ALONE

Happily Ever After?

When they arrived back at the ranch, Yuri climbed down off of the horse first and reached up to help Jessica down. As Jessica jumped onto the ground, her left foot landed on a small rock causing her to twist her ankle. “Ow! Ow! Oh my God, it hurts! My ankle, Yuri! My ankle!” she cried out as she grabbed onto the tomboy.

“It’s okay, Jessi. I've got you,” Yuri picked Jessica up and carried her to a nearby chair. “Amber, go get some ice!” Yuri ordered as she gently removed Jessica’s shoe and sock to examine her ankle. “Jessi, can you move you ankle up and down, left and right? Let me feel your pedal pulse. Can you wiggle your toes? Do you feel it when I touch here?”

“Maybe we should call a doctor,” suggested Krystal.

“Uh…actually…Yuri is a doctor,” Amber said quietly as she handed her cousin an ice pack.

“What!?” the surprised Jung sisters asked in unison. “Don’t you work in hospital research?” questioned Krystal.

Yuri was hesitant to admit she was a physician and even asked Amber not to tell anyone. She didn’t want to be treated differently and wanted to be liked her for who she was as a person, not because of her profession. This was especially important when it came to prospective girlfriends. During her last year in medical school, Yuri briefly dated a girl she had met through mutual friends. She quickly ended the relationship after she overheard the girl and her friends at a party talking about whose girlfriend or boyfriend had the most earning potential. Yuri knew that all girls weren’t like that, but she didn’t want to take any chances when it came to dating.

Yuri gently placed the ice pack on Jessica’s ankle. “Well, I do dabble in research...I just didn’t mention the doctor part. That’s doesn’t matter right now...let’s focus on Jessi," replied the tomboy. "I don’t do ankles, but I’ve seen plenty of sprained ones in the ER during my clinical training in med school. Looks like a mild sprain to me, but we should take you to a hospital to have it x-rayed to make sure it’s not fractured since you dance for a living.”

Jessica frowned at Yuri. “I do more than just dance.”

“I know, I know…dance, sing, act, model…you’re a famous idol,” Yuri teased. “You really should have it properly checked out.”

“I’ll drive her to the hospital. There’s one about 20 minutes from here,” said Mr. Goh.

Yuri picked Jessica up and carried her to Mr. Goh’s car. Jessica closed her eyes and rested her head against the tomboy’s shoulder. Even though she was in pain, she was thoroughly enjoying being close to Yuri.

In the emergency room, Jessica was treated and released. Luckily it was just a mild sprain, but the ER doctor ordered that she take it easy and stay off of her foot for the next week. “But we have that concert in Japan. I really love Japan,” Jessica grumbled.

“Sorry, Soo Yeon, doctor’s orders,” said Mr. Goh. “f(x) will be going to KCON again this year so Krystal won’t be around to help you. You’ll definitely need help so you can’t stay at the dorm alone. You’re going to have to stay with your parents.”

“She can’t do that,” Krystal replied. “Our parents are in the U.S. for business and won’t be back until next week.”

Amber chimed in. “I have a great idea! Why doesn’t Jessica stay with Yuri? It’s the ideal solution. You don’t have anything to do while I’m gone, right gēge? Wouldn’t you like to have your own personal doctor to look after you, Jessica?”

Jessica smiled at the thought of being alone with Yuri, but wasn’t sure if the older Liu would be willing to do it. “I don’t want to impose. Yuri might have plans.”

Yuri stood up and cleared . “No, its fine…Jessi can stay with me. It’s just for a week.”

Amber winked at Krystal and Mr. Goh. She looked over at Yuri and Jessica and shook her head. Maybe if you spend some time alone, you es will just admit that you like each other.

 

Two days later, Yuri’s apartment (SM dorm)

Before you know it, Jessica and Yuri were now alone in the small apartment. Girls’ Generation and f(x) had left for their respective destinations the night before. Yuri gave Jessica the bed and took the couch. She cooked for them and occasionally picked up take-out when she didn’t feel like cooking. They watched TV together and even played board games. Sometimes they would just listen to music or talk about nothing in particular.

They really enjoyed each other’s company and grew closer with each passing day, and at times it felt like they were a couple…minus the intimate perks. Despite their growing closeness, they still denied their feelings for one another because Yuri wanted Jessica to confess her feelings, and Jessica still believed that Yuri didn’t want a relationship. They even made sure not to watch any romantic movies or dramas to avoid the subject altogether.

On their fourth day together, Yuri left to pick up some food and came back with a little surprise. After dinner they sat down on the couch to watch TV. She reached behind her back and pulled out a small, neatly wrapped box which she handed to Jessica. “I got you a gift, Jessi. It’s just a little something I thought you might like. When I saw it I had to get it for you.”

Jessica was tickled by Yuri’s thoughtfulness. She opened the box and pulled out a pink t-shirt. She held it up and read the caption on the front. “Damn Right I’m Good in Bed. I Can Sleep For Days.” She squealed and blushed simultaneously. “Oh my God, I love it! Thank you!”

“Amber told me that you loved to sleep, but I didn’t realize how much until now. You really do love to sleep.”

Jessica stood up and hopped over on her good leg to give Yuri a thank you hug. She tripped over one of her crutches and landed directly on top of her temporary roommate. They both laid there motionless, their faces just inches apart, staring into each other’s eyes. Their hearts pounded and their breathing became shallow. Suddenly, Jessica’s cell phone rang which snapped the two of them back to their senses.

Yuri helped Jessica up and went to grab the phone on the kitchen counter. She handed Jessica the phone, grabbed her keys and headed for the door. “Uh…I’m going for a walk, Jessi. I’ll be back in a little while. Call me on my cell if you want anything from the outside world.”

Jessica nodded as Yuri left the apartment. The only thing I want is you, Yuri.

Yuri walked to the park down the street from the dorm and sat on one of the swings. As she traced circles in the sand with her foot, thoughts of Jessica filled her head. It’s getting really hard to be around her without telling her how I feel. It seems like she feels the same way. ! I should just go for it…I need to tell her. Okay, that’s it! I’m going to tell her at the end of the week…I’m going to tell Jessica Jung that I’m in love with her.

Back at the apartment, Jessica immediately answered her phone after seeing it was a call from her dad. Mr. Jung called to let Jessica know that he and Mrs. Jung wouldn’t be coming directly home from their trip and had rented a private beach house out at Daecheon Beach. The Jungs knew that f(x) had some time off after KCON and Girls’ Generation also had some time off after their Japan concert, so they wanted both groups to join them at the house if they didn’t have any other plans. “I already spoke with Soo Jung and she said she and Amber will call everyone else to let them know,” he told Jessica. “Mommy and I will see you soon, Soo Yeon.”

When Yuri returned to the apartment, Jessica told her about the beach house plans and invited her to come along.

“But your parents don’t know me, Jessi. Won’t it be awkward?”

“They know a little bit about you. I told them that I was staying with you this week. Don’t worry, my mom is really sweet…and my dad…well, he’s nice once you get to know him.”

“Like father, like daughter,” Yuri teased.

“Please come…it’ll be fun,” replied Jessica. “Besides, what would they think if you didn’t come with me and let me travel down there alone with my bad ankle?”

Yuri sighed. “I guess I have no choice then. When are we leaving and how are we going to get there?”

“Well, today is Friday and we have the place from Saturday until next Sunday. How about we drive down tomorrow morning and meet my parents? We can take my car if you don’t mind driving. It’s about a 2 hour drive. It’ll be nice to have a couple of quiet days there before everyone else shows up. It’s going to be so much fun!”

 

Saturday morning

After loading their luggage into the trunk, Yuri helped Jessica into the car. They left a little early to compensate for traffic and stopped at a small café about 30 minutes outside of Seoul to have breakfast.

Jessica struggled to get out of the car with her crutches and was getting frustrated. Yuri looked at the café from the parking lot and realized that it would be difficult for Jessica to navigate up the narrow stairway, so she grabbed the crutches and put them back in the car. She then bent down with her back facing Jessica and motioned for her to climb on. “C’mon, Jessi…hop on. It will be easier if I piggyback you up those stairs.”

Jessica was grateful and immediately hopped on the tomboy’s back. “Thanks, Yuri. I’m not so good with those crutches.”

After they were seated and ordered their food, Yuri excused herself to use the restroom. The waitress, who didn’t recognize Jessica in her hat and glasses, smiled as she placed their drinks on the table. “Your boyfriend is so sweet…and handsome too. I saw how he carried you in here from the car. My husband would never do that. Hang onto that one, honey. He’s a keeper.”

Jessica smiled and thanked the waitress. If only you knew how much I wish she was mine to hang onto. Why couldn’t we have met when the time was right, Yuri? I’m so in love with you.

Jessica’s feelings for Yuri had grown stronger during their time alone and she realized that she was in love with her. Sadly, for Jessica, it was a bittersweet realization since she believed that they could never be together.