UNCLE GOH

Happily Ever After?

Next day: Saturday morning, SM Café

After they ordered their drinks, Mr. Goh and Yuri sat down at a corner table. Yuri kept her sunglasses on to hide her blackened eye. She had iced it up for a few hours the night before so the swelling was almost gone. Thankfully, her vision was fine, but the bruise was pretty ugly.

“Yuri, how’s the eye? I wanted to ask what happened last night, but you didn’t look up to chatting.”

“Overzealous girl plus alcohol equals punch in face,” Yuri said as she laughed as she took off her glasses. She then briefly explained what happened with Ailee at the party.

“I’m just glad you’re okay,” Mr. Goh replied and smiled sympathetically at the tomboy. “So, other than getting socked in the face, how do you like it here in Korea?”

“It’s nice. The project at the hospital pretty much runs itself so I have a lot of free time to spend with Amber. Plus, everyone has been so nice and the food and shopping are great.”

“Good, good.” Mr. Goh cleared his throat. “Well, I asked you here today to talk to you about Soo Yeon.”

“Soo Yeon? Oh, you mean Jessi… I mean Jessica.”

“Things haven’t been going so well between the two of you lately, have they?”

Yuri furrowed her brow in confusion. How does he know about me and Jessica? “Not really, sir. It’s complicated.”

“No need to be so formal, Yuri. Call me uncle. Tell me, why is it complicated?”

For some reason Yuri felt very comfortable with Mr. Goh. Maybe it was because he reminded her a little bit of her own father. He was a very caring and genuine person and was a like a second father to a lot of the idols who began their training at a very young age. He also made it his duty to look out for their best interests.

Yuri hadn’t fully shared her feelings with Amber to prevent placing any burden on her cousin, so she really needed someone to talk to about Jessica. She decided to tell Mr. Goh everything, leaving out the intimate details of course. He was surprised to hear that Yuri had thought Jessica was going to use her.

“Why would you think that? Soo Yeon would never do something like that. She’s not that kind of person.”

“In the beginning, she went from cold to hot with me. I also know she had never dated a woman before. Plus, she agreed to go on a date with me even after that rumor,” Yuri explained. “It made sense at the time to think her motives were not so honorable. I know now that I misjudged her.”

“Oh yes, that rumor. I knew it wasn’t true. Donghae is a good boy and although I’ve only known you for a short time, I know you would never do something like that. After I saw the spark between you and Soo Yeon on the plane and after your little basketball lunch outing, I did a background check on you.”

Yuri was taken aback by Mr. Goh’s comment. “Spark on the plane? What? Wait a minute…background check? Really?”

“I was on the flight with you guys from L.A. and saw what happened on the plane. Soo Yeon didn’t know I was there. I also watched your interactions closely at the group lunch that day. She’s different with you. I can tell she really likes you so I needed to make sure you weren’t some deranged maniac. Soo Yeon is like a daughter to me.”

“I understand, uncle,” Yuri replied.

“I haven’t talked with Soo Yeon directly about any of this, but I know she cares very much for you, Yuri. She’s a very private person but she’s not so good at hiding her feelings.”

“Uncle, I don’t know what to do. I really like her and apparently she feels the same way. I’m just afraid of having my heart broken again, so pursuing her is a little scary for me.”

“Nothing ventured is nothing gained. Why don’t you try to get to know Soo Yeon without the pressure of dating or being romantic, without any silly games…like how you were with each other on the plane?” suggested Mr. Goh. “That should make things less scary. You really need to stop avoiding her and spend time with her. If she is genuinely interested in you, you’ll see it and feel it. Besides, it’s better if you become friends first. It will make your relationship that much stronger.”

Mr. Goh leaned forward and looked Yuri straight in the face. “Ask yourself this question. Is Soo Yeon worth the risk? You’ve only known each other for a little over two weeks and I can see that you’re miserable without her.”

Yuri sat back in her chair and took a deep breath. “She is, uncle...she’s definitely worth the risk.”

“Then drop your guard a little and open your heart to her. That’s the only way that you’ll be able to know how she really feels. She’ll reveal herself sooner or later.”

“Sooner would be better,” joked Yuri. “It makes sense when you put it that way. I guess I can’t hide from my feelings anymore. Thank you, uncle.”

“You’re welcome, Yuri. One thing though, if you hurt Soo Yeon you’ll have to answer to me.”

“Yes, sir, don’t worry…I would never intentionally hurt her.”

“Good.” Mr. Goh suddenly changed the subject. “Now what are you doing tomorrow?”

“Hanging out with Amber and Krystal…we haven’t made any concrete plans yet.”

“I want to invite you to my granddaughter Katie’s 5th birthday party. She visits every summer from California. Come meet my family and have some home cooked Korean food.”

“Sure, that would be great. Thank you, uncle.”

“Amber and Krystal have a full schedule today, so I’ll let them know about the party when I see them. They’ve met Katie before. I’ll arrange for a company car so Ricky will probably be the one to drive you. It’s about an hour and a half from Seoul. My wife’s family lives out there and runs a horseback riding business. I would drive you, but I have to leave the night before to help prepare for the party.”

Mr. Goh paused before getting up from the table. “Yuri, just to be sure…your intentions toward Soo Yeon are honorable, yes?”

“Yes sir. You have my word, Uncle Goh.”