TOO LATE

Happily Ever After?

Los Angeles, CA

After she left Korea and spent two solitary weeks in Narita, Yuri returned to L.A. and immediately threw herself back into her work. She often worked extra shifts at the hospital just to keep busy…to distract herself from her thoughts about Jessica.

As hard as it was to do, she managed to ignore all of her ex-lover's attempts to contact her. She had since spoken to Amber, but always cut their calls short as soon as the topic of Jessica came up. Yuri spent her time either working or hanging out with family and friends on her days off. For the past six months her life was about taking care of herself and moving forward.

It was early Sunday morning when Jessica, Tiffany and Mr. Goh arrived in Los Angeles. Mr. Goh rented a car and drove the girls to their hotel. After they checked in and freshened up, they all had a quick breakfast and discussed the plan to find Yuri.

Before leaving Korea, Tiffany had found out from Amber (via her sister Jackie) that Yuri had moved into their grandma’s condominium after Grandma Liu moved in with Yuri’s parents. She also found out that Yuri wasn't on call at the hospital this weekend and would be at home. Amber had Jackie tell Yuri that Grandma Liu planned for a Sunday visit and to keep her day free. Of course, Yuri obliged and agreed to stay home to wait for her grandmother. Armed with the address and a bit of inside information, Jessica knew exactly where to find Yuri.

Although the original plan included Tiffany coming along for moral support, Jessica had decided that she needed to face Yuri alone. She knew if Tiffany came along, she would jump in and try to help explain things. As well intentioned as Tiffany’s actions would be, Jessica felt that Yuri deserved to hear everything directly from her. She reasoned that since she was the one responsible for this whole mess, she needed to step up and fix it herself.

As Jessica and Mr. Goh got up to leave, Tiffany gave her a big hug. “Good luck, Jessi. I know you guys will work things out. I’ll be here waiting…fingers and toes crossed.”

Jessica stayed quiet in the backseat of the rented sedan during the entire drive. As Mr. Goh pulled the car up in front of the condominium, the reality of actually seeing Yuri face to face suddenly sank in. “Uncle, I don’t know if I can do this. What if she won’t see me? After what I did, I don’t blame her.”

“Soo Yeon, you have something very special with Yuri. I truly believe it would take more than six months for her feelings to fade," replied Mr. Goh. "Have some hope, okay?”

Jessica took a deep cleansing breathe and exited the car. She walked up to the front door and knocked. There was no answer. She knocked again and heard a woman’s voice. “Hold on…I’ll be right there.” The door opened and there stood a beautiful young woman in the doorway.

Jessica immediately recognized the girl and was shocked. To make matters worse, the girl was wearing the red Domo Domo t-shirt that she had given Yuri in Thailand and little else. “Can I help you?” the girl asked.

Jessica could barely speak. She felt a sharp pain in her chest and felt dizzy as she clutched onto the pendant Yuri had given her. Thankfully, she didn’t pass out. Oh my God, she’s wearing the shirt. “G-good morning…I’m sorry to bother you. Is Yuri home?”

“She’s still asleep...recovering from last night. If it’s important I can go wake her up,” the girl said as she took a sip of coffee from her mug.

“N-no, it’s okay. Don’t wake her.” As the girl lifted the mug to take another sip, Jessica noticed the very large diamond ring on her left hand. The pain in her heart grew sharper which made her feel nauseous, but she managed to maintain her composure. “B-by the way, that’s a beautiful ring. When is the w-wedding?” Jessica stuttered.

“Oh, thank you,” the girl said as she held out her hand and admired her ring. “We’re getting married next summer in Paris. I’m so happy! I never thought I’d snag myself a doctor,” she said as she winked at Jessica.

“C-congratulations…I’m sure you’re going to make a beautiful bride. I’ll be going now. Sorry to bother you,” Jessica apologized as she turned away to head back to the car.

“Do you want me to give Yuri a message or tell her you came by?” the girl called out. “What’s your name?”

“No, it’s fine. Don’t worry about it.”  Jessica fought back her tears and got into the car.

After seeing the girl in Yuri’s doorway, along with Jessica’s tears, Mr. Goh knew that the attempted reunion had gone horribly wrong. “I’m sorry, Soo Yeon.”

“Let’s go, uncle. I’m too late.”