01 || The Present

Backstage Couple

It was December, again. The weather was cold, since winter has come, and soon it will be Christmas. The decoration has started to fill the street of London, with lightning and huge trees, ready to welcome Christmas. Snow has been falling non-stop for the last few days, considering how it frequently happens these days, there’s no need of confusion. However, the coldness was unbearable.

The young lady exited the tall and glamour building, wearing a thick coat as she wrapped herself with another extra layer of sweater. Her breathes were creating the fumes, flying up to the sky. It was night that it is hard to get a clear view of her face and features. Her high heels has been hurting her legs, judging by the way she walks. She can’t really walk properly, and there were faint bruises on her ankle.

It is obvious, how the word tired was written all over her face. Rather than calling it night, maybe the time would fit the title midnight better, it was over 2 a.m. yet she’s still out. There were black circle underneath her eyes, a clear one, as if she has been force to work non-stop. It was somewhat scary, that the thought of it being able to fade away is a miracle. She would have to spend quite a lot of money for those to disappear. From time to time, a tiring sigh would escape her lips, and sometimes her gaze turns empty from too much thinking.

Her lips were turning pale beneath the pink lipstick she applied. It tremble, as the cold wind pass by, greetings her flesh and bones. Her petite body shivers, as she tightened her coat around her body. Her body might have gone even smaller, losing lots of weight after having to undergo such busy days. It’s actually amazing how she’s still capable of walking, talking, and even doing things normally. She must be a superwoman or somewhat having an extra immune for not getting sick.

She gave a little massage to her pounding head. She wasn’t attending a club just now, yet the music was very loud. She’s meters away from the building, yet the loud noise could still be heard clearly. She could see flashes of camera, coming against another like thunder. It’s even tiring, knowing the fake smile she has to create in front of it. She has to keep up with the public liking, abandoning her care for herself. It has been a week without sleep for her, and maybe it would have to keep going on for another two week.

Despite all the tiring jobs she had to do, she’s having a wonderful time working. The fashion shows, it has finally ended nicely with everything arranged on place. It’s worth it, a week without sleep, although when this perfectly ends, she might collapse. She continued walking along the street, alone, in the middle of the night. It is somehow scary and dangerous, yet she has gone used to it.

“Mm… Ms. Jieun?” A man called from behind.

Is it another round of it?

She sighs again, rubbing her hand together to warm herself up before faking a smile and faced the man. She managed to prevent herself from cursing under her breath, much to her delight and relieves. It was another figure, a new one, a stranger she had only known at the fashion show just now. His figure was great – tall and well-built. His blonde hair shines beneath the moon’s glow. He has a gentle smile and nice manner, yet somehow Jieun wasn’t attracted to him.

“Yes. Pardon me, you are…”

“James. We talked just now, at the backstage. I was one of the designer assistant, if you could recall.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. I do remember you, it’s just… it’s dark and I can’t get a clear view of you. Do you need something? I would be glad to talk to you but I’m in a hurry now.” Jieun half-heartedly smile.

“Oh, it won’t take long. I could you home and we could talk along the way. Mind if I join you?”

“I could go home on my own. I’ll be fine. Thanks for your concern.”

“Well, won’t a pretty lady like you be in danger? You’re walking alone in the middle of the night, this is a dark alley. Although London is safe, you should be careful. I’ll accompany you, don’t mind me.”

Pretty lady, oh she knows where this is going, and suddenly a rose pop up out of nowhere, as the man offers it to her. Honestly, every woman would find this man attractive. Even she found his accent quite lovely, he’s good-mannered, and the way he dressed fit her taste perfectly. Yet despite his perfect features, she found no interest to the man. She half-heartedly accepted the rose as the two continued to walk along the dark alley.

“I heard you’re from Korea, quite an accomplishment you got there.”

“I am. It’s been two years now. You have quite a great work; it’s hard to found a talented man like you nowadays.”

“Have you seen my works? I’m planning to open my own boutique soon.”

“Really? I will look forward to it and don’t forget to invite me for the grand opening.”

“Of course, how could I miss out someone like you? It won’t be a great success without your best wishes.”

“You’re being too much, I’m not that good.”

“When you’re working as Alexander McQueen personal assistant? I doubted that. I’ll look forward to your future works. It will definitely be splendid.”

“Are you, by any chance, going to Milan next week? I’m going to start off my career there, at the fashion week.”

“Wow, that must be great. I’ll be cheering on you. I guess we won’t be meeting each other soon. I’ll be in New York next week.”

“Good luck then. Maybe I’ll attend the fashion week there, if I have some time.”

“Jieun, I found you quite charming. You’re very beautiful and nice. It’s fun talking to you and not to mention you’re extremely talented. I think I’m started to get attracted to you, and more than that, liking you is easy.” He joked.

“Thank you.”

“Perhaps, by any chance, are you in a relationship? I mean, people said that you’re not. If it’s the truth that maybe we could start… knowing each other?”

It wasn’t her first time, suddenly being approach by a stranger she had just known, and suddenly receiving a confession and being asked to go on dates. She clears things up though, although this is partly her mistake. On her first day of arriving in London, until the next few months or even years, she stated that she’s single and free. It attracted lots of boys, something she hated.

This, she has actually expected the confession, but she has yet to think about the replied she will have to give. She’s deadly tired now, and this isn’t something she would like to face when her head pounds. Some of them may gives a positive reaction upon the rejection she gave yet most of them may give a negative reaction upon it. She was once almost got assaulted by one of the males out there. A part of her was deadly scared of male, confessions, and rejections. It hasn’t been long since it happens and since then, she looked at males in different way.

“Uhh… James, how do I explain this? I… actually have a boyfriend. I’m actually having a quite serious relationship now.” Jieun looked down.

“Pardon?”

“I’m in a relationship with someone.” Jieun firmly explained.

“Oh, too bad. I guess I’m unlucky enough.” James smiled, although there was bitterness hidden beneath it.

Jieun sighs in relieves, knowing he’s quite a good guy. You could conclude his reaction as a positive one, something that wouldn’t endanger her. It feels uncomfortable to reject someone, yet she has no choice but to do it. It hasn’t been long since she’s back in a relationship, maybe that’s why not many people have known it. She’d rather keeping it a secret rather than bragging around, it would be deadly embarrassing although she wonder what the other party is doing.

“I’ll have to get going now. I have bunch of things to do at home.”

“Sure, I’ll help you call a taxi then. Be careful, Ms. Jieun. We’ll see each other soon, let’s remain friends.” He remarks.

“Uh, no need. My apartment is just a few blocks away. I’ll be fine. Thanks.” Jieun walked away, waving her goodbye before reverting back to her original self.


Although London is known as a busy city, especially when it comes to midnight, there are some places that remain peaceful – a place, far away from the auctions, the clubs, the busy night shift, a peaceful place to enjoy your rest after a long tiring way. Jieun was lucky enough, to have her apartment at a peaceful place. It is quite rare to find the peacefulness in London during night. The city is busy enough to stay awake for the whole day.

The peacefulness soon turns silence, although it wasn’t something thrilling. Nobody likes silence, in a dark alley, where everything seems very dark and lonely, not to mention cold and empty. Jieun could clearly hear the clacking sound – the sound created by her heels crashing against the ground. She could only hear her own footsteps and sometime she would find it quite creepy. She would fasten her pace, but today she’s too tired to force out anymore energy.

She rubbed her hands together, as the hot pack turned useless. Her legs shivered, wearing a short dress wasn’t a good idea at all. She had worn the coat, but it didn’t help at all. She should’ve brought more hot pack or else she might be freezing to death just because of a fifteen minutes walk to her apartment. She would like to call it her home, yet it is too empty and too lonely to be called home. She wonders if she had ever felt what home feels like.

Her ankle started hurting even more. She sighs again, as her hot breath touches the cold winter night, and bursts as fumes. It made her feel even creepier. Her head started to pound even more, as she started to curse underneath her breath. A twist change of a character she had there, once things got too much, could spill the wrong words.

Something inside her bag suddenly vibrated, which definitely be her phone. She had always set her phone to vibration; it would no longer ring like the old days. It helped a lot; it prevents those unnecessary phone calls and simply spams text messages from bothering her busy days. She’s too busy sometimes, even to eat, or to blink. It is obvious how a single phone calls or even a hello would be a waste of time for her. She’s considered throwing away her phone before, but soon withdraws the decision after much persuasion.

She harshly took her phone out, as it vibrated non-stop. She wasn’t in any condition to face anymore conversation. She might collapse and fell asleep right away, once she reaches her apartment. However, seeing the caller ID and his photo managed to cheer her up. Her frowns soon turned upside down, she finally could genuinely smile without any burden about meeting the public expectations. Her heart jumps, as her finger excitedly presses the green-colored button.

“Hello,”

“Hello, good morning~.”

Jieun chuckled, such a spoiled boy he is, yet knowing his true nature would changes a person point of view. It’s been years since her departure to London, and she has been able to move on. She met a boy, another boy who once again caught her attention and took her bait. She’s happy, despite the rare meeting the two could have.

“Wasn’t it supposed to be a good night?”

“Oh yeah, I forgot about the time zone. Sorry about that. How’s your day?”

“Not bad, I guess.”

“I know that sigh, who is it today? I told you not to dress so beautifully so fewer guys would be attracted to you. You do reject them, don’t you?”

“No, I accepted three of them,” she rolled her eyes sarcastically, “I’m in a relationship, I should accept them. What do you think I would say?”

“Have you eaten yet?”

“It’s midnight, but no. I don’t have time to eat nowadays. I’m dead tired.”

“Don’t you get enough sleep? I can’t sleep last night, whose fault is that? You didn’t call me; you forgot to sing me my favorite song!” He whines.

She smiled; he’s trying to do aegyo, despite his distaste when it comes to do aegyo. He may sound spoiled and rather whiny, but well, he’s a whole different person once you met him. Jieun can’t help but feel attracted to him, more and more, and ended up taking his bait as he took hers. Yeah, she’s in a relationship and she’s very happy about it. She’s in a relationship, with….

Kim Myungsoo.

“Sorry, Myungie~. I was too busy these days. I will make sure to call you next time.”

“Yah! What’s with my name? It sounded all fluffy, huggable, and all cute, Jieunnie~.”

“Okay then, L. I’m sorry. I was busy preparing the fashion show. It gone well. How about your day?”

“Jieun, you did it again! It’s Myungsoo, not L, not Myun-,” he groaned, “Myungie. Myungsoo. Myungsoo. Call my name properly.”

“You told me to give you some kind of nickname. Myungie is the only thing I could think of.”

“Okay then, IU. I’ll never call you Jieun again. My day has gone just fine, although I can’t have a nice dream because of you!”

“Myungsoo-ah, you’re being whiny again.”

“I know! It’s just nice talking to you. I called you ten times today, and you had only picked it up once!”

“Sorry.”

“You must be tired by now. Go home safely and take some rest. I know you haven’t been sleeping for almost a week. You’ll get sick. Don’t forget to eat, take vitamins, don’t overworked yourself and take a good care, okay?”

“I know. I’ll just have to finish a bunch of work again. I’ll make sure to take care of myself. Take a good care of yourself too.”

“When will you be back?”

“In three to four weeks, a month maybe? I have yet to visit Millan, Tokyo, and New York.”

“That long? How are we going to meet if you’re always away? You owe me dates, Lee Ji Eun. Let me count… 16, how are you going to pay it off?”

“Whose fault is it? You’re in London two weeks ago, you should’ve stayed longer.”

“Isn’t it your fault? You’re staying too long in London.”

“I have works to do.”

“I miss you, just come back soon, okay? I’ll wait.”

“I miss you too. See you.”

They’re taking it slow, their newly began relationship. Jieun was slowly opening up to what love is, the possibility that her heart has already felt what love is. Jieun was slowly relying more and more about love, and to him. She was hesitant at first, yet he managed to convince her as he led the two to another beginning of a relationship. Nothing has been decided yet, about the relation between the two. Yet right now, the two believes, it is another chance to guide a relationship based on love, as lovers.

Her decision must have sounded harsh, that many people questioned her sudden decision to get back being in a relationship. After her departure, after their break up, they remain stranger without any connection. Yet what brought the two back on track? She doesn’t even want to think about it. She stares for quite a while at her phone, before regaining her strength and continued walking. She’s happy and all cheered up thanks to him, Kim Myungsoo.


Author Note

Hello, there! As always, this is theadorable.

There you go, my first chapter of Backstage Princess sequel!

Hopefully you could enjoy reading it! Tell me how you feel about it.

Don't forget to comments and subscribe! Thank you.

I'm putting all my story on hold right now, until Cliche is finished.

Hopefully this one would be an exception.