Apology

Speak to Me

 

 

 

     Daehyun? What is he doing here? He's just supposed to be an acquaintance, my seat partner. He's the guy we're suppose to work with? He's part of the mafia? How mysterious.

     I would have never imagined that he kills for work because of his cheerful (but annoying) image. Now that he's out of his school uniform and is wearing a dark leather jacket that camouflages with the night, the image of him being in the mafia does seem clear to me.

     "If you're done spacing out," Youngjae begins. "We should hurry up and proceed with our mission."

     "Yeah. Let's get this over with." Daehuyn says.

     Unknowingly, my footsteps automatically follow these two, especially since I don't want to be left alone in the dark. We walk in silence, each of us caught up in our own thoughts. But as we were walking to our destination, Daehyun finally gives out orders.

     "So Saehee, our mission is to retrieve the money that was stolen from us. There will most likely be dangerous men on the way so use this in case someone tries to kill you."

     Daehyun tosses me a pocket knife, and my hands fumbled with it, thinking that it was open. Thankfully, the knife was still in its sheath.

     "Wait, but I have no experience. I don't know how to use this," I say.

     "It's simple," Daehyun explains, "Just stab and kill."

     So "simple", I snorted.

     I look over at Youngjae and see his lips pursed as if he's trying to stifle a laugh. Is he laughing at my thoughts, or at Daehyun's words?

     Probably Daehyun's words. Right?

     All of the sudden Youngjae and Daehyun both stop walking.

     "What's wrong?" I ask.

     Youngjae quickly goes up to me and covers my mouth. Not only that, but he shields me using his whole body. Everything is happening all of a sudden, my brain is unable to focus on anything else other than the loud rustling of feet.

     Youngjae groans. "."

     What just happened? Did Youngjae just shield me so I wouldn’t get hurt? Wait, is Youngjae hurt? What’s happening?

     "I'm fine," he whispers. "I'll take care of the guy with the weapon. The other one isn't armed so just stab him with the knife Daehyun gave you."

     Oh, so the dangerous men appeared?

     Quickly obeying his order, he lets go of me and elbowed the guy behind him who just slashed him.

     Moonlight illuminated the scene, I see blood running down Youngjae's back. Not wanting to feel like a burden, I take out my weapon with shaky hands and looked for the enemy Youngjae told me about. I can't find him.

     Is it because of my fear? Or is it really just that dark? I frantically search for the enemy, until someone's foot strikes me from behind and I fall to the ground with a yelp, dropping the knife I held in my hand. I looked up to see a big, nasty-looking guy smirking at me.

     "Why'd you bring a young lady here? Are you asking for her to be killed?" The guy mocks.

     My eyes search for the pocket knife I dropped. My hands for the knife, but I'm unable to find it.

     "Looking for this?" The enemy asks? Light reflects off the knife and I freak out.

     I am going to be stabbed and killed within a few moments.

     I see the guy's shoulder move up and down slightly as he chuckles, he then lunges towards me with the knife. I lay on the floor with my eyes closed, feeling the hopelessness creep up.

     until I heard a loud "bang" and the sound of a knife dropping right next to my ears.

     I sit up, and see the guy clenching his heart, kneeling on the ground. He removes his hand from his heart, revealing the blood coating his hand. Then two more "bangs" occurred, the guy lays lifeless on the ground.

     "You can't even do something simple as stabbing him?!" Youngjae yells at me.

     Too shocked to reply, all I could do was let my body shake and continue staring at the dead, bleeding body. I find the strength to look behind Youngjae, and see that he had killed the other guy too.

     "I got the money, let's just clean up and go home." Daehyun says. "Saehee? Are you okay?"

     I look at Daehyun, but that was all I could do. Staring at him with frightened eyes. The shaking wouldn't stop and I wanted to throw up. The scene kept replaying in my head. I'm scared. I want to go home. I want to run away.

     "She's experiencing trauma." Youngjae states. "After cleaning up let's just call up a ride. I don't think she can walk home."

     Daehuyn sighs. "Alright. How about you stay with her and I'll clean up the mess."

     Youngjae agrees and stays with me as Daehyun starts to drag the bodies into some secluded place. While he was doing all that, Youngjae looks into my frightened eyes.

     "I'm sorry for yelling at you earlier. I know it's your first time, I got a little carried away," he says.

     I was unable to reply. I don't want to talk. I want to erase that scene from my head. How can they do this for a living?

 

++

 

     I've always hated the mafia. Never wanted to be a part of it. Never liked the thought of being part of the cruelty of this world.

     So my dad allowed me to live a normal life, but it was my evident fate for everyone to find out about my background, and it is destined that someday, I will have to go out onto the 'battlefield'.

     At this very moment, I hate my life.

 

++

 

     In the kitchen of my house. I made myself a cup of tea to calm me down. With Daehyun's counseling, I calmed down a little but I am still terrified about what happened.

     I take sips slowly, then stare at the tea.

     "Saehee," Daehyun calls out. It made me jump, but it didn't show how scared I had become. "Will you give Youngjae this tea? His room is two doors next to the bathroom.

     "W-why don't you do it yourself?" I stutter.

     Calm down, Saehee. You're not the kind of person to get scared easily.

     "I have to go back home right now."

     Oh right, Daehyun is my seat partner at school. I totally forgot about that.

     "Alright then," I say.

     "Will you be alright?" He asks.

     "Yea," I lie.

     Daehyun nods, and walks out the door. As soon as he closes it I managed to put strength into my legs, take the tea and slowly walk up to Youngjae's room. Now that I think about it, I never really bothered about my dad's subordinates who lived here. Has Youngjae been living here the whole time?

 

++

 

     As I'm making my way to Youngjae's room, I start to worry. Would he want to talk with me right now? I've placed a big burden on him, and he has had a long night. What if bringing him this tea just causes him more disturbance? Should I turn back right now? But I made it this far, I shouldn't walk away.

     Well, here goes nothing.

     I knock on the door, and from the other side I hear his voice. "Come in."

     I slowly open the door, and see him concentrating on rubbing medicine on his . He bends his arm over his shoulder as he looks at his back through the mirror, trying to find out where to put the medicine. He can barely reach the gash, since it is located right in the middle of his back. The cut that I indirectly caused.

     I had a clear view of his bare front.

     I blinked around five times in a second and looked down. "I brought tea."

     Youngjae looks up at me for split second, but quickly focuses back on applying medicine on himself. "You could just leave it on the table right next to you."

     I do as he says, until he sighs. "Can you help me put this on? And then help me bandage my wound after."

     "Sure." I say.

     I walk to him, taking the medicine and I start applying on his back. He stays still, despite the stings that ripples throughout his body.

     "Tell me if it hurts," I tell him.

     "Alright."

     In the end, he never once complained that it hurt, so I got the bandage out of the first aid kit and unraveled some of it. Wrapping it around his shoulder and across his chest and back continuously. Still facing his back, I paused wrapping the bandage around him to apologize.

     "I'm sorry.. about tonight... and this." That was all I could say. "this" referring to his big wound. Because I am truly sorry.

     "It's alright."

     I sigh as I continue to wrap the bandage around him. Did he even accept my apology?

     As soon as I was done, I walked out of his room and went into my own room, which was one floor higher than his. I try not to over-think about what happened tonight.  

 



 
comment, subscribe, upvote, and share if you'd like! 
happy new year!
 
tumblr_mybidhZYeP1rlj9hho1_r1_500.gif