BACK TO KOREA

Happily Ever After?

The car ride back to the hotel was deathly silent. Mr. Goh noticed the tension between the two friends. “So, Soo Yeon and Tiffany, will we be staying in L.A. for the remainder of the week?”

“No,” Jessica quickly answered. “I want to leave on the next flight back to Korea. Can you please take care of that for me, Uncle Goh?”

Mr. Goh was disappointed that Jessica was ready to return to Korea so quickly especially since he was aware that there was still a chance for her and Yuri. “Are you sure, Soo Yeon? Isn’t there some unfinished business you need to take care of before you leave?”

“Yes, I’m sure. There’s nothing for me here. I should have never come in the first place. Please book my flight, uncle, I want to go home.”

Mr. Goh threw a confused look at Tiffany who just shrugged her shoulders. “How about you, Tiffany…do you want me to get you on the same flight?”

“No, thank you, uncle…I’ll be staying the rest of the week with my family. I’ll call my brother and have him pick me up in the morning.”

It was a little before 5 PM when they arrived at the hotel. Jessica went straight to her room to pack while Tiffany lingered in the lobby to talk with Mr. Goh and explain the plan to him. “You need to let me know what time the flight is so I can make sure Yuri has enough time to get the ring and find Jessica,” she told him.

Tiffany sat down in the lobby and made a few calls before Mr. Goh approached her with some information. “The next flight is tomorrow at 11 AM. That should give Yuri enough time to take care of things,” he told her.  Tiffany smiled at Mr. Goh. “Thank you, uncle.”

Tiffany’s phone suddenly beeped. It was a text from Yuri.

Yuri: Couldn’t get the ring. Store closes early on Sunday.

Tiffany: Ok. Need to get it ASAP tomorrow morning. Jessi leaving back to Korea. Korean Airlines, flight 18, 11AM. No time to meet at hotel. U will need to go to the airport. Buy a ticket now.

Yuri: Ok. Store opens at 8AM.Will get the ring then head straight to airport. Thank u! U r a good friend. :)

Tiffany: U r welcome. Have always rooted for u & Jessi!

That night, Yuri had a hard time sleeping. She tossed and turned thinking about Jessica...about marrying Jessica. She still had so many questions that she needed answers for. Tiffany said to trust her. I do trust her…I just want to know what happened. Yuri decided to give Tiffany a call.

“Hi Tiffany…its Yuri. Sorry to call so late. I really need to talk. Asking Jessi to marry me is a big step. I need some answers...”

“It’s okay. Hold on, Yuri. Let me go out on the balcony for more privacy........ Okay, what do you want to know?”

“Everything.”

Tiffany proceeded to explain everything to Yuri who silently listened on the other end of the line.

“Jessi liked you from the moment she met you, but she was afraid to admit it. She thought you were a player and wanted to beat you at your own game, but that’s only because she was jealous when she saw you with Ailee and wanted to get back at you. She has never been a player…she can’t be. She isn’t someone that can easily hide her emotions or pretend to feel something she doesn’t.”

Tiffany continued.

“She’s in love with you, Yuri. If you had read her texts and letters, or even talked to her you would’ve known that she was never with Taecyeon. She did it to push you away.”

“Why would she want to push me away? Was it something I did?”

"All you did was make her fall in love with you. Jessi thought you were unhappy hiding your relationship and felt like she was holding you back. Plus, she was fearful of what would happen to those closest to her if the relationship was discovered by the public. SM’s management was really pressuring her to hide it and it just got to her. She also believed that it would only be a matter of time before you ended things after you got back to L.A.”

“Why didn’t she just tell me what was happening instead of leaving me like that?”

“She was scared, Yuri. She thought she was doing what was best for everyone. Then that night at the club, after seeing you...after kissing you, Jessi realized that she wanted and needed to be with you. She wanted to get back together...she was going to tell you everything, but you walked out...and then you left Korea."

"I was so confused that night, Tiffany. I was blinded by the pain...by the betrayal. I just needed to leave."

"I know it wasn't easy for you, Yuri. We were all blindsided by what Jessi did. It doesn’t matter now…what matters now is getting you two back together. Jessi has been miserable since you left. It’s even affecting her work and her health. We’re all worried about her.”

“I didn’t realize it was that bad. My poor, baby. Don’t worry, Tiffany. I’m going to tell Jessi that I love her and that I want to spend my life with her. I just hope she says yes.

“She will. She loves you. She just needs to hear it from you face to face. Good luck tomorrow.”

“Thanks, Tiffany. I owe you big time.”

Yuri felt better after talking with Tiffany. She pulled out the pictures Gyuri had found that morning and looked through them, picking out her favorite one...Jessica sticking her tongue out at the camera.

 I’m so happy that didn’t cheat on me, babe…that you didn’t betray our love. Why didn’t you just talk to me and tell me what was bothering you? We could’ve dealt with it together. I'm so sorry that you suffered through all of it alone. You don’t know how much I regret cutting you out of my life. If I had only read one text, one letter or just talked to you…we would have been together sooner. We both made stupid mistakes in this relationship, but that’s not going to happen anymore. I love you and I’m going to do whatever it takes to get you back. I’m going to make you mine again...

 

The next morning: Melrose Avenue

Yuri woke up early and got to the jewelry store with Henry at 6:30 AM. She had convinced him to drive her in return for taking care of Gyuri so she wouldn’t have to waste time parking at the airport. She also got him to agree to cover for her at the hospital in case she had to get on the flight to find Jessica.

As they waited outside for the store to open, Yuri grew more and more frustrated when 8 o’clock came and went and the store was still closed. She repeatedly called the store, but there was no answer. “What the ! It’s already 8:30! Why the hell aren’t they open yet!?”

At 9 AM an elderly gentleman walked up to the storefront, opened the door, went inside and locked the door behind him. Yuri jumped out of the car and tapped on the glass window as she gestured to the man to let her in the store. The old man opened the door and smiled at her.

“Good morning, young lady. How can I help you?”

“Good morning, sir. You have a ring in your shop that I need to buy. My friend put down a deposit yesterday. It’s under Liu, Dr. Yuri Liu.”

“I’m sorry, we’re doing inventory this morning,” the old man apologized. “Didn’t you see the sign? Come back after lunch and we can help you then.”

At this point Yuri was furious, but managed to maintain her composure. It’s not the old man’s fault. Keep your cool, Liu. “What sign, sir?”

The old man pointed to a half-size sheet of paper with tiny print partially hidden behind the closed sign. “Oh, I guess it must have fallen behind there when we closed yesterday. Sorry. Please come back later.”

Yuri dropped to her knees, tears welling in her eyes. “Please sir, I beg of you. I need to buy that ring. The love of my life is leaving on a flight back to Korea in less than 2 hours and I need to get to the airport so I can propose. If I don’t, I may lose her forever.”

“Why didn’t you tell me that in the first place?” The old man opened the door and let Yuri in. “Now let’s get that ring for you.”

 

405 Freeway, Los Angeles

“, Henry! It’s almost 10 o’clock! She’s going to board the plane soon! Please hurry!” Yuri pleaded.

“I’m trying, buddy. You know L.A. traffic.  We’ll never make it if we stay on the 405. I’m going to try Sepulveda Boulevard.”

“Just do whatever you have to, Henry. Get me there on time and in one piece, please. I can’t let Jessi get on that plane!”

 

Los Angeles International Airport

Henry pulled up to the Korean Airlines terminal. Before the car even came to a complete stop, Yuri was already out the door and running to the check-in counter. Henry called out, “Hey Liu! You forgot your bag!”

It was 10:37 when Yuri reached the automated check-in kiosk. Luckily, she had her ticket and passport in her back pocket and had no bags so it was a quick and easy process. She got through the security check-point without any hitches and hauled to gate 9, praying that Jessica hadn’t boarded the plane yet.

It was 10:40 when Yuri reached the gate. She looked at the door to the jetway and saw that it was closed. Oh no! Oh ! She ran over to a Korean Airlines agent at the gate counter who was putting away the collected boarding passes. “Excuse me, miss,” Yuri panted as she tried to catch her breath. “I need to get on that plane!”

“I’m sorry, but we can’t let you on,” replied the agent.

“Seriously!? But the plane is sitting right there! There’s someone on the plane I really need to see! It’s important!” said Yuri as she held up a small red box.

“Oh, you poor thing…I wish I could let you on the plane, but I can’t. The main cabin doors are already closed and secured…FAA regulations. I’m sure your loved one will understand.”

“Thank you,” replied a defeated Yuri.

Yuri couldn't believe she missed catching Jessica by just minutes. The love of her life was on a flight back to Korea...she was gone. Yuri was devastated. She sat down and sobbed quietly with her face buried in her hands. Maybe we just weren’t meant to be, Jessi.