GRANDMA LIU

Happily Ever After?

Yuri looked at her watch as she and Jessica rushed to the restaurant. Dinner with Grandma Liu was at 6:30 and they were already 10 minutes late. “! Năinai is gonna be pissed,” Yuri cursed under her breath as they ran through the double doors.

The couple walked quickly into the restaurant and found Grandma Liu sitting in a small private dining room with Amber and Krystal. “Nice of you to join us,” the old woman said curtly. “Now have a seat so we can order dinner.”

After helping Jessica get settled in her chair, Yuri sat down next to her grandmother and apologized. “I’m sorry, năinai. We overslept. Uh…jetlag.”

Jessica smiled at Grandma Liu and blushed thinking about the real reason why she and Yuri had overslept. Grandma Liu noticed and smiled back. “It’s okay, Yuri,” she said to her granddaughter. “Just make sure you’re not late to your own wedding.”

After everyone ordered their food, Grandma Liu reached over and adjusted Yuri’s collar. “Yuri, did you and Jessica go camping last night?”

Yuri was puzzled by her grandmother’s question. “Camping? No, năinai…we stayed at Jessica’s apartment.”

“Well, wherever you were there must have been some really big mosquitoes. It looks like one got you right there,” the old woman said pointing at Yuri’s neck.

Yuri quickly covered the dark hickey with her hand as her cheeks turned bright red, while Jessica hid her face in her hands.

“Here take this,” Grandma Liu said and handed Yuri her compact. “Go in the bathroom and cover that bite up. Yiyun, go help your cousin. I want to talk privately with Jessica and Krystal.”

“Yes, năinai,” Yuri and Amber answered simultaneously as they got up and left the table leaving the Jung sisters alone with Grandma Liu.

Krystal gave the old woman a nervous smile, while Jessica looked down at the table embarrased because she knew that she was the big mosquito that Grandma Liu was referring to that had bitten Yuri's neck.

Grandma Liu cleared and broke the silence. “My dear Jessica…I know these things happen in the heat of the moment,” the old lady said bluntly, “but, please do it below the neckline. It’s not very becoming for a doctor or a doctor’s wife to show off their love bites. Please be more careful.”

“Yes, năinai,” Jessica answered. “I’m sorry.”

The old woman continued. “So, I wanted to talk to you girls about my granddaughters. You may not be aware of this, but both Yiyun and Yuri have already been promised in marriage to two very nice young men. My late husband, their grandfather, made these arrangements when they were very young.”

“Wh-what?” Krystal asked, startled. “But you already gave your approval to Yuri and I,” replied Jessica.

“You and Yuri are fine,” answered Grandma Liu. “Yuri proposed and you accepted before I could stop it, so you are free to marry.” She then turned and faced Krystal. “You and Yiyun are another story. I’m sorry, Krystal, but I can’t approve of your relationship. Yiyun is to be married as planned to her future husband when she turns 26. The Liu family honor depends on it.”

Krystal bit her lip in frustration as Jessica reached over and held her sister’s hand. Krystal wanted to scream at the top of her lungs and voice her disapproval of Grandma Liu’s decision, but she knew how much Amber loved and respected her grandmother. Krystal took a deep, calming breath before she spoke.

“I’m sorry you feel that way, Grandma Liu, but Amber and I love each other very much. Even though we’re young, we know that we want to be together. I mean no disrespect to you or to your late husband, but Amber and I are going to continue to date whether we have your permission or not. I believe in my heart that Amber and I were destined for each other and nothing is going to keep us apart. I love her and will do whatever it takes for us to stay together.”

Jessica chimed in to support her sister. “Năinai, what about the story you told me when we met at the airport? You must remember how heartbreaking it was when you were told you couldn’t be with your first love? How can you do this to my sister and Amber?”

“I’m sorry, girls. I can't do anything about it.”

“Well, maybe there's something I can do,” replied Jessica. “I’m sorry, năinai, but if you disallow Amber to be with Krystal…I…I can’t marry Yuri. I can’t marry into a family that doesn’t approve of my sister’s relationship with Amber.”

“No, unnie! I can’t let you do that! You just got Yuri back and I know how much you love her. Please don’t do this,” Krystal pleaded. “Don’t sacrifice your happiness for me.”

“I have to, Soo Jung. You’re my sister. Who needs marriage anyway? We can still be with Yuri and Amber despite what anyone else wants or thinks we should do. It should be about what we want…about what Yuri and Amber want.”

Jessica stood up and Krystal followed her lead. The sisters bowed to Grandma Liu and turned to walk away. They paused when they heard laughter coming from the old woman. “Feisty…just like Yuri and Yiyun said you both were. Please sit back down, Jessica and Krystal.” The sisters sat down and looked at each other, confused about what had just happened.

Grandma Liu looked Krystal directly in the eye. “I’m sorry for upsetting you, Krystal…but I had to test you to see how strong your love is for my Yiyun. You have my permission to date her and to marry in the future when you are ready.”

Krystal burst into tears and hugged the old woman. “Thank you, Grandma Liu! I promise to take good care of Amber!”

“Call me năinai, Krystal.” Grandma Liu said and returned the hug. She then reached over and held Jessica's hand and smiled. “And you, Miss Jessica Jung…you have already proven how much you love my Yuri. You put her happiness before yours and almost lost her, but thankfully you came to your senses and realized that the best thing for Yuri was you. I’m glad to see that you stood up for your sister and Yiyun’s relationship, as well as yours and Yuri’s. I’m confident that you will fight for your relationship no matter what obstacles you and Yuri may face. Yuri made the right choice falling in love with you.”

The old woman then looked at the sisters. “Seriously, girls…I do want to talk to you about Yuri and Yiyun.” Krystal and Jessica gave năinai their full attention. “I can see why they chose you girls. You’re both beautiful and have very strong personalities. The women that have married into the Liu family are the same way. Both Yuri’s and Yiyun’s mothers are like that. They run their households. It’s not that my sons are weak, it’s just that they're mellow and easy-going just like my husband was. Yuri and Yiyun are the same way. They both take after their fathers with just a touch of their mothers hidden in there somewhere.”

Grandma Liu took a sip of her tea and continued. “Love and respect Yuri and Yiyun and set them straight when you have to…but know that sometimes you have to let things go for the sake of your relationship. Don’t rule with an iron fist, it will only lead to difficulties. Promise me that you’ll treat my granddaughters well. They will treat you like princesses, but be sure to live up to the graciousness of that title and be deserving of it.”

"We promise," answered the sisters in unison.

The old woman then glanced over at the younger Jung. “So Krystal, do you like children?"

“Yes, năinai, I do. Why do you ask?”

“Just wondering…” Grandma Liu said and smiled.