Chapter ten

EXO's Dream Girl

Seol's POV

I felt really bad that I couldn't join Chanyeol oppa and the rest of the exo sunbaenims for lunch, but I had two reasons. One, I had to try my hardest for this dancing assignment, for Bora's sake. Two.... I didn't want to risk the fact that I might see Kai sunbaenim, and/or Ji Son sunbaenim. 

"Yah Seol-ah!" I was finally pulled out of my thoughts when Bora threw her towel to me. "Yah, we have to practice. This piece is due in three days." She was so concerned. I felt really bad for not focusing. "Sorry Bora. Let's go over the steps again." She smiled and continued to show me the dance moves. I tried my hardest to make it look easy as Bora. 'This is such a pain...' I thought. 

Before I knew it, our little practice period was over and I had a free "study" period. I waved at Bora before sending her to her class. I really needed to be alone. I decided to go to the garden. Before I would, I went back to our dorm and took my guitar. My guitar was my only escape from this. I just didn't have to bump into Kai sunbaenim. 

I followed my usual route and arrived at the narrow entrance. I checked to see if anyone was around... if Kai sunbaenim was around. Fortunately, no one was. I sighed and escaped into the entrance of the garden. 

I tip-toed inside the garden and popped my head to see if Kai sunbaenim was inside. There was no one there. I sighed inside my head and headed towards the white rusty bench. Once again, I sighed. It was so quiet, so perfect. "I needed this." I said in a sigh. I turned to my left and saw my seed from last night. "Oh right!" I hurriedly moved towards where my seed was safety planted. I smiled at it before returning from my bag with a water bottle. I poured the water over the seedling. 

Once again, I smiled. Although I didn't know what this seed will grow up to be, I would take care of it. It was like my little baby. Brushing the frozen dirt of my uniform,I then returned to the rusty bench. I took out my guitar from my case and started to tune. With it set, I started to strum little melodies. I always loved doing that, appa used to do that when I was little.

Melody after melody, I continued to play until I had decided to sing for once. "Hmmmm~ let's see... ah!" I began to play a melody and awaited my que. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qbIKwvBX48

I finished my last chord and finally took notice that I was crying. I wiped my tears away from my eyes, but they didn't stop coming down my cheeks. "Stupid... Seol-ah, why are you crying over a song?" I sniffled. I knew exactly why. 

-FLASKBACK-

"Appa!" I screamed and ran towards him at a quick pace. "Oh, my dear Seol, what has gotten into you?" Appa asked in Korean. By the time I was in his arms, I was crying. "Appa... umma told me you got sick and your not feeling well. Appa, are you okay? Is it because I am not a good daugther to you?" Appa stiffled a laugh. "Ani, Seol-ah, you are the best daugther a father could have." Appa hugged me even tighter. "I'm fine Seol, appa is only alittle sick. See? I getting better." With that, appa flexed his arms, as I started to smile in between my tears. Appa sighed. "Seol-ah, I''m okay. Stop crying." Appa wiped my tears away and smiled. I buried my face into his chest and he hugged me even more, before kissing my forehead. "Omo, if you have Seol in your hands, where will I go, hm?" I turned around and found umma standing in front of us with her hands folded.I laughed. With that, appa let out a hand and umma willingly came over to join my in appa's lap. "Aigoo, my two girls, what am I going to with you?" I laughed as appa kissed umma's forehead as well.

Umma left for work as appa was in his study room preparing for his class tomorrow. "Appa." Appa turned around and found myself red and puffy from crying. "I.. I had a nightmare." Appa put his work down and held out his hands. I immediately ran over to the embrace of his arms. "Aigoo, my little Seolie, it's okay... it's okay." I started to calm down, but i couldn't sleep. Appa noticed this. "Seol-ah." "Hm?" "Do you want to help me write a new song?" My head rose up from his chest. "Really appa?!" "Mhm." "Okay!" He laughed and he took out his guitar. "Okay, let's start." I was nine, turning ten and it was a weekday. 

I was in appa's arms at 7:30 and it was then (now) midnight. We had gotten the melody down and were starting on the lyrics... before I fell asleep. Umma had come home and saw the scene of appa and I sleeping on the floor next to the guitar and sheets of paper. 

The next morning, I was awoken my umma's gentle shaking. "Seo-ah, you have to wake up for school." I figeted, but eventually got up. Appa was already drinking his coffee and was ready to leave to his work. He smiled at my tired face. "Aigoo, Seolie, we are both tired." I looked up and appa had also drained. I smiled, so did he. "Aigoo, this is what you guys get for staying up so late." Umma said shaking her head. We all laughed before appa kissed umma's cheek and my forehead. "I'm going." I waved at him and looked over at umma. SHe looked concerned. "Are you sure you can work?" Appa sighed before smiling." "Yes honey, I can. I'll see you later." With that he left and I entered the bathroom.

I had gotten dressed and umma and I walked in the warm weather to school. I kissed her goodbye before entering school. During recess, I spent it inside that with my friends, trying to figure out lyrics to me and appa's upcoming song. I got up to the chorus, then gave up. School had ended and appa was there waiting for me. Umma was at work and he had just finished. "APPA!" I ran towards him. "Seol-ah!" He opened his arms and I went inside them. With that, we walked home. After dressing up from my school uniform, I ran to appa's study room. 

"Appa!" I knocked and went inside. We had the same minds, appa was already on the guitar, practicing the melody from last night. "Oh, Seol-ah, do you want to work on the song again?" "Mhm." We spent the next couple of hours adding and earsing lines of the lyrics and tweaking the melody lines alittle more. While we were working, appa started to speak. "Seol-ah, What do you want for your birthday?" "My birthday?" "Mhm, your birthday, it's coming up soon." He was right. It was friday then. My birthday was on the upcoming Wednesday. I thought long and hard about what I wanted before I gave him an answer. "Appa." "Hm?" "I know what I want for my birthday." "What is it?" I looked up to him. "Appa, I want to finish this song and perform it to everyone." He looked down on me and smiled. "If that's what you want, let's get started." We both smiled and continued to work. For the last few days until my birthday, we were just polishing the song. 

It was Wednesday, my birthday. Umma had surprised me with a bed breakfast and small locket. She kissed me after appa came into my room. "Happy birthday Seolie. Your song is ready for yur party." I looked up at him. "Ani, appa. It's our song... yours, ummas and mine." He smiled at me. "Okay. But, we still don't have a title song cover for it though." "Oh, really?" Appa had handed me the sheet music and I re-read the lyrics until I found a title. "Ah! Appa, umma!" I know what to name it. I took a pencil from my side desk and started to cross out and write things out. I gave it back to him as umma was also looking on. "1-4-3?" Appa said confused. "Seol-ah, you also changed some words to 1-4-3." Umma pointed out. "What does it mean?" I smiled. "Umma, appa, 1-4-3 means I love you." The looked over it again and smiled. 

It was the afternoon and my birthday party started. My friends and family were gathered into our small backyard, all of them facing me. Appa had set up the guitar and microphone. Slowly, I went up to the front and took hold of the mic. "Hello everyone. Thank you all for coming to my birthday celebration. I am now turning 10 years old. Because of all of you, I have lived a beautiful life... I love you all. Umma, appa... saranghae." Everyone clapped. I even saw umma start to tear up alittle bit. "Today, I will be performing a new piece, appa and I had made. I hope you like it." Everyone clapped again and i took hold of my guitar and started to play 1-4-3. That was the best birthday of my life.

The next few months were all slow ater my birthday had ended. I would always sing 1-4-3 everywhere I go, which wasn't a burden to anyone... I think. Everything was so perfect. I knew I was greatly loved and I loved them as well. I had the best family in the world. Everything changed when I was called into the principal's office. "Yes? Ms. Won, am I in trouble?" I asked. I came in fully and saw umma next to her, crying. I was starting to get worried. Umma had came in from her work telling me that appa was in the hopsital. He had a heart disease. He was dying. By the time she finished, I was already in her arms and crying my little heart out. The next day was a weekday, so me and uma couldn't go and visit appa in the hospital. For the next month, the house was silent. I remebered how much umma and I missed appa. Finally, it was school break and umma and I were visiting appa. 

Room 120. Umma and I had stepped inside and found appa lying in his bed, motionless. I was starting to cry. "Ap...appa?" Slowly, appa started to move and looked up at me and umma. His face was completely drained of color. He looked so weak. I started to cry even more.He forced a smile. "Oh, Seolie, honey, you're here." He coughed only to make umma run to his side. "I'm alright." Appa said weakly. I just stood by the entrance, frozen. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Appa looked over at me. "Seol-ah, come here." His eyes were still sincere, though he was dying. I couldn't hold my tears and let them all out. Umma followed. I ran towards his bed and cried every little bit of myself out. Slowly, appa rose from the bed and took me in his arms. "Seol-ah, I'm fine... I'll get better, okay?" I was shaking my head. I heard him sigh. "Seol-ah, look at me." I slowly looked up. "I'll get better... I promise." Slowly, umma and I slightly smiled. From then on, we had visiting appa in the hosiptal. He was getting better. It was just about the end of the school year and I was going to graduate... elementary school. Appa looke like he was getting better and umma and I visited him.

"Appa!" I ran towards his bed. Appa was reading a book. "Oh, Seol-ah, you're here." "Appa, guess what? I going to graduate elementary school!" "Really?! Aigoo, I'm so proud." Appa hugged me. "I feel like the proudest father in the world." I laughed. So did umma. "Appa, are you going to come to my cermony? It's tomorrow." Before appa could answer, umma answered for him. "Seol-ah, appa can't come. He has to stay in the hospital." I sighed and looked at appa. "Appa, are you still sick?" He nodded. "Yes, appa's still sick. But don't worry Seol-ah. Umma will video-tape it and then you can come to me again. Okay Seol-ah?" I nodded, but i felt disappointed. I was really looking forward for appa to finally come out of the hospital. Umma and I had kissed appa goodbye and left, ready for tomorrow.

It was graduataion day. Umma had dressed me up and slightly curled my hair. She said I looked like her. I giggled. The cermony began and in the audience, I saw umma with my friend's ummas... and appas, vidoe-taping me. I smiled directly at her when I had recieved awards and my diploma, thinking on how well appa will see this. The cermony quickly ended and I ran towards umma. I chatted shortly with friends and then quickly left wih umma to the hospital. 

Room 120. I greeted the nurses at the front desk as they congradulated me. I bowed and ran upto appas room. I was about to go in when a doctor came out from inside his room. He looked at me with my medals and diploma and pitifully smiled. I didn't know what that meant but uma did. I looke to her and saw her face drop with tears. Rushed, we ran inside and saw appa's body laying on the bed as it always is. I smiled. The nurses left, without noticing me and left me. The doctor was still talking to umma outside, so I decided to go in first. "Appa!" I called. He didn't move. I thought he idn't hear me. "Appa." I called again. "Look, look at all the medals I won and my diploma. HE still didn't move. "Appa? Are you sleeping?" I walked over to his bed and saw his eyes closed. "Ah, you're sleeping... APPA! Wake up!" I yelled. Appa still didn't move. I took his hand, it was ice cold. Only then umma had rushed in and I realized the situation. I didn't want to believe it. "Ap..appa, wake up.You have to wake up, the cermony is over, umma took-- she took a video." I was already crying. Umma was already red from crying. "Appa, wake up...please." Nothing. With that I was crying with all my might hugging umma. Appa was dead. 

Vacation was horrible. We had the funeral for appa. For his sake, we had an American style funeral. It was drizzling. All our close friends and family were there, including the ones from America. Everyone was in black and crying. Umma was a wreck. I tried to be strong for everyone, but it was too hard. I couldn't... I gave up and began to cry as well. We then proceeded with the cermony and then is was time to bury appa. I was already a crying wreck when it was my turn to throw the flower on appa's grave. I couldn't even see with all the tears in my eyes. All this feling was dwelling inside me and I just couldn't take it. I didn't throw the flower. Instead, I ran out of the tent and into the pouring rain. Everyone tried to stop me but couldn't. I was getting wet but I didn't care. 

I looked up that they sky and started to yell. "APPA! PLEASE COME BACK TO US. TO UMMA... TO ME! APPA!!! ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME?! YOU PROMISED! You promised..." I couldn't hold my tears, "you... you promised." Before I knew umma was outside with me hugging me to calm down. I just couldn't deal with this, I continued to cry.

Day by day, I started to feel nothing, umma wasn't going to work, and I stayed locked in my room. Umma knocked on my door before coming in. "Seol-ah, appa left you a letter. I'm not sure you want it, but I'll leave it here, on your bed." She didn't bother to wait for a response and closed the door behind her. Slowly I got up from under my bed and looked at the letter. It read: To Seolie, from appa. I tore it open and began to read it. 

My dear Seolie, if you are reading this letter, that must mean that I have passed on. Today is your gradation day. I know you are standing on that stage and smiling proudly for me to see it on the video tape. I"m sorry Seol-ah. I'm a very bad appa. I had promised you that I would get better, but I didn't keep it. I'm sorry Seol-ah. I'm sorry for leaving you and umma. I didn't want to leave either. Please don't live the rest of your life locked up from the world like I was in the hospital. You still have music, our music. When you play it, I am here in heaven litsening to you and protecting you and your umma. Remember to smile from now on, don't think about this day and keep moving forward. Promise me, okay? And keep your promise. I am writing this to you now because I know I don't have alot of time left. I'm sorry Seol-ah. I will always be the proudest father in the world because I have the best family in the world. I Love you.

                                                                   -Appa

I startd to cry. "Appa... I promise." I looked out from my window. "I promise."

-FLASHBACK END-

I was brought to reality when I heard a twig snap. I looke around through my blurry eyes and saw a figure looking at me. I wiped my puffy eyes to finally see Kai sunbaenim. I was shocked. Where did her come from? "Kai sunbaenim." I said as I bowed. He looked angry, yet pitiful at the same time. We didn't say anything for a while. I was putting my guitar away and wiping my tears away from my memories when I felt a nudge on my shoulder. I turned around and found Kai sunbaenim in front of me, handing me a tissue. "Are... are you okay?" He asked. I took the tissue from him and nodded. "Ye...yes Kai sunbaenim." He slightly smiled and swung his backpack behind his shoulder. He then turned and was about to leave. I had to say something. "Kai sunbaenim!" I called. He stopped. "Thank you." After I said that, he stood there for a second more and then continued to walk out of the narrow entrance and out of my sight. I continued to wipe my tears. "Seol-ah, you're an idiot." I looked up at the widow trees blocking most of the sky. "Right appa?"

Kai's POV

After I left the dining hall, I ran to the garden as fast as I could. I just didn't understand why the hyungs were lying to me, defending that girl from Ji Son and I. I believed Ji Son, she was the one telling the truth. I made myself believe that this is just another scheme the hyungs put up to try and break me and Ji Son up. That wasn't going to happen, not if I have anything to do with it. 

I looked inside the garden. Quiet. That girl wasn't here. Baek- something was her name. I couldn't catch it since she was surprised from seeing my appearance in the garden. I was also surprised. No one but myself knew about the garden, and here she is. I climbed up the big oak tree and laid on one of its thick branches. This oak tree had been my home away from home, away from the dorms. I laid there fiddling with my phone, trying to contact Ji Son, but she didn't answer my texts or calls. I gave up and just laid on the branch, before dozing off in a depressed sleep. 

I was awoken by a female voice... that female voice. That girl was here... again. I opened my eyes and looked over from the branch. She was over by her seed she had planted yesterday night and was now watering it. I scoffed. Umimpressed with her actions. BUt to be fair, she did actuaully love this garden. I quietly sighed as I watched her go back to the rusty bench and watched her take out her guitar. SHe tuned it and then started to play random melodies she came up with. 'She isn't bad.' I thought. 

Her music had actually calmed me down from my heat with Chanyeol. I finally closed my eyes in peace, when she stopped playing. I sighed and looked down to what she was doing. She wasn't doing anything actually. Just thinking. "Hmmmm~ let's see... ah!" I heard her stay. I continued to watch her as she started to play, this time, she was singing. She wasn't vocally bad either. 'Sending 1-4-3, it's not just a simple game of numbers...' is what I continued to sing throughout the song. 

'What the heck did 1-4-3 mean?' I thought to myself. By the time I snapped out of my thoughts, she had stopped playing. I continued to look down, watching what she was doing.  She was crying. I was surprised. Why was she crying? I continued to look down to see herself wiping away the many tears now coming down. It looked like she was in a daze, or... she was thinking of something that had happened in her past. I could tell, I had those moments too. 

I stepped down the oak branch, as my feet landed on some dead twigs. I looked over at that girl to see her wiping her tears to see who was there. I didn' even move. She really was crying, alot. When she finally pulled her hands away from her puffy eyes, I saw her surprised, shocked expression to see me. "Kai sunbaenim." There was the 'sunbaenim' again. She then bowed to me. I could tell that she was having a hard time and pulled out a tissue from my pocket. I approached her. She looked surprised to see me.  

"Are... are you okay?" I asked. She slightly nodded and slowly took the tissue. "Ye...yes Kai sunbaenim." She said, looking away from my gaze. I held in a smile but it came out anyway. It as funny on how she acted. Most girls in this wack school die for this chance with any exo member. She, for sure, was different. I wanted to leave her alone to her thoughts, as she had calmed down mine and was on my way to leave when I heard her voice. "Kai sunbaenim!" I stopped. "Thank you."

I stood there and smiled. Lucky I was turned around or else she would see that. With that, I continued towards the narrow entrance. I was about to leave, but something made me stop to listen in to what she was saying. I leaned my closest to the garden. ".... you're an idiot. Right appa?" I actually let out a quiet laugh. She called herself an idiot. Once again, I didn't get her name. Appa? Was she thinking about her dad? I shook of the guess and left the garden, knowing I was coming back tomorrow.

 

tumblr_static_tumblr_m5iryeadyt1r7zbw5.j f7d28b6dac6932358a6136d0f68778e5.jpg