Knock on Wood

Speak to Me

     I observe the diary page which was neatly ripped out and had to confirm with Lay once again, “So this was mailed to you? Specifically you?”

 

     He ponders for a while, “Not specifically me, but my group members. I know that some of them were in Zelo's group during the conference a few years back.”

 

     After recalling the memory from the times when we were still teenagers, that was when the light bulb sparked into my head. Although I was beginning to get suspicious, I continue to play along and act curious, “What are the names of your fellow members?”

 

     Lay turns to the great amount of people standing behind him, and names each and one of them, pointing to them as he calls their names, “You met Kai, but this is Suho, Baekhyun, Kyungsoo, Chanyeol, Sehun, Xiumin, Chen, Tao, and Luhan.”

 

     Not going to tell me who exactly were Zelo's roommates, are you?

 

     “Nice too meet you all,” I smile and give a slight bow for all of them as they respectfully bow back and smile as well.

 

     “Anyway,” Lay says coming closer and lowering his voice's volume, “I wanted to talk to you today so I could show you this letter. There's too many people here today, so I think we should continue discussing this in a more secluded place, if that's alright with you.”

 

     “That sounds perfect,” I respond. “Where do you want to meet?”

 

     “There's an alleyway next to the K building five blocks away from where you live. Go into the alleyway, and there will be stacks of boxes. Move the boxes, and it'll reveal a door, and that's where we will meet.”

 

     “Alright, see you in two days?”

 

     “Perfect."

++

 

     The next day at the dining table felt like the number of people gone increased by ten when actually Jongup was the only one who was missing. Despite this empty feeling, I continued to think about how something felt off in the discussion with Lay from the birthday party last night.

 

     I remember, slightly, back to the conference. Tablo, the conference's director's angry expression, telling Jongup that there were no such people with the names of the people in Jongup and Zelo's group.

 

What were there names again?

 

     Instead of touching my deliciously made dinner meal, I place both of my elbows onto the table and put my hands together, trying to remember who Jongup's group members were. I'm pretty sure that at least one or two of them are in Lay's group, because Lay could have just pointed out specifically who the group members who received the mail were. There was no need for me to meet all of his subordinates.

 

     I glance over at Daehyun and the sight of him disgustingly devouring the variety of raw fish on his plate made my face scrunch into a not so lady-like face. Daehyun feels my judgment upon him, looks towards my direction and tries to imitate my disgusted face at him, “What are you looking at?”

 

     The urge to uselessly rant about how Daehyun looked disgusting, ate disgustingly, and is disgusting in general was too great for me, and since I have been receiving more than an usual amount of stress, I wanted to vent out my anger upon him by having a nice long useless argument, but I was able to maintain myself and just told Daehyun to shut up as I continued to focused on the real problem as I close my eyes and shut myself away from the guys to concentrate.

 

     Fei, Min, Suzy.. .Fei Min Suzy...

 

     I think back to yesterday night, trying to remember all the names that were spat into my ears in which I did not even have a conscious to pay attention to. I think hard, harder than when I took my final tests in high school. I put much more effort into trying to remember the names of random strangers than remembering the formula for photosynthesis.

 

     Suho.... Yea, Suho... Chanyeol? No...

 

     My eyebrows were furrowed so much that if I scrunch my face even closer it would look like I have a uni brow or some kind of conjoined eyebrows. My eyes were squeezed shut tight as I put all my focus onto –

 

     “Fei, Min, Suzy, Suho, Tao, Chen!” I shoot off from my chair and scream after feeling very much accomplished and proud, remembering something from so long ago. On the other hand, the rest of my subordinates were looking at me as if I was some sort of pitiful lottery winner.

 

     “Explain,” Yongguk speaks up after about three minutes of awed silence. I sit myself back down, lowering my voice to room level.

 

     “Suzy, Min, Fei, Suho, Chen, Tao – Suho, Chen Tao,” I repeat the names, “Those people were Zelo and Jongup's roommates back at the conference. The roomantes that did not show up on the list.”

 

     It's funny, really. In the past when any one of us said some sort of nonsense to the others, the rest of us would turn to Youngjae to confirm (since he was the smartest one). Although his presence was lacking in these past three years, everyone's old habits kicked back in and the rest of my subordinate's heads face our very own, Yoo Youngjae.

 

     Youngjae, on the other hand, seemed lost and forgotten in these memories and even became a bit intimidated with everyone's eyes looking into his. Having the pressure to answer quickly, he nods his head in a confusing way. Good thing he did, or else I would've cursed him out when he desn't even know the answer himself.

 

     The rest of the guys look back at me to let me continue on my explaation. I roll my eyes and explain, “Back at the conference, Yoo Jaewook brought some peole with him. Zelo's roommate’s names didn't appear on the name list. His roommate's name were Suho, Chen, and Tao. And guess what Lay's subordinate's names are?”

 

     “So you're saying that Lay and his group are related to Youngjae's dad,” Yongguk clarifies.

 

     “Yes I am.”

 

     “Now it seems sketchy that Lay wants to meet you,” Daehyun comments.

 

     “Exactly. But we will still go.”

 

     Their eyes open in a little bit of shock, “We are?” They ask in unison –except for Youngjae.

 

     Despite the worried and anxious looks on their faces, a smirk forms onto my lips, “Yes, we are. Besides, What should we be so afraid of? Worse case scenario: they're cops.”

 

 

     I should have knocked on wood.

 


 

**a little bonus for my lovely readers:

 

A knock comes in from outside of Youngjae's door. Before he could even respond with a single syllable, the door opens and in comes Jongup's presence which Youngjae couldn't help but find annoying.

 

“What do you want?” Youngjae asks, clearly showing the discomfort in his voice. The two of them established their relationship as somewhat enemies, and even though they are subordinates under the same boss, they still hate each other.

 

“I'm off to college next week,” Jongup replies with the same annoyance.

 

“Why are you telling me this?”

 

“Just wanted to remind you that you don't have an advantage just because I'm going to be more distant from Saehee.”

 

“I think I do--”

 

“You don't.”

 

Jongup's irritating attitude finally got to Youngjae who always tried to maintain himself from beating the life out of Jongup. He stood up from his chair and placed his toes nearly an inch against Jongup's, glaring at him straight in the eye.

 

“What makes you think you have an advantage?” Youngjae asks with his gritted teeth.

 

“I was the one who stayed with her through her hardest times; the hardest times you caused.”

 

Youngjae scoffs, “Your theory is invalid. She may be grateful, but she won't fall for you.”

 

“I'll make her, then. How are you so confident?” Jongup harshly pushes Youngjae away from him. The small amount of space between the two of them was bothering the heck out of Jongup. He can't stand the presence of this bastard. This bastard who Saehee still likes.

 

Youngjae smirks, “You're jealous.”

 

Jongup couldn't let his feelings become obvious, “Why can't you just go back to your dad and die?”

 

“-- Holy , what is going on in here?” Daehyun asks with surprised open eyes, overhearing the conversation when he saw Youngjae's door open.

 

“Daehyun, leave.” They both order, only to be irritated at themselves and each other for saying the same thing at the same time.

 

“No, no. Do not fret my brothers,” Daehyun says, calmly swaying towards Youngjae's desk and sits onto his chair, “I'm just going to sit tight right here and observe, carry on.”

 

Youngjae couldn't muster up any words, he always felt uncomfortable sharing personal things or conversations like this, especially with an idiot like Daehyun who does nothing but bring trouble. Jongup realizes after the long amount of silence and looking at Youngjae's frustrated and worried expression. He takes advantage of that and decides that he was going to win this conversation.

 

“I like Saehee, and there will be nothing you can do to stop it,” Jongup goes first. Out comes a loud gasp from Daehyun. Youngjae glares towards his direction, and Daehyun raises his hand, nonchalantly asking Youngjae to just excuse him, and that he won't make any more noise.

 

“Go ahead and like her all you want,” Youngaje decides to ignore Daehyun and gains his confidence to reply to Jongup, “Do all you can, since I know that you'll eventually give up in the end.”

 

“Ohh,” Daehyun hums.

 

“ing Daehyun get out of this room right now!” Both Youngjae and Jongup once again yell together. The two of them become even more furious, once again at each other and at themselves.

 

Daehyun gets up from his seat, “Okay, here's what I think: First of all, if you guys kick me out of this room right now, I'm not afraid to go to Saehee and tell her that you guys are not getting along. --Possibly even telling her this conversation between you guys.”

 

The two of them stay quiet and glare at Daehyun, that being the only thing they can do in this situation.

 

“Second of all, I'll be totally honest with you guys: Saehee was my first crush. I know how it feels to like Saehee. I used to have sincere feelings for her too. But you guys need to realize that Saehee is our boss. She knows everything. She may not know about you two right now, but she eventually will. And you guys will probably agree with me that if she finds about your guys' hate towards each other, be ready to say 'adios amigos' to your asses because you guys will be long gone from this place –Saehee will not have the time and energy to put up with your guys' crap.”

 

Their glares towards Daehyun avert to each other. They don't say it out loud but the two of them are secretly cursing Daehyun since an idiot like him is actually making sense for the first time.

 

“And third, this was an amusing conversation to watch. That is all. But sleep together if that makes you guys any closer. It always works with me and Somi –if you know what I mean, eh?” He wiggles his eyebrows.

 

“You're nasty,” Jongup says.

 

    “Get out of my room, now.”

 

        “Good night, Yoo Youngjae and Moon Jongup. I expect great results from the two of you!” Daehyun skips out the door, into his own room.

 

 


 

A/N: I would like to take this time and just express how loved I feel whenever I update. I never felt this story was good enough, and I know I still have long ways to go with my errors, but your encouraging comments really made my day and just made me realize how I love each and every one of my readers. -- I LOVE Y'ALL. 
 
I know most of you guys have felt this story coming to an end, and the sad(?) reality is that it is. BUT DO NOT FRET. I have more stories in mind for the future. In fact, I already have two planned out. But I'm not the kind of author who can keep more than one ongoing stories. (you could tell since I'm already having difficulty frequently updating this one). I don't know which story to upload first, so I want to see what you guys think. I have two forewords written out, and if you guys are willing to take your time and read the two forewords&voting which story you want to go first, it will be greatly appreciated.
 
So click a title, whichever you feel like reading first: 
 
 
If you're done reading both, click here to vote. 
Arigatou I love you guys very mucho mucho.
 

tumblr_n6i4klPg2G1s2a3gvo1_250.giftumblr_n6i4klPg2G1s2a3gvo2_250.gif i see no difference.