Why her?

This Love is Infinite

“Sungjong!”

            “What?”

            I covered the receiver a bit, glancing around my surroundings. “Someone knows.”

            I can just see Sungjong’s eyes widen now. “W-What?”

            I told him the story about my monthly thing and the pad suddenly appearing out of nowhere.

            “Hmm…that does seem fishy,” Sungjong remarked. “But no one’s confronted you yet right?”

            I shook my head. “What do I do Sungjong? I haven’t been at this school for a month and I’m already failing you.”

            “It’s okay ______. Let’s see what will happen first. Hang in there ______!”

            I sighed. “Okay oppa. Just for you.”

            I hung up and droopily walked to my class. I was in Algebra 2, sitting next to that guy named Gongchan again.

            “Why the glum face Sungjong?” Gongchan asked me.

            I sighed. “Nothing.”

            At lunch I was eating my lunch quietly while self consciously glancing around the cafeteria every once in a while. I was so paranoid, seriously.

            Kwanghee and this other guy from the drama club named Kevin Woo were talking about an upcoming class play that they wanted to audition for.

            “I was hoping it’d be kind of high school musical-ish, you know? With the forbidden love like Romeo and Juliet or something. But NOOOO, it’s based off of the Salem Witch Trials in the 1600’s! Ugh! How boring! But Director Choi wants me to be the main lead. I did awesome in A Midsummer Night’s Dream last year,” Kevin was boasting.

            Kwanghee looked at him with a competitive expression.

            I paid no heed to these drama freaks as I continuously looked around.

            “Sungjong, is something the matter? You look really….jumpy?” Key said.

            I snapped out of it. “S-Sorry. Must’ve had too much sugar this morning heheehehehehehe.”

            The guys stared at me and I quailed back, sinking back into my sandwich.

            Suddenly a shadow loomed over me and my eyes widened as my heart pounded faster.

            *H-He’s here….he’s here to expose me in front of the whole cafeteria….goodbye cruel world, goodbye roommates, goodbye my chances of dating a boy from this school, goodbye-

            “Sungjong-ah.”

            I blinked and turned around. My eyes widened.

            “L-L h-hyung?!” I exclaimed.

            “Why are you so pale?” he asked me.

            “O-Oh…..I-I-I just….u-uh….didn’t get a lot of sleep last night, that’s all,” I replied shakily.

            “Riiiggghht,” L said sarcastically. “Anyways, the guys want to know if you want to go to the mall after school.”

            “The mall?”

            “Yeah. Homecoming dance is coming up and they all wanna get dates. Won’t be too hard for Woohyun or Sunggyu, of course.” L rolled his eyes. “Are you coming?”

            “S-Sure!” I said without hesitation.

            “Hey! What about us?” Key asked.

            “YEAH!” they all cried in unison.

            L raised a brow and I just shrugged.

            After the bell rang he and I walked to English together. It was kind of like a routine now. I could slowly feel his cold, icy heart melting and opening up to me. It made me feel really, really good. And for some reason, I started feeling butterflies in my stomach.

            Butterflies.

            I think I’ve heard that before. I heard Sungjong talk about it once but I forgot what it meant.

            Eh, I’ll ask him later.

            L didn’t mind me sitting next to him in class and I even asked him what kind of books he was reading.

            “Harry Potter,” he replied.

            “Oooo which one? I’ve read all of them,” I boasted, grinning.

            “The first one, I just started the series,” L replied. Then he yawned. “I got bored.”

            “WHAT? How can you get bored? It’s HARRY POTTER! The boy who lived!” I exclaimed.

            “Yeah, yeah, yeah,” L mumbled, waving me off.

            “Well finish it! Before the school year ends!” I said. “If you don’t I’m gonna, I’m gonna….”

            L smirked at me. “Do what? Bite me?” he chuckled at his own joke.

            “No! I’m gonna….I’m gonna hit you! That’s what I’m gonna do!”

            “Psh whatta .”

            “I’m serious,” I said, mimicking his pokerface.

            “Yeah, whatever,” L said dully.

            “You promise?” I held out my pinky.

            L glanced at my pinky and gave me a look. “Seriously? You’re making me pinky promise you?”

            I nodded and held out my pinky towards him.

            L sighed and intertwined his pinky into mine, doing the whole I-can’t-believe-I’m-doing-this face.

            I smiled and prepared for silent reading.

            *I hope he keeps his promise*

 

 

            After school that day L and I met up with the Infinite Boys at the dorm room. We all got changed into casual clothes and headed over to the mall together.

            “I want a girl who has long hair,” Woohyun was saying, “and with a pretty smile.”

            “She must have a kind heart,” added Sungyeol.

            “It’d be nice if she was athletic,” Hoya sighed.

            Dongwoo was too busy with his Nintendo DS and Sunggyu was too busy fixing his hair to say anything.

            “What kind of girls do you like, L hyung?” I asked him.

            L thought about it for a bit and then said, “Girls with long wavy hair, who is pure and innocent.”

            *Hmm….maybe I should wave my hair the next time I see him as a girl…*

            I secretly smiled at the thought.

            “What are you so giggly about Sungjong?” Sunggyu asked.

            “Hehe nothing,” I said nonchalantly.

            The 7 of us walked around the mall and sat down at a café. A waitress with long brown hair chewing gum walked by and Woohyun whistled.

            Oh, that flirt.

            At the end of the day a couple of the guys got dates. Dongwoo didn’t seem to care though, he was too busy with his video game to even look at a girl.

            L didn’t care. Because everyone knew who his heart belonged to.

            “Are you going to ask Woori to the homecoming dance?” I asked him on the way back to the school.

            L shrugged. “I’m not sure. Maybe….”

            I nodded in acknowledgement.

            “What about you?” L asked.

            “O-Oh…um….I’m probably not going,” I replied.

            “Why not?”

            I shrugged. “No date? Hehe.”

            L nodded in response.

            “Dude you should totally ask Sungjong’s sister!” Sunggyu said. “Woori’s a college student, I mean seriously, ______ is perfect!”

            “N-No I don’t think it’s a-

            “Then it’s settled. Sungjong, when can we see your sister again?” Sungyeol asked.

            “U-U-Uh….”

            “Wait don’t APink girls usually hang out at that diner after school?” Woohyun asked.

            “Yeah! We’ll find her there! Thanks Sungjong!”

            “I-I didn’t say-

            But the boys have already made up their minds as they headed out the mall and towards the diner down the street.

            * *

            I was panicking, wondering what to do. What will Sungjong say when the Infinite Boys ask him to be L’s date to homecoming? I needed to think of something and fast.

            “We’re here! You nervous Myungsoo, you nervous?” Woohyun asked him. “She might be your first real girlfriend!”

            I gasped. “You’ve never had a girlfriend before?”

            “Why are you so surprised?” L asked me.

            “W-Well b-because you’re so…..” I couldn’t say how much I was attracted to him as a guy.

            “It’s not because no girl has ever liked little Myungsoo, it’s because he’s never had the momentum to ever date anyone besides Woori. And she’s not that great,” Sungyeol explained.

            L rolled his eyes again. I could tell that he was resisting the urge to hit Sungyeol in the face again. Their fight has still not been resolved.

            Suddenly, I had an idea.

            “LOOK! There’s ______! C’mon L, let’s go!” Dongwoo gave L a little push.

            .

            I dashed over to where Sungjong was sitting and grabbed him into the girl’s bathroom.

            “_______? What are you doing here?!” Sungjong gasped.

            “Hurry up and give me your clothes! We have to change back as soon as possible!” I exclaimed.

            “W-What? Why?”

            “Because the boys want L to go to homecoming with me – but you’re dressed as me! So hurry up so I can get my date!”

            Sungjong and I changed as fast as lightening and headed back outside where the Infinite Boys were asking where I was.

            Chorong gave me a strange look but I just shook my head.

            “Awww here she is!” Sungjong said, emphasizing my entrance.

            “________!” the guys said.

            “Hello again,” I replied with a little wave.

            “You remember Myungsoo over here, right?” Woohyun asked me, pushing L up to where I was.

            “Hyung,” L snapped. “I don’t think-

            “Shut up. Anyways, he has something to ask you. C’mon Myungsoo, ask her,” Woohyun urged.

            L stood there, blinking in pure confusion as he faced me.

            “Um….you should say something,” Sungyeol hissed.

           L looked at me and I stood there, heart pounding, wondering what he’d say. He gave me a look again, a look that told me, “I don’t want to do this. Help me.”

            But as I stared into his eyes, reading this, I suddenly felt my heart break. Because I knew that this wasn’t what he wanted.

            I wasn’t what he wanted.

            “U-Um….I gotta go. I’ll see you later, Sungjong oppa.” I ran out of there, trying so hard not to look back at L’s expression. What was I thinking? What was I getting my hopes up for? I knew he liked Woori a lot yet I still thought that I could have a chance with him.

            How could I be so pathetic?

            I wasn’t crying, but I was definitely confused as well as a little bit hurt. Especially since Woori was my enemy. He was choosing her over me. What did she have that I didn’t have?

            Sungjong asked me what was wrong that day but I told him nothing. I also told him that he might need to be the boy for a while longer because I had some “errands” to attend to. But deep down inside, I just knew that I couldn’t face L, or any other of the Infinite Boys.

 

            L laid there on his bed one night, unable to sleep. He hasn’t been unable to sleep in forever. What could be bothering him?

            You.

            Images of you and your smiling face flashed into his mind again and again. L couldn’t take it anymore as he shot up and shook his head, trying to erase any trace of you from his mind.

            “Why am I thinking about her?” L asked himself. He looked down at the bunk below him where Sungjong was sleeping. “And why is he still here?”

            Things have been lonelier since the day at the diner. And L was pretty sure why. Frustrated, he picked up a Harry Potter book and started reading.

            But that made him think about you even more.

            Let’s just say, Kim Myungsoo didn’t sleep very well that night.

A/N: so myungsoo knows too ;o