What His Voice Sounds Like

This Love is Infinite

Listen to: S.H.E - Zen Me Ban

 

The next day, classes were finally starting. I woke up early as recommended, and quickly brushed my hair as I hid under the blankets while doing so. I tied my hair up and adjusted my wig.

            I cleared my throat. “E-hem, testing, 1, 2, 3.” Satisfied with my much deeper voice, I got up from under the covers. I grabbed my school uniform – which was required to wear during school hours (after classes ended the school allowed students to wear normal clothes) – and headed over to the bathroom halls to get changed.

            A couple of students were already up because of sports practice, but paid no heed to me as I dashed into a stall and got changed.

            When I went back to the dorm room a few members were already up.

            “Where’d you go Sungjong?” Hoya asked me in a somewhat friendly tone.

            “Bathroom, hehe,” I replied as I put my pajamas away.

            “Can you wake Myungsoo up? The guy sleeps like an old dog,” Sunggyu murmured.

            I nodded. “Sure!” I climbed up the ladder of the bunk bed just so I could barely see L’s beautiful….handsome…face….

            L suddenly moved around in his sleep and I immediately snapped out of it. I mentally slapped myself.

            *STOP. STARING. AT. HIM.*

            I exhaled and lightly tapped L on the shoulder. “H-Hyung,” I started. God, it felt weird calling someone hyung. “Wake up, it’s time for school.”

            L rolled around in his sleep, his eyes still closed.

            “He’s a deep sleeper,” Sungyeol said. “Here, I’ll show you how to wake him up.”

            Sungyeol climbed onto L’s bunk and grabbed his shoulders. Then he pulled him up to sit forward and wiggled him around while yelling, “WAKE UP YOU LAZY !”

            L opened one eye and then the other slowly. He glared at Sungyeol, a glare that seemed so menacing that it even scared me from afar. Sungyeol, however, didn’t seem phased by it and just merely smacked him on the head.

            “You know, I really do wonder what tires you all day to make you sleep so much,” Sungyeol remarked, jumping off of L’s bunk.

            L rolled his eyes and kicked off the covers from his bed.

            “You guys seem close,” I remarked to Sungyeol.

            “Nahh, I hate him,” he replied.

I shrugged and was still standing on the ladder, just mindlessly watching L get up, when he suddenly met eyes with me. He stared deep into my eyes, as if he was observing me or something. The truth was I was so lost in his stare that I’d forgotten that I was supposed to be called Lee Sungjong.

            “Lee Sungjong…yah, Lee Sungjong!”

            I snapped out of it and turned around. “W-WHAT?”

            “Who do you have for homeroom?” Dongwoo asked me.

            “U-Uh...Mrs. Choi, I think,” I said.

            “Dude, are you…blushing?” Dongwoo questioned.

            “H-Huh?” I touched my red hot cheek.

            I heard L chuckle behind me.

            “Guys school starts in 10! Get your butts out of bed or imma drag you guys to school in briefs!” Sunggyu ordered.

            I didn’t want to have Sunggyu do that to me so I changed pretty quickly. But all the while, I started to ponder as to what L’s voice sounded like.

Listen to: Infinite - Entrust

 

          

Throughout the day I had classes with a couple of the Infinite boys every now and then. But none with L. I’ve still yet to ask them about their whole title of being ‘the ultimate kingkas of the school’. But for now yes, I’ll refer to them as the infinite boys.

            Anywho, it was lunchtime. If it were any other day at my old school, me and my friends would all sit together under a tree and eat lunch together, or we’d leave school and walk to the nearest café.

            But this was like the first day at a new school, where I was supposed to be acting like my older brother, Lee Sungjong. I held my tray of food, scanning the cafeteria for other options.

            “I guess I’ll go sit with the drama freaks,” I mumbled to myself.

            Suddenly someone bumped into me and I would’ve fell and spilled food all over myself if it weren’t for someone catching me. I opened my eyes and found myself face to face with L.

            “Sorry!” the guy who’d bumped into me said in the distance.

            However, I definitely wasn’t paying any attention to the guy’s apology as I stared at L, who had his head turned to the side as he watched my assailant walk away. His jaw line…and his nose….and his eyes….

            L straightened me up and walked away without any eye contact.

            “W-Wait!” I said.

            But L didn’t turn back and I sighed as I walked over to the drama freak table.

            “Lee Sungjong!” Jo Kwon snapped at me when I came over and sat down.

            “What?” I asked dully.

            “First Nam Woohyun and Lee Sungyeol, and now L?!” Kwanghee cried.

            “Do you guys always overreact?” I questioned, pouring some dressing over my salad.

            “We don’t overreact! We just state the facts in an overly enthusiastic way,” Key stated. “Anyways, Sungjong-ah, you should get close to them and then report to us every stupid thing that they say and do.”

            “Yah, I’m not like that, okay? And isn’t that just like Mean Girls?” I asked. “And what’s so bad about them anyways? They’re nice to me.”

            “They’re freaking stuck up!” Jo Kwon exclaimed.

            “Are you sure you’re not just jealous?” I asked with a smirk.

            “Psh! Jealous?! Who’d be jealous of them?” Kwanghee scoffed.

            *You guys obviously are*

            So I finished lunch with the drama queens in one piece, amazingly. During the last class of the day – which was AP English – I went in and surprisingly saw L sitting there, reading a book.

            *He’s in one of my classes?*

            I bit my lip to hide back my smile and went over to sit next to him.

            “Hi, L hyung-nim. I guess we have a class together,” I said.

            L gave me a ‘no ’ look and I suddenly felt really stupid. Maybe I shouldn’t have said the last part…

            “U-Um, anyways, so are you good at English?” I asked.

            L glared at me and got up from his seat. He took his backpack and sat in another seat at the back of the class, far away from me.

            “I was being friendly…,” I said to myself. “Does he have something against Sungjong?” I looked back at L who’d continued reading his book in silence. “Or maybe I’d interrupted his reading…”

            *Ugh I’d obviously interrupted his reading, how could I be so stupid?!*

            I wanted to bang my head on the table but restrained myself because I didn’t want to feel more stupid than I already did.

            English class started and our teacher was named Mr. Kim Heechul. He was really eccentric and he kept giving me weird looks throughout class.

            “Class if over, I’ll see you guys tomorrow,” Mr. Kim said.

            I packed up my things and walked out of the classroom. As I was, I passed Mr. Kim and he gave me a scary smirk.

            , don’t tell me he found out.

            Anyways, I practically ran out of there back to my dorm room. No one was there at the moment and my phone rang.

            “Sungjong?”

            “Hey ______! Did you just get out of school?” Sungjong asked me over the phone.

            I nodded. “Yup. Did you?”

            “Yeah. So ready to hear my side with the Infinite Boys?”

            I sat on my bed and hugged my Totoro pillow. “I’m all ears.”

            “Kay. So, the Infinite Boys used to just be Sunggyu, Woohyun, Howon, and Dongwoo since they’d all met each other during freshman year. But soon during softmore year Sungyeol and Myungsoo were added to the group. Then they became 6.”

            “I already know that,” I said, “but why is their group named after the school?”

            “Because Sunggyu’s mother is the headmaster. Whoever are friends with him, or anybody in that group for that matter, is officially liked by her and the school. Kim Sunggyu’s probably been at the school the longest, so many people deeply respect him. The Infinite Boys never disappoint though. They’re all good at sports, supreme in academics, and are popular with the girls. They all have infinite talents. The name suits them well enough.

            “Or maybe the name was just automatically given to them, since they all hang out so much and are the most good looking guys at the school. Haha…the Infinite Boys. Ha! I wouldn’t want to be one though, too many expectations, it’s definitely not my style.”

            *Too bad, you’re basically considered one now*

            “Do you have any history with them or anything?” I asked.

            “Not really. Never got really involved with them much. I had some classes with some of the guys here and there, but nothing else,” Sungjong replied.

            “Hm…I see.” I bit my lip and hesitated to ask but did it anyways. “Do you know anything about L?”

            “The Myungsoo kid?”

            I nodded. “Yes.”

            “Why are you asking, _______? Are you that attracted to him already?” Sungjong laughed.

            “N-No! He just…seems really quiet and mysterious and I just want to know more about him…that’s all.” I tried to ignore the fact that I was blushing again.

            “Well all I know is that he actually used to talk and then junior year happened and he just got quieter. I think it had to do with a girl? I don’t know, I got this information solely based from rumors you know.” Sungjong sighed. “Are you satisfied, little sister?”

            “A girl?” I asked myself.

            “Now don’t get all too depressed about that. A pretty girl like you can definitely win his heart. I mean, you are my little sister of course. Who wouldn’t want to date you?” Sungjong was saying.

            “Yah! Who said I wanted to date him? He hasn’t even said a word to me since I came,” I mumbled. “Plus, he thinks I’m a guy. A good looking guy like him is obviously straight.”

            “Whatever. Think whatever you like. However, I wouldn’t mind if Kim Myungsoo was your first boyfriend, just saying.” Sungjong giggled at the thought.

            “YAH! Shut up!”

            Sungjong laughed and said, “Talk to you later little sis, time for operation Bomi Day 2. Are you going to be okay?”

            I nodded. “Don’t worry about me.”

            “Cool. Bye!”

            Sungjong hung up and I rested on the bed. Why was I dressing up as a boy again? Oh yeah, to make my older brother happy and to help him succeed with the girl that he likes. Aish the things that I do for the people I love.

Listen to: Infinite - Can U Smile?

           

 

Suddenly the door opened and I sat up in shock, banging my head on the bottom of the top bunk in the process.

            “Ow, ow, ow ,ow, ow!” I said, rubbing my head.

            I looked up through the bangs of my wig and saw none other than L standing by the front of the room, his backpack slung over one shoulder.

            He smirked and threw his backpack onto his bunk. He went over to his closet and took off his shirt as he changed into a more casual shirt. I eyed him from the corner of my eye, suddenly forgetting about the throbbing pain on the top of my head as I watched him slide his shirt onto his fit…toned…body…..

            . Thank god he didn’t change his pants.

            I rubbed the boo boo on my head and straightened up. “S-So…u-um…do you know where the others are?”

            L shrugged and sat down at the desk, starting on some homework, and not saying a word.

            “Can you say something?” I asked politely.

            L continued to focus on his homework, keeping on that poker face of his.

            I bit my lip and said quietly, “Can you smile?

            L stopped writing and looked at me for a brief moment, then turned back to his homework, still not saying anything.

            I sighed. “I really wonder what your voice sounds like…,” I mumbled quietly.

            L seemed like he heard me, but he didn’t look at me. Then he began to do his work again like nothing happened and I hid my head in embarrassment at my fail.

            That night I laid there with my long hair tied back in a ponytail and with my wig off, not sleeping well. I decided to get up and go to the bathroom but was too lazy to put on my wig again so I slipped on a loose hat and headed out to the bathroom halls. Hopefully I’d be somewhat sleepy on the walk back.

            I took a piss, washed my face, and headed back to the dorm room. When I opened the door I was surprised to find someone lazily walking out.

            “Omo!” He bumped into me and knocked me over onto my back as he fell on top of me. My hat fell off and my back hurt from the impact on the floor.

            I blew the bangs out of my eyes and opened them, finding none other than L on top of me. He was mumbling something incoherently.

            *Is he sleep walking?*

            “Hyung, hyung are you okay?” I asked.

            L slowly rose up and lifted his face above mine. He opened his eyes a bit and that was when I realized that he looking at me as a girl.

            AS A GIRL!

            In a rush of panic I pushed L off of me and the back of his head hit the wall. I grabbed my hat and dashed inside, trying to put on my wig as fast as possible. I ran back to where L was and dragged him back into the dorm and locked the door. Suddenly the lights flickered on and Sungyeol said, “Sungjong, is that you?”

            “U-Uh y-yeah!”

            “.” Sungyeol got out of his bunk and rushed over to me. The other members stirred around but paid no attention to the scene. This must’ve happened before.

            “Someone forgot to lock the door to the dorm room,” Sungyeol murmured, helping L back up onto his bunk. It was quite hard, since L slept on the top bunk.

            “Sungjong-ah, just for the night can Myungsoo sleep on your bed? It’s too tiring to throw him up there,” Sungyeol said.

            “Sure!” I said, more than happy to sleep on L’s bed for one night.

            Sungyeol practically threw L onto my bed and said, “He only occasionally sleep walks, usually when he has a lot of things on his mind. Hmm…I wonder what caused him to think so much.”

            “Yeah,” I replied quietly. “I wonder…”

            “Make sure to always lock the door to the dorm room, to prevent anything,” Sungyeol instructed. “Araso?”

            I nodded. “Arasoyo.”

            Sungyeol yawned, turned off the light, and went to bed. I climbed onto L’s bunk and looked around in awe. He had a couple of stuffed animals here and there and it smelled like…like an L? I don’t know how to describe it, but it made me tingly inside ^_^

            “Goodnight…Myungsoo,” I said with a small giggle as I pulled L’s covers up to my neck. It’s weird because I should be worrying about whether L recognized me as a girl or not instead of giggling like an idiot on his bed.

            *He was sleep walking anyways, he won’t remember a thing*

            I randomly turned my head over to the side and saw Hoya staring at me. He was staring at me like I had something to hide.

            Like I had a secret O_O

            But then he turned back around and went back to sleep. I shook off those shivers off of my back and went to sleep as well, with L sleeping soundlessly below me.