THE SET UP

Happily Ever After?

It was a Saturday night and just a couple of days after Yuri had arrived in Korea. Amber called Yuri and reminded her about their dinner plans.  “It’s just you and me tonight, gēge. Krystal has plans with her parents and everyone else has other commitments. We’re going to meet a friend afterwards for coffee. It’s someone I really want you to meet.”

The cousins met in the dorm lobby and walked down the street to one of Amber’s favorite restaurants. After dinner, they walked to a small café a couple of blocks away. When they reached the café, Yuri turned to Amber. “So Ambro, who’s this friend we’re meeting with?”

“Ailee. She’s also a K-pop artist and is an awesome singer! She’s really cool and is a good friend of mine.”

“I think you mentioned her in one of your e-mails. She’s from the U.S., right? East Coast?”

“Yeah, that’s her,” Amber responded.

The cousins found a table and sat down to wait for Ailee. After about five minutes, Ailee walked in the door. “Llama!” she said as she hugged the younger tomboy.

Amber quickly returned the hug and then introduced Ailee to Yuri. “Ailee, this is my cousin, Yuri. Yuri this is my good friend, Ailee.”

Yuri gently shook Ailee’s hand. “It’s very nice to meet you, Ailee.”

Ailee blushed. “It’s very nice to meet you too,” she said as she checked out Yuri. What a hottie…

The girls ordered their drinks and began to chat. Yuri and Ailee discovered their mutual love for the East Coast since Ailee grew up in New Jersey and Yuri went to medical school in New York.  The two of them hit it off, which Amber was happy to see. She had actually planned for the two of them to meet with the hope that they would take an interest in one another. After Yuri’s last disaster of a relationship, Amber wanted her to date a nice girl. She always thought that Gyuri was a and didn’t understand what Yuri saw in her except for the fact that she was hot.

At the end of the evening, Yuri and Amber walked Ailee outside and hailed a cab for her. “Yuri, I hope you enjoy your stay in Seoul. We should do lunch sometime.” Ailee reached into her purse and pulled out her cell phone. “Let me give you my number.”

After exchanging numbers, Yuri opened the cab door for Ailee who was flattered by the tomboy’s chivalry.

“Llama, I had a good time. Make sure you call me the next time you guys go out,” Ailee said while hugging Amber goodbye.

“Yeah, it was nice hanging out. I’ll call you if we do anything fun,” Amber replied.

Ailee then reached over and gave Yuri a quick hug which took the tomboy by surprise. She then waved goodbye to the Liu cousins and jumped into the waiting cab.

Amber and Yuri walked back to the SM dorm to the studio apartment that Yuri had moved into the day before. After watching TV for a little while, Yuri got up and grabbed a couple of bottles of water from the fridge and tossed one to Amber.

“Your friend Ailee is a pretty girl…and nice too.”

“Nice enough to date?” Amber asked sheepishly. “You guys got along great. I think she kinda likes you after that hug she gave you on the curb…plus, she gave you her number.”

Yuri smirked. “Geez, Amber. Playing matchmaker? Ailee is cute, but I don’t think I’m ready to date yet.”

“It’s been 2 years, Yuri. I’m not telling you to marry the girl, but at least think about taking her out to see what happens,” Amber suggested. “You guys really clicked. Besides, I think a nice girl like Ailee would be good for you. Don’t take this the wrong way, but Gyuri was kind of a…a .”

“She wasn’t a …well, she was for cheating on me, but she wasn’t a real . She was just outspoken," Yuri said defensively.

Amber gave her cousin a puzzled look. “I thought you like laid back girls, but now that I think about it, the girls you’ve dated were all pretty ‘outspoken’. What’s up with that?”

Yuri sat down next to Amber on the couch. “It’s not that I like girls who are es…I like girls who speak their mind…who are up front about things. I can’t stand girls who expect you to know what they’re thinking. I mean I’m a girl too, but I can’t read a girl’s mind anymore than a guy can. I really appreciate a girl who straight up tells me what she’s feeling, good or bad.”

“Nice girls can be that way too,” Amber countered.

“Yeah, I know that. It’s just that the nice girls I’ve dated tended to sugarcoat things,” Yuri replied. “They tell you everything is fine when it’s not. I like a girl who is a little feisty…a girl who challenges me…and then when they reveal their sweet side it’s just so…so awesome.”

“Yeah, I guess,” Amber responded.

“What do you mean you guess? From what you’ve told me about Krystal, she’s the same way. She’s straightforward and doesn’t hide her feelings, right? And when you guys share a sweet moment it just blows your mind because she’s opening up her heart to you…a side she doesn’t show to just anyone.”

Amber sighed. “You’re right, Yuri. I know exactly what you mean. Sorry for trying to set you up tonight.”

“No worries, Ambro. I know you were just trying to help me out. Ailee was nice. I’m just not sure if I want to date her, or anyone else for that matter, but I will keep an open mind. Okay?”

“Okay, gēge, but you’ll tell me if anyone out there peaks your interest, right?” Amber suddenly remembered the exchange of glances her cousin and Jessica had shared in front of her parents’ home a few nights ago. “Wait…is there someone that peaks your interest?”

Yuri hesitated to answer. “Well…hmm…not really. I’ve met so many people at once so it’s hard to say until I get to know them all better. What’s the deal with these girls anyway?”

“Let me break it down for you,” Amber replied. “As far the straight girls go, that would be Hyo Yeon, Soo Young, Yoona, Victoria, Luna, and Sulli. The girls that swing both ways are Sunny and possibly Jessica. Sunny is dating Hyomin who is a member of the girl group T’ara. Oh yeah, Ailee is also bi in case you were wondering.” Amber smiled and winked at Yuri. “I’m not really sure about Seohyun. She’s kind of aual for the most part...hard to say. Taeyeon and Tiffany are a couple, and of course Krystal and I are together. There are other female idols in other companies that date women, but I’ll spare you the details unless you happen to meet one of them.”

“Interesting…so Jessica might possibly be bi, huh? She seems straight to me. Has she ever been with a girl?”

“Not that I know of, but I know she had a huge crush on Tiffany back in their trainee days, but Tiffany fell for Taeyeon. As far as I know, Jessica has never expressed interest in any girl since and has only dated guys,” Amber explained. “Why do you ask? Are you interested in her?”

“No, no. I’m not,” Yuri declared defensively. “I was just curious about the possibly bi thing.”

“Yeah, right,” Amber teased. “It’s okay, Yuri. Jessica is pretty hot. Please don’t tell Krystal I said that, okay? She has lots of admirers, male and female. No one would fault you for being attracted to her.”

“Well, I’m not, okay? She’s kind of a ...and don’t worry, I won’t tell your girlfriend that you think her sister is hot,” Yuri teased back. “Look Ambro, I’ll be sure to let you know if I’m interested in anyone.”

“You’d better. I just want to make sure you don’t date a psycho.” Amber yawned and stood up. “I’m gonna head out...it’s getting late. Don’t forget we’re shooting hoops with the guys tomorrow. I’ll come get you around 8ish and we’ll grab breakfast first.”

After Yuri bid her cousin goodnight, she washed up and changed into her usual sleep wear – a tank top and boxers. As she began to drift off to sleep she could hear Amber’s voice in her head…I just want to make sure you don’t date a psycho…while the image of Jessica with an ice cold glare on her face appeared in her mind.

As soon as Amber arrived back at her dorm room she received a text message. It was from Ailee who she immediately texted back.

Goldfish: Llama, your cousin is hot! Did she say anything about me?

Llama: Silly goldfish. All us Lius are hot! :) Yuri thinks u r pretty.

Goldfish: Really? Cool. What are u guys doing tomorrow?

Llama: Shootin’ hoops with the guys. Come by. We’ll do lunch after.

Goldfish: I’m so there. What time?

Llama: 10 AM. West gym. Probably gonna do Korean BBQ after.

Goldfish: Sounds good. Hey, put in a good word for me with Yuri.

Llama: Interested in my cuz, huh? Will work on it. G’night goldfish.

Goldfish: Yes. VERY interested. Thank u! :) G’night llama!

Amber washed up and threw herself onto her bed. She looked at a picture of Yuri and Ailee on her phone that she took at the café and smiled. She recalled the conversation she and her cousin had earlier and then it suddenly hit her. She replayed in her mind what Yuri had said about Jessica….'she’s kind of a .'

Amber shook her head as she looked at her cousin's face in the picture. Yuri, you’re such a . Jessica is totally your type. I can see that you’re interested in her even if you haven’t realized it yourself. Let’s just see how things go and if you’re really into Jessica, I’m going to have to have a talk with the infamous Ice Princess.

Amber shuddered at the thought of having to face the one girl she feared more than her own girlfriend. She rolled over and turned off her bedside lamp. “Oh Yuri…” she sighed as she closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep.