The Storm [1]

Backstage Couple

Lee Ji Eun sat on her bed, still staring down at the wedding invitation. She was hurt and confused. It was clear to her, why her mother was so silent back then. Again, she was trapped in her mother’s game. She was hurt, more and more, by her own mother. She did not know what to do. A lot of things spun inside her head, especially when Myungsoo refused to pick up her calls. The INFINITE didn’t know where he was either. Everything was a mess.

She wondered if Wooyoung knew about this. She wondered if he went to Korea on her mother request to do such a thing. The Jang Wooyoung she knew wouldn’t do anything to hurt her, but people change, don’t they? She had started to have doubts on him ever since the drama request, the kiss scene, and the set up dates. Wooyoung would apologize countless time, he hadn’t stopped apologizing, yet still the ‘coincidences’ happen all the time. She knew her mother was playing games with her; Wooyoung could or couldn’t have known.

He hasn’t called, so maybe he didn’t know about this. Maybe it would be better if he remained oblivious to it, she would have to deal with lesser problems. What she felt right now, she didn’t even know. She can’t eat, can’t breath, can’t live. As cliché as it sounded, it was far worse than having her heart broken by Myungsoo last time. All she has been doing was staring down at the wedding invitation with a blank expression, reading the written name again and again. She would stare at nothing with her mind going blank. Her head suddenly stopped working.

It worried Mrs. Kwon. She locked herself up in her room, unwilling to let anyone in, and unresponsive. She had been this way since morning and worse after Myungsoo suddenly left. She sent all the maids and butlers to the new real estate she had bought a few weeks ago, requesting it to be fixed and tidied. She sent Mrs. Kwon away, too. She wanted to be alone. As much as the maids respected her privacy, they knew it was not the young mistress they usually knew. She was completely depressed.

While Kim Myungsoo, in the other hand, finally feel the euphoria and the ecstacy he had longed for. He drank much more than he was capable of, even more than the last hangover. He knew it wasn’t going to end well, he knew this would probably end badly, still he didn’t care. All he wanted was to crush this painful feeling inside him. And if this was the only way, he would do it. He knew if he couldn’t control this painful feeling, he might grew to hate her more. His head stopped working the moment he left the bar.

His feelings overjoyed him, but it was different from yesterdays. He felt happy and a moment later sad. He would laugh, then wailed without a reason. He had a surge of anger and hate inside, as he swayed his way toward nowhere. He walked along the empty dark street, remain unrecognizable with his hoodie. He looked like a typical drunk man. He even left his car at the bar. He probably would arrive back home by foot, if he could remember the way back.

Lee Ji Eun… Lee Ji Eun… he hated that woman.

***

The relieveness in her eyes was immediately replaced by horror. His presence used to serve an immediate comfort to her, but not right now. The event that took place months ago suddenly hit her hard with his presence. Kim Myungsoo was here, wasn’t she supposed to be happy? She hoped she had been happy, but she couldn’t. Clearly, neither of them was in their right state of mind, especially him. Jieun trembled at his presence and the familiar booze that greeted her. It was still crystal clear. Her trauma still haunted her at times. She might hate him if something happened again. She didn’t want to hate him.

His half-lided eyes and mischiveious smirk scared her even more. It was so similar to that night, the night where her father leave scars inside the two sisters. Jieun wanted to believe in her man, that he would not hurt her. But what could she do when she was so afraid? She froze in her spot, knowing that taking a step back might hurt him and taking another step forward could hurt her. She was relieved that the hurt and hurting cycle stopped, but it had started again. The relief came to her too quickly, that she was not prepared.

He was insane, with his weird laughs and sudden wails. Jieun knew he was drunk, so why did he end up in her place? She must be the last person he wanted to see right now. She hurt him. If only he was conscious, she would have wrapped her arms wound him and apologized, and explain everything that needed to be explain. He probably won’t understand, still it would worth it. But right now, she wanted to run away from him. She was scared.

“Jieun-ah,” He smirked at her, it sent shuddered. She feared him; still she begged her heart not to hate him.

She couldn’t read his eyes; it was the first for her. His eyes looked so dark, as dark as it could get. It looked hateful and angry. It looked hurt but also happy. She couldn’t figure it out. She remained silent. When he reached for her wrist, she took a step backward that clearly upset her. He looked very hurt, but she also needed to defend herself. How she wished nights like this never existed. Kim Myungsoo, why did he drink when he clearly knows Jieun would hate it? She silenced her thoughts knowing it was partly her fault, she hurt him.

“Jieun-ah,” He grabbed her wrist. She simply yelped at the sudden force. He was forceful, as forceful as her father was that night. She struggled and stared at him in horror, only for him to tighten his grip on her. “Why…?” He pulled her closer and his breath brushed against her nose. He smelled terrible.

“Myungsoo,” she whimpered at the pain, “please.”

“Jieun-ah,” he traced her jaw and lifted her chin, forcing her to stare back at him. “You told me he was nothing so why are you marrying him? Am I not enough?”

Lee Ji Eun feared man’s touch. She feared man’s touch as how he bullied her sister in the old days. She feared man’s touch as how her father was abusive that night. She feared man’s touch as how rough he could be in the old days. She feared man’s touch and him touching her like this did not make things any better. She was very scared. She struggled but her body won’t move. She was trembling, every touch sent shudders of fears down her spine. She did not like it.

“Myungsoo,” she whimpered again and moved her face away from his touch. “please. Please. I’m begging you.”

“Why are you begging to me? Do you really want to marry him? Am I not enough?” He tugged her hair behind her ear. She shut both her eyes closed, terrified. His touches were cold, rough, and forceful. “I love you, Lee Ji Eun. I really do love you. So why am I not enough? Should I prove you how much I love you?”

Jieun stared in horror when his roughly force her to face him. His eyes darkened. She knew what was happening and she knew she would needed help or at least ran away. She struggled harder and he used even more force. She yelped and she pushed him away and it seemed she moved the wrong way. He became even angrier.

“Myungsoo… Myungsoo… don’t!” She shrieked when his face came closer, against her pushing force. “Please, don’t! Myungsoo, don’t!” When he closed the distance between them, ready to catch her lips, she slapped him. For a brief moment, he let go of her and she quickly shut the door close. But she was woman and he was a man, she was too slow and weak, and he was too quick and strong.

He forcefully caught the door and pushed her off until she stumbled down and fell. He quickly lifted her up forcefully, catching her by the wrist as she once again yelped in pain. His touches were rougher and colder than before. She silently begged him, but it didn’t work. It was not Kim Myungsoo, was it? He can’t be Kim Myungsoo. She was desperate not to hate him and he was giving her more reason to hate him. Would it be her fault if she hated him?

He wrapped his arm around her tightly, pushing their body closer. “I’ll prove you how much I love you.” He stated and raked his fingers against her back. She struggled, slapping his arms away only for his force to grow even more. He attacked her neck and scratches her back forcefully. She whimpered and yelped in pain, again and again, and begged and struggled. She pushed her away, but her force was turning weaker with every pain and trauma that hit her hard. This was worst than that night.

“Myungsoo… please don’t make me hate you.”

“Too late, I already hate you.” He replied coldly.

***

When Sunggyu received the call that night, all he heard was the screaming and painful shrieked. There was countless sound of struggle that worried him. Cleary, it was her voice. She didn’t say a thing; she was busy trying to protect herself. But Sunggyu knew the reason she called must be help. She needed help, while Lee Ji Eun rarely needed help. He tried to call for Myungsoo, her soon-to-be-boyfriend, but he was nowhere to be found. Maybe, the visual was having another meeting with their CEO about his upcoming dramas or modeling projects.

The boys quickly scrambled on their feet and rushed, especially Woohyun and Hoya who couldn’t hide their shock. They saw Lee Ji Eun three months ago on real life and everyday on broadcast, so for her to be suddenly in danger was unbelievable. Woohyun head was pounding, his chest was beating loudly, and he couldn’t sit still. He kept asking for Dongwoo to drive faster and faster, despite the night being cold and dark. The boys were afraid.

When they found her, they made it ten minutes late. She found her lying on the ground and what made them mad was the fact that she needed help to save herself from Myungsoo. Kim Myungsoo was on top of her, harassing every inch of skin she had. She had marks on her neck, her sweater slightly torn, and bruises everywhere. Myungsoo was using his complete force on her and he was drunk. He smelled of alcohol so badly that the boys groaned at him.

She was helpless, trembling under his cold touches while pushing him away. She was struggling and he was forcing her to stay silent. Hoya was the quickest to react to push him away and punched him as hard as he could. Myungsoo stumbled on his feet, lips bleeding, and soon his handsome face would be covered in bruises. He passed out while Jieun stayed still with a blank expression. Her hands still struggled, as if he was still on top of her. The boys gathered around her and Sungjong started crying.

Woohyun helped her to get back on her feet while Sunggyu shook his head. They were in a very good term and something like this happened. He pitied her. The boys knew Lee Ji Eun hated to be pitied but they pitied her this time. She looked so helpless, broken, lonely, and fragile. Once she stood up, she almost fell back. Her feet hurt; there were bruises on her legs. Woohyun let her leaned on him. She was trembling, but did not cry. Her eyes were very blank. She looked exactly like that day, when Pil Suk attempted another suicide and was put under a comatose. She looked hopeless.

“Hey… Hey, it’s okay. It’s okay.” He whispered slowly and softly. He patted his head and her hair. He knew how traumatize she must be. Kim Myungsoo was out of his mind and Woohyun will make sure he will pay for this. This was worse than her cycle of hurt and hurting. Or was this part of it?

She didn’t cry, even when the fear was so clear in her eyes. She just trembled and whimpered, and struggled each time the horror went back to engulf her. He would hold her and sooth her. Still, she did not cry. He was hoping she would break down and screamed out, crying her eyes out, and let down her guards for a while. What was worse than having a sad person crying was having a sad person silence.

Woohyun wrapped his jacket around her and make sure every inch of her abused skin was covered. Hoya delivered her upstairs, back to his room while the other takes care of Myungsoo. They were all unwilling to take care of him. At least, he should learn his lesson. While Sungjong couldn’t stop crying, the others dragged him back to the eldest cars and comprassed his bruises with an ice pack. If their visual is hurt, they will be get scolded.

Jieun locked herself up back in her room. She stood under the shower for hours, gazing out at nothing. She wanted to feel clean, yet she can’t. The cold and forceful touches still haunted her. She couldn’t feel clean. The mirror made her feel even dirtier with the visible marks on her neck and bruises. She shuddered at it. Still, as painful as it could get, she didn’t cry. She stood under the shower for others, trying to regain back what can’t be regain.

Hoya found out what caused the two to hurt one another. He knew it was partly his childhood friend fault, still she was a child trapped in her mother’s game. He doubted her mom’s knew it would hurt her this much. What could be done when two people who never met pretended to know each other very well? This would happen and neither of them care. He was angry with his fellow, Kim Myungsoo, how could he? He hurt her so much, yet it didn’t seem to be enough. Hoya wanted to torn down the invitation and burn it to ashes. In the other hand, where was Jang Wooyoung?

***

Her manager rushed when she called in the middle of the night. It was two a.m and her hair was still wet, the shower took very long. It was cold and she knew she might get sick, even strong scolded would come from her manager. She did not care. Having to work together for the past years, she and her manager wasn’t close to begin with, but today she needed to ask for help. Her first request will be big and burdensome.

He, Junhyung, found her in the dark alley downtown, near a 24-hour convenient store. She was wearing a black hoody that didn’t seem to belong to her, but another man. She hung her head low. He rushed to her side because she didn’t look okay. The reason why he rushed to her, aside from it was late at night and she must be alone, was her voice. She was a cheerful person and a beautiful one, who smiled professionally and sounded so genuine. Although the two was not close, he at least knew that much about her.

“IU-ssi! I told you before; you can’t wander around in the middle of the night!” He scolded and sat next to her. It was freezing and her hair was wet. “And it’s cold! Do you want to get a cold? You knew how important health is, especially when you’re on a tight schedule everyday!”

“Oppa,” she didn’t sound okay. When she turned her head to face him, he was shocked.

He bought a couple of ice pack from the convenient store, which confused the cashier. It was cold at night, so what would an ice pack be use for? Gently, he pressed the ice pack against her bruise arm and cheek, against the bluish and reddish mark on her neck, and the deep bruise on her stomach. She winced in pain. The coldness haunted her again and she shuddered, while her manager tried to sooth her. She was still trembling.

“What happen?”

“Oppa, I need to leave.” She replied, keeping it short. Before he could ask or let out another words, she handed him the wedding invitation. He looked at her squirly, while she sighed and inhaled deeply. She explained everything.

“How long?”

“The wedding is in two weeks, so maybe a month at least. And the longest might take up to two months.” Jieun shortly replied. “I’m sorry, but I have to leave and take care of this matter.”

“Okay, two months. I’ll try but you need to get back as fast as you could. The company won’t be happy.”

“Okay.”

“What happen to you? Really, IU, did someone stalk you?”

“It’s an aftermath of the sudden wedding.”

Park Junghyun nodded without any further question, pretending her answer was clear enough although he barely understood a thing. He stayed with her throughout the night, while she decided to open up a little more to her manager. It was the first time, the two has ever opened up and shared their story. The first step to get closer.