This is My Story

Speak to Me

 

 

Last night after dinner was the most boring orientation I've ever attended. I thought that my school's orientations were sleep worthy, but the one that occurred last night was no joke. They spent an hour on talking about the rules and regulations of this conference, and another hour talking about a comparison of last year's conference and this year's, and all the changes made to make this the “best conference ever.”

 

And then there were several of senior adults that came to speak about how this conference really helped when they were are age, but their quiet and soft voices were almost a lullaby for me to fall asleep.

 

And here I am now, awake from the loud and annoying alarm coming from Sunggyu's megaphone as he rings it, standing on top of his bed.

 

 

“Rise and shine guys! Time to start day two of our amazing conference! You guys have thirty minutes to get ready, and we'll be going down to eat our first meal of the day!”

 

 

Since we had eight people in our group, four beds were set up as the other four beds were set up on the other side of our room. Girls were on one side, and guys were on the other. The first thing I see when I sit up is Jungook's messy bed hair and a irritated look on his face. Once we make eye contact, Jungook gives me a lazy salute and drags himself out of bed, heading towards the bathroom to be the first one to get ready.
 

 

After everyone got ready we walked to the dining hall as a group, but as we were walking many of the girls recognized me and flipped me off as our groups walked past each other, realizing that I was the girl who's close with Youngjae and Daehyun.

 

 

“You have it tough, don't 'ya?” Hyosung walks next to me.

 

“You don't even know. --You don't happen to be one of the girls that want to kill me, right?”

 

“No, of course not. Youngjae and Daehyun are too young for me.”

 

I let out a sigh, “Good to hear.”

 

 

I remember Hyosung's face at my dad's funeral. She was bawling in front of my dad's coffin for the longest time ever. Her make-up got all ruined, and her hair got all messed up from banging her hands on the ground as well.

 

I thought she was crazy at first, but then I heard that my dad made alliances with her, knowing that her group was unsuccessful. He was really good to her even though she never deserved it, and made her stronger and her group more successful.

 

Hearing that made me think of my dad as some kind of e, especially with their huge amount of age difference. I wondered what he wanted from her, but I only come to realize that it was just my dad who had a big heart. Maybe then if it hit me at that time, I would be crying as much as Hyosung was.

 

 

“You're dad was always good to me,” she brings up. We were now sitting next to each other, eating our breakfast with our group.

 

“Really? What did he do?” I ask, just to keep the conversation going.

 

“Well, I had to become a boss when I was ten years old, because I was the oldest of my three sisters, and my dad had been assassinated. I absolutely hated it, and subordinates started leaving because I couldn't take care of my group well. But I was only a ten year-old then, I hadn't even graduated elementary school! But then your dad realized all the struggles I was going through, so he made an alliance and took care of me as if I was his own daughter.”

 

 

I didn't know what to say, so I shove a piece of pancake in my mouth so it looked like I wasn't able to speak.

 

 

Hyosung continues, “When I signed the contract, I didn't know exactly what I was doing and did it because I felt like I had no one. My mom ran away, and left me alone with my three baby sisters. They'd cry, yelling at me that they don't have clothes or supplies for school. I got really frustrated because I too, did not have anything provided for myself. But after joining with your father, we had everything. Even though we did live separately, he always made sure we kept in touch and always made sure that my sisters and I were alive.

 

Your father was a great man. I miss him so much.”

 

 

I peak over to Hyosung after hearing her words become teared, and she was letting out streams of tears.

 

 

Really, crying in the morning? In front of our group members?

 

 

But, I don't blame her, and I have no right to be judging her either. I had her a napkin and she gladly accepts it as she wipes her tears with it.

++

It was time for the training portion. From nine to eleven o'clock was weapon use training, and after lunch we had strength and reflex training until the end of the day. The group leaders were the ones who were going to train us, and Sunggyu was very excited to teach us.

 

And when I mean very excited, I mean that he was extremely excited.

 

“Alright you guys, I may be a little iffy because this is my first year as a group leader, but I am more than every excited and honored to have this privilege. I may appear strict at times, but it's just because I want to make you guys stronger, alright? Okay, so the first thing I'm going to do is hand you guys different kinds of guns. DON'T shoot it at anyone. If you do, that will be breaking our rules and you know what happen when you break the rules, VERY BAD things happen. Anyway, I should stop mumbling so we can get down to business!”

 

The eight of us were in a spacious empty room. We were standing on one side, and on the way end of the other side were seven targets for each of us to practice on.

 

Sunggyu gallops to a box and takes out our guns. He hands them out to each and one of us, and all of us stand in front of different targets to shoot at. He had his clipboard and pen in his hand, ready to take down notes based on our performance.

 

 

“So first you guys will take turns on shooting at the targets, just so I can just get a first look on where you guys are at. Alright, Lay, you first!”

 

“Uhm, aren't the targets a little to far away?” Lay asks.

 

Sunggyu immediately lets out a glare, “What are you talking about? These are the closest they get.”

 

 

I gulp. Talk about some quick mood changes.

 

 

Lay shrugs it off and shoots the bullet to hit it at 7.5.

 

 

 

“7.5,” Sunggyu writes down, “Not too bad.”

 

As the rest of my group members take their turn, Sunggyu let's out a comment for each and one of them.

 

 

 

“8! Just as expected. Yongguk, you are always good.”

 

“6.5?! Why'd you even come to this conference for?!”

 

“7. Better than 6.5”

 

 

 

It was Jungooks' turn, and then I was after. But when he coolly shot it, he hit a -

 

“9.5?! You're truly a genius, Jungook. Great job.” Sunggyu compliments.

 

Jungook lets out a sly smile and faces me. I roll my eyes, he's trying to challenge me. I can just hear him say, try doing better.

 

 

“Alright Saehee, you're turn!”

 

 

I feel all the eyes on me. Being the boss of the most successful group really gives off a lot of pressure. Especially with Jungook's annoying expression, thinking he's better or something –well, hate to admit it but he probably is.

 

I take a deep breath, you can do this.

 

 

I hold out the gun and squint, recalling Youngjae's words.

 

 

You have a tendency to hit more higher than your target. For practice, focus your eyes so that the top of the gun is on the line where it separates 9 and 10.”

 

 

I remember his words and imagine his big warm hand guiding me, and shoot the gun.

 

 

Everyone continues to stare in awe, my jaw drops.

 

I hit bull's eye.

 

 

Wow, good thing I trained before coming here.

 

 

“Saehee, that was …. beautiful. Your form, the posture, the angle of your arms, they were all perfect. I think I might cry.” Sunggyu says.

 

 

I smirk and look at Jungook, beat 'ya.

 

 

He doesn't show it, but I can tell Jungook was cursing me from the inside when I saw him take a deep breathe, along with a frown plastered onto his face.

++

 

After three hours of training, we finally walk to the dining hall as a group and stand in line for our lunch.

 

 

“You were so good back there!” Hyosung compliments.

 

“Thanks, but to be totally honest with you, guns are the only thing I can work.”

 

She lets out a giggle, “Did your dad teach you?”

 

“No, Youngjae did.”

 

“Well, that kid must be really good then.”

 

 

“--I heard my name?” Youngjae once again pops up. His group was once again behind us.

 

 

I almost let a smile take over my face, but maintain my composure.

 

 

“Why do you always pop up everywhere?” I ask.

 

“Why can't I?” He teases.

 

I roll my eyes, “Don't talk to me.” I turn my back away. As much as I wanted to talk with him, Hyosung is right next to us and Yongguk is only a few feet away.

 

 

Stay with me. -No, just stay behind me.

 

 

Hyosung nudges me, “Youngjae's so nice to you. He was always known for being a cold person, but he seems so .. happy. But then again, you are his boss. Wait, then isn't he a little too friendly?”

 

I was about to go on a rant about Youngjae, until I feel his arms wrap around my waist from behind. I get surprised by his actions at first, but then I looked around and realized no one was looking since they were busy being frustrated at all the people crowding around each other.

 

 

“We're actually dating,” Youngjae whispers to Hyosung as her jaw drops.

 

“Oh, my goodness. No way! You guys look so adorable together I'm dyi-”

 

“Hyosung please, try to keep your voice down,” I plead.

 

 

Yoo Younagje, let go.

 

 

He then whispers in my ear, “You're the one who asked me to stay behind you.”

 

 

Once again, I do not want to get killed my your fan girls. Please, Yongguk is standing right there, I don't want him to find out.

 

 

Youngjae gives in and lets go, “You must not have feelings for me anymore.”

 

I angrily face him, “Bull, Youngjae. Stop making me look like the bad one.”

 

He smiles and annoyingly squishes my cheeks, “I know how much you like me, just teasing.”

 

“Why do I feel that you are gradually turning into Daehyun?” I mutter.

 

++

 

After a extremely long day of training, our bodies were drained and we were ready to knock out in our beds. However Sunggyu wanted to have an extra “bonding” time together. No one complained or declined, especially after spending a whole day of his strict teaching. We all came to realize that Sunggyu can be the kindest person you ever meet, but he is not a person you mess with.

 

Once we got into our room, he made us combine all our beds together, and we all sat in a circle on top of our beds.

 

“So, I know this was a long first day for you guys, but you guys will come to realize that this camp will be over in a blink of an eye,” Sunggyu starts off. “I know that you guys are all tired, but I want each of you to use up your last bits of energy to take this time to share. We're all in a mafia group for a reason. No one just popped up suddenly and ended up where you are. And I love hearing what you guys think about the mafia, so how about starting from Saehee we share how we got into the mafia, and what you think about it right now.”

 

I give him a look, What if we don't want to share?

 

But as if I could say that out loud in front of our group leader. I sigh, taking a look at Yongguk, wondering if it was really alright to share. But when we made eye contact, he nodded, looking forward to my story.

 

I guess I have no other choice.

 

 

“Well, my dad was a boss, and I was the only child, so it was given that I'd someday be in his place. I did like the mafia when I was young, and I even thought it was really cool. But then I got in an accident when I was younger, and ended up loosing all my memories. Took me a while to remember everything, but when it came to me I was the daughter of a mafia boss, I just began to hate it even more.

 

Being part of the mafia only caused me pain and trauma. You see, I regained my memory, so I hate the mafia even more now, realizing that being part of the mafia caused me to loose all connections with all my friends, and killed everyone I loved.

 

It's so frustrating. Because the thing I hated for nearly all my life, is actually giving me benefits now. I don't know .. I just feel like I'm becoming a person. I'm actually having conversations with people, when I always locked myself in my room. I'm starting to appreciate things even more, and my feelings get more sensitive everyda-- Sorry, I went too far.”

 

 

I cut myself off, realizing how much I've caught myself talking. Damn it, now they probably all think I'm some kind of emotional chick.

 

 

Sunggyu smiles, “I think we can all relate to Saehee somehow, right?”

 

 

I look up and everyone nods, even Jungook.

 

 

“There's no need to apologize,” Jungook mutters.

 

“Hm? Would you like to say something, Jungook?” Sunggyu asks.

 

“I've always hated the mafia too. It killed my parents when I was only five. But now I'm a boss and I'm with the people that give me the most confidence. I have people to look up to and a future ahead of me, because of the mafia.”

 

 

 

I'm surprised. A kid who I thought had a horrible personality, I guess there's a reason for that as well. My dad passed away recently, but bot his of his parents passed away when he was only five years old.

 

 

Our group continues to share our stories, and I just continued to listen in amazement how most of the people are probably more broken down than me, but they act as if there's nothing wrong goin on at all.

 

Before we realize it was already pass the time for the lights to be out, and everyone just goes under their covers, too lazy to move the beds to their original spots. But I couldn't fall asleep, so after Sunggyu turns off the lights and goes off to a leader's meeting, I wait a while and I step outside as well.

 

 

I walked into the main hall, and sat down in a chair, lost in my own thoughts.

 

 

 

“Can't sleep?”

 

 

Yongguk's deep voice surprises me, but he makes his way and takes the seat across from me.

 

 

“Not really. I can't stop thinking about our group's talk just now.”

 

“What are you thinking about?”

 

I sigh, “I just came to realize, everyone has their own story. I always used to think that the bad events only happen to me, but I guess I was really wrong. I guess I should start being nicer to more people.”

 

“And maybe even trying to make an alliance with Jungook's group? --I'm just suggesting.”

 

I let out a smile, “Yea, probably making an alliance with Jungook will be nice.”

 

“Good to see you growing already when it's only been the first day.”

 

 

I just continue to smile at his remark, but then I randomly think about Somi and Eunhae.

 

 

“What do you think about my friends?” I ask.

 

“Somi and Eunhae?”

 

“Yea.”

 

He chuckles, “Why are you bringing them up all of the sudden?”

 

“Just, wondering how you look at them.”

 

He furrows his eyebrows, “Uh, just as your friend?”

 

“You don't see them in any way like … a woman?”

 

“No, of course not. Why, do one of them have a crush on me or something?”

 

I blink, “U-uh, no...But let's just say, what if one of them did like you? --Just saying.”

 

“Sorry to say, but I don't think I can receive her feelings. I already have someone I like.”

 

 

My eyes bulge open, “Who? Who is it? How old is she?”

 

He stutters, “Well, uh-”

 

“Tell me!”

 

“Promise not to tell?”

 

“Of course not! Come on Yongguk, we've been talking about personal stuff this whole time. Plus, I am your boss. I order you to tell me, now.” I insist.

 

 

Yongguk takes a deep breathe and looks into my eyes as he confesses,

 

 

 

 

 

“I like Himchan.”

 


 

A/N: // inserts gif of me runing away // 
keke. just some happy stuff before
real s gets down (ooh, spoiler alert)
 
Make sure to comment, subscribe, upvote,
and share! .arigatou .