HERE COMES THE BRIDE

Happily Ever After?

During her short stay in Korea, Grandma Liu spent time with her granddaughters and also met with Mr. and Mrs. Jung to discuss Yuri and Jessica’s wedding.  The event was set for the summer of 2016 and was to be held in California. After Grandma Liu talked with Yuri’s parents over the phone, both families agreed to a small private ceremony with only family and close friends in attendance.

Grandma Liu eventually returned to Los Angeles accompanied by Yuri. As much as Yuri and Jessica hated to be apart, the betrothed couple realized that they would have to weather the challenges of a long-distance relationship for a short period of time.

Yuri was able to work a deal out with her employer to oversee the project she had implemented at Seoul University Hospital for several months out of the year. Luckily for Jessica, Girls’ Generation’s activities were scheduled to give the veteran K-pop idols more free time for their personal lives and other career pursuits. Jessica was able to live in the mainland for half of the year and traveled to concerts and other events as needed. For the other half of the year, Yuri lived and worked in Korea.


Sometime in the immediate future, Los Angeles

Amber and Yuri took turns standing in front of the mirror adjusting their tuxes. “We sure look good, gēge,” Amber said as she fixed her hair and straightened her bowtie. “Yes, Ambro…we do. I didn’t know a llama could be so handsome,” Yuri teased.

Amber gave Yuri a mischievous look. “I wonder how the girls are doing. Let’s go check on them,” she said.

“We can’t. It’s bad luck to see the bride before the wedding. Jessi will skin me alive if we go over there.”

“C’mon, gēge…we’ll just say hi through the door.” Amber walked down the hall to the master bedroom of the rented Beverly Hills private estate. She put her ear up the door and listened. “What are you doing, Amber?” Yuri asked.

“Just checking if Krystal and Jessica are in the room. Shhhh…I think I hear them.”

Suddenly the door flew open and Amber fell into the room and onto the floor.  Yuri tried to catch her but ended up falling on top of her cousin.

“Yah! What the hell are you doing!?” Jessica shrieked. “It’s bad luck to see the bride before the wedding! Get the hell out of here!”

Yuri and Amber immediately covered their eyes and picked themselves up off of the floor. “Sorry, babe,” Yuri apologized while keeping her eyes covered. “It was Amber’s idea.”

“Yah, Amber! Get out of here, stupid!” Krystal shouted.

Jessica yelled at the top of her lungs. “I don’t care whose idea it was, Yuri Liu! Get out! Now! N! O! W! Now!”

 

45 minutes later…

The bridegroom and other members of the wedding party stood in front of the crowd and anxiously awaited the arrival of the bride. Before long, the pianist and cellist were given the cue to begin.

*Right click on link below and open in new tab to hear song.*

A Thousand Years
(by Christina Perri; Instrumental by ThePianoGuys)
 

As the music started the stunning bride made her way down the makeshift aisle lined with hundreds of pink and white roses. Everyone looked at her in awe. After a few steps she was greeted by her waiting parents.

Mr. and Mrs. Jung each greeted their daughter with a hug and a kiss and proceeded to accompany her down the aisle. When they reached the end, they remained by her side as she took her place next to her beloved in front of the minister.

Yuri looked at Jessica and winked. The tomboy was blown away by how beautiful Jessica looked. She was absolutely glowing in her gorgeous off the shoulder gown. Jessica smiled at Yuri and mouthed ‘I love you’. As the minister spoke, Yuri continued to hold her gaze on Jessica.

“Welcome family and friends. We are gathered here today…”

Amber noticed that Yuri wasn’t paying attention and gently elbowed her cousin in the ribs as she whispered, “Yuri…pay attention.”

Yuri snapped out of her trance. “Sorry.”

The minister continued. “…we are gathered here today to join together Amber Liu Yiyun and Krystal Jung Soo Jung in holy matrimony. Marriage is the union of two loving partners in heart, body and mind. It is intended for their mutual joy, but more importantly it is a means through which a stable and loving environment may be attained.”

As the minister continued, Mr. Goh felt a nudge from his wife as she leaned over toward him and quietly asked, “Yeobo, how far along is Soo Yeon again? She looks like she going to pop any minute now.”

“She due in 2 weeks,” answered Mr. Goh.

“Oh, that’s right. She really has that pregnancy glow doesn’t she? I guess pregnancy suits her. She had that same glow with the twins.”

The ceremony continued on. "Being assured that your love and your choice of each other as lifelong companions are in God's will and that you have your families' blessings. I now ask. Who gives this woman to be married?" the minister asked.

Mr. Jung responded,” Her mother and I do.” Mr. Jung then placed Krystal’s hand in Amber’s. He gave his daughter a kiss on the cheek as a single tear rolled down his face. He leaned over and gave Amber a hug. “Take care of my Soo Jung, Amber.”

Mrs. Goh nudged her husband again. “Where are the twins anyway? I thought they would be here.”

“They’re at home with the nanny that Yuri’s grandmother hired after Soo Yeon became pregnant again,” Mr. Goh replied. “Grandma Liu didn’t want Soo Yeon to chase the twins around while she’s pregnant.”

“Oh, I see,” Mrs. Goh nodded. “I was hoping to see those cute little boys. They really look like Yuri. How old are they now?”

“Julian and Aiden just turned 2 a few months ago,” answered Mr. Goh. “Anae, can we please focus on the ceremony now?”

“This is such a beautiful estate. They really decorated it well,” Mrs. Goh ignored her huband's pleas to pay attention to the ceremony and went on and on. “Yuri and Soo Yeon’s ceremony was beautiful as well. It was small and simple, but it was so moving. I never cried so much at a wedding before. What was the name of that chapel again? You know…the one in San Francisco where they were married.”

“It was the Presidio Chapel of Our Lady,” replied Mr. Goh. “Please, anae…let’s talk after the ceremony. I want to hear the vows.”

Mrs. Goh nodded and turned her attention back to the young couple as they were about to begin their vows.

Amber spoke first. “I, Amber Liu, take you, Krystal Jung, to be my wife. I promise before our family and friends to love you and care for you always. I promise to support you and to turn to you when I need support. You are the one I choose to spend my life with."

Krystal smiled at Amber and spoke her vows. “I, Krystal Jung, take you, Amber Liu, to be my wife. I promise before our family and friends to love you and care for you always. I promise to support you and to turn to you when I need support. You are the one I choose to spend my life with."

“Krystal and Amber, you have shared your promises to one another in our presence. We are all witnesses to your love and commitment. May I have the rings please?” the minister asked and looked at Yuri who quickly handed over the wedding bands.

The young couple then exchanged rings as a reminder of the promises they made to one another.  The minister smiled at them both and said, “You have exchanged your promises and have given and received rings in my presence. By these acts and according to the laws of the state of California, I hereby pronounce you married. You may now kiss.”

After they shared a sweet gentle kiss, the newlywed couple turned to face their family and friends as the minister announced, “I now present to you the married couple! Congratulations Krystal and Amber! May God bless you on your journey together!”

Krystal linked arms with Amber and lead the way down the aisle as everyone applauded. They were followed by Yuri and Jessica and the rest of the small wedding party which included Jackie, Luna and Sulli, along with Key, Donghae and Jonghyun.

During the reception dinner, it was time for the best man’s speech. Yuri stood up and gently tapped a spoon on her glass to get everyone’s attention. “Good evening family and friends. On behalf of Krystal and Amber, I’d like to thank you all for being here and sharing this special day with the Jung and Liu families. My name is Yuri Liu and I am the best…uh…person as well as Amber’s cousin.”

Yuri rested her hand on Amber’s shoulder. “I’ve known Amber since the day she was born, literally. I've watched her grow into the intelligent, caring and talented young woman that she is today. If you had asked me back then if I thought she would end up in the entertainment industry, I would have said yes. Thankfully, by the grace of God, she wound up in Korea because that was where her destiny awaited her…that is where she met Krystal.”

Yuri continued. “Little did I know that my destiny was intertwined with Amber’s because it was also there in Korea where I met my beautiful wife, Jessica. I love you, Jessi,” Yuri said as she smiled at her very pregnant wife. “So, thank you Amber for pursuing your dreams…because of you mine all came true. I love you very much. Our family is so happy and very proud of the person you have become.”

Yuri leaned over and gave Amber a quick hug and then turned her attention to the Krystal. “Krystal, welcome to the family. We are all delighted that Amber found such a wonderful person to share her life with.”

Yuri reached for her glass and toasted the couple. “I'd like to propose a toast to Krystal and Amber. I wish you both the best of luck and a life together filled with health, happiness and joy. I look forward to being a part of your lives and having you both as a part of my life for many, many years to come. May your love be modern enough to survive the times, but old fashioned enough to last forever.”

Later that evening about halfway through the reception, Mrs. Goh noticed Yuri rubbing Jessica’s pregnant belly as she stood behind them at the dessert table. As she headed back to her table, Mrs. Goh decided to continue with the line of questioning she had started during the ceremony and tapped her husband on the shoulder. “Yeobo, tell me again how Yuri and Soo Yeon had the twins. I’m still not sure I understand how they did it. Did they do the same thing for this pregnancy?”

Mr. Goh sighed and looked at his wife. “Anae, I already told you how they did it. They did in-vitro fertilization with the twins. They used donor and Yuri’s eggs, and Soo Yeon carried the babies. So Yuri is the twins’ biological mother and Soo Yeon is their birth mother."

“Oh, I see,” Mrs. Goh replied. “That’s why the boys look like Yuri. What about this time?”

“This time they used the same anonymous donor, but they did insemination so the baby is biologically Soo Yeon’s, but is also related to the twins.”

“Oh, okay. I get it now. Isn’t it amazing what modern medicine can do? Huh, yeobo?”

“Yes…it is amazing,” Mr. Goh replied to his wife as he smiled in Soo Yeon and Yuri’s direction.

 

An hour later…

“Are you sure you don’t mind taking Jessica home?” Yuri asked Taeyeon and Tiffany as they walked outside to the front of the house.

“No, it’s fine. I know Jessi is tired and her back is sore,” replied Tiffany. "You should just stay and celebrate with Amber.”

“Yeah, make sure that llama doesn’t drink too much,” Taeyeon said and smirked. “I’m sure she wants to enjoy, as well as remember, her wedding night.”

Yuri looked at Jessica. “Are you sure you’re going to be okay, Jessi? I’ll just take you home myself and stay with you. How’s your back feeling?”

“I’ll be fine, yeobo,” Jessica replied. “My back feels better after changing into my flats. You stay and have fun. Besides, Mrs. Wong is there with the boys so I won’t be alone.”

Yuri walked Jessica out to Taeyeon and Tiffany’s car and helped her pregnant wife get into the backseat. “So this is the new ride. Nice, Tae, very nice,” Yuri said as she admired the brand new BMW X5 SUV. Tiffany and Taeyeon were living back and forth between L.A. and Korea and had just bought the car. “Drive safe. You’ve got my wife and baby with you,” Yuri told Taeyeon.

“Don’t worry…I’ll keep them both safe,” Taeyeon replied and gave Yuri a thumbs up.

After Yuri gave Jessica a peck on the cheek, she closed the door and watched as the black SUV pulled slowly out of the driveway. As she walked back towards the house, something made Yuri stop and glance back. Maybe I should have taken Jessi home myself…