IS SHE SINGLE?

Happily Ever After?

Back at the dorm, Amber quietly showed Yuri around her place. Since it was pretty late, Luna, Victoria and Sulli were already asleep.

“I hope you don’t mind sleeping on the couch. It’s really comfy. I would give you my bed, but the girls might freak out if they see someone else other than me sleeping in it,” Amber explained apologetically. “The studio apartment you’re going to stay in is down the hall. It’s a kick pad. The PD that lived there made it into a man cave complete with a big screen TV. He moved out and is on his honeymoon now, but said you can use the place while you’re here. We’ll get you settled in tomorrow.”

Yuri yawned and stretched her arms above her head. “Cool. The couch is fine.”

Amber suddenly ran over and hugged her cousin. “I’m so glad you’re here. I really missed you, gēge.”

Yuri smiled and patted Amber on the head. “I missed you too. We have a lot of time to catch up, but right now I need some sleep.”

The next morning, Sulli walked into the kitchen to get a glass of juice. She noticed someone asleep on the couch with her face buried in the pillows and assumed it was Amber.  She leaned over and whispered, “Hyung, wake up. You want some juice?” There was no response. Sulli spoke louder, “Hyung! Wake up!”

Yuri jumped up startled by Sulli’s voice and disoriented from jet lag. Sulli freaked out when she saw that the person on the couch wasn't Amber and threw juice in the stranger’s face. “Yaaaaahhhh!!! Who are you?!? What are you doing here?!? What have you done with Amber?!?”

Amber, Victoria and Luna rushed into the living room to find Sulli holding an empty glass in one hand and a slipper in the other ready to strike Yuri. Amber fell onto the floor laughing when she saw juice dripping from her cousin’s face and Sulli in attack mode. After she caught her breath and apologized for laughing, she introduced Yuri to the girls.

Cute, Victoria thought to herself and smiled.

These Liu girls are really handsome, thought Luna.

Sulli turned beet red with embarrassment after she learned who Yuri was. She grabbed a towel from the kitchen and offered it to Yuri. “Sorry,” she said with a cute smile. “You want some juice?”

After breakfast, Amber took Yuri on a tour of the main SM building. She introduced her cousin to Eunhyuk and Donghae from Super Junior, and also Minho, Key, Jonghyun and Taemin from SHINee. Yuri teased Amber as they walked to the studio where f(x) was meeting for practice. “Donghae and Jonghyun look like they could be your brothers." Amber rolled her eyes. “Like I haven’t heard that a thousand times already.”

Yuri and Amber had similar personalities so it was easy for the older Liu to make friends with Amber’s SM family. The only thing was that Yuri sometimes the charm a bit too much around girls which often got her into trouble. In reality, she was shy and her gregarious personality was a defense mechanism. It kept her from having to get too personal with people since she often felt awkward in one to one situations particularly when it came to women.

Yuri watched f(x) practice and was quite impressed with the girls’ talent and was especially proud of Amber. In the studio next door, Girls’ Generation was about to begin practice. The girls took their positions and ‘Mr. Mr.’ came on over the speakers. Yuri perked up when she heard the song coming from the room next door and grabbed Amber by the hand.

“Hear that, Ambro? It’s ‘Mr. Mr.’ by…hmm…I can’t remember their name. Can we watch them practice, please? I really like the song.”

Amber smiled at her cousin. “Sure, gēge. The group you’re talking about is Girls’ Generation. Careful, you’re starting to act like a fangirl.”

Amber slowly opened the back door to the studio and gestured to Taeyeon to make sure it was okay to come in. Taeyeon gave Amber a thumbs-up as she continued to dance.

“Who’s that with Amber? He’s cute,” Sunny whispered to Hyo Yeon as Amber and Yuri made their way to the back corner and sat on the floor to watch the girls practice.

Meanwhile, Jessica was completely unaware that Amber and Yuri had entered the room. She had her hair up in a ponytail and wore a baseball cap pulled down low so Yuri didn’t recognize her. When her turn to sing came up, she spotted Yuri in the reflection of the studio mirrors as she stepped forward. She suddenly became nervous, stuttered her part and stepped out of formation.

Hyo Yeon slapped Jessica lightly on the back of the head and teased, “Yah, Sica! Get it together! Stop flirting with that new guy!” Jessica glared at Hyo Yeon who just stuck her tongue out and laughed.

“Sica! Hyo Yeon! Cut it out!” Taeyeon gently scolded as she threw a look of embarrassment at the Liu cousins.

After ‘Mr. Mr.’, the girls worked through three more songs and had built up quite a sweat. Jessica walked over to the air conditioner and removed her cap to cool off.  “Sica, come here. We need to talk about the changes for our next concert,” Taeyeon called out.

When Jessica turned around, Yuri was shocked when she realized that it was her and that she was a member of Girls’ Generation. Sica? Jessica? ! What the hell? I wonder what else she lied about. Jessica, on the other hand, tried her best to ignore Yuri now that her final lie had been revealed. She was also still upset that Yuri had lied to her too.

When practice was over, Amber introduced Yuri to the girls who were quite surprised to find out that she was a girl, all except for Jessica of course. When Yuri was introduced to Seohyun, the younger girl bowed and called her oppa. She hadn't been paying attention and didn't realize that the tomboy was a girl. She was so embarrassed and couldn’t look Yuri in the face.

“It’s okay…don’t feel bad. It happens often. From now on, only you can call me oppa,” Yuri said as she gently pinched Seohyun’s cheek which made the girl smile. “Thank you, Yuri oppa.”

Following the formal introductions, Yuri immediately the charm and began to throw compliments at each of the girls with the exception of Jessica, which Tiffany happened to notice. “You’re funny, Yuri. I like you,” Taeyeon said and smiled. “Just stay away from my girlfriend, okay?” she jokingly teased as she linked arms with Tiffany who was busy watching Jessica.

Jessica was fixated on Yuri’s every move and every now and then glared at the tomboy and rolled her eyes. When it came to Jessica, Tiffany had a sixth sense and she knew something was bothering her friend. She observed the awkward interaction between Jessica and Yuri and wondered what was going on between the two.

Meanwhile, Jessica was annoyed by Yuri’s flirty behavior and was even more convinced that the tomboy was a player. She has no shame. First she flirts with our innocent maknae and then with everyone else. I wonder who she’ll try to sleep with first, she thought while giving Yuri her best ice cold glare.

Both girl groups gathered in the break room for lunch for a mini-celebration for Tiffany’s birthday. Yuri stayed for a little while but then excused herself and went back to Amber’s room to rest citing jet lag as the reason. In reality, she felt a little overwhelmed being around so many beautiful girls and had also become annoyed with Jessica’s dirty looks.

After the little party, the girls clustered around Amber to find out more about Yuri. Jessica remained quiet and seemed uninterested, but sat close by.

"Our dads are brothers, so we're first cousins...but we're really more like siblings," Amber explained. "We haven't seen each other for 4 years, but thankfully Yuri's job needed someone to come to Seoul. She volunteered so she could come and visit me. Oh yeah, before I forget...please don't call her unnie. It's awkward for her."

“Is she single?” Tiffany asked while glancing sideways at Jessica.

“Yah, Fany! Why do you want to know?” Taeyeon snapped jealously.

“Tae, I’m just asking for the girls who were curious but too shy to ask,” Tiffany responded.

“Okay, fine. Just remember that you’re not single,” Taeyeon warned and pouted.

Tiffany smiled at her girlfriend and then turned her attention back to Jessica who appeared to be listening attentively for Amber’s response.

“Yuri is single, but I don’t think she’s looking to date anyone right now. Broken heart from a bad break-up…cheating ex. Sorry to the girls who were curious.”

“Awww,” said Sunny looking disappointed.

“What do you mean awww?” Hyo Yeon chided the chubby cheeked girl. “I bet you wouldn’t say that if Hyomin were here.”

Amber had left out the details of the break-up out of respect for her cousin. Two years ago Gyuri, Yuri’s girlfriend of 2 years, had cheated on her with Henry, one of Yuri’s friends and fellow residents at the hospital. Yuri had vowed to remain single since then. She was afraid to love again…afraid to put herself out there and risk having her heart broken.

Suddenly Seohyun spoke up and said nonchalantly, “If I were gay, I would date someone like Yuri oppa. She’s so nice and handsome.”

Everyone…except for Jessica…burst into laughter at the innocent girl’s comment.