FINDING YURI LIU

Happily Ever After?

The day after Jessica’s hospitalization, Lee Soo Man called a meeting with Tiffany and Mr. Goh. They discussed with him what had happened with Jessica, filling in all of the important details that he had not been aware of, which made him even more concerned about her well-being.

When they were finished talking, Tiffany excused herself while Mr. Lee asked Mr. Goh to stay behind so they could talk. “What do you want to discuss, Soo Man?” Mr. Goh asked as he took a seat.

“I’m extremely concerned about Soo Yeon," replied Mr. Lee. "I didn’t realize things were this bad and I’m not sure what to do for her. You’re close to her, Woo Jin. What should I do?”

“I’m glad that we’re finally discussing this. It’s clear that Soo Yeon hasn’t been doing very well since the break-up with Yuri Liu.  She ended her relationship because she thought it was the best thing for everyone...for Yuri, her family, the group, and for the company. You need to be more flexible with the dating rules, not just for her, but also for the other idols as they enter adulthood.”

“I never forbade Soo Yeon from dating, but dating a girl would be harmful to her career if the press ever found out.”

“To her career...or to SM’s reputation?” questioned Mr. Goh. “You know that Soo Yeon would never intentionally do anything to hurt SM or those she cares about. Can’t you see that she sacrificed her happiness for everyone else? Now she is miserable and it’s starting to affect her health. You still look at her like she is a little girl, but she is a young woman now and needs some semblance of normalcy in her life. She couldn’t help that she fell in love.”

Mr. Lee sighed deeply. “I know, I understand. I had a long talk with Sunkyu about the same thing when she started dating Hyomin. What can we do to help Soo Yeon? Just tell me what I need to do.”

“Just be more understanding, Soo Man. Support her relationship as much as you can. Make sure that those homophobic managers keep their personal opinions to themselves. There needs to be some kind of zero tolerance policy within the company when it comes to this kind of harassment. You know Soo Yeon is not going to flaunt her relationship publicly...she knows how to be discreet and doesn’t need you getting on her for every little thing the media reports. Your PR team can easily spin things your way when needed. You need to let Soo Yeon live her life.”

“There will still be rules to follow, Woo Jin,” replied Mr. Lee.

“Of course, but Soo Yeon needs to know that she has your support. SM has been her second family for more than half of her life.”

“She’s always had my support, but from now on I will be more supportive and help her. First thing tomorrow, I will make it a rule that managers will not be allowed to harass any of the idols regarding their personal relationships. If they do, they will be fired!”

Mr. Goh smiled. “Good, that’s a start. Now the next thing we need to do for Soo Yeon is to find Yuri Liu.”

 

Jung residence

Jessica arrived home from the hospital and was greeted by her mom at the front door. She ran straight into her mother’s arms, broke down and cried. She had a heart to heart talk with her mom and told her everything that had happened including the reason why Yuri left. Mrs. Jung held her daughter close and tried her best to comfort her.

“Don’t worry, Soo Yeon. I know what’s been going on. Daddy and I have been talking with Krystal and Mr. Goh. We were just waiting for you to tell us when you were ready. You really scared your father and me when we heard that you collapsed on stage. I’m just so happy that you’re okay.”

“It hurts so much, mom. I really miss Yuri. I never stopped loving her. She’s ignored all of my calls and texts and even changed her number. Even if she doesn’t want me back in her life, I still want the chance to explain things...to let her know that it was all my fault and that she didn’t do anything wrong.”

"I’m sure she’ll understand when you explain everything to her,” reassured Mrs. Jung, “which means you have to find her and make her listen to you. Follow your heart, Soo Yeon...if you don’t, you will regret it for the rest of your life.”

“I’m scared, mommy. I’m sure I’ve already lost Yuri forever, but if there’s a small chance that we get back together…what about my career and Girls’ Generation? What about you, daddy, and Soo Jung?”

“We’ll be fine. Mr. Goh talked with Mr. Lee, and daddy and I are going to meet with him later to discuss your situation a bit more. Having a daddy who is a lawyer can be pretty helpful, you know. Your career has dictated your life for so long. At some point you have to live your life for you."

Mrs. Jung wiped the tears from Jessica’s eyes and gave her a gentle kiss on the forehead. She stood up from the couch and left the room and returned with a suitcase and three tickets to Los Angeles. “Why three tickets, mom? Are you and daddy coming with me?” Just then Mr. Jung entered the room with Mr. Goh which startled Jessica. “Uncle Goh? Why are you here? Daddy, what’s going on?”

“Mr. Goh and I had a long talk about you and Yuri, Soo Yeon. He told me everything, even about how you first met at the airport in L.A. and what happened on the plane,” her dad replied.

“What? How did…” Before Jessica could finish, Mr. Goh answered. “I was there the entire time, Soo Yeon. I was watching over you. The company would never let you travel alone. I had a bad cold and didn’t want to get you sick, so I watched you from a distance.”

Jessica looked at him with disbelief. “You were there?”

“Yes, I was there. You and Yuri had a special connection from the very beginning. I never saw that with any of the boys you dated. I just want you to be happy, Soo Yeon. Please follow your heart. You have the support of your family and group members…even Mr. Lee. We all want what's best for you."

Jessica hugged her parents and Mr. Goh. “Come on Soo Yeon, let’s go,” her dad said as he grabbed his car keys.  “You have a plane to catch. I’ll drive you and Mr. Goh to the airport. Tiffany is already there waiting for you.”

Jessica hugged her mom once more before leaving the house. Mrs. Jung whispered in her ear, “I love you very much, Soo Yeon. Go find Yuri and be happy.”

During the ride Jessica remained silent. Her mind was spinning with all of the things she wanted to say to Yuri when she saw her. When they arrived at the airport, Mr. Jung walked over and hugged his eldest daughter while Mr. Goh went to grab the luggage from the trunk of the car.

“Does Yuri really make you happy, Soo Yeon?” her father asked sincerely.

“Yes, daddy, more than anyone ever has,” Jessica replied resting her head against her father’s chest. “I love her.”

“That’s all that matters, sweetheart. Your mother and I love you very much. We really like Yuri too. Now go and get her! Hwaiting!” he said as he smiled sweetly at his dear Soo Yeon while a small tear rolled down his face.

“I will, daddy. I love you,” Jessica replied as she bid her father farewell and walked into the terminal with Mr. Goh. She spotted Tiffany waiting by the check-in counter and ran over to meet her. Tiffany reached out and held Jessica’s hand. “I’m so happy for you, Jessi! Now let’s go get your girl!”

As Jessica walked toward the security check line she smiled at Tiffany and Mr. Goh. She took a deep breath and pictured Yuri in her head. I’m going to find you Yuri Liu, and when I do I am never going to let you go!