Chapter 51 - Dark Love (Part 11)

The Pre-existence Seekers

Unknowingly, I followed the line and reached the 3 rivers. On the bank of the 3 rivers, grew a massive blood red flowers. It was blooming in the near dark red colour and from afar, it looked like the banks were covered with blood stains. Like Blood, like Death... Manjusa. The only flower to bloom in the Underworld. Gazing at the flowers, I was emotional. If only I could find the orange Manjusa, I could save Eric hyung. Somewhere in my heart, I found this place familiar too....

A commotion stirred within the dead souls. A small boat floated near with a skinny old man, Charon. His appearance was hideous and emitted an aura of fear. He ferried the dead souls across the rivers. All the dead souls rushed to board the boat. Some fell into the rivers, some was tossed into the river when they could not pay for the ferry fee. Some were wailing at the bank, begging to be able to board the boat despite without the fee. It was a fearful scene for me. I s my way pass the wailing crowd to Charon.

I held the coin tightly in my palm and Charon stared at me mercilessly. One of my feet step onto the boat while I was handing over the coin. While Charon was reaching out to take the coin, someone pushed me and my coin dropped into the water with a clear plonking sound.

"Oh no." I exclaimed. I lost the coin and I was blaming Hyesung for being stingy to give me only a coin.

"Get down since you can't pay me the fee." Charon waved his oar and smacked me off. 

"No!" I managed to blurt out a word before I fell into the chilling water. I was cursing at Charon for being so heartless. I saw more souls sinking into the water and I feared that I would make up the figures for god knows how many were at the river bed. I had to save Eric hyung...

" You did not sink into the river?" Charon looked at with a bit of surprise.

I saw myself floating on the water and did not sink as the other did. Could it be the reason that I was not dead but faking dead here? "Maybe I did a lot of kind deeds in my life and so I did not sink down. Please have a heart to ferry me across the rivers."

" No unless you pay up." Charon spoke coldly.

"Wait, would you take this instead?" I pointed at the locket on my neck. I was wearing Lynn Porwell's necklace as well as M's necklace.

Charon eyed me for a while before he told me to come on board his boat. As the boat set off, the trail of red Manjusa patched our way and they looked even eerie. The stamens of the Manjusa looked like arms, trying to claim the last drop of life. I took a deep breathe to calm myself when the boat sailed through and I was anticipating what lie in front of me across the rivers.

Once I alighted from the boat, I reached the first hall of the Underworld - Hall of Judgement. The large dark hall was empty except for a chair. Occasionally, cold wind blew and made me trembling. I scanned my surroundings and saw the other souls were clueless.

I saw that the souls sat on the chair facing a handsome man. The handsome man was reciting all the deeds that the soul had done while he was alive. He took out a mirror which reflected all the deeds and he decided where the soul would end up at.

He had short blond hair with green eyes. He looked young but he was dressing in a light grey robe. He was very serious and no expression on his handsome face. He had the air of authority and held into a very thick book. While handing out the outcome of each individual, he said out his name and he was called Kyuhyun. He the Highest Judge of the Underworld. Kyuhyun seemed to be a more suitable candidate for the post of God of Death. That Lord Heechul seemed to be placed in the wrong post.

Very soon, it was my turn to take the seat. Kyuhyun flipped through his book and said aloud," Kim Dongwan, 20 years old, died of ......" Kyuhyun stopped and a doubt flashed across his cold face," Strange, there is no record on the cause of your death."

"Er, maybe it had been omitted accidentally." I cooked up a lousy excuse. I am a living being and I could not let this be exposed.

Kyuhyun seemed surprised at my coolness as all others were shaking with fear upon seeing him. He put down the book and took out the mirror, facing me. I looked at the mirror but it did not show any images. "What is happening?" Kyuhyun was more surprised.

"Maybe your mirror is faulty since it looked so old." I snorted," For your information, I am a kind soul who did not commit any sin."

"Maybe you should send me to bliss land." I squealed, remembering Hyesung telling me that bliss land was situated very near to the palace of Hades. Hence, by sending me there, it saved me a lot of troubles.

"You said you did not commit any sin?" Kyuhyun flipped the book and read off," Here listed some of your sins."

"What?" I was stunned. I, 20 years old and handsome Kim Dongwan did not seem to have commit any sins, right?

"3 years old, stolen cookies and shifted the blame to other children, 4 years old and gotten into a fight with other children, and 5 years old, destroying an ant nest with water.... Strange, there is no record after 5 years old."

"You Highest Judge, how could all those be considered sins when I was still a kid!" While sparring out, I remembered that Hyesung adopted me from the orphanage when I was 5 years old.

"Based on those, I can't decide where you should go. You are a very suspicious soul and before I checked out on you further, you will remain at the second hall. Do not think of escaping else Gomodri will eat you up."

"Second Hall!" I wailed. This stupid Kyuhyun should sent me much further.

"You walk out of here and you will be in the second hall." Kyuhyun pointed at a small door

I had no choice but to push open the red door. The moment that I entered, a pungent smell greeted me and I had to hold my breathe. Followed by a thunderous howl, a 3 headed creature appeared in front of me. It's fur was messy and saliva was dripping from their mouths.

"Don't think of escaping else you will be eaten up by Gomdori." Kyuhyun's voice came before the door was shut. I looked at the closed door and my heart pounded madly. It was the first that I was so close with a monster. If I do not defeat it, I would not be able to advance further but I could not use any spells or power here. What am I going to do?"

Gomdori looked at me and moved a step towards me.

"Hey, I am not even thinking of running away. You better stop looking at me as if I am your food. I don't taste nice with the my bones." I retreated. I did not want to call Hyesung for help which I think I could get pass this hall. " Gomdori, will like me to sing you a lullaby?" I was talking nonsense to Gondori while I scanned my surroundings. I realized that I was inside a very large cage and at a far end of the corner were souls being chained. In the other end was a white door. Needless to say, that was the way to the third hall.

"Gomdori, are those souls under your charge?" I asked casually. 

Gomdori seemed to understand me and it howled. It smelled terrible. I started singing a song from my memories but I did not know what language it was in but I loved it's melody. I sang and spied Gomdori. The fierceness in its eyes changed to a confused expression. Somehow rather, I felt Gomdori was also scanning me. I chuckled because Gomdori  looked so amusing. When I left out a chuckle, Gondori whined and the saliva dripped more. Suddenly, it charged at me and was banging me with its heads. I was screaming out loud, afraid that Gomdori was going to eat me up.

Gomdori left out a bark(?) and looked excitedly at me. Gomdori only nudged it's heads at me while waggling it's tail. I was puzzled at Gomdori's behavior as if it was happy to see it's owner. Was my voice so heavenly that it fell in love with me? Whatever thing, it was looking good for me now.

After a while, Gomdori yawned and curled itself next to me, closing it's eyes. I stretched my hand to pat it's heads and it moved slightly. Thereafter, thunderous snores came from Gomdori. Great, it was sleeping now and I had to seize the opportunity to sneak out.

I stood up quietly and tip toed towards the white door. Just when I was about to push the door, it became dead quiet and I held my breathe. The snoring stopped. I turned around slowly to look at Gomdori and sure enough, Gomdori was looking at me with it's wide eyes. I felt all energy drained from my body and my hand was limp on the handle of the door. I was anticipating the worst....

The next moment I was very surprised. Gomdori closed it's eyes again and the snoring resumed. I heaved out and my palm was sweaty. Luckily, Gomdori returned to sleep. It was very very strange, from the expression that Gomdori looked at me. Just now, Gomdori saw me trying to sneak out but why did it.... I did not waste any time to ponder over it but walked through the door hurriedly.