MEETING THE PARENTS

Happily Ever After?

After Yuri parked in front of the beach house, she got out of the car and unloaded the bags while Jessica was fast asleep in the front seat. As Yuri quietly closed the car’s trunk, she was greeted by Mrs. Jung.

“Hello. You must be Yuri. I’m Soo Yeon’s mom.”

Yuri politely bowed. “Hello, Mrs. Jung. It’s very nice to meet you. Yes, I’m Yuri…Yuri Liu…Amber’s cousin.”

“Where’s Soo Yeon? You didn’t forget to bring her, did you?” Mrs. Jung asked jokingly. “…and please, call me Aunty Jung.”

Yuri was relieved to see that Jessica’s mom was pleasant and warm. “She’s safe and sound in the car, sleeping of course. I was just about to wake her up and carry her into the house.”

“Carry her? Isn’t her ankle healing okay?”

“Actually, it’s healing very well. She should be able to get back to her usual activities in a couple of days,” replied Yuri. “It’s just that she’s not that great with the crutches and there are a few stairs leading up to the house. I just don’t want her to hurt herself.”

Mrs. Jung smiled sweetly at Yuri. So, another Liu tomboy…I thought she would be more girly.  I can see why Soo Yeon likes her though. She’s sweet and thoughtful… and very cute.

Jessica actually never told her mom that she liked Yuri, but when Jessica had told her parents that she was going to stay with Yuri after she hurt her ankle, Mrs. Jung could hear the excitement and admiration in her daughter’s voice. It was then that she suspected Jessica wanted to be more than just friends with Yuri. She had also heard a similar tone in Krystal’s voice when she talked about Amber before they became a couple.

After just two attempts, Yuri was able to wake Jessica up which surprised Mrs. Jung. Jinja! It usually takes me five tries to wake Soo Yeon.

With some help from Yuri, Jessica stepped out of the car holding her crutches and hopped on her good leg over to her mother and hugged her. “Hi mommy! Where’s daddy?”

“He’s on the phone. He’ll be right out. How was the drive?  How is your ankle, Soo Yeon?”

“The drive was good, mom. I slept most of the way,” replied Jessica. “My ankle is good…it’s healing well. Yuri does almost everything for me, so I’ve been able to rest.  I see that you two have already met,” Jessica said excitedly. As Jessica broke the hug with her mom and attempted to balance on her crutches, she lost her footing and began to fall back. Yuri immediately ran over and caught her and swept her up in her arms which made Jessica blush.

“See aunty…I told you she’s not good with crutches. I’ll be back for the bags,” Yuri said as she carried Jessica into the house and gently put her down on the couch.

As Yuri turned to go back outside to retrieve the bags, she bumped into Mr. Jung and fell onto the floor. “Excuse me, sir. I’m so sorry. I didn’t see you there.”

Mr. Jung walked around Yuri and over to the couch. “Hi, my beautiful Soo Yeon! How is my little girl doing?” he asked as he smiled at his oldest daughter and reached out to give her a hug.

“Daddy! Don’t be rude! Help her up,” Jessica scolded. “I’m sorry, Yuri,” she said apologetically.

Yuri stood up and dusted herself off. “It’s okay, Jessi. It was my fault.” She then bowed to Jessica’s father. “I’m sorry, sir. I should have watched more carefully where I was going. It’s very nice to meet you, Mr. Jung. Thank you for inviting me to the beach house.”

Mr. Jung gave Yuri the once-over before speaking. “What did you say your name was again?”

Jessica spoke up. “Daddy, be nice. This is my friend Yuri Liu. She’s the one that’s been taking care of me. She’s Amber’s cousin from Los Angeles.”

“Oh yes, that’s right…Liu. Taiwanese, right?” asked Mr. Jung.

“Y-yes sir,” Yuri replied nervously.

“Nice to meet you, Liu. Thank you for taking care of our daughter. Her mother and I are very grateful that you helped our Soo Yeon.” Mr. Jung then reached out to shake Yuri’s hand.

“You’re welcome, sir,” Yuri  said as she firmly shook Mr. Jung’s hand. “I don’t mind taking care of Jessi…I mean Jessica. Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to get our bags and bring them inside.”

Mr. Jung turned his attention back to Jessica. “Liu seems nice. Anyway, your sister and Amber will be here on Monday, and some of your friends are coming Thursday and will stay through the weekend. Your mother and I are leaving Friday back to Seoul, so I trust that you and your friends won’t destroy the house over the weekend.”

Jessica reassured her father. “Don’t worry, daddy. We’re not a bunch of little kids anymore.”

Mr. Jung gave his daughter a stern look. “That’s what I’m afraid of…”

The beach house had five bedrooms, two downstairs and three upstairs. The Jungs had settled in the upstairs master suite, while Yuri and Jessica each took one of the downstairs bedrooms. This worked out great since Jessica wouldn’t have to worry about the stairs, and Yuri could get up early to go running without waking up everyone in the house…and also be close to Jessica if she needed help.

After getting settled and unpacking her things, Yuri joined Jessica and her parents in the kitchen. Jessica sat at the kitchen table with her father as he read the newspaper, while Yuri helped Mrs. Jung prepare lunch.

During lunch, Mr. Jung received a call on his cell phone. He excused himself and took the call out on the patio. When he returned, he did not look happy.

“What’s wrong, yeobo?” asked Mrs. Jung.

“Ed Choi and his son can’t make it to play golf tomorrow and we’re trying to find people to cover so we don’t lose our tee time. Dr. Yang was able to get his daughter to join us, but we’re still one person short. Looks like we might have to cancel,” replied Mr. Jung. “I was really looking forward to it.”

Yuri cleared . “Ahem…excuse me, Mr. Jung…I play golf, sir.”

Mr. Jung’s eyes widened as he sat up and looked at Yuri. “You play, Liu? Really? Do you want to join us tomorrow?”

“Sure. I’d be glad to help you out. It’ll be fun. I just need some clubs.”

“Excellent, Liu…I mean Yuri. It’s Yuri, right? We can rent some clubs for you. Tee time is 655 AM. Can you get up that early? Or do you sleep like the dead like Soo Yeon?” Mr. Jung teased.

Jessica smacked her dad’s arm and pouted. “Daddy!”

“Yeobo, cut it out. Don’t embarrass Soo Yeon if front of Yuri,” scolded Mrs. Jung.

Yuri smiled at the Jungs’ antics. “I can get up early, sir. It’s fine.”

“Good, it’s settled then,” Mr. Jung said and smiled. “Let me call Yang and give him the good news. Wait until you meet his daughter…she’s beautiful. You’re single, right Yuri?”

The room suddenly became quiet and the mood very tense. Yuri noticed that it even felt a few degrees cooler. She shifted her eyes to Mrs. Jung and Jessica who were both glaring at Mr. Jung. So that’s where she gets that from. Like mother, like daughter.