This is War

Speak to Me

 

 

I'm awake, and the first thing I notice is my heavy breathing being covered with an oxygen mask. I am hearing the hospital machine's beeping, and squinting at the bright lights in front of my eyes, again.

 

 

“Are you feeling better?” A deep voice asks me. My eyes become clear and I notice Yongguk sitting besides me.

 

“What happened?” I mumble, letting out a few coughs. My throat hurts as I talk. It feels like a thousand of mosquitoes stabbing my throat whenever I try to breathe, which I had difficulty with.

 

 

Yongguk sighs as he rubs the back of his neck, “I don't know where to explain from.”

He then takes out a note and lets me read it.

 

 

 

Yoo Youngjae.

It is your father. How have you been? Ever since I let you go that day, I have had many countless nights of not sleeping. I've been researching and traveling for the past 10 years, and I am happy to say that I know every step you are walking and everyone you are connected with. I made a promise on that day, and it was to ruin your plan. Don't you think it's about time?

 

Can't wait to see you soon.

 

 

“I'm not sure if you know about Youngjae's past, but he escaped from his father ten years ago after attepmting to kill his own son. Last week this letter somehow got into Youngjae's backpack.” Yongguk explains.

 

“What does he mean by ruining Youngjae's plan?” I ask.

 

“We're guessing it's his plan on living.”

 

I take off my oxygen mask which was bothering the heck out of me, “Where those guys with Youngjae's dad?”

 

“Probably.”

 

“Then why were they attacking me?”

 

Yongguk sighs, “That's the confusing part. We don't know. You don't happen to have any enemies at school, do you?”

 

I shake my head, “I don't even talk to anyone. Wait, didn't Youngjae's dad kill my mom two years ago?”

 

He looks at me with a shocked expression, “How do you know about that?”

 

“I heard from Daehyun.”

 

Yongguk scrunches his eyebrows as he continues thinking. “Why do you think he suddenly popped up at that time? We've been trying to track him down for the past two years, but we still can't get anything. What exactly is he doing?”

 

“That's what I'd like to know.”

 

 

I examine Yongguk's face and notices a few scars.

 

 

“Yongguk, are you alright? What happened with you guys?”

 

 

That's when I sit up from my bed,

Somi and Eunhae.

 

 

“What happened to Somi and Eunhae? Are they hurt?”

 

“Hey hey, lay back down.” He slightly pushes me back down. Your friends are still sleeping after receiving surgery.”

 

“Surgery? What happened?!”

 

 

My voice strains itself and I let out painful coughs. Yongguk quickly hands me a glass of water.

 

 

“Your friends both got stabbed by the people. Don't worry, both of their surgeries ended well.”

 

 

How can I not worry?

 

Damn it, they were just starting to be nice. What bad rumors are they going to spill now? Well, it wouldn't be rumors anymore. It actually happened. All because of me.

 

 

“Why did they attack my friends? -No, just tell me what happened back there.”

 

“We were outnumbered by the enemy. The four of us tried to hold back the people attacking us, and told Somi and Eunhae to run away. But when they did, a number of guys started to chase after your friends, so Jongup and Zelo made their way to stop the guys, until it was too late and two guys stabbed your friends. After stabbing your friends the people started retreating. The guys who continued fighting us stopped as well and started running away.

 

We tried to chase after them, but we had to treat your friends, and you and Youngjae were missing as well. That's when we get a call from Youngjae and he tells us you're passed out in an abandoned building so we got the girls and rushed over there. But when we got there Youngjae was passed out as well right next to you, but he had another note placed on top of his palm.”

 

Yongguk hands he another note,

 

 

This is nothing compared to what I have in plan.

This is war.

 

 

“I'm guessing this is from Youngjae's dad as well?”

 

 

Yonggk slowly nods his head, and I let out a painful deep breathe, not wanting to think about any more. I close my eyes, needing rest for a moment. Waking up from almost being chocked to death and all this information going into my head is too much for my brain to handle. After worrying about finals, this just has to happen.

 

 

“Yongguk,” I let out a breathe, “I don't care how much time we're short on. Once my feet step out of this hospital, I'm receiving training that will make me stronger. I'm sick of watching you guys fight in the back. I'm tired of being scared and unable to attack. Also, never hide anything like this ever again. If something happens, report it to me immediately. Do you understand?”

 

“Yes mam'.” He whispers, a bit taken a back by my sudden orders.

 

“I am your boss now. I may be some kind of scrawny teenager but I am my dad's daughter.”

 

That's right. I am my dad's daughter. Just like him, I hate being weak and not doing anything. All those times I've mistreated my father were times when I never wanted to understand about his world. But now that I do, I should and will do something about it. I will no longer stand back and watch.

 

I will fight.

This is war.

++

 

Somi and Eunhae wouldn't wake up for three days. I don't know what was taking so long, but the doctors were babbling about how the anesthesia takes a long time to wear off. Youngjae ended up straining his ankle, and was recommended for him to stay in his room for a week, so I visit him often.

 

 

“Are you feeling better?” I ask.

 

“I'm fine.”

 

 

Youngjae was back to his emotionless-self, being too depressed about what happened, feeling to sorry for not protecting me when he should be the one worried that his dad is out to kill him.

 

I reach out to hold his hand, but he places his arm on his stomach, and my heart begins to shatter.

 

 

Don't let it bother you. I tell myself.

 

 

“Do you need anything?”

 

“No.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

Youngjae sighs as he closes his eyes. “Saehee, I'm tired.”

 

 

The pain in my heart grows as I stand up and walk away. The sting in my throat comes back and I stumble a bit, letting out a couple of coughs.

 

I look back and see Youngjae looking at me with worried eyes, but when he realizes our eye contact he shuts his eyes once again and pretends to fall asleep.

 

 

“Call me if you need anything,” I whisper as I shut the door behind me. I slowly drag my feet away from his room, until I hear his door opening. Youngjae limps his way and holds my wrists.

 

 

“I'm sorry, I didn't mean to act like that.”

 

I shake my head. “You have nothing to be sorry about. Just go back in your room and rest up, alright?”

 

 

He doesn't listens and pulls me in his arms.

 

 

“Stay with me.”

 

 

I blink a couple of times, but release myself away from his arms.

 

 

“Come on, let's go back to your room. You're not suppose be walking like this.”

 

 

I wrap an arm around his waist and help him walk back to his room. I lay next to him and he lets me use his arm as a pillow. I wait until he falls fast asleep, and walk out of room after.

 

This was the third time he did that.

 

Gives me an attitude, apologizes, and then just starts the whole cycle again. The first time I thought he was really sorry, until he did it the next day. And now, I don't know what to feel. His affection towards me don't feel sincere, --but I shouldn't be the one getting upset. I continue to tell myself that he's stressed about everything that is happening right now, that he probably thinks this whole thing is being caused by him.

 

 

I shake it off and go into Somi and Eunhae's room to find them awake, Himchan and Daehyun sitting besides their separate beds, finishing explaining the situation.

 

 

“I'm so sorry,” I apologize, my eyes unable to look anywhere but the floor. There was nothing but silence for a while.

 

 

 

“Kim Saehee, you live a pretty exciting life.” I hear Eunhae say. I look up, surprised. Their eyes weren't filled with any signs of anger, fear, or worry. Instead they seemed excited and eager.

 

“I feel so happy to be a part of this,” Somi says, “I feel like I'm shooting some sort of action drama.”

 

 

My habit of blinking kicks in. Unable to say anything, my blinking speaks for my confusion.

 

 

“You're not mad?” I ask.

 

“Of course not. We may have gotten hurt, but it's no big deal. I mean, you are part of the mafia and we should've expected at least something like this.”

 

“And besides, the one in danger is you guys, there's no need for us to be so y about this whole accident. As long as we're not infected with some kind of disease, no need to worry about us. I mean, haven't you had enough with the way we used to treat you?”

 

My eyes almost tear. So this is what it's like to have friends. No matter how much you hurt them, they won't mind. -wait, why am I becoming so emotional at something like this?

 

Nonetheless, I am grateful.

 

“Thanks, guys.”

 

Himchan coo-es, “Aw, well aren't you guys the cutest things ever. Makes me miss my times in high school. Anyway, since Daehyun has been complaining about how hungry he is, we'll leave you girls alone so you guys can have your girl talk.”

 

 

Himchan drags Daehyun out the door, and I take seat in between them.

 

 

Eunhae sighs, “Himchan is so hot.”

 

 

Uh, she did not just say that.

 

 

“Really? I think Yongguk is more good looking. What about you, Saehee? Yongguk or Himchan?” Somi asks.

 

“Uhm, well. They're both equally disgusting to me, so--”

 

“Disgusting?!” Eunhae shrieks, “They're marvelous. Did you see them protecting us earlier? I was so swooned that I spaced out when they told us to run away.”

 

“No no, I was more shocked my Daehyun. He looked surprisingly cool when he was fighting with his knives.”

 

“I know right!”

 

 

As I listen to these two girls gossip, I almost barf. In what kind of way do they see these nasty guys?

 

 

“Anyway, I'm glad we're friends. We get to hang out with all these handsome guys.”

 

I let out a forced laugh, and nod, “But are you guys really okay?”

 

“Psh,” Somi scoffs, “We're totally fine! Eunhae, do you remember when those two first years came to save us? And then they let us get on their backs?”

 

“I know right! I felt like the luckiest girl in the world, being able to be piggy-backed by such cute looking young boys!”

 

"Yea, but I wish I got your guys. My guy was a little too short."

 

 

I look at these two girls in amazement. They've been stabbed.

Key word: Stabbed.

How do they have the ability to make everything seem good?

 

 

“But Saehee-ah.”

 

My eyes avert to Eunhae, “Hm?”

 

“I mean, -uh. So Himchan and Daehyun told us like everything. Like everything. We know what you're going through now, and like if you have anything to talk about, you can always tell us. We know guys can be pretty stupid with their words, and it might be hard to keep in your girly thoughts. Just always feel free to tell us. We'll always be here for you.”

 

“Yea, don't think we're scared of the way you live and that we hate you. We want to be here for you,” Somi adds.

 

Unable to express how grateful I am, the tears that swelled up in my eyes from earlier fall out instead.

 

“Thanks guys.”

 


 

A/N: aw, Saehee has nice such nice friends :) But anyway,
I know I said that I'd upload three more chapters, but I'm
sorry to say that I'll be able to upload just one more. Gah.
Can't express how sorry I am. Hopefully after finals are done,
I'll be able to upload everyday once again. 
 
Make sure to subscribe, comment, share, and upvote! . arigatou .