A MOTHER KNOWS THESE THINGS

Happily Ever After?

Later that evening while lying in bed, Mrs. Jung turned to her husband. “Yeobo, why did you mention Dr. Yang’s daughter to Yuri in front of Soo Yeon?”

“What wrong with what I said? I know Yuri likes women. I overheard Soo Jung talking on the phone with Amber about it at the house a couple of weeks ago. I’m sure Soo Yeon knows about it too. What’s the big deal?”

Mrs. Jung sat up and her bedside lamp. “Do you remember when Soo Yeon told us about staying with Yuri for the week? Didn’t you hear it in her voice…in her words? Don’t you see how your daughter looks at her? She obviously has feelings for Yuri. Are you blind?”

“Soo Yeon always seems to like someone new every time we see her. She’s so fickle,” Mr. Jung replied. “Why is it any different this time? Other than the fact that Yuri is a girl, a very handsome girl I might add…better looking than some of those idiots Soo Yeon dated…she’ll get bored and lose interest soon enough.”

“I don’t know about that, yeobo. There’s something different this time. Besides, I really like Yuri. She’s very sweet and genuine, and seems to care a great deal for Soo Yeon.”

Like her husband, Mrs. Jung never really took a liking to of any boys that Jessica introduced to them. They were either conceited, dumb or showed no respect towards them or to Jessica. She also knew that most of the boys her daughter dated pressured her for , something she didn’t share with her husband to keep him from hunting down and killing each and every one of them.

There was, however, only one boy they had met a few years back that they hoped Jessica would date. He was cute, smart, and respectful. He took Jessica shopping and even helped her pick out outfits to wear. Unfortunately, he was just a friend and wasn’t interested in Jessica. His name was Kim Kibum, aka Key.

 

Sunday

It was still dark outside when Mr. Jung and Yuri left to hit the links leaving Jessica and her mom alone at the house. Mrs. Jung decided to serve breakfast out on the patio which pleasantly surprised Jessica. On the table were some traditional Korean breakfast favorites including rice with red and black beans, vegetable omelet, kimchi, tofu seasoned with soy sauce, and soybean paste stew.

“Wow, mom! This is really nice. What’s the occasion?”

“There’s no occasion. I just wanted to have a nice breakfast with my daughter. It’s been awhile since we’ve spent some quality time together, just you and I. We’ve both been so busy.”

“I know. I’m sorry, mommy. This year has just been so busy with our comeback and promotions. I’ll promise to try and spend more time with you and daddy.”

Jessica sat down with her mom and started to eat. “Oh my God! This is sooo delicious! Too bad Yuri isn’t here to try this.”

“You like her, don’t you?” Mrs. Jung asked bluntly.

Jessica almost choked on her soup. “W-what did you say, mom?”

Mrs. Jung smiled at her now blushing daughter. “Don’t lie to me now, Soo Yeon. I see the way you treat each other…how you look at her...how she looks at you. A mother knows these things.”

Jessica sighed. “I do like her. I’m sorry, mom. I hope you’re not disappointed in me. I know you and daddy had a hard time accepting Soo Jung and Amber being together, so I tried to deny my feelings for Yuri. As much as I’ve tried, I can’t help the way I feel…I really like her.”

“It’s okay, Soo Yeon. You know that part of the reason we moved to the states was so that we could raise our children in a liberal environment. I guess living in Korea for the past 14 years has made us slip back a little to being more conservative,” Mrs. Jung explained. “It’s just that it hit so close to home when your sister told us about her relationship. It took a little time to sink in, but we’re fine with it now especially since Amber treats Soo Jung so well. If you like Yuri, I’m okay with it and I know your father will be too.”

“Are you sure about daddy? He’s harder on me than on Soo Jung.”

“Don’t worry, honey. I will make sure he’s okay with it,” Mrs. Jung said as she hugged her daughter.

Jessica’s mood suddenly became somber. “But it really doesn’t matter how I feel, mom.”

Mrs. Jung listened intently as Jessica filled in all of the details…from the encounter with Yuri at LAX and on the plane...the first dance…the dates…the pseudo break-up…the week together leading up to where they are now. “Yuri isn’t ready to make any kind of commitment right now,” Jessica explained, “especially not with someone who practically lives on the other side of the world.”

“She may have told you that, but her actions speak otherwise,” replied Mrs. Jung. “Yuri is…how do you guys say it nowadays? Oh yeah, she’s into you. Just go for it, sweetheart. What have you got to lose?”

“My self-respect…”

“That doesn’t matter when it comes to love. You’re so much like your father, you know…so stubborn. Just swallow your pride and confess your feelings. Maybe that’s what Yuri needs to hear. If it doesn’t work out, at least you tried. If it does, then that’s wonderful.” Mrs. Jung rested her hand on her daughter’s shoulder. “You’ll regret it if you don’t try, especially if someone else comes along and snatches Yuri away. Someone like her will peak the interest of many girls.”

“Okay, mommy…just give me a few days. I have to think about when and how I’m going to tell her.”

“Aish! You’re so much like you’re father…always planning everything. Sometimes being spontaneous works too, you know.”

Later that afternoon, Yuri and Mr. Jung returned from the golf course. They were paired up against Dr. Yang and his daughter Ji Won, and had won by just three . Mr. Jung was ecstatic after winning and was impressed with Yuri's performance.

Mrs. Jung greeted them at the door. “Yeobo, I can see by your smile that you did well. Are you hungry? Yuri, how about you? Do you want something to eat?”

“No, thank you, aunty,” answered Yuri.

Mr. Jung walked over and hugged his wife. “No, thank you, dear. We ate lunch with Yang and his daughter.” He then went on and on about how they kicked on the golf course and how he and Yuri made a great team.

“I think Ji Won likes you, Lui,” Mr. Jung said as he winked at Yuri. “She was flirting with you and I saw her give you her phone number after lunch. You should call and invite her to the beach house. Her father likes you too. He was very impressed with your knowledge on politics and world affairs, and that you’re also a physician like him. Once you’re in good with a girl’s father, it’s smooth sailing from there on.”

Yuri felt a little embarrassed and stood there smiling awkwardly at Mr. and Mrs. Jung, not quite sure what to say. Jessica was standing in the doorway of the living room glaring at both her dad and Yuri. Mrs. Jung just shook her head in disapproval of her husband’s outbursts. Mr. Jung, on the other hand, didn’t notice that he was getting himself into hot water.

“Ah, Soo Yeon, there you are. Did you know that Yang’s daughter, Ji Won, is in an idol group too? Have you heard of SPICA?” asked Mr. Jung. “Ji Won is a very pretty girl, not as beautiful as my girls of course, but definitely a looker. She’s a great match for Yuri. Don’t you think so, Liu?”

Jessica took one look at her father as an angry tear rolled down her face. She turned around and went to her room and slammed the door behind her. Yuri then excused herself and went to her room.

As Mrs. Jung glared at her husband, he suddenly realized that something was wrong. “What is it, anae? What did I say now?”