22

Backstage Couple

Cold sweats dripped down her flawless face. Her fist clenched her peach-colored blanket. She had soft wrinkles on her forehead. She looked troubled. She was fast asleep, it was past midnight where she was supposed to sleep peacefully, yet soon she abruptly shot both her eyes opened with her heavy breathing echoing through the room. Her brown eyes reflected horror, clearly she was having nightmares. Her body was trembling, she was still breathing loudly, horrified after what she had just dreamt of. She brought her hand to her chest, squeezing it tight, badly trying to calm herself down. She soon lean her petite body against the wall, hugging her knee, burying her face.

Two hours past midnight, it was two o’clock in the morning, a bit too early to wake up yet she can’t help it. Again, she found herself waking up at two in the morning for the fifth consecutive time this week. It has gone bad, her sleeping problems, and soon she was having insomnia. She spent nights sleepless, or maybe she could only sleep for an hour or two. Her life suddenly depends on those sleeping pills. It has been this way since that day – the day when her nightmares came back to haunt her, her debut day. Her body stopped trembling after awhile and she managed to calm down. Still, she was having a hard time forgetting her nightmare and fears, horror was clearly reflected from her eyes. She could remember every single thing from her nightmare.

Her trembling hands reached out for her phone, placed on the table next to her. She quickly grabbed it, unlocking it as she pressed some random numbers which she has recently memorized. Hesitation could be seen, before she pressed the green-colored button. She bit her lower lip, glancing at the clock, wondering if she should call. A sigh escaped her plump lips, deciding to press the green-colored button in a desperate manner. She brought her white-colored phone closer to her ear, still slightly trembling after her nightmares. The connecting sound of the phone was slow in a torturing way for her. She hugged her knee closer, burying her face deeper.

At times like this – she looked around – she will always be on her own. These days, loneliness and fear become a close friend of hers – things that she got used to after some daily occasions. Somehow, she became the old Lee Ji Eun who hardly trust others, preferring to be friends with loneliness. She returned to the Lee Ji Eun she used to be. The sounds of the ticking clock echoed through the room, piercing through the silence, killing her slowly.

“Woohyun…”

***

Two hours past midnight and he was fast asleep. There was no doubt that he was tired. His schedule has become full despite the fact that their debut date was pushed back or in reality it was simply an illusion to motivate them in annoying way – lies. He was tired, since it was Friday when he could finally rest after the long busy week. His training has just finished an hour ago and he immediately collapse on to his bed, fast asleep without even bothering to change his clothes which was soaked in sweat.

He shared his room with Sunggyu, the only one who could sleep peacefully and quietly. Woohyun isn't a heavy sleeper, unlike Dongwoo and Myungsoo. The slightest sound could wake him up, snores would be a bother, that's why sleeping time is important to him since he rarely sleeps well. And today was one of those days where he could sleep well.

It was quite funny, how the two has become good friends or maybe good acquaintance. Friends may be too much for the two since at times they would fight and hated each other. But it was better than how it used to be. People were glad, the INFINITE and also Jieun. Now that they share the same room, they grew closer to each other. And hopefully, the term friend won't be too much for them.

Since he rarely sleeps well, he hated those who bothered his sleeping time. His phone was usually off during the night. But these days, he let his phone ring in the middle of the night, despite the curse that would fly out each time it rings. Today too was no different, he cursed out as his phone rings loudly. He violently grabbed his phone, almost crushing it to tiny little pieces. He groaned in annoyance, followed by Sunggyu who demands silence through the night.

"Hello," his tone wasn't friendly at all, it was cold and angry.

"Woohyun..." the sweet and soothing voice echoed through the room. It was shaking, unlike how he knew. Her voice managed to bring back some of his senses as he pulled himself up and went out for some fresh air. Her voice warns him of how broken she was and how he should control his temper.

"Jieun," he called out after managing his temper. It was her fifth time this week, calling him in the middle of the night. He could sense her guilty pleasure.

"A… are... are you sleeping?" Her voice reflected horror and fear, also fragments of guilt that he could sense. He ruffled his hair in frustration and heaved a sigh at her stupid question. Yet he didn't have the gut to yell at her, he didn't want to break her.

"I… was," he hesitantly answered.

"I... I'm sorry. You... barely sleep and I keep... on bothering you," she sounded frustrated and desperate. Her voice was still shaking.

I barely sleep, how about you Jieun? You can't even sleep. You don't even sleep. I'm nothing but fine compared to you.

The thoughts passed his mind, anxiety and fear dwelled inside him, worried at how she was doing. Is she okay? How is she? Is she crying? What happen? Those thoughts passed his mind, leaving their conversation hang in the air with the suffocating silence that surrounds them.

"No, no. It's okay," he spoke, realizing how long the silence has been around. "Jieun, what's wrong? Where are you?" He asked those ridicioulus question despite the fact that he does know the answer.

***

She lifted her face, after burying it for a long time. Jieun, what's wrong? Where are you? Those questions managed to snap her out of it. She lifted her gaze off the ground, observing her surroundings. Her hand was still shaking, her phone was shaking too. She was unable to hold it well. She scrunched her nose, then her forehead which caused soft wrinkles to appear. Her eyes were puffy red.

There she was, in the far-end-corner of her spacious room in her mansion. She moved back a week after her debut failure. And since then, nightmare started to haunt her down. There she was, looking pathetic and miserable, messy and ruined, frustrated and desperate - lost. She hugged her knee tight, burying her face from time to time, her body trembling. She was all alone and she was lonely. The silence filled the room as her fear and insecurity doubled up. It was a cold and dark night; she wrapped herself inside a warm piece of blanket, seeking for warmth. Instead, she felt the coldness slipping through the thickness of it, slipping through the warmth. She felt even colder under the blanket.

"Jieun, what is it this time? What is it that scares you?" Woohyun asked after the long silence that once again left their conversation hanging in the thin air.

His words snapped her out of her train of thoughts. She shook her head and brought her phone closer to her ear. She stopped trembling for a while, but soon her breathing turned heavy and her heart pace in an incredible rate which may cause her to blow. She remembered those scenes from her past that were forcefully brought back to the present simply to haunt her. Soon, she trembled even more.

"I..." he realized how bad her condition was, "I.. saw Pil Suk. I.. dream about her.. that day... when she tried to kill herself. I... her blood was dripping down... she was not breathing.. and her blood... her blood was everywhere." She once again buried her face and sobbed soundlessly.

"Hey... hey... listen to me. Jieun, listen to me," he gently console her. "Breath in... hold it... breath out... slowly Jieun. Breath slowly and calm down." He let the silence filled the air for a short period. "It's a dream. It's a nightmare. It's not real. It was the past and she was fine. She is fine. She is living happily in Japan. She will be fine. Everything will be fine. Trust me." He said.

It has been this way for the past week. She would be having trouble sleeping, a bad insomnia. She would be haunted by nightmares from the past and he would be her comfort. She would search for him, simply for her own comfort and consolation. It has always been him being her source of comfort and consolation, but never had he owned her heart. That sole lucky man was unbeatable; Woohyun has to admit he has no chance standing against him. He wondered why at times like this, she didn't search for him. Deep down, he does know the answer, he was solely afraid to admit it. She was broken and disappointed.

A few moments later, he realized how she has calmed down. He sighed in relief, glad he could be a help. "Jieun, has Myungsoo come to visit?" Earning long silence in return, Woohyun knew the answer.

"No."

"You should go back to sleep."

"Woohyun... can you sing for me?" She requested. She could hear him sighs from the other line. "Just a short and simple one. I promise I'll sleep well." She could hear another sigh but soon smile in delight when he started singing.

***

He badly wanted to be by her side, to calm her down when she needed him so badly. He wanted to be there for her at all cost. Honestly, his heart still longed for her, despite the fact that it was wrong and he needed to let go sooner or later. But he simply can't. He doubts he could ever let go and at the same time, he couldn't be by her side. His friendship with Myungsoo was bad these days, especially since his visit to Jieun's debut. Myungsoo was keeping an eye on him and coming to Jieun's place would only worsen things. And he knew it would only upset Jieun.

But he did wonder on why hasn't he visited her yet. Myungsoo needs to resent his deeds a lot. Woohyun was pretty sure that he does realize he had hurt her. And it also bothered him how Jieun would search comfort from him instead of Myungsoo. Jieun and Myungsoo, they both lean and support each other a lot. But then why? He stood in front of the door for quite a while after a long lonely walk late at night.

"Who is it?" A voice asked, in deep tone of curiosity and dislikes. It startled him, cutting off his train of thoughts as he looked up to find a figure standing in front of him with annoyance clearly reflected by his expression.

And how fortunate, "Myungsoo..." he called out, finding the last person he'd likely to meet at times like this, to be standing right before him. He heaved a sigh.

"Who is it? I've seen you receiving phone calls lately, late at night then you'll disappear somewhere before returning half an hour later," Kim Myungsoo said, demanding answers.

Surprise, surprise. Nam Woohyun could only laugh in sarcasm, how obsessive that man can be. It must have been hard on him, keeping an eye on the mighty Nam Woohyun, him and his every move at night, when Kim Myungsoo himself is a heavy sleeper. He demands answer but Woohyun doubted the fact that he needs one. It was clear that the two of them does know who have just called.

The silence was an answer to everything, including the answer to.his question. He grew angry yet exploding and hurting this man would only hurt Jieun even more. He had hurt her more than enough.

"I am going to ask you one last time," he said, "do you –“

"No, I don't," Woohyun cut him off. "Even if I do, she's owned. I'm a best friend... she has a lover. She only has eyes for her lover." Woohyun shot a glare. "I..often wonder why though... why did he break her? Why didn't he resent and go to visit her? Why can't he be there when she needs him? Why can't she find comfort in him? I envied him a lot; I can give all my life in exchanged of his place... why can't he see that?" Sarcasm could be heard clearly.

He heaved a sigh and walked pass him, shook his head and closed his eyes. This won't be good. Not at all. And Myungsoo was dumbfounded by his words.