MY NAME IS SOO YEON

Happily Ever After?

Present day, Los Angeles International Airport

Yuri’s P.O.V.

! I hope I don’t miss my flight! I really hate this ing airport! I never would have agreed to go to Seoul to set up the training module for the hospital if Amber wasn’t living there. I’m just glad that this module thing is pretty straightforward so I’ll have plenty of free time to spend with her. It’s so cool that they gave me 3 months to get everything up and running.

I can’t believe I had to run to the departure area because some old lady refused to take her shoes off at the security check point. It’s bad enough that this is a 12 hour flight. Well, at least they're going to show a bunch of movies which I’m so looking forward to. After residency and then practicing full-time for the past year, I’m glad I’m finally have some time to breathe and catch up on life. Where’s that stupid departure board? Let’s see...Korean Airlines, flight 18 to Seoul…gate 9. What the hell? Delayed 3 hours? Oops! What the…?!?

While looking up at the departure board, Yuri had stepped backwards and accidentally bumped into a girl behind her who was also looking at the board. Yuri immediately apologized.  “Excuse me. I’m really sorry. I didn’t see you there. Are you okay? I didn’t step on your foot, did I?”

“Can you please watch where you're going!?" the girl scolded. "You should be more careful!" Although her tone was rude, she had a very sweet sounding voice.

Yuri looked at the girl who kept her head down and her dark sunglasses on. "Whatever.  I said I was sorry. You probably bumped into me anyway. Why don’t you take off your sunglasses? There’s no frickin’ sun in here,” Yuri said sarcastically. The girl didn't respond and turned her attention back to the departure board.

The tomboy continued to check out the rude girl from head to toe. She was fair-skinned with long brown hair and had a small but well built frame. She wore a gray button down cardigan over a white blouse, tight black jeans, and black flats.

She’s pretty cute, too bad she's a , Yuri thought as she continued to check out the petite beauty. No, no, no. Stop looking at her. Girls are off limits, remember? Hmmm, I wonder what her eyes look like...she has nice lips. Okay, that’s enough, Yuri!

Yuri glanced over at the snack bar and decided that food would be a good distraction from her erse thoughts. She spotted an ice cream shop and decided to grab a cool treat. Hmm, let’s see…what flavor shall I get? The sign above the counter says that they are famous for their chocolate ice cream. I guess I’ll give it a try. Hey, must be my lucky day. I got the last scoop.

At that same moment, Yuri heard someone sigh heavily behind her. She turned to see the girl she had bumped into earlier walking away with a disappointed look on her face. She wondered if the girl had wanted some chocolate ice cream too.  Not being able to resist a pretty girl, Yuri decided to make peace by offering the rude girl her cone.  She ran over toward the girl and called out to her, "Excuse me, miss. Please stop for a minute."

 

Jessica’s P.O.V.

! It’s just not my day. First the flight back to Seoul is delayed and the last scoop of chocolate ice cream, my absolute favorite, was sold to some guy in front of me. If my stupid sister hadn’t texted me earlier, I would’ve been in line ahead of him. Hey, why is he trying to get my attention? Or is that a girl? Why is he…? Wait…why is she running toward me? Oh ! I think I’ve been recognized!

Jessica froze not knowing if she should run or scream. Mr. Goh, who had been watching over her from a distance, stood up and instinctively rushed toward her to protect her. Before he could reach her, Yuri caught up to her.

“I’m sorry if I startled you. Remember me? We bumped into each other earlier at the departure board. My name is Yuri. This is for you," she said as she presented the ice cream to Jessica.

Jessica was shocked and stood motionless as she stared at Yuri through her sunglasses. Mr. Goh hesitated to alert his charge to his presence when he realized the young ‘man’ didn’t appear to be a threat. He sat down, lowered his sunglasses, and continued to keep a close eye on things just in case.

Yuri spoke again. “Go ahead, take it. It’s clean. I promise. I ran straight over from the ice cream place. Just ask the guy behind the counter. I didn’t have time to poison it or spit in it. Ha! Ha! Just kidding! Seriously, please take it. I saw how disappointed you were when I got the last scoop. Please think of it as an additional apology for bumping into you earlier and for the sarcastic comment about your sunglasses. I’m usually not like that. It’s just been a really long day.”

As she looked Yuri up and down, Jessica was surprised to see that the stranger holding the ice cream cone in front of her was a girl, actually a tomboy, and a cute tomboy at that. As much as she wanted the ice cream, she was wary of the intentions of the person offering her the treat. "No, thank you. I can't accept food from strangers.”

"Seriously? I told you my name so I'm technically not a stranger. Tell me your name so we'll be even and then you can just take the ice cream."

Jessica hesitated at first and then replied, “Umm…my name is Jess-...I mean...its Soo Yeon."

“Soo Yon? Soo Yee-on? Soo Yeon. Hi Soo Yeon, it’s nice to meet you,” Yuri said politely.

Jessica tilted her head, removed her dark glasses and gently tucked her hair behind her left ear. She looked the tomboy directly in the eyes and smiled. “It’s nice to meet you too, Yuri. I'm sorry, but I still can't accept the ice cream. Thanks anyway. By the way, I apologize if I came across as rude when we bumped into each other earlier…it’s been a really long day for me too.”

When Yuri’s eyes met Jessica’s, she suddenly felt her heart pound in her chest and almost dropped the ice cream. "O-okay then, s-sorry to bother you. Have a nice flight. B-bye.” With that Yuri took off running to some empty seats at the end of the terminal. She put on her headphones and started bopping to the music while eating the ice cream.

Mr. Goh noticed how flustered Yuri had become after seeing Jessica’s face and chuckled to himself. Poor guy…he didn’t stand a chance. I’ve watched Soo Yeon grow from a young girl to a beautiful woman. Those fanboys are always blown away by her beauty.

 

Jessica’s P.O.V.

Okay, so she wasn’t a crazy fangirl after all. She didn’t seem to recognize me. Maybe she doesn’t follow Kpop. That was really sweet of her to offer me her ice cream. You know, there's something about her that seems familiar that I just can’t place. She seems like a really nice person, a bit dorky, but kind hearted. Look at her, bopping like a fool in her own little world. It’s kind of endearing though. She’s actually really cute. Something about her reminds me of my sister’s girlfriend except she doesn’t look like a llama or a dinosaur.

Jessica stared absentmindedly at Yuri as she ate the ice cream. The tomboy had short black hair with long bangs that covered part of her face, and the top of her head was covered by a dark gray slouchy beanie. She wore a long-sleeve gray polo, black skinny jeans and black Converse high tops. Suddenly, the overhead speaker blared out which startled Jessica and snapped her back into reality.

“Attention passengers! Korean Airlines flight 18 to Seoul
will be boarding at gate 9 in approximately one hour!”

 

Yuri’s P.O.V.

I’m such an idiot. I don’t know why I kept rambling on and on. Did I really just tell her to have a nice flight? What am I, a frickin’ flight attendant? When she took off her glasses and smiled at me I thought I was gonna in my pants! She's gorgeous! With my luck she’s probably straight and even if she wasn’t, I don’t think she would be interested in someone like me. She’s way out of my league. Besides, I promised myself that I would stay single after that horrible break up with Gyuri. Soo Yeon sure is y though. Okay, that’s enough, Yuri. Get your mind out of the gutter.