?

Jin: Don’t you remember the son of the principal?

Ryu: I don’t care, besides I’m not competing with him. So what’s your point?

Jin: My point is that guy is so arrogant not like you that’s why I’m at your side and if you want to get rid of him you can count on me.

Ryu: (Laugh) why do I need to do that? And plus I don’t need any help.

 

[Field]

 

Ji Eun: It’s already time, where is that guy?

 

            After a few more minutes Ryu came in running with his jogging pants and shirt.

 

Ryu: Sorry. So…Let’s start?

Ji Eun: Kay.

 

            So they started running with a jog to warm up.

 

Ryu: I heard what happened to your friend. Is she okay?

Ji Eun: No. But she will. Why do you guys do that to girls?

Ryu: Do what? Cheat on them?

Ji Eun: Yes.

Ryu: Don’t ask me, I’m not like that.

Ji Eun: Oh com’on you almost dated all the girls here in school.

Ryu: Like what you just said almost not all. And do you think that I’m cheating on them? Of course not. They’re the ones who’s asking me to go out, I’m just too kind to say yes to whoever ask me. Is that wrong?

Ji Eun: Whatever. You know it’s not right. You should grow up and stop womanizing. (Then she ran faster but Ryu also ran on her side)

Ryu: Yah, actually lately I don’t do anymore dates because I’m focus on winning this game.

Ji Eun: Why?

Ryu: Because of the prize. Didn’t you know? They’re going to give a 10000 each to the winners.

Ji Eun: Woah. Really?

Ryu: Yes, that’s why we need to win. We have to do our best especially you. Do you understand me?

Ji Eun: Yes. That’s a big help on me. But now…let me just rest for a while. (So she stopped and sat on the ground)

Ryu: Okay but not too long! (He shouted as he continue to ran)

 

            Ji Eun was catching her breath so she walked back where her bag is to get her water. When she finally got there she looked for her bottled water but can’t find when suddenly someone handed her a cold one, when she saw who it is her eyes widen with surprise and happiness is.

Ji Eun: Lui! When? How? You?

Lui (Smile) Yes me.

 

            The guy is handsome like some kind of a very cool anime character brought to life. He’s wearing eyeglasses and with a very model like height. He has a stylish brown hair however he is not a friendly type of guy and is quiet, and has a limited smile but not when he’s with his best friend. Lui is a chess genius at the age of 9 he’s already competing and a few weeks ago he flew to a foreign country for a chess competition which he took the first place.

 

Lui: I came back last night. I’m actually disappointed because someone didn’t come to fetch me.

Ji Eun: Ouch, got hit with that sentence. Sorry. I was sick and had a checkup.

Lui: Lie.

Ji Eun: No. I was sick.

Lui: Com’on you can fool them but not me. So where were you?

Ji Eun: Okay, I was with a friend.

Lui: Do I know that friend?

Ji Eun: No. So! Where’s my package?

Lui: Now you’re more excited to see what I brought for you than to see me huh? (He teased)

Ji Eun: Of course! Nah, just joking of course I missed my best friend! (She said as she pinched his cheeks)

Lui: Ouch…(He said as he stepped back) Okay…here it is. (From his bag he took a box of takoyaki.)

Ji Eun: Wow! (Her eyes were like sparkling when she opened the box and quickly tasted one). This is so delicious!

Lui: Now ready for the second one?

Ji Eun: Another one? Yeah. (Nod)

Lui: Here. (Handed her a new phone)

Ji Eun: I-I can’t accept this. This is too much.

Lui: Think that this is just takoyaki.

Ji Eun: I can’t! I can’t even eat that.

Lui: (Chuckled) Your phone is too old you have to change it.

Ji Eun: But it still works, I can text and receive texts, make calls.

Lui: Yes but the battery only lasts for 5 hours or less.

Ji Eun: You know me, I can’t accept that.

Lui: Okay, I’ll make a deal. Let’s do it in paper stone scissors.

Ji Eun: Okay! Deal! 1-2-3!

 

            Lui and Ji Eun both have paper so they do it again and this time Lui have a stone and Ji Eun have a scissor so Lui won the game.

 

Lui: Looks like fate have decided. (Handed the phone)

Ji Eun: …Okay…Thanks...

Lui: So how’s Mimi? Sae told me you already found an owner.

Ji Eun: Yep, he’s willing to take care of her...(Then she whispered) whether he likes it or not.

Lui: What?

Ji Eun: (Shook her head)

 

            They were talking when Ryu came in.

 

Ryu: I told you not too long.

Ji Eun: Sorry, it’s my best…

Ryu: Com’on we need to practice.

Lui: Let her rest for a while.

Ryu: And who are you?

Lui: … (He didn’t answered back and just gave him an eagle eye look like its eating you)

Ji Eun: Ah, Ryu he is Lui my best friend and Lui he is Hero I mean Ryu my friend.

Lui: Ji Eun, you don’t have to join in this sports festival.

Ji Eun: Even if I don’t want to, this is like my punishment for having so many late. Don’t you know about it?

Lui: No. How Dad and Sae could allow this to happen? I thought it’s your choice.

Ryu: You mean she have no any rights to join in this sport?

Lui: Ji Eun, I don’t want you to get hurt.

Ryu: So you’re saying that she can’t do it? What kind of a best friend are you?

Lui: I don’t want her to get hurt because I’m thinking about her. What about you what’s your point of joining?

Ryu: What else of course it’s about the prize. But…I do believe on her that we can win because we’re going to do our best.

Lui: If you’re really a friend you’ll know what’s best for her and not for you.

            Com’on Ji Eun.

 

            Lui grabbed the hand of Ji Eun and was about to go when Ryu grabbed the other hand of Ji Eun. They both looked at each other and Ji Eun can feel the tension between them so to cut it she took both of her hands back.

 

Ji Eun: Ah, why don’t we have a lunch break for a while neh?

 

            Ryu was the first one to left then Ji Eun and Lui went at the cafeteria where their friends are. While Ryu went to his brothers who always stay under the tree since the cafeteria is always full they’ve decided to just stay under the tree where they can have that place all by themselves.

 

Lee: Eh, looks like you have a bad day.

Ryu: It’s because of that Lui! Who is he anyway?

Jun: He’s a senior, a chess champion. Actually he’s a good person. Though he is not that friendly but he gave a very good comment about the food I made before.

Lee: Yeah, as I remember we met one time and he praise our band. You can see he’s serious but he’s kind.

Ryu: Are you two falling for him? (He said annoyed)

Lee: What’s with that attitude? You’re jealous neh? Because he is the best friend of Ji Eun.

Ryu: Aish. I just don’t like his aura.

Lee: You think we didn’t know what happened last night?

Jun: Grandma told us everything she seems so happy.

Ryu: Yeah! And I think you two are with her. I already told you she’s only my friend!

Lee: Brother…Brother… (He said as he put his arms around Ryu’s shoulder) You should start looking for another special someone now.

Ryu: I know…But it won’t be that easy for me… (Then he left)

Jun: (Sigh) you should not force him. You know how he loved Jessica.

 

 

 

            After taking their lunches and rest Ji Eun and Ryu continue their practice while Lui waited for her to finish their practice.

 

Ryu: What’s with your best friend? I didn’t know you have a best friend like that.

Ji Eun: And I didn’t know why you acted like that to him?

Ryu: Me? Oh com’on. (He muttered)

          He just told you that you can’t do it. Aren’t you piss of or something?
Ji Eun: No, because he’s right I can’t do it. It’s not that he don’t believe in me it’s more of a concern besides you also just told him that you only want is the prize that’s why you’ll do anything to get it.

Ryu: Yes, but I can’t do it alone that’s why I believe in…

 

            Suddenly Ji Eun just tripped and stumble on the ground. Ryu quickly went over him to see if she’s okay while Lui stood up from where he is to see it better because they’re already far.

 

Ji Eun: This is what I mean. I’m too clumsy…Ouch…

Ryu: Are you okay?

Ji Eun: It hurts.

Ryu: This is just a scratch. Let me handle it.

 

            Ryu stretches the legs of Ji Eun and took his handkerchief to cover the wound.

 

Ryu: I remember someone, she told me that touch is the best way to heal a wound. (So Ryu put his hands over the handkerchief lightly)

Ji Eun: Do you always get wounded?

Ryu: …Yes. (He whispered)

 

            But the way he said it was like the tone when they’re talking in the room yesterday. She’s about to put her hand on his chest when Lui c walk in towards them so they quickly took away both of their hands. Lui didn’t say anything and just helped Ji Eun to get up.

 

Lui: I’ll take you home okay?

Ji Eun: Yeah.

Lui: Com’on ride in! (He offer his back)

Ji Eun: I’m not injured or anything.

Lui: But you’re wounded and I miss doing this to you. So just let me. (Smiling)

 

            So Ji Eun rides in his back and then they left but she waved to Ryu first and so he waved back.