MAKING IT WORK

Happily Ever After?

Flashback: Yesterday (Sunday) evening, Korea

Amber and Krystal were watching TV in their dorm room when Amber’s cell phone rang.  She looked at the screen and saw that the incoming call was from Tiffany.

“Hello, Tiffany. What’s going on? I’ve been waiting for your call.”

“Yuri is going to propose to Jessica. I don’t have time to explain. She said your grandma needs to know so call whoever you need to call in your family. Jessica is waiting for me. She’s planning on leaving back to Korea. I have to go. Bye!”

The line suddenly went dead.

“Propose? What? Wait, Tiffany! Damn it!”

 “What’s wrong, baby?” Krystal asked with worried look on her face. “Is everything okay? Did Yuri and Jessica make up?”

It took a few seconds for Amber to snap back into reality. She turned to Krystal, looking like she had seen a ghost. “Yuri is going to ask Jessica to marry her,” Amber muttered.

“What!? Oh my God!! Oh my God!! Unnie is going to get married!!” Krystal yelled as she happily jumped up and down.

“Tiffany said something about Yuri proposing,” Amber explained. “I need to make a very important phone call before Yuri pops the question. I need to call Grandma Liu.” She nervously dialed her grandmother’s number. “I hope she doesn’t yell at me. Better yet, I hope she doesn’t kill Yuri."

Amber proceeded to explain to Grandma Liu that Yuri was going to propose to Jessica without asking her permission. She also explained Yuri and Jessica’s history and the events leading up to the proposal. She wanted their năinai to know everything to lessen her anger with Yuri for not introducing Jessica to her first.

“Please don’t be angry with Yuri, năinai I don’t even know if Jessica is going to say yes.”

“She'd better say yes or she will have to answer to me if she breaks my Yuri’s heart again. Yiyun, where can I find this Jessica?”

…end of flashback

 

Korean Airlines Terminal, LAX

"Yiyun? Do you mean, Amber? Oh! You’re Amber’s…that’s means y-your…Yuri’s gr-grandmother!” Jessica said shocked as she quickly stood up and bowed a full 90 degrees in front of the old woman. "I'm sorry, Grandmother Liu. This is my fault. I made things so difficult for us. Please don’t be angry with Yuri.”

"It’s okay, my dear. Sit down,” Grandma Liu said as she directed Jessica to sit back down beside her. “My Yuri does not love just anyone easily. She must love you very much after everything that has happened...enough to propose without asking my permission. I see that your love is just as strong when you look at her. Jessica, please promise that you'll take care of my Yuri and be true to her.”

"Yes, Grandmother Liu. I will. I promise,” Jessica replied.

"Call me năinai,” said Grandma Liu. "One other thing, my dear…I want lots of great-grandchildren, okay? I'm not getting any younger so don't wait too long."

"O-okay, năinai. L-lots of great-grandchildren...”

“By the way…you’re my favorite So Nyeo Shi Dae member,” Grandma Liu said and winked at Jessica. “I learned a little about Kpop after Yiyun left for Korea.”

Yuri returned to where Jessica was seated. When she realized who was sitting next to her, she suddenly dropped to her knees and bowed. “Năinai? What are you doing here?”

Grandma Liu smiled at her eldest granddaughter. “I’m going to Korea to visit Yiyun and to help plan your wedding. Mr. Goh helped me arrange my trip.”

“What? Plan my wedding?" Yuri bowed again. “I’m so sorry, năinai. I know I am supposed to introduce my girlfriend first and then ask for permission to marry her, but this was an emergency. Please forgive me.”

“Stand up, Yuri! People are looking at us.” Grandma Liu scolded. “Don’t worry, Yiyun called me and explained everything. Wait, did you at least call Jessica’s parents and ask for permission to marry their daughter?”

“Yes, năinai, I called yesterday.  They gave us their blessing, but I still need to tell my parents. They’re going to be mad that I didn’t talk to them first.”

“Don’t worry about your parents. I’ll handle them,” Grandma Liu reassured Yuri “Now come sit down. I have something to share with you and Jessica.”

“Yes, năinai,” Yuri said as she gave her grandmother a kiss on the cheek and sat down next to her future bride.

Grandma Liu held both of their hands. “Just some advice from an old woman who was married for 60 years. Remember that you will always face challenges in your relationship. When times get hard, remember and embrace all of the happy moments you have shared on your journey together…things like your first kiss, your first ‘I love you’, your first intimate moment, your engagement, your wedding day, and the birth of your children. Talk to one another…share all of your joys and sorrows. Always have faith in your love and in each other. If you do that, you will always find your way back to one another. This is how you make it work.”

Jessica gently squeezed Grandma Liu’s hand. “I will remember that always. Thank you, năinai.”

Yuri reached over and hugged her grandmother. “Thank you, năinai. I love you."

“I love you too. One last thing, Yuri...I already mentioned this to Jessica. I want lots of great-grandchildren!”

Yuri looked at Jessica and winked. “Don’t worry, năinai. We’ll work on it.”