A Sudden Surprise

Speak to Me

     It didn't take long (specifically five days) for Himchan to come back and drop on his knees to the cold marble floor, begging me for forgiveness and that “this is the only place where his true family is,” and that “these past days living alone were practically living in hell."

     Personally, it feels like he's just whining like a little baby so I roll my eyes at his sober story, for it did not to any good for the both of us. It sounded like he was over exaggerating, and I wasn't buying it. If I had to be honest, I still feel unforgiving of Himchan for killing one of my most precious friends. But actually, deep inside me I'm a bit frightened around his presence. I find it shocking how that sweet eye smile turned into a monstrous glare, and whenever I look into his eyes I can see nothing but the scary hatred he beamed into Eunhae's eyes.

     But still, there was that tiniest feeling of acceptance. Maybe it's because I didn't bother to see or hear about him, but it feels as if his normal, caring aroma was coming back. It'd probably take a few more days and punishments for me to fully see him the way I used to. But since sooner or later he will end up taking a step into my house again, I figured that sooner is better than later.

 

     What really ticked me off was when it came to me that Himchan had the audacity to play one of his stupid tactics on his very own boss, me, that is. Most of his reason for wanting him to come back was because he wanted to attend Hyosung's younger sister's birthday party being held tomorrow. “Wants to attend with the group he loves the most” was his stupid excuse when I asked him why he just couldn't go alone.

     “Let it go,” says Yongguk. I scoff. More like, let out my gun.

     I hate to admit it, but even though Himchan pisses me off in every way possible, I missed the happy (I say “happy,” but it's more like “annoying.” ) atmosphere, and secretly kept to myself that I was sort of glad to have our constantly nagging Himchan back. This feeling of wanting to fix Himchan's stupidity by somehow violently violating him reminded me how I enjoyed how we used to be, and how we should become again.

 

     The next day came along and we were all fancied up, and were on our way to Hyosung's mansion just a few blocks away from ours. Although we we're suppose to be excited for all the fun (I suppose) that was about to come, I was more anxious to meet Lay again. The last time I saw him was at the conference and have not heard from or about him since them. What does he have to show me regarding Youngjae's dad?

     We arrived at our destination and one by one make our way out from the limo door. From where we were standing we saw people in the backyard wearing expensive silk dresses and suits. Round tables were set up everywhere, string lights were hanging from tree to tree, and heat lamps were standing bewteen tables to keep everyone warm from the chilly night. The sun was setting and went well with all the tall tress and plants surrounding Hyosung's backyard.

     Her maids led us to our table as we walked across the marble floor. My eyes searched all around the massive crowd, and successfully spotted Hyosung and her sister, I assume, since she was wearing a tiara on top of her long, maroon hair.

     Hyosung waves to us, but her sister, name being Jieun, pushed Hyosung aside and speeds off first. We watch her push through the crowd that was in between us as if she had to greet us this instant, or else she wouldn't be able to live.

     “,” I hear Yongguk muttering as we see Jieun now only a few feet from us, and I realize after having a sense of Yongguk's nervousness and seeing him let out a loud gulp that the reason for Jieun's hurried sprint was to jump into Yongguk's arm and give him one (disturbingly) long and sloppy kiss.            Yongguk's, along with the rest of our eye's were wide open, my jaw literally dropping to the floor as well.

     Jieun lets Yongguk breathe, but keeps her arms around his neck to keep their faces close together.

     “Oppa, do you have any idea how much I missed you?” She says in a whiny tone.

     “Song Jieun,” was all Yongguk had to say for Jieun to give up and let go, her pout going down even lower.

     “Come on, it's my birthday,” she mumbles.

     Yongguk sighs and takes the gift we got for which was in Himchan's hands, and gives the gift to Jieun, “Happy birthday.”

     “Thank you,” Jieun accepts with her lips still frowning. Yongguk rolls his eyes at her childish behavior and gives in, “If you manage to not get all over me for an hour and thirty minutes, I'll have a dance with you.”

     Her face immediately brightens and she makes Yongguk do a childish pinky promise with her. Activating the promise right away, she turns her back and skips away to wait for the dance with Yongguk.

     “I can't believe that Jieun is still obsessed with you even after all these years, “Himchan snaps.

     My eyebrows raise, “Someone's jealous.”

     “It's fine,” Yongguk purposely ignores my previous statement, “She's still young. Jieun will learn, sometime soon. Let's just go get some food, I'm starving.”

     We all proceed to sit at our table and Himchan continues his grumbling, “She should be old enough to know already.”

     A smirk forms onto my lips, someone's jealous.

 

     After everyone finished eating, Jongup announced between the six of us that he had a surprising annoucement to make.

     “I'm going to college,” he “announces.”

     “Yea, we already all know that – no need to rub it in our faces,” Daehyun sasses.

     “I have to leave to my dorm right now. My first day is tomorrow.”

     It was silent at our table.

     “Idiot,” Himchan mutters.

     “But I'm serious.”

     “Yea, I know. That's what makes you an idiot.”

     “Why is your school starting so soon?” I ask.

     Jongup shrugs, “I guess college is different.”

     “What about your luggage?” Yongguk asks.

     “I got it all ready and waiting in a car.”

     Jongup then stands up and bows a ninety-degree angle, “Thank you for all your care this whole time. I promise that I'll return smarter than Alfred Einstein.”

     “You mean Albert Einstein. Alfred Einstein was a musicologist,” Youngjae comments.

     Jongup straightens his back, “Well then, I'll make sure that I'll return smarter than you.”

     Everyone at our table freezes besides Youngjae and Jongup who were silently glaring at each other. This was the first time that anyone heard Jongup's tone so strict. He's usually always joking around, but I never saw him so serious before.

     But I don't mind it and sigh instead, “Although it is very sudden and stupid for you to leave so soon without telling any of us, Moon Jongup, I, along with your other subordinates wish you a good time in your new life at college. Be it Alfred or Albert Einstein, we hope to see you again, grown into an adult Moon Jongup we can all be proud of.”

     He smiles his usual smile, “Don't worry, I'll make sure I do well. And besides, I'm coming back for Christmas break, until then.”

     This time it was Jongup and I who couldn't keep our eyes off of each other. It just hasn't hit me yet that Jongup is actually leaving us, and that tomorrow I will not see him at the dining table, and I wouldn't have to yell at him for skipping a mission just because he doesn't feel like doing it. We would've looked at each other even longer until it was Jieun's voice that interrupted everything.

     “Hello everyone! You may or may not know, but I have a person I love with all my heart, and he goes by the name Bang Yongguk. It's been an hour and thirty minutes, and he promised that we could have a dance together, so I hope everyone watches us with loving hearts as much as I love Yongguk.” She giggles, “thank you!”

     Everyone turns their eyes to Yongguk and he leans his forehead into his hand, “Kill me now.”

     “You promised,” Jongup says and he starts make his way out.

     Yongguk stands up and gives Jongup a farewell hug, “Have fun in college. – But don't get into too much trouble.”

     “I won't,” Jongup smiles.

     The rest of us say our last goodbyes and he finally makes his way to the car that was waiting for him. He turns and waves one last time before walking out the gates. Next thing you know Yongguk gets dragged by Jieun so they can dance like Yongguk promised, Himchan excuses himself to the restroom, Daehyun excuses himself to eat more food, and only Youngjae and me were left at the table.

     Well this is wonderful.

     I didn't know what to do so I avert my eyes to watch Yongguk dancing (being dragged by) with Jieun across the dance floor. From what I see it seems as if Jieun was constantly babbling to him, and Yongguk pretended to care by at least replying with a “oh really?” or a “oh, I see.” I let out a silent chuckle, thinking about how he's probably begging Jieun in his head to shut the hell up, and that he didn't promise to listen to her whole entire life story.

     I take one quick glace at Younjae and find him looking blankly at Yongguk and Jieun as well. I wonder what he's thinking about.

     “Found you.”

     I turn my head and see Lay in a fancy suit, along with many other guys behind him,

     “Nice to see you again,” I say, “How are you doing?”

     “Pretty okay. Just anxious to tell you what I've been hiding.”

     I gulp, “What is it exactly that you wanted to show me?”

     He first takes a seat next to mine, and then reaches for something in his pocket, and out comes a piece of paper.

     “This paper was mailed to me. I don't know why, but it was sent to me.”

     The paper read,

 

     16 September 1996

 

     I don't know how to feel right now. I had enough of allowing myself to be abused my Jaewook's close fried, so I decided to confront my husband about the truth today. After he heard the news, there was no signs of anger, confusion, or any expressions of discomfort on his face. He told me that he didn't care, and let him do what he wants to me.

 

     My husband does not love me. He never loved me –no one does. The only person that loves me is my dear son, Youngjae. I have to keep him close. I plan to take him in his sleep tomorrow night and flee away from this hellish mafia world and live normal lives. I'll do whatever it takes to raise Youngjae into a smart gentlemen.

 

 

     That's when I realized: Before Youngjae threw his mother's journal into the fire, he asked me if I ripped out “this” page. I did indeed rip out a page, but it wasn't “this” page. I ripped out the one where he wrote how much he liked me – but it wasn't the one he was tallking about. The one Lay has is the page that Youngjae was talking about. I know because this was the ripped page after the last journal entry his mom ever wrote. But what is it doing in Lay's hands?  

 


 

A/N: I have to apologize for the last chapter.
I'm sorry I got to emo. Hope this chapter made
up in the smallest way. Make sure to comment,
subscribe, share, and upvote! . arigatou .