08 || Back Hug

Backstage Couple

It was spring. The snow has melted away. The coldness supposed to be long gone, yet it still lingers there. It was a cold spring night; the sky was dark and rather gloomy. The cold yet dry wind bites the lonely lady to its bone and flesh. She shudders at it touch, wrapping herself even tighter inside her warm blanket. She sighs, exhaling loudly as her hot breathes form fumes, flying to the dark sky. She rubbed her hands together and cupped her cheek.

Lee Ji Eun was exhausted after hours of flight and weeks without proper sleep. Her plane had just landed an hour ago, and now she’s waiting for someone to pick her up. She was so tired that there were visible dark circles beneath her eyes, her skin tone turn pale, her petite figure turn even skinnier, her eyelids were about to close. Countless tiring sigh keeps on escaping her lips.

An arm suddenly was wrapped around her waist and a chin rested against her shoulder. She could feel hot breath brushing against her ear. It suddenly doesn’t felt cold anymore. She was overwhelmed by the warmth that surrounds her body. A smile suddenly appears upon her lips, as she notices the presence that surrounds her.

“Miss me?” He whispers huskily, a smirk appear upon his face, arrogantly.

“Tsk, no, I don’t.” Jieun chuckled, pouting her lips.

“Well, I do.” He smiled, kissing her hair.

“Sorry, I’m late. It’s kinda crowded today. It has just closed fifteen minutes ago,” he explained, “its cold here. Let’s get into the car.” He wrapped his cardigan around her petite body and held her hand.

“You’re going to catch a cold. You should wear this. I’ll be fine.”

“Jieun, you look very unhealthy, you look pale and you keep losing weight. You’re lacking a lot of rest. You should worry about yourself,” he patted her head, “after all, if I’m cold, I could just hug you.”

Jieun giggled and playfully hits his chest, “Cheesy.”

“At least, I’m not greasy like Woohyun.”

***

Jieun was greeted by 6 warm welcome hugs. Myungsoo brought her to the INFINITE that managed to stay united even after their graduation years ago. Woohyun, much to Jieun surprised, managed to fix his relation with them and decided to be one of them. They greeted her with a warm welcome, excited about her return.

“Noona, you’re back! I miss you so much.” Sungjong run to her, hugging her tightly.

“Jieun, did you lose weight again?” Sunggyu, who unexpectedly become one of Jieun closest friends, asked.

“Jieun, welcome back!” Hoya greeted, together with Dongwoo who’s busy laughing.

“Jieun, why don’t you listen to us singing, now that you’re back?” Woohyun grinned and quickly pulld her closer while Myungsoo rolled his eyes in annoyance.

“Ehm. 2 meter please.” Myungsoo murmurs, while the two just shrugged it off and ignored him.

They entered the spacious room, enough for twenty to thirty people. They sat there, while Myungsoo was still groaning at how close Jieun and Woohyun were. He never thought he will be the jealous type, but he have to admit he’s the obsessive type. He wanted her to look at him only and if it’s possible, he wanted her to avoid other man. Once, they caught up in an argument because of it.

Jieun sat next to Myungsoo and Woohyun was right next to her. Jieun giggled seeing Myungsoo annoyed expression and finally decided to sit closer to him. He quickly held her hand and pulled her even closer. Myungsoo quickly pulled his guitar, strumming it gently.

♪ INFINITE – White Confession ♪

“So Jieun, what do you think?” Sungyeol asked, as soon as they finished the song.

“Umm… Jieun-ssi?” Dongwoo asked, after a few seconds of silence.

“Umm… guys?” Myungsoo whispers slowly, “she’s asleep.”

All eyes quickly darted their gaze on Jieun. She was soundlessly asleep, leaning against Myungsoo’s shoulder. She looked very peaceful, her face was flawless. They all smiled, knowing she must be worn out.

The sweet melody that Myungsoo played fills the air. Their gentle voices blended perfectly. Sure, they often sounded out of the key, but it was enough to drift her to her dreamland. Myungsoo could only smile, seeing how peaceful she looked. Soon, he wrapped his cardigan and put an arm around her shoulder, gently rubbing her back to comfort her.

***

The tingling sounds of the bell breaks the morning silence, transforming it to a nice peaceful feeling. It made people hearts feel lighter. A young lady, wearing a beautiful white coat appeared. She had a beautiful smile and her gaze was as lovely as ever. She looked rather excited and happy. It, too, made the seven boys felt happier, especially the one with a guitar.

Jieun woke up in the morning, finding herself in an unfamiliar room. She was laid on a comfortable king-sized bed. She felt refresh, finally getting a proper sleep after weeks of staying up all night long. Her head was a bit dizzy, but soon she got used to it. A small note was left behind for her to read, it was Myungsoo.

She then remembered falling asleep last night. It was such an inappropriate manner, but she was so tired. A cute giggled escape her lips, as soon as she finished reading the note Myungsoo left behind. He was asking her to rest well and that he’s off to work.

Myungsoo have been working a part-time job at their favorite café for over six months now. He worked together with the INFINITE as singers. Jieun often joined them when she had time but she’s often being abroad nowadays. She never stays longer than two weeks. And today, now that she’s back, it may not be a bad idea to join them.

Myungsoo was excited to see her, when he catches her figure plopping in from behind the door. She hasn’t looked that much better yet, she looked very thin and pale, her dark circles hasn’t faded yet. It’d be better if she had chosen to stay home and rest. However, it’d be naïve of him to say he’d gladly accepted it.

She looked fresher though, and it made him feel relieves. Her smile was heart-warming. Some boys just can’t help it; they can’t take their eyes off the beautiful young lady. It irritates Myungsoo, but he still have to finished his last song before pulling her to his embrace and mark her as his, so no one had the right to make a move on her.

She walked to the counter, ordering some tea and coffee for him. She took the seat for two, located next to the window; somehow the seat has become hers. No one ever took the seat, except her and sometimes Myungsoo. It has the best view; it has the peaceful silence, the best place to spend some quality time alone. She smiled, finally in peace.

“So, how’s the song?” Myungsoo took the seat in front of her.

“It was good. It has a few mistakes, 5 times being out of tune. But it was good; I really like your voice.” She smiled.

“Oh, don’t tell me you fall for me even more just because of my voice. You fall for my voice, don’t you?” He arrogantly folds his arm, forming a sarcastic smirk with his lips.

“Aish… you’re so… unbelievable.” Jieun shook her head in disbelief.

“Shall we order some cake? I guess I’ll have to feed you up from now on.” Myungsoo raises his hand to call the waitress.

“What’s wrong with me? I’ll gain weight again… soon…”

***

It becomes his personal habit and obsession, how he always wishes to sing with her. Today, too, he dragged her to the stage. He handed her a guitar and forces her to go on stage and sing a song with him. He was grinning like an idiot, while Jieun was glaring at him. It has been a long time since they did a duet and Jieun wasn’t sure if she could sing.

Although it wasn’t her first time, still she was nervous. She keeps sighing and her body immediately tense up when Myungsoo strums his guitar and the gentle swaying sound of the music instrument filled the air. He smiled, starting the song before notifying her.

♪ Yonghwa ft. Seohyun – Banmal Song ♪

Although she was nervous, she liked the feeling when she sings with him. She loved his gentle voice; she found it cute when he went out of tune or when his voice cracked. She loved his gentle way of playing the musical instrument, he put his soul and heart to it, it turns very enjoyable. She loved it, when their voice merged as one. She loved it, when he stares at her with his lovely gaze. And when their eyes interlocked, she felt completed.

He’s there and she felt safe. It felt very nostalgic, just like the first time they sang together. They could only care about each other. And she could finally be able to sing the lines perfectly.

He loved it, her soothing voice that would bring peace upon his mind. He loved her lovely gaze and the soul she put upon the song. She may not be a pro, but she was brilliant. Myungsoo truly love the way she sings. And their gaze was locked to each other.

***

“I haven’t asked you about your trip.” Myungsoo opened the door for her.

“It was fun. The fashion show was tiring but it was fun!” she smiled, walking next to him.

“Did you meet your mom?” Myungsoo asked gently, knowing it had become a rather sensitive topic to Jieun.

It was a bitter smile that soon curls up her lips. She shook her head, looking up to meet his gentle gaze. “No.”

“You’ll meet her soon,” he smiled.

“Aren’t you looking for a job?” Jieun tried to change the topic.

“I am. It’s quite hard to look for a job as a photographer nowadays.” Myungsoo murmurs.

“What should we do then?”

“You owe me 16 dates, Lee Ji Eun. Why don’t you start paying them?” He smirks.

***

It was empty, as usual. Jieun has moved from her own apartment, back to her mother’s mansion. The maids and butlers were happy to see the young lady back. It might sound as a harsh decision, but Jieun had spent some time thinking about it.

It was silence, as usual, until Mrs. Kwon come and greets her – as how a mom supposed to greet her daughter after a long trip away from home. Jieun smiled at her and quickly entered her room. She was tired; Myungsoo brought her to Myeongdong today, making her owe him 15 more dates.

Her apartment was now empty; now that she often live abroad and that Pil Suk was sent to Japan to study. They have grown apart over years, but that doesn’t mean they have run out of love. It was their different schedules that have been keeping them apart. Pil Suk would return every Christmas, while Jieun would have to leave.

She shut both her eyes closed, home sweet home, although the atmosphere doesn’t feel like home at all. Her phone vibrated one last time, it was Myungsoo. He wishes her a good night and sweet dreams, giving her the peaceful rest she needed.


Author Note

What am I actually writing? Well, I don't even know! I just feel like writing... So, count this as a filler chapter! I just feel like writing some random chapters about the two!