Chapter 41 - Dark Love (Part 1)

The Pre-existence Seekers

I was unable to gather much information from Hyesung. After some thoughts, I decided to ask Eric hyung if he knew anything since he was with Hyesung for a longer period of time.

A few days later, Eric hyung returned from his task which took him to Ancient Japan. On his handsome face, I could see his weariness.

"Erowan, are you feeling better now?"  Eric hyung ruffled my hair when he saw me walking into his room and he gave me a huge grin. I nodded my head and smiled at him.

"Eric hyung,  do you know why Teacher had to collect those teardrops? "

Eric hyung stared hard at me and he shook his head after slight hesitation. He thought for a while and spoke, " When I was younger, I ever saw Teacher staring blankly at the bottle which contained the teardrops and he was spacing out. He did not even hear me calling out to him a few times. I remembered that his expression was very queer which I could not describe. I had never seen Teacher looking thus way. That was the one and only time that I saw that expression but I could not forget it."

"Could Teacher be hiding secret from us?" I asked. I began to suspect that the bottle which contained the teardrops could be the clue to any hidden secrets.

"I wonder what was teacher's past life? " I continued.  " Eric hyung, do you know how and why I was adopted?"

Eric hyung shook his head again. " Erowan, you are aware that Teacher is a man of few words. I could recall that before you were adopted, he told me to look after 'Twist of Fate' for a few days. He said that the time had come and he had to fetch someone."

"Was that me?" I pointed at myself.

Eric hyung smiled," I guess so because Teacher came back with you."

After hearing from Eric hyung, I had more doubts. Just how much secrets had Hyesung hid from us? Would this got to do with my past life?  The punishment? And the release of us from the punishment? 

"Erowan, don't think too much okay?" Eric hyung smacked my head lightly. "You better take more rest. I see that after each tasks, you seemed to be in great sufferings.  You kept letting yourself being involved with people during your tasks."

"I...." Before I could talk anything,  Eric hyung interrupted me.

"Erowan, I think you should find a lover here so that you have no time to brood over things and would not get yourself involved in your tasks. I could ask my girlfriends to recommend their friends to you. " Eric hyung singed his arm around me and gave me a smirk.

"I am not interested." I snorted and pushed his arm away.

I did not think that I was able to fall in love with anyone here after meeting the innocent Emperor Lee Minwoo,  the gentle and smitten M and the radiant King Minu. I did not think that there was anyone who could match them....

                                  **************************************************************************************************

A few days later, there was another task and it was to mid century Europe again, to Italy to be exact. Hyesung asked if I am okay to take up this task but I had vowed not to go to this period again after the horrible task with Madam Victoria. While I was hesitating, Eric hyung volunteered for this task.

"Teacher, let me take up this task. I think Erowan has yet to get over his shock yet. Eric hyung ruffled my hair and teased me.

There was hesitation on Hyesung's face and there was a queer look in his eyes. Eventually, he agreed to let Eric hyung to take up the task.

"Eric, I need to speak to you in private." Hyesung spoke softly.

I saw them entering Hyesung's office and locked the door. They did not come out after a long time. I had no idea what they were talking inside but I could sense that Hyesung was concerned about this task.

Before Eric hyung embarked on his task, Hyesung handed Soul Seeker to him. "You are to return immediately after completing the task and not to get involved with anyone especial the Porwill family."

"Relax Teacher. I am not Erowan. Don't worry." Eric hyung pouted at me which made me roll my eyes.

I was wondering why Hyesung gave Soul Seeker to Eric Hyung. Was this task so complex and risky?

It was more than 2 weeks that we last heard from Eric hyung. Thinking carefully, Eric hyung was in the different dimension for 2 year plus. Eric hyung had never took such a long time to complete his task so far and I was getting worried. I went to find Hyesung in his office and he looked disturbed too.

"Teacher, how come Eric hyung is still not back yet? Have you managed to contact him?"

"I tried contacting him but to no avail." 

"What, Teacher? You can't get in touch with Eric hyung! Is he in any trouble?" I was definitely worried about Eric hyung.

"I am afraid something happened to Eric. Something which I feared had happened to Eric." Hyesung frowned.

"Teacher, does it have anything to do with Porwill family?"

Hyesung looked at me surprised. "Dongwan, do you know the famous member of Porwill? Edward Porwill?"

I nodded and I felt uneasy. Edward Porwill was a ruthless and ambition person who craved for power. He was bestowed with the title of Duke. Edward Porwill almost conquered half of Italy and he got rid of his competitors mercilessly including his family members. The history academic described him as ruthless, violent and fearful.

"Dongwan, Edward Porwill was one of Eric's pastlives."

I was too shocked to reply when I heard that. I could not believe it. "So that is why you wanted me to take up the task, Teacher?"

Hyesung nodded," I actually wanted you to go for this task because you are not related to the Porwill family. You are a better candidate for this task."

"Teacher! Why didn't you say so earlier? If so, I will go for this task!"

"Maybe all this is Eric's destiny."

"What destiny? Teacher, send me to Italy now! I am going to bring Eric hyung back, no matter what!" To me, Eric hyung was like real blood related brother and I valued him. I vowed to bring Eric hyung back at all cost.

"I suspected Eric gotten himself involved with the Porwill family. Edward Porwill is not easy to deal with because he had a witch working for him. She is Melissa and her witch crafts is powerful. You will need this." I gasped when I saw Hyesung handed me another of his weapon - Soul Destroyer. "Take this with you. Whether you managed to bring Eric back, return once you are in danger."

i took Soul Destroyer and looked at Hyesung," I will bring Eric hyung back."

I was worried if I could find Eric hyung and bring him back. Eric hyung was experienced and skillful than me and he had Soul Seeker. Surely he could not be defeated by Melissa? Was Eric hyung met with an unexpected mishap. Eric hyung, please be safe and I am coming for you.

                                           ******************************************************************************************

I arrived in mid century Italy and I was awed by the prosperity of the city. However, I was in no mood to admire the view as I had to locate Eric hyung quickly. I decided to summon the spirit here to ask for Eric hyung's whereabout and I went into a dark and dirty alley to perform my summoning because there were too many people around me.

I took out my summoning talisman and chanted. A greyish figure appeared in the distant and made it's way to me.

"Erowan!"

"Eric hyung!" I gasped. The spirit that I summoned was Eric hyung's. "What happened to you?"

"Erowan, don't worry. I am not dead yet. It is just that half of my soul was sealed away by Melissa. I can't keep in this form for long.  Follow this butterfly and you can find me." Eric hyung disappeared.