CHAPTER 16: Vacation part 1

Flavor of Love

 

~Coffee Shop~

 

            Tonight everybody is busy at the coffee shop because of nonstop customers it’s like there’s a coffee craze in town but it’s because of the 30% discount that they are offering. This is because for the past few weeks their gross income is so low. That is why even Lia the owner is also taking their customer’s orders in the counter. While Jae, Tomo and Ji Eun were like flying here and there just to accommodate all of their customers.  It’s already 11:00 pm when they close the coffee shop and all of them are so tired.

 

Tomo: Ah we have a lot of customers today.

Jae: Yeah and it’s really so tiring…

Ji Eun: (Smiling) Yah! It’s really tiring but we did it! I was counting our customers and its triple than before.

Lia: We work so hard today so have a good rest. (Smiling) Thank you for sticking with me!

Tomo: Why are you so dramatic now?

Lia: It’s because I’m really happy that I hired the right persons. Honestly my parents wanted to close the coffee shop if I didn’t reach the quota they gave to me, but… (Tears fall down from her eyes) because of what Ji Eun said I am really happy that we earned a lot today.

Tomo: So that’s the reason why you are so gloomy lately? You should have told us so that we could help you more.

Ji Eun: Ma’am Lia don’t worry you’ll or we’ll be able to save the coffee shop.

Jae: Okay! Okay! Group Hug!!!

 

            So to show their support to Lia they have a group hug then they shouted “Fighting!!!” After that they say their goodbye to each other.

 

Ji Eun: Bye! See you next week! (She waved to them then when she turned around Lui is already there making her jump in her place)

Lui: (Chuckles) you look really scared. So…how’s your day?

Ji Eun: Aish. Don’t do that again. It’s tiring but I’m happy.

Lui: Have you taken your dinner?

Ji Eun: Yeah. Ma’am Lia ordered some foods.

Lui: Okay. I’ll just walk you home.

Ji Eun: You didn’t bring your car?

Lui: Ah...Ah…My dad brought it, because his car is out of gas. (He lied because he only wants to spend more time with Ji Eun)

Ji Eun: Let’s just take a taxi, my feet really hurt.

Lui: What? But…O-okay…

 

            Ji Eun called for a taxi and while on their way to her house because of extreme exhaustion Ji Eun felt really asleep and her head is going back and forth, Lui saw it so he gently took her head and put it on his shoulder. He stared at her delicate face and he brushed his fingers in her cheek then he lightly rested his head into Ji Eun’s.

 

Taxi driver: Mister! Madam! We’re here.

 

            Lui jolted when he heard the taxi driver making Ji Eun awake. Then he paid for it and helped Ji Eun get out of the taxi.

 

Ji Eun: You paid for it? I told you not to do that.

Lui: Okay…okay…pay it to me.

Ji Eun: (She took her purse and gave the money to Lui) Good boy…good boy…(Smiling)

Lui: Happy now? (Smiling back at her) so good night.

Ji Eun: Good night.

 

            Lui left her riding to the same taxi and as soon as the taxi left a car arrived in front of Ji Eun. When the window of the car slide down Ji Eun ducked her head to look and has wide eyes because of the unexpected person inside.

 

Ji Eun: Grandma? (It’s the triplet’s grandma)

Grandma: Oh, it’s so good to hear that. Can I come in to your house?

Ji Eun: Mmm, yeah sure.

 

            They went inside her house and Grandma sat on to their sofa.

 

Grandma: Your house is quite big for you. Do you really want to be independent at young age?

Ji Eun: Ahh…My parents left this house for me…They’re already dead.

Grandma: S-sorry…

Ji Eun: No problem…But grandma what brought you here, it’s already late and how did you know my house?

Grandma: I asked the driver who drive you back in your house with Ryu. I came here to give you this. (Showing a ticket)

Ji Eun: Woah. Is this the promo they are showing in TV? The two day free vacation?

Grandma: Yeah I was having my grocery and bought some cereals and when I got home I opened it and I saw that! (Chuckles) Oh I’m really lucky, but I want you to have it.

 

            The truth is she got that from the president of the food company which is her close friend.

 

Ji Eun: Really?

Grandma: Yeah. I’ve been there before and I think you also need that vacation.

Ji Eun: (She quickly hugged grandma) Thank you very much.

Grandma: Oh…you’re so sweet.

                 By the way why did you come home late? And who’s the guy with you? (She looked at her suspiciously)

Ji Eun: I came home from work and the guy is Lui, my best friend.

Grandma: Does he always give you a ride back home?

Ji Eun: (thinking) Hmm… Lately, yeah. (Smiling)

Grandma: Why? Why are you smiling like that?

Ji Eun: Because you’re like my mother. I just…suddenly miss her.

Grandma: Don’t worry from now on I am your grandma, if you need something you can always ask me, neh?

Ji Eun: (Nod) Thank you again.

Grandma: (Smile cheekily) Just enjoy your vacation there.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

            Ji Eun wake up early in the morning to prepare all of her things for her two day vacation, she is really excited since she’s actually planning to have a break after her busy day yesterday. She did not want to accept the free ticket but she’s shy to refuse the offer and she thinks that she deserves to have that vacation so she accepted it. After packing all her things Ji Eun walked to the nearest bus station and ride in there. It only took her almost half an hour to reach the place and finally she’s there. When she stepped out from the bus Ji Eun smelled a refreshing air and felt the warm weather on that place making her even more excited to tour the place. But she first waited on the station because grandma told her that someone will fetch her to help her go to the hotel she’s going to stay in. However, after 1 hour of waiting there’s still no sign of that person so she decided to call grandma.

 

Ji Eun: Ah hello, grandma. Sorry to bother but can I ask where is the hotel I’m going to stay.

Grandma: What do you mean? He will fetch you there.

Ji Eun: Ahm…maybe he got lost. I…I’ve been here for hour now. But its okay, I’ll just look for the hotel. (She said humbly)

Grandma: Aish. That guy, really!

 

            Then grandma tell her the hotel and the direction. When Ji Eun finally gets all the information she didn’t waste more time and follow all the direction. After a long road finally she’s now in front of her hotel room. She opened the door and wonder if she got the wrong room number but no she’s in the right room; it’s because the television is open. So she walks in slowly and then she heard a door shut in her side and so she looked on that direction. There she saw a newly bathed Ryu wearing only a towel on his bottom. Ji Eun quickly looked away as soon as she saw him.

 

Ryu: (Laughing) Oh you’re here. Your reaction is so funny. Is this your first time to see a great body?

Ji Eun: Just put your clothes on!

Ryu: (Putting a shirt) Okay…okay…you can look now.

Ji Eun: (She looked back) How did you know that I’m coming?

Ryu: What? No. No. I didn’t know! Haha!

Ji Eun: You just told me that I’m finally here.

Ryu: I don’t remember I said that. Why are you here?

Ji Eun: It’s because your grandma gave me her free ticket, how about you?

Ryu: Ah, I won the ticket from the cereal.

Ji Eun: But this is my room. There must be a misunderstanding here.

Ryu: You’re right as far as I know there should only be one winner but we’re two, but if you will complain I’m sure there could only be one winner which means one of us will go home. You want that?

 

            Ryu wants to scare Ji Eun so that she will not think of calling the company to fix the problem.

 

Ji Eun: No. (Looked down)

Ryu: Well! There are two rooms here, you can have that. Don’t tell this to anyone.

 

            Pointing on the room in his left side, their conversation was cut when Ryu received a call and went to his room. As soon as he answered it he quickly put his phone away from his ear because his grandma is shouting over the phone.

 

Grandma: How dare you not fetch her, huh?!!

Ryu: My feet really ache looking for this hotel. (He complaint)

Grandma: Didn’t I tell you the direction?!!

Ryu: Yeah you told me the wrong direction! And are we really going to share the same room?

Grandma: There are two rooms there, don’t you dare do anything to her!

Ryu: You’re the one who picked this room… (He muttered)

Grandma: Remember what you said when I lend you my money, that you will do anything I ask neh?

Ryu: I know…I know…That’s the reason why I’m here.

Grandma: Okay, you know what’s going to happen to your motor if you failed me.

Ryu: I understand. I’ll hang up now, bye grandma…

 

            Then he closed his phone and went outside the room to ask Ji Eun to have breakfast with him but she’s already gone.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Ji Eun: Woah! This place is amazing. (She outstretched her arms then took out her camera) I should take a lot of pictures.

 

            So she went to different places to tour herself and also to take pictures. It’s past lunch time when she got back to the hotel and was very happy because she was able to take so many pictures and she really enjoyed going around. When she arrived there Ryu is sleeping deeply in the sofa so she didn’t disturb him and just went to her room to rest and threw her body in the bed. She took out a box of Takoyaki that she bought a while ago and eat it but then someone knocked in the door.

 

Ji Eun: Come in!

Ryu: (He went in) Come on, we will go to the hot spring.

Ji Eun: No I’m fine. I need to rest and eat.

Ryu: That’s why you have to go there to relax. Besides eating all that up will make you look like a big closet! You have to exercise and hike.

Ji Eun: Where is it?

Ryu: In the mountain but it’s the best hot spring here and it’s not that far. What’s the point of going here if you’ll not go there?! (He insisted)

Ji Eun: I already tour myself so you just go there by yourself.

Ryu: You’ll regret it if you’ll not come; besides it’s my treat.

Ji Eun: Why would you do that? You just want company.

Ryu: Aish. Get up! I have a lot of money right now and I don’t know where to put that’s why I’m taking you! I’ll wait for you downstairs.

 

            Ryu waited for her downstairs at the lobby and after a while Ji Eun already arrived there.

 

Ji Eun: Are we going to ride something?

Ryu: Of course…not. It’s in the mountain and it’s not that far. We need to exercise ourselves.

Ji Eun: Let’s just take a ride, please.

Ryu: There’s no ride going there.

 

            With no more choice Ji Eun followed Ryu and they started walking. The mountain is not that far but when they started to walk in the mountain it’s like its forever. Sometimes Ji Eun think that Ryu really don’t know where the hot spring is and they’re already lost but whenever she ask him where they are he just keep on answering her that they’re almost there.

 

Ji Eun: Please, let’s just stop for a while. My feet already hurt.

Ryu: You can rest there when we get there.

Ji Eun: But it looks like you don’t even know the place.

Ryu: Of course I know where it is! Whenever we have our vacation here we always go to that hot spring. So trust me we’re almost there.

 

            They walked again and the sky is getting dark like it’s going to rain. Then at last Ryu smiled at Ji Eun and told her that the hot spring is behind the trees. So they run over there and when they reached the place both of their jaws dropped of what they saw.

 

Ryu: W-what happened here?

Ji Eun: Looks like…it’s already abandoned building.

Ryu: Th-this is not happening. We went here 2 years ago and this is really popular.

Ji Eun: But it’s already close just accept it. (Sigh) My feet hurt for no cost. Let’s just go back.

 

            Both disappointed they walk back to the hotel but they haven’t yet got far from the building when a strong rain pours down making them go back to the abandoned building to stay there for a while.

 

Ryu: This is such a disaster. I did not expect this. (Still mad of what happened)

Ji Eun: Well at least this building saved us in the rain.

Ryu: We’ll wait for it to stop then we’ll go back to the hotel.

 

            The rain continuously to pour like its forever, the sky is getting darker and the weather is getting colder so with no choice they stayed there even longer. While waiting for it to stop something made them both scared stand up to their place. It’s a wolf who is looking at them angrily.

 

Ryu: W-what is that?!

Ji Eun: That is a wolf that looks really hungry. What should we do?

Ryu: I don’t know. I-it’s coming.

            Ji Eun looked around and found two sticks on the floor.

 

Ji Eun: I have an idea. Get down I need to ride in to your shoulders.

 

            With no more complaint Ryu bent down while looking at the wolf who is taking steps towards them. Ji Eun quickly rides in to his shoulder then asks him to stand up and then she started to sing.

 

Ryu: Why are you singing that?! (He complaint)

Ji Eun: Just sing with me. We need to scare him.

       1-2-3! Pata Pata Pata Pon! Pon Pon Pata Pon! Chaka Chaka Pata Pon! Don, DoDon, DoDon!

             

            She sings it following the rhythm of the song in the game. Ji Eun continued to sing and then Ryu joined with her while swaying lightly. It was kind of effective because the wolf started to walk backwards.

 

Ryu and Ji Eun: Pata Pata Pata Pon! Pon Pon Pata Pon! Chaka Chaka Pata Pon! Don, DoDon, DoDon!

 

            They repeated it 2 times until the wolf ran away and looks very scared. They sat back again on the floor very relieved. Now they are somewhat wet after fighting the wolf.

 

Ji Eun: (Took a deep breath) I thought we’re going to die.

Ryu: Where did you learn that? (Smiling at her)

Ji Eun: It’s from the game in the psp. You don’t know that game?

Ryu: Well, I can say that the game is really effective. Really, I thought we’re going to be his meal.

Ji Eun: Yeah, we really should leave this place.

 

            However their only problem is the strong rain, they tried to call but both of their phones have no signal so they have no choice but to stay there. While waiting Ji Eun looked in the pictures she took a while ago and showed them to Ryu but he is just looking up in the sky.

 

Ji Eun: Hey…Look at the pictures I took a while ago.

Ryu: (Then he looked at her) did you know that the stars are the persons who died. They say that they are there to guide us.

Ji Eun: (She looked up in the sky but find no stars) I…don’t know that.

Ryu: Now you know.

Ji Eun: … (She gave him a look)

 Ryu: Ji Eun…what is it like…what is it like to have a mother? (He asked seriously to her)

Ji Eun: (Sigh) for what I remember of my Mom…She is very strict and organize. As soon as I get home she wants me to do my homework right away. No TV and computer during weekdays. When I did something wrong I will definitely get punish or get spank. But…my Mom…she’s always there when I need her. She always prepares good food for us. I don’t have to tell her what I need or what I want because she already know all about me…(She pause for a while to wipe her tears away) When someone or something hurt me she will definitely be there to protect me. And…she understands and loves me no matter what.

 

            Ryu looked and listens to her with teary eyes as he tried to imagine his mother being alive and with them. After hearing all those words he took a picture from his wallet and showed it to Ji Eun.

 

Ryu: This is the picture of my Mom together with my father. She’s beautiful right?

Ji Eun: (nod) you have the same eyes and nose.

Ryu: We do?

Ji Eun: Yeah. You’re still blessed because you have your father with you.

Ryu: Huh, but he’s like a living dead. At first I don’t understand why he is so distant to us but then grandma honestly told us that he change a lot since our mother died. It’s our fault why his love of his life is now gone that’s why he act so distant to us. I thought I can take it but when he told us to go back here again that’s when I realize that he will never forgive us, he don’t want us there.
Ji Eun: Remember when you told me that touch is the best thing in healing a wound? I hope this would help…

 

            Ji Eun doesn’t know what more to say so she just put her hand in his chest and felt his strong heartbeat. Ryu looked at her sadly with tears in his eyes. They stared on each other’s eyes deeply then Ryu put his hands over hers which is in his chest.

 

            However they suddenly heard something inside the building that made both of them look inside. They stood up to peek at the window but saw nothing.