02 || The Past

Backstage Couple

It was two years after her departure to London, things have surely changed. Nothing could stay the same after two years, especially when she cut off all of her contacts with her friends back in Korea. She lives her life to the fullest, forgetting everything behind, leaving everything behind, as she loses herself in track of time. She, herself, might have even changes. The thought of change, was something scary to her.

She hates changes; she wasn’t the type to adjust easily. She would suffer from such a trauma or at least depression, when the world brought her to a new life. She would miss the old days too much. And now, knowing things have been going on for two years, going back will be something impossible. She fears it, facing the changes she will have to bear, once she met them again. She doesn’t know them anymore; their contacts were all cut off weeks after her departure. She did it herself.

She made London to be a place where her life finally begun. She forgets all her past, as she managed to bury them under her skin. She forgets all of it, friends, relatives, and everything. She changes her phone number, her e-mail address, she avoid everything that might made them come in contact with each other. It was wrong and she was well-aware of it, but a part of her was afraid to face them.

It would be a lie to say she never misses Korea that she never thought of going back. She misses it, Korea, her friends, Pil Suk, and everything. Yet there was one thing that have been keeping her from coming back. She couldn’t actually figure it out. It was eventually something, she keeps rejecting, pushing it out of her heart, to avoid getting hurt. She doesn’t want to get hurt, despite how strong she really is. She’s afraid to get hurt. Her heart keeps missing Korea, it wants to come back but her fear was preventing her.

It was a tough decision, how she finally took out her luggage and fills it with piles of clothes. It was another round of tough decision and hesitation, how she booked the plane tickets to Korea. It was another round of anxiety, how her head keeps on remembering things, things she would like to forget. She can’t just arrived there, acting as nothing has happened, acting as nothing has changed. Things have changed, that’s for sure. She’s no longer that Backstage Princess people used to call her. London has changed her.

She doesn’t have the slightest idea of how the INFINITE would like, how Jiyeon has changed, or simply how Woohyun has been keeping up with life. She doesn’t have any idea about how well they are, although there were times when she wonders how things have been going back there. She doesn’t have the courage to ask, as she hid them, making them a part of her forgotten past. Nobody would expect the kind Jieun to drastically cut off all connections, yet she did it.

She remembers being told about the chaos she created in the school, a day after her departure was officially announced by the school. People were upset, especially her fan boy, and another man – whom she had forgotten or rather decided to erase him. Her name was fame, and people just know her. She was actually embarrassed regarding the news, being the centre of attention wasn’t something she likes, but actually happy – they cared about her. That was the last thing she ever heard from Korea, before things started to crumble and she decided to lead a new life.

She started everything in London from zero. And now, she’s almost on top of glory. There are things that supposed to be kept secret, things that happened in London. There are things that people wouldn’t be pleased to hear, things that might trigger another round of fight. Her head was spinning around, and her heart was jumping, too nervous for her departure back to Korea. The first time for years, something she had only decided the night before.

***

“Yah! Woohyun!” Jiyeon voice echoed, early in the morning.

“What? Stop yelling, I’m trying to get some sleep here! Little dino, shut up!” Woohyun rolled his eyes, going back to his deep slumber.

She sighed, as her eyes gazes through the window. Two years, she hasn’t met her best friends for two consecutive years. Not only they failed to meet each other, they haven’t talk to each other, or even simply asking for each other well-being. She stops calling her, as Jieun did the same. Jieun was the one to cut off all connection; it was her fault to begin with. She would have scolded her, but she was worried regarding her well-being and life there in London.

Things may have changed, or may have not changed at all. There are no longer the juniors, the first year. They are no longer the freshman; they will soon graduate, being the freshmen in college. She wonders how she is right now, whether she has graduated or whether she’s doing fine with her studies. Did she ever wonder about her well-being, about the INFINITE, Woohyun, or even that man? How about Pil Suk?

Speaking about Pil Suk, Jiyeon was left with the responsible to watch over her. She’s doing fine, and even managed to gather much more friends. Her studies were something more than well, almost as excellent as her sister is. Yet there are times when Jiyeon could sense her loneliness, her sadness, as she can no longer meet her dearest sister. Sometimes, Jiyeon wonders if the siblings ever talk to each other ever since Jieun departure. No one knows about her, her connections or phone number, she changes it all without an announcement.

“Hey, dino! Stop sighing! Fire would start coming out from your nose!” Woohyun teases, throwing a paper plane.

“Yah! Stop disturbing me! I’m thinking!”

“As if your head could still work.”

“Woohyun, do you think she will come back?”

The bickering soon comes to an end, as it leads to a silence. It was a question Jiyeon would ask each time vacation arrives. The two girls have been a close best friend for a long time, being apart from each other wasn’t easy at all, especially when Jieun cut off all of their connection, leaving the two distant. Although Woohyun and Jiyeon don’t seems to be fond of each other, they could slightly understand each other, when it comes to Lee Ji Eun.

Everyone was upset about her departure and things got worse once they lose their connection with her. Everyone was upset and disappointed, no one could deny that. Woohyun was being moody for almost a week, staring at his phone before eventually crushing it and dumping it. The INFINITE were unhappy, especially the grumpy Myungsoo, not to mention the lemon candy boy, Sungjong. But Jiyeon was the one who got affected the most, she was worried, upset, and disappointed. Even until now, when everyone has finally moved on and slowly erasing her, Jiyeon was still holding on to their friendship.

It was a wrong move; no one could actually believe what Lee Ji Eun had done. No one could understand her move; it is rare for her to do something like that. She didn’t even come back for once in two long years, when she definitely could. The only person she ever call was Pil Suk, that’s all, and nothing more. Jiyeon misses her, as a friend should, and she hopes she would comeback soon enough.

“I don’t know,” Woohyun sighs, “we don’t even know how she is.”

“Do you think she’ll comeback this year? It will be our graduation, and Pil Suk’s too.”

“Yeah, in months. We still have some upcoming festivals to take care of.”

“Don’t you miss her?”

“We all do, stupid little dino.”

***

“Morning, L.” Sungyeol greeted, as the INFINITE gathers up.

“Mm. Morning.” He replied, coldly, without any tone.

Kim Myungsoo has been keeping up with life for the past two years. Things went well, even after Jieun departure, which meant her departure from his life as well. Being single wasn’t something as bad as he thought it would be. He could hang out; have fun, simply not thinking about love. Love is indeed something complicated, it gave him headache. However, it would be a lie if he said he never misses the feeling of a woman’s presence by his side. Yet no one could replace that particular girl, no one.

How’s life been? It’s fine. Nothing particular happens, it’s just life, day by day, living up and keeping up with it, hoping miracle would happen. He has reverted back to his original self, how he was before meeting Jieun – cold-hearted man, with cruel and brutal words and sometimes action, smart brain, and cold stares. He turns quiet and boring. He wasn’t that person who hangs out nicely, like the old days when he’s with Jieun. The good changes she has once brought upon him, has fade away within two years.

As how Jieun had mentioned it before, her final request before her departure, for the two to not keeping in contact with each other and remains as stranger. There are no longer lover, bound by relationship or even something called love – they are strangers. It would be a lie if Myungsoo stated he never attempt to call her or simply text her. He tried, only to receive no reply. He soon finds out that Jieun had cut off all connection with those in Korea.

Whoever said he gave up, they were wrong. He tried to search for her number, although in the end he can’t contact her, because they are strangers who were bound with nothing. He doesn’t have any business to settle with her. He just wanted to know she’s safe, she’s there, safe and sound. Yet no one knows her number, her connections, even Pil Suk has no idea. Jieun would call her once in a while, via skype, that’s it.

“Winter vacation will start soon! Where should we head?” Dongwoo exclaimed.

“Woah, it’s winter! It’s vacation! Christmas! I can’t wait for Christmas!” Sungjong clapped.

“Woah! Woah! I want to make snowman! Snowballs!” Sungyeol yelled loudly.

“I know a good one, a village, up in the hill.” Sunggyu suggested.

“Hill? Do you want to get us frozen? A village? Hyung, it’s better be a good one.” Hoya disagreed.

“Bring your sweaters idiot! What do you think, L?”

“Anywhere is fine.”

“Ah! I know! I would just bring Jieunnie’s sweater! It’s warm and nice!” Hoya exclaimed.

Jieun.

Lee Ji Eun.

IU.

The euphoria soon died down. Hoya made a mistake, he said the forbidden word. Myungsoo gazes changed, from cold to even colder. The slight pain was obvious, that it hurts other member. They know what he’s thinking, despite the words that are yet to be spilled out even after two years. He still had it, her presence lingers around him, her scent lingers in his nose. She hasn’t comeback yet, will she ever comeback? He wonders, they all wonder.

“L hyung, do you think noona will comeback this year?” Sungjong asked, earning slaps and glares from the members.

Sungjong was the other person, who misses Jieun the most, other than her two best friends, her ex-boyfriend, and her childhood friend. He treated Jieun as his own sister, something he would like to have. However, no one has ever mention Jieun’s name, since it will only trigger Myungsoo’s grumpy attitude and he will turn all gloomy. He will become upset or sometimes he would just explode and bursts, venting his anger on something or even someone.

“I don’t know. We’re just strangers.”

It was an answer, given by the cold boy, each time he was being asked something regarding the woman. We’re just strangers, the words were carved inside his heart, as he has to hold on to that pain. Her words, it sticks closely to him, as he finally accepts the reality that they are no longer in a relationship. Nothing bound them and it hurts. No matter how hard he tried to keep it cool, it hurts.

The first week after her departure was easy. The words love she conveyed to him was something unforgettable, something that keeps ringing in his ear, and made him smile. He was all cheered up, enjoying his winter vacation without any problem. Yet as days passed by, weeks, and finally months, he comes to realization, their love is something unrequited.

“L, move on. You have her now.” Sunggyu sighs.

***

Nam Woohyun managed to fix his bad relationship with the INFINITE within the two years given. They wasn’t in a good term either, they simply fixed their hate-hate relationship, to something better. Classmates, they know each other name and existent, but spent no attention to each other life. They would help when requested, but nothing more. The hate is slowly fading away.

However, he too, reverts back to another brat. He’s being all haughty and naughty; he’s starting to be rude again. Without Jieun who would keep him on track, he started to revert back to his nature. He fights, just like the old days, much more than he usually does. He create chaos inside the school, although it wasn’t something that much significant. Thankfully, Jiyeon was there to hold him back.

There were emptiness inside him, something he would have to fill or else it might drove him crazy. He can’t contact Jieun at all and it was very upsetting. He wonders if she has forgotten him, and slowly he decided to erase her. Yet he can’t. Lee Ji Eun was and is someone important to him; he can’t just shove her out of his head. And yes, he can’t come to hate her no matter how hard he tried. He would end up worrying over her, thinking over her.

Jieun loves winter; at least it is how he remembers it. She left on a cold-winter day, and he’s hoping she would comeback soon. She was away, for years, until the clothes she gave him could no longer fit with his grown up body. She was away for years, until those clothes turn ugly and the colors started to fade. She was away, missing the moments he had, as she failed to notice anything.

And now, when it’s finally winter again, the snow keeps reminding him of her. Jiyeon statement was upsetting, as he misses her even more. They are friends and might have to remain friends forever. But he didn’t mind, he has given up, ages ago, when she decided to date Myungsoo and fell for him. But he, he will be there to catches her if that man ever let go or hurt her. He’ll be there to catch her and to protect her. For now, all he could ever wish for was for her to comeback.

***

She wonders why the wind felt so good. It was rather harsh and cold, it stung her to her flesh and bones, yet it felt nice and good. It felt excellent; it felt friendly, and rather nostalgic. It feels like they are greetings here, welcoming her. It touches her hair, her skin, as it let her hair float in the air. It made her smile, as the tingling feeling starting to reignite inside her.

Memories are starting to go back and forth, penetrating through her head, her tired body and the major jet lag she suffers from. Her feet soon landed, standing her ground where it all begins. Her lips form a smile, as her right hand drag a huge luggage with her. She sighs, as her eyes wander around, trying to see the difference it has after two long years.

The sky, it felt as nostalgic, as beautiful, and as friendly as ever. The snow has fallen, creating a layer of snow on the street. Even the trees seem nostalgic, and she was starting to miss it even more. It feels so close yet distant. Her heart was jumping around, excited to finally comeback. However, there are things she will have to settle because things seem to be in chaos after she left. And as for now…

Lee Ji Eun is back.


Author Note

Hi, there! Chapter 2 is up! I made it to a few division, where I wrote about each characters point of view. How was it? You may found it a bit boring, since I may have used the same word all over again, again and again. Well, hope you like it! Enjoy! Comments and subscribe! I will try to update soon!