Chapter 18

The Boy of Flame

Ryeowook stared at the men in front of him. His eyes went round completely in utter shock and he was having a hard time comprehensing everything. He was sure that his hearing sense was still okay. This person right before his eyes definitely said something about him being their brother.

 

How is that even possible?

Is this really happening right now??

 

After so many years, he had always dreamt of having a family of his own. His heart was always envious whenever he saw the creatures of the forest gathering together with their family. He would always felt alone at such a sight and it broke his heart many times. It was what he had always hoped for. He had prayed over and over again for someone to find him and take him away from the forest. To help him remember his past and to rid off all his miseries. He had wished countless times for his family to come and find him.

 

So..why does this has to happen now?

Why ?

Why when he had lost all hope in the world??

When he had come all the way here to mend his broken heart by searching for answers??

To find the truth about his curse and his past.

Why when he had completely given up on the word 'family' ?!

It just wasn't fair.

 

'Um..Wookie...?' Donghae called out the younger as Ryeowook was silent. He couldn't read his thoughts nor his facial expression.

'..is this..too much for you?? Too sudden??' He asked. He was worried that he had frightened the boy. He didn't want him to ran off and never return again. Donghae had never been so happy. He may not understand why his supposedly dead brother was still alive and being right before his eyes but at this point, he didn't care. What mattered to him the most was that Ryeowook was here and a miracle had happened.

'Hey..' He called out softly, touching his hand.

'Are you okay..?'

 

Ryeowook said nothing as he pushed Donghae's hands away. Donghae's eyes flung hurt and disappoinment at the respond but it was only for a brief second. Ryeowook stared at him deeply. It was true that the reason why he came to this village was to learn about his family other than his past. But that does not mean that he would want them in his life. Why should he? They let him rot in that forest all by himself for so many years, so why would he want people like that in his life??

 

'My name is Donghae.' Donghae introduced himself looking straight into his eyes.

'I guess you can't remember us. That's okay. With time I'm sure you will.' He smiled at the latter.

'I'm your third oldest brother. This person next to me is Leeteuk hyung, he's the eldest and that is Heechul hyung, the second one.'

 

'Do you really..can't remember any of us??' Leeteuk as him. He was upset at how Ryeowook obviously looked like he didn't recognised any of them. He wondered so much why the smaller boy had lost his memories. This thought made him frowned. Did his brother suffered so much that he lost everything from his past? How did he lived for all these years?

 

'Wookie..please say something...' Donghae pleaded. He wanted nothing more than to have a conversation with him. He had missed the younger boy so much and had once come to believe of his death. He even went into a depression state and it took him years to fully recovered. But now, everything had changed. Ryeowook was alive. His baby brother was alive. Nothing could ever make him happier.

'Are you hurt badly??' He asked worriedly. Ryeowook had fainted earlier which made him panic like there was no tomorrow so he was wondering if his brother was unjured badly somewhere.

'Is that why you couldn't speak??'

'Wookie...' He grabbed Ryeowook's hand again but was quickly pushed away again.

 

'DON'T TOUCH ME!!' Ryeowook yelled. His eyes piercing into them.

'Don't you dare touch me!!' He grited his teeth.

 

Donghae was having another mental breakdown. First of all, he was unable to accept the fact that Ryeowook didn't remember any of them. Secondly, it broke his heart into gazillion pieces seeing Ryeowook's reaction towards them. He just couldn't handle this. He wanted the old Ryeowook back. He wanted his brother back. It was as if his body was here but his soul wasn't. What happened to him that made him this way ?

 

'Ryeowook. We're sorry if we've scared you.' Leeteuk uttered gently to him. Unlike Donghae, he was much more collective. He understood that they couldn't possibly expect Ryeowook to accept everything just like that. He couldn't even remember them so how was he supposed to accept them as his brothers so suddenly?

'It wasn't our intention.' He smiled sweetly at him.

'We were just so happy to see you again.'

'We couldn't believe our eyes that it's really you. It's just impossible and so unreal.'

'We've missed you so much Wook...'

'We've missed our baby brother so much.'

 

'If you've missed me so much then why did you throw me into the forest??!' Ryeowook yelled. He was angry at them. He was angry at them for leaving him behind and didn't even bother looking for him. He was mad that they didn't save him from living in such a hard life. He had to survive on his own. Feed on his own. Don't they how hard that was for him?

'WHY DIDN'T YOU COME LOOKING FOR ME THEN???!'

'WHY DIDN'T YOU LOOK EVERYWHERE FOR ME??!!!'

'Don't you dare!!' He beamed angrily at them, moving away from them.

'Don't you dare come here and tell me that I'm your brother and that you've missed me when you let me live so painfully for so many years!!!'

'Don't you dare.' His eyes were starting to water and his body was shaking so much he had to leaned back.

'Don't you dare.'

 

Leeteuk's heart sunked at his words. Ryeowook had misunderstood them so much. He was holding a huge grudge against them that he refused to even acknowledge them. His eyes beared so much pain that Leeteuk's heart hurt. He was hurt at seeing Ryeowook turning out this way. He was upset by the fact that he had lived that way all by himself with no one to care for him. He was so young it must had been so painful. He wished he could take all those years of pain away from his baby brother. He wished that he could heal his heart.

 

'Ryeowook.' Leeteuk began as he grabbed Ryeowook's hand. He held it tight so that the latter won't be able to push it away.

'You've misunderstood everything.' He explained carefully.

'It's not that we didn't seacrh for you.'

'It's because that we didn't even know that you were alive.'

'We thought that you were dead.'

 

'Did you see my body lay dead with your eyes then?' Ryeowook asked coldy. He just couldn't accept his reason. How could they possibly thought that he was dead? Ridiculous.

 

'Wookie ah we swear.' Donghae told him.

'We really thought you were dead.'

'Heechul hyung tell him!' He then looked at Heechul who had only been watching.

'You were there with him when it happened!'

 

'I want no part of this.' Heechul responded. He then turned around and left the room.

 

Donghae and Leeteuk were surprised by Heechul's behaviour but didn't bother thinking about it too much. Their focus right now was Ryeowook. Their baby brother who had suddenly popped back into their lives.

 

'Heechul hyung saw you being dragged away by some people.' Donghae explained to Ryeowook with all his might. Hoping that Ryeowook would believe him.

'He tried to help you but he was injured pretty badly and didn't have the strength to.' He continued. He felt his eyes watered as he remembered the past.

'After that he heard a loud scream from you.'

'Then everything went quiet.'

'We never saw you again.'

 

'I just screamed. How could you assumed that I was dead by only a scream?' Ryeowook questioned. He was still unsatisfied by their explanation. His twelve years of suffering wasn't just a small thing. It was a big deal to him. It couldn't just be forgotten like by something like that.

 

'During that time, we were caught in a war Wookie.' Leeteuk blurted out in response.

'The person that was the leader of our enemy told us himself that he had killed you with his own hands.'

'Even The Wise Man which is the wisest man in this whole village said that it was true.'

'He said that he couldn't feel your presence anymore.' He added with a sad face.

'There was no other choice but to believe him and deal with the fact that you were dead.'

'It was also hard on our side Wookie.'

'We couldn't accept the harsh truth that our own brother had passed away.'

'It was hard to cope and we were so young at that time.' He hugged Ryeowook gently. Surprisingly, Ryeowook didn't push him away.

'We love you so much Ryeowook. So much.'

'Hyung doesn't know and will probably never understand what you've been through all by yourself for so many years.'

'And I don't have the answer to why you were separated from us.'

'But believe me Wookie, we would never abandon you like that. Ever.'

'We love and care for you too much to be able to do something like that.'

'Please believe us.' He finished as tears dropped from his eyes.

 

Ryeowook didn't say anything as he looked at the two of them simultenously. His heart softened a little as he saw tears falling down their cheeks.

 

Is trusting them really worth a shot ?

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do drop some comments.

Thanks for reading ;)!