FIRST DATE

Happily Ever After?

It was 6:28 PM. Jessica paced back and forth in the living room watching the clock. “What’s wrong, Sica?” asked Sunny. Hyo Yeon chuckled. “She’s got a date with Yuri and she’s nervous.” Jessica glared at Hyo Yeon. “Shut up! I am not nervous!”

Suddenly there was a knock at the door. Jessica looked at Sunny. “Please answer the door. If it's Yuri, tell her I’ll be right out.” Jessica ran down the hall to the bathroom to check her make-up.

Sunny opened the door and greeted the casually, but smartly dressed tomboy. “Hi Yuri! You look cute. Come in. Sica will be right out.”

Yuri walked in with a big nervous grin on her face. “Thanks. Hi Sunny. Hi Hyo Yeon.”

Hyo Yeon patted the empty spot next to her on the couch. “Come, sit down.” Yuri took a seat next to Hyo Yeon while Sunny sat down next to her. Yuri found herself sitting between the two girls.

“So, where are taking Sica tonight? Some place romantic?” Sunny asked why she and Hyo Yeon wiggled their eyebrows.

“Yah, Sunkyu! Hyo Yeon! Leave her alone!” Jessica yelled. Hyo Yeon threw a pillow at Jessica who dodged it. “You’re such a buzz kill, Sica.” Jessica threw an icy stare back at her dorm mate. She grabbed her purse and opened the door. "C’mon Yuri, let’s go.”

As they walked down the hall, Jessica turned to Yuri. “Sorry about that.”

“It’s alright. They were just playing around. By the way, you look very pretty tonight.”

Jessica’s cheeks turned a bright shade of pink. “Thank you. You look very nice too. So, where are we going?”

“It’s a surprise,” Yuri said as she held Jessica’s hand and led her to the elevator.

Jessica felt a twinge in her chest and flutter in her stomach when Yuri linked their fingers together. When they got in the elevator, Yuri hit the button for the top floor.  Jessica was confused. “Aren’t we supposed to go to the lobby?”

“Nope,” Yuri said and smiled. “You’ll see.”

When they reached the top floor, Yuri led Jessica to a small flight of stairs. At the top of the stairs was a door. As they reached the top of the stairs, Yuri turned to Jessica. “Jessi, close your eyes, okay?” Jessica quickly crossed her arms and glared at the tomboy. “Trust me, Jessica. I promise I’m not going to do anything stupid. Just close your eyes.”

Jessica sighed. “Okay, but if you try anything, I’m going to kick you.” She reluctantly closed her eyes and held on tightly to Yuri’s hand.

Yuri turned the knob and carefully led her date through the door. “You can open your eyes now. Ta-dah!”

Jessica opened her eyes and found herself on the rooftop of the building. The view of Seoul at night was breathtaking. She looked around and saw a small gazebo tent decorated with white lights. Under the tent was an elegantly set table with a beautiful candle centerpiece. Jessica was in awe. “Oh my God! How…how did you do this? It’s so beautiful.”

“I had a little help from some friends.”

 

Flashback: Yesterday evening, dinner with Donghae

Yuri fidgeted with her dinner, twirling her mashed potatoes with her fork, lost in her thoughts. Donghae noticed that his new buddy wasn’t eating. “Yuri what’s wrong? Hung over?”

“Nah, I’m fine, Hae. I just have a lot on my mind.”

“Something I can help you with?” Donghae asked as he put his fork down and gave Yuri his full attention.

“I don’t know…maybe.” Yuri scratched the back of her head and sighed. “Well, I have a date tomorrow night and I really want to make it special. I have some ideas, but I’m not sure if I can pull it off. I don’t want to bother Amber since her schedule is pretty packed, and I don’t really know anyone here.”

Donghae smiled. “Date, huh? It’s with Sica, right?

“Uh, yeah...sorry, man. I didn’t want to say who it was since you guys dated in the past. How did you know?”

“At the club last night…it was pretty obvious that something was going on between you two. Plus, you kept talking about her the whole time we were out. It’s cool, Yuri. Sica and I dated a long time ago. We’re friends now.”

“Thanks, Hae. So you think you can help me out?”

“Yeah, no problem…I can just call up my Super Junior bros. There are more than enough of us so I’m sure we can get whatever you need. Besides, you’re Amber’s cousin and we all love Amber like a sister…and I like you. You’re cool. Just tell me what you need.”

Yuri high-fived her dinner companion. “You’re the best, Hae! Amber always said you were an awesome guy. Thanks, man!” She then asked the waitress for a piece of paper and a pen. “This is what I need.”

…end of flashback

 

Yuri led Jessica over to the table and pulled out the chair for her. “I really wanted our first date to be special. You like it?”

“Like it? I absolutely love it! Oh my God, Yuri! I can’t believe you did this all for me.”

“Well, believe it. It’s all for you, Jessi,” Yuri said as she walked over to a small box behind the tent and pulled out a bottle of red wine which happened to be Jessica’s favorite. She opened it and poured a glass for each of them. She then leaned toward Jessica and gently touched their glasses together.

“A toast to our first date, Jessi…may it be the first of many.” She looks so beautiful in this light. Damn! Keep it together, Liu. Don’t give in.

“I hope so,” Jessica whispered before taking a sip of her wine. Oh my God, she’s so ing cute!

“Okay, time to eat. I hope you’re hungry.” Yuri stood up and grabbed a container from a small cooler. She served a beautiful arugula salad to start the meal. After they finished their salads, Yuri then took out some containers from an insulated bag and prepared plates for her and Jessica. On the plates were beef tenderloin medallions in a mushroom sauce, grilled asparagus, and roasted baby potatoes.

After a few bites, Jessica looked over at Yuri. “Wow! This is so delicious! Did you have this catered?”

“Actually, I made dinner for us.”

Jessica was pleasantly surprised. “What? You cook? I’m impressed.” Cute, charming, and you can cook. Oh my God, I think I just came in my pants.

“Yeah, my mom and Grandma Liu taught me. They said that I had to learn in order to be a good wife,” Yuri laughed. “Little did they know that someday I would be looking for a good wife.”

“Really? So, this future wife…what if she doesn’t know how to cook?” Jessica asked curiously before taking another bite.

“That wouldn’t be a deal breaker. If we love each other, that’s all we need. Besides, I would just do the cooking and fulfill my wifely duties. I can’t let mom and grandma down.”

Yuri and Jessica continued to chat through dinner, their conversation free flowing and unrestrained. They shared their likes and dislikes. They talked about their favorite movies, books and music, and about their families. They didn’t realize that they had been talking for almost 3 hours.

The two then walked hand in hand to the small rooftop lookout to take in the city lights. Yuri turned to the long-haired beauty and said, “Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous…and the city lights are pretty too.” Jessica blushed at the comment and twirled her hair with her free hand.

Yuri then reached into her pocket and hit the start button on the mini remote control for the iPod dock hidden nearby.

*Right click on link below and open in new tab to hear song.*
 
The Way You Look Tonight
(by Tony Bennett)
 

When the music started, Jessica smiled sweetly at her date. Could you be any more romantic?

Yuri reached out and took her date by the hand. “Dance with me, Jessi. Please?” Jessica nodded in agreement as Yuri moved closer and placed her right hand on Jessica’s waist and extended her left hand to lead. Jessica grabbed the tomboy’s left hand and placed it on her hip so that both of her hands were now resting on her waist. She then wrapped her arms around Yuri's neck and pulled her in close so that she could rest her head on Yuri’s shoulder.

Yuri loosely wrapped her arms around Jessica’s lower back and let out a nervous sigh which made Jessica smile. “Is…is this okay, Jessi?”

“Yes, it’s fine,” Jessica replied. “There’s no need to be so formal, you know. I think we’re past that now.”

Yuri managed to control her heart rate by slowly breathing in and out, and was relieved that she wasn’t sweating profusely or stepping on her date’s toes. Dancing with Jessica at the club that night came easily due to Yuri's increased blood alcohol level, but tonight was different. She was completely sober and they were alone.

Jessica was also feeling nervous about being so close to Yuri in such a romantic setting. She rested her head on Yuri’s shoulder to keep her from looking into her eyes and seeing just how smitten she was with the tomboy, and also to lessen the temptation to kiss her.

As the song played on, it wasn’t long before they were completely lost in each other’s embrace, their feet moving as light as air, their souls content with the closeness they shared. As the song neared its end, Yuri felt a little bold. She stepped back from their embrace, twirled Jessica around and pulled her into a hug to finish the dance.

As they stepped back from one another, Yuri looked Jessica directly in the eyes. “Jessi, I have something to tell you. I don’t know how to say this…I’m really sorry…but…there’s no dessert.”

“Pabo!” Jessica shrieked and flicked Yuri on the forehead. “You scared me. I thought you were going to tell me some bad news.” Thank God! I thought she was going to tell me she didn’t want to see me anymore.

Yuri rubbed her forehead. “Oww! I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you. I purposely didn’t make any dessert so I could see you again and take you out for some.”

“Oh,” Jessica said apologetically and shrugged her shoulders. “I didn’t know what you were doing. I’m sorry. Does your head hurt?”

“It’s okay, I deserved it."

“Maybe this will make it feel better.” Jessica reached up and cupped Yuri’s face and pulled it closer to hers.

Yuri’s heart began to pound rapidly in her chest. Oh my God! Oh my God! Is she going to kiss me!? Please God, let her kiss me with those cotton candy lips! Wait, no! Don’t kiss me! If Jessi kisses me then I have to end this game. It’s too soon. We just started playing...

As Jessica brought Yuri’s face closer to hers, she felt that familiar flutter in her stomach and found herself eyeing Yuri’s lips. She intended to kiss the now red spot on her forehead, but found herself drawn to the tomboy’s mouth instead. Her lips look so plump and moist. Should I kiss her? One little kiss won’t hurt. No! I can’t! I can’t be the one to initiate the kiss…she’ll think she’s pulled me into her trap. Maybe she’ll kiss me first. No, no…that’s no good either. I’m not ready for this to end.

Jessica moved in closer, her lips just inches from Yuri’s. She got so close that the tip of her nose grazed the tomboy’s nose. They both closed their eyes in anticipation of feeling the other’s lips as their hearts raced.

When she realized that Yuri wasn’t going to make a move, Jessica felt both relieved and disappointed. She lifted her head up at the very last second and pressed her lips softly against Yuri’s forehead, giving her a gentle kiss. “Does that feel better now?”

“Y-yeah…f-feels great,” Yuri stuttered. Damn! That was close.

Nervous tension now filled the air. Yuri and Jessica both looked at their watches and realized how late it was. They decided to call it a night since Jessica had an early schedule the next day. Yuri walked Jessica back to her place and the two shared a brief moment of awkward silence in the doorway of Jessica’s dorm suite, both not wanting the night to end.

Jessica reached over and adjusted Yuri’s collar which made the tomboy blush. “Yuri, I had a really nice time tonight.” God, you’re so cute. I really wish you I could kiss you right now. That would be the perfect way to end this wonderful night.

Yuri stepped closer and gently hugged Jessica. She lingered a bit as she inhaled her scent. ! She smells so good. I think I’m gonna die. As she broke the hug, she whispered in Jessica’s ear. “I had a nice time too, Jessi.”

Feeling Yuri’s hot breath made Jessica’s heart race. She felt a throbbing sensation between her legs and felt weak in the knees. She inconspicuously leaned back against the door frame for support so Yuri wouldn’t notice. Before she closed the door, she called out. “Let’s go out for dessert tomorrow night, okay? My treat.”

Yuri smiled. “Sounds good…it’s a date. Call me tomorrow with the details. Let me give you my number.”

“I have it. Got it from Krystal...she stole it for me from Amber’s phone.” Jessica winked. “I’ll call you. Goodnight.”

“You’re a sneaky one, Jung. Goodnight. Sweet dreams.”