WELCOME TO THE FAMILY

Happily Ever After?

Jessica and Yuri caught a flight to Korea later that day with Mr. Goh and Grandma Liu in tow. After getting Grandma Liu settled into a hotel so she could rest after the long flight, Mr. Goh drove the newly engaged couple over to the Jungs’ house.

“Yeobo, we’ll just swing by and say hello to my parents and then we can go to the mall and buy you some clothes. We’ll just stay at my place, okay?” Jessica said to Yuri as she unlocked the front door of her parents’ house. When she opened the door she was startled by her parents, Krystal, Amber, and her Girls’ Generation group mates.

“SURPRISE!!!”

The Jung’s’ living room was filled with balloons and a big banner hung over the couch that read ‘Congratulations Jessica and Yuri!’ The dining room table was filled end to end with all kinds of Korean dishes. Much to Jessica’s surprise, Tiffany was there too. She smiled at her best friend and mouthed the words ‘thank you’ as she held her hand over her heart to which Tiffany nodded and smiled back.

Amber ran up to Yuri and gave her a big hug. “Congratulations, gēge! I’m really happy for you!”

“Thanks, Ambro. Thanks also for calling năinai and explaining everything to her. You really saved my ,” Yuri said and hugged her younger cousin.

“Of course…I’ve always got your back, gēge.”

“Speaking of having my back, I wanted to ask you to be my best man. Or is it best person? Anyway, what do you say, Ambro?”

“I’d be honored, Yuri,” Amber said and smiled.

After countless more congratulatory hugs, all of the girls crowded around Jessica and Yuri leaving a clear path for Mrs. Jung as she walked up and hugged her eldest daughter and her new fiancée. “Congratulations Soo Yeon and Yuri,” she said as a tear rolled down her cheek. “I can’t believe my little girl is all grown up and is going to be a bride. I’m so happy for you both.” Mrs. Jung then reached for Jessica’s left hand. “Now let me see that ring!”

As the girls gathered in the living room to find out the details of the proposal, Sunny walked over to Jessica and tapped her on the shoulder. “Hey, Sica!” she called out to get Jessica’s attention. “Looks like you were wrong.”

“Wrong about what, Sunkyu?”

“It looks like I’m not the first one who’s going to be married like you predicted on that Taxi show.”

Jessica smiled at Sunny. “I may be the first one to get engaged, but you still could be the first one to get married. Your foreign prince and herd of poodles are out there somewhere. It can happen.”

“Well, I still think you’ll get married before me. You’ve you already found your tomboy prince and instead of having a herd of poodles, you’re getting a llama,” Sunny teased as she gestured toward Amber which made everyone laugh.

Jessica immediately countered. “That’s right, I am gaining a llama. Good thing for Soo Jung. Now that I’m going to marry into the Liu family, I can keep an eye on that llama to make sure she treats my sister well.”

Amber turned to her cousin and frowned. “Oh crap! Thanks a lot, gēge.”

“You’re welcome, llama,” Yuri teased. “By the way, Ambro…năinai wants you to bring Krystal to dinner tomorrow night. She wants to meet her.”

Beads of sweat suddenly appeared on Amber’s forehead. “O-okay…dinner with năinai tomorrow. Krys, you ready?”

“Is this the one and only năinai? The matriarch of the Liu family?” Krystal asked clearly intimidated at the thought of meeting Grandma Liu.

“Don’t worry, you two. She just wants to meet Krystal in case there’s another sudden proposal in the future. She said if Krystal is anything like Jessica, she’ll give her approval,” Yuri said to reassure the young couple.

Just then Mr. Goh interrupted the conversation. “Excuse me, everyone. Yuri and Amber…Mr. Jung would like you both to come outside to the patio.” The cousins acknowledged Mr. Goh’s request and followed him.

Meanwhile, Mr. Jung had opened a bottle of his most expensive scotch and poured four glasses to celebrate the occasion. Soon the four of them were standing in a circle out on the patio, glasses of scotch in hand. Mr. Jung then raised his glass. “Welcome to the family, Yuri. Thank you for making my Soo Yeon happy. Just keep it that way, okay? Or else you’ll have to answer to me.”

“…and me too,” replied Mr. Goh.

Yuri gulped and nodded her head in agreement. Amber looked around the yard, avoiding any eye contact with Mr. Jung. She realized that one day that she would be in Yuri’s shoes when she and Krystal were ready to take their relationship to the next level. Although they got along well, she was still a little afraid of him because she knew how protective he was when it came to his girls.

They all touched glasses and downed the scotch which Yuri found surprisingly smooth…while Amber thought it tasted like lighter fluid and cringed. Mr. Jung then walked over to Yuri and put his arm over her shoulder. “Come with me, Yuri. I want to show you something.”

Amber gave Yuri a nervous smile. Good luck, gege. Papa Jung is probably going to show you the gun he’s going to kill you with if you ever hurt Jessica.

Yuri nervously walked with Mr. Jung to the garage. She was surprised and relieved when Mr. Jung unveiled his prized convertible Porsche Carrera Cabriolet. “I remember how much you talked at the beach house about wanting to get one someday. Go check it out.” Yuri excitedly checked out the car from bumper to bumper. “Go ahead, take a seat,” encouraged Mr. Jung.

Yuri sat in the car and admired the luxurious leather interior. She gripped the steering wheel and gently squeezed it. “She’s a beauty, Mr. Jung.”

“Call me dad,” corrected Mr. Jung.

“Y-yes, sir. She’s a beauty, d-dad. Remember when I told you I was saving up to get one of these? Well, it’s going to be a while before that happens.”

“Why is that?

Yuri held up her left hand and tapped on her ring finger. “Because there’s a more important beauty I need in my life right now.”

Mr. Jung smiled and tossed Yuri the keys. “Why don’t you take Soo Yeon for a drive later?”

“Really, sir? I can’t…I just can’t…this is your baby."

“It’s fine, Yuri. I trust that you’ll take good care of my baby…and I’m not talking about the car.”